PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Greetings!

JCY
September 8th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Well, what an ordeal I had at the dentist's yesterday. By the time I paid on the bill & made another appt., I was there for 2 hrs. & 45 min.! My appt. was for a crown prep. The tooth next to it had an amalgam filling, so we decided to remove that mercury. It was good he did it, because there was decay underneath. The crown prep part went ok. The problem came with making the temp. cap. They took impressions 3 times, one of which was done by the dentist, not the asst. Each time the plastic broke. In the end, they used an aluminum cap from their supply. They used to use these prior to the plastic ones. It works. No one can see it, because it's in the back. The dental asst. felt bad. I gave her a hug & said it was okay. She said she was so glad it was me not some other patient who might have been difficult.

Then I made a run out to Walmart to pick up my Rx & a few items. I bought Panda Express (Chinese) take-out on the way home. It will do for 2 meals.

The only sewing I did was to shorten the sleeves on 3 shirts. My goal today is to get the freezer defrosted.

KPH
September 8th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Good Morning Joy and those who follow,

What an ordeal, Joy! My dental assistant had one of those days with me. She had the big computerized machine that takes the 3D pictures of your teeth the first time when she hit save, everything disappeared. She tried again, same results. Luckily they another one of those machine. The dentist came in to try that one, it seemed to work and she finished up. It just took forever!

We got bad news yesterday, Chris's cancer is back. We don't have many details yet. It's so sad, his dad just went through his second cancer battle with an 8 hour prostate surgery about the same time. I'm worried about Aunt Jean with both her son and grandson going through all of this, it's taking it's toll on her.

Mike and I went off to Ikea to hunt for the rug I'd seen to go into the kids room. Once I felt it, I didn't like it at all. It was way too rough to sit on the floor to work on. I did find a desk that I liked, a good size for Jonathan to write on. Once we get the cords from the TV taken care of and the cedar chest moved, we'll see where to put it.

Today, I'm getting a window estimate. We'll see if they'll do the two I want or try to get me to do the whole house. lol, not happening, I can tell them that right now.

Better get started, the kiddos will be here a little later so their dad can pack for their Nashville trip. Mike and I are going to get the Christmas stuff all sorted and taken care of while they're gone.

Prayers for those in need, for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 8th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Good morning ladies,

Oh Joy. What a long time at the dentist. I guess it's better they found the decay on the tooth next to your future crown. I can't believe you managed to do all you did after dental work. While I can take pain. I can't take sitting around that long. Hoping the rest of your dental work is short.

Katrina, you are a bundle of energy. I can't believe all that you get done, and teaching the kiddos. I guess motivation is energizing and getting it done is your motto. So sorry about everyone having cancer and treatments. It's an ugly disease.

Yesterday I ran errands and also cut back plants and removed the climbing beans from the racks. I also was BURNING WEEDS with my new toy. Oh, those weeds don't stand a chance. I did most of the patio and walkways. After an hour or more, my arms were getting sore, but I persevered. I will check in a few days to see where I missed some

Today my mom is 95, so we are a small group of family having lunch with her. I will pick up the cupcakes I ordered. I figured this would be more interesting than a large cake, more variety. Then DH will pick up DS#2 to visit, as DS#1 is dropping by with the 2 GDs. I guess it's family day. Tomorrow DH hopes to go gliding and I will just hang around house resting. If I want a road trip, there's a fair nearby that I hear has a huge quilt display.

It's going to be cooler today in mid 60s, and I like that for a break of heat. Have a good day everyone.

baslp
September 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Good morning. It is raining here and the forecast is for more rain through Monday. Then we have to watch and see where the next huuicane Florence heads.
I am taking the train into Philly to have lunch with a friend. I hope to get some sewin. I still have 2 rows to rip apart.
Have a good day.

Cathy F
September 8th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Morning all,

A rainy day here but looks like it may be clearing as the sun is starting to come out.

I am happy to say my stint making snowman and witch wreaths for our club is officially over. Yesterday was the final sewing day and quite a few club members turned out to help. Everyone lent a hand and did a great job!

Today I have housework that has been put on the back burner till my sewing project was done soooo today will be spent catching up on the house and getting fabric and sewing notions back upstairs where they belong. The downstairs looks like an explosion of sewing things!

Hopefully next week I can get back to some of my sewing projects that are half finished before they fall in the never to be finished pile. I also found a new to me embroidery site that has captured my attention and want some time to persue it.

Well time to get a move on, wishing everyone a good weekend!

Ginny B
September 8th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Good morning. It's a cool morning here. Had a bit of rain earlier but now it's just cloudy.

I had a great afternoon with Henry yesterday. I had promised him that if it wasn't hot or raining we could go to the playground after school. The weather cooperated so we did. He has so much energy to burn off. Then after we went home he just wanted to play out in the yard. Had a fun time with him playing soccer, volleyball and just running around. I was tired afterwards though. Lol

Joy, what an ordeal at the dentist for you. I hope your next visit is much better. Katrina, sorry to hear the bad news. I will keep Chris and family in my thoughts and prayers. Suzanne, you go girl with that weed burner! And Happy Birthday to your mom. Baslp, enjoy your lunch and definitely keep an eye on Florence. Cathy, what is the new embroidery site you are checking out?

I guess it's time to get back to the chores for today. Have a good day all.

KarenC
September 8th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Good morning everyone. Joy, that was a long time in the dentist chair! I had a similar visit once when they were putting a crown in. Took 3 trys, finally the dentist came in and said leave it in and he filed it down while in my mouth. It went in OK, was just a pain to take out to file it down. Told him it was a good thing it wasn't the first one he did, because he wouldn't have had a chance to do a second. Oh well, it's secure.
Katrina, sorry about those cancers. It would be nice for them to find a cure.
Suzanne, so does this weed burner just kill the grass and leave it looking brown? You've got my curiosity.

Well, yesterday I played in the sewing room. Finally finished the paper piecing of a mini quilt. (phot in different post) It was a challenge, and is not perfect, but I learned a lot. I hope to get it quilted before going to retreat. Fabric came in for borders and backing of a customer t shirt quilt, so I'm washing it now. That is my project for today. Need to mow the lawn, but will wait till later.

Prayers for those in need. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Simply Quilting
September 8th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Good morning!

Joy, so sorry to hear about all the dental issues.

Katrina, prayers for Chris and the family. Being able to actually feel the rug is a huge plus. There have been some really cute ABC and others that I have liked but the feel of them has been so rough that I have never bought one.

Suzanne, neat your mom and my daughter share the same birthday. The plan had been to go out for lunch but with her and little one having hand, foot and mouth right now, those plans have been put on hold until they are better. Thankfully, both have what I would consider a very mild case - most is just little red dots but their mouths are the worse with sores. Popsicles have been their friend in unlimited amounts to help with the pain and keep them hydrated. Little one is one the mend but dd is still in the middle of hers.

I am hoping to get some sewing done today. Not much has been getting done in the sewing room with little one not feeling well. Yesterday I did get the 4 corner blocks of the second border cut out. Today I am hoping to get the words cut for the second border and maybe get the second border sewn and finished. Then it is waiting for the university to approve the fabric design for the final border. This quilt was suppose to have been done at the beginning of August but it has been held up due to waiting for the approval of the designs by the university.

The other project that I worked on last night after the children went to bed was cutting out a jellyroll/layer cake quilt to have as an easy project to work on a the retreat. I did a quick put together of the fabric for the blocks but may have to look them over before I decide to sew them together as it was late when I was putting them together.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone :)

KPH
September 8th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Well, I caved. The window guy went through his spiel. I watched, asked questions, studied the construction, looked at the finishes inside and out. He figured out what the price would be for just the two back windows. I started thinking about the bathroom window, it needs replacing.

I started thinking about it. Howard and I were going to eventually do all the windows. This guy wasn't pushy at all. The more I thought about it, in the long run the energy savings would be worth it to me. So we struck a deal, he knocked some off, and they're going to collect data on our energy consumption from the year we've lived here (I have all the bills so I can gather that data), and see what kind of savings we'll get with their windows. Remember, we have solar panels and this company is guaranteeing a 40% savings on our energy consumption. With our power bill being -$ some months, it will be interesting to see if we have more months with a negative power bill (that's always a good feeling).

It looks like they'll have everything ready for Oct. instillation. I'm looking forward to it, especially if it helps cut the noise from the ramp behind the house.

JCY
September 8th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Back again ~ I got the freezer defrosted! Yay! It's always a big job, but I'm glad when it's done. I defrost ~every 6 mos. The top coils always have the heaviest build up of frost. If it gets too thick, I can't stack the containers. I use my hair dryer to get the last of the ice removed. I wanted to get this job done before making chicken soup on Mon.

I just watched Jenny's yest. tutorial on the star pattern. I really don't like making such small blocks. If I use this pattern, I'll use larger pieces -- maybe 4.5" for a 12.5" unfinished block. I certainly wouldn't make the 2.5" HSTs the way she did; it seemed wasteful of the fabric. Of course, I guess it's all about using pre-cuts to make it easier for some folks. I also was thinking it would be a way to use up scraps. Those leftover binding strips would work, or trimming from finished quilts. I always like scrappy quilts.

Katrina, sorry to learn of the cancer return. So many people are dealing with this dreaded disease.

Terry, were you able to get your machine fixed? You certainly had a long way to go for repair.

I hope Hurricane Florence stays off shore. The spaghetti map showed several possibilities all up & down the E. coast. My son's family lives in MD; they usually miss most of the brunt of the storms, but during the time they've lived in that area, they've been through two hurricanes. During one, their power was off for at least 3 days. They had to eat up the food in their freezer. They used the grill outside to cook. They're prepared now with a generator, which at times they've used. The power lines all are above ground there, so if the trees get blown down, so do the power lines.

Well, I ate the 2nd half of my Chinese lunch from yest. I think I'm ready to go sew awhile.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 9th, 2018, 12:10 AM
Suzanne, so does this weed burner just kill the grass and leave it looking brown? You've got my curiosity.

Karen, I am using it for weeds between the patio stones. We have a meandering walkway from front to back and 80% of yard is stone work. Somehow the weeds are growing on top of the filled cracks. It sets the weed on fire and it burns to disintegration. I did use it on a few weeds in the lawn, but you need to be careful if your grass is dry as it could start a fire. I also didn't use too close to the wooden fence. Overall it took me a little over an hour, which would have taken me two+'days by pulling the roots. I am watching to see how long it lasts. My neighbour says his don't grow back.