PDA

View Full Version : Realtors

Carolnnc
September 8th, 2018, 12:02 AM
We met with two of the three realtors so now I'm coming here to "let it go, let it go." I feel conflicted & stressed. I keep complaining to DH that Realtor #2 wants me to take all the curtains down, remove the bath mats & tablecloth, put the ottoman in storage, kill the hydrangea bush, take a broom to the part of the fence that is so far back on the property that you need a donkey to take you there & take down the little flag in the front flower bed that says "Welcome." (this is a partial list folks) I'm forking out a fortune for storage where 98% of belongings now reside. My house looks like a motel room at this point and he wants more.

Realtor #1 Female, early 60's, 35 yrs. experience, personality was blah, Durham native. She was nice, said the house should sell quickly, offered no comments as to things we should do to help with getting our price and explained the legal part of her as our agent. I considered her a dolphin.

Realtor #2 Male, realtor for 1 year, early 30's, straight to the point personality, gave lots of information about selling process, said house should sell within two weeks. Had a lot of "remove this" in house items & outside. Seems to be driven & would get us the best price without a lot of hassle from the buyer. I considered him a shark.

I felt realtor #1 wouldn't work as hard as realtor#2 to really sell the house.
I have mixed feelings about realtor#2. I know we need a strong realtor who will work very hard to get us the best price so I'm trying to decide if I can come to terms with his brash take charge personality. I liked that he's hungry to sell. Also we have 25 people a day moving to Durham & a lot of them are young so he would connect with a lot of potential buyers. There's just something hanging in my gut so that I can't say "yes, he's the one."

Realtor #3 will meet with us on Monday. I know he's 47 yrs. old & in real estate for 20 years.

I'm wondering what #3 will be like. Hopefully he's a mash up of #1 & #2.

We have to go ahead & get the house on the market soon so I can't keep interviewing realtors.

I know this is a stressful process but I thought I'd be able to handle it better.

Thanks for being here & listening.

Simply Quilting
September 8th, 2018, 12:09 AM
After you described both of them and had not meet with the third, I am hoping that the third is the perfect one to sell your house.

KarenC
September 8th, 2018, 12:51 AM
Let's pray for #3!

GrammaBabs
September 8th, 2018, 12:52 AM
This is exactly why hubs and I sold our house ourselves... we owned it, so no worries.... at the time there was a website..."I sold my house.com".... and they even had lists of lawyers to use locally if we needed....GB

Carolnnc
September 8th, 2018, 01:21 AM
This is exactly why hubs and I sold our house ourselves... we owned it, so no worries.... at the time there was a website..."I sold my house.com".... and they even had lists of lawyers to use locally if we needed....GB

Several people who work with DH have asked him why I'm not selling the house. I read a little on the web about doing it yourself & wasn't sure I could manage all the aspects of selling.

Mimi_Howard
September 8th, 2018, 02:28 AM
I feel your frustration and I am only dealing with getting bids for termite tenting. I am not looking to sell - just to gas those little critters. I am standing firm on JUST fumigation services for now, repairs will have to wait for other things in my house need repair first. They don't like hearing that. I have 3rd inspector showing up next Friday. Actually 4th call I made, number 3 person was such a turn off on the phone to me I didn't let it even get to making appt for inspection. Oh and that company, man oh man so many numbers to punch on the phone to "ensure" I was connected to the person that could best service my needs. AND they would not even be sending a company rep to inspect, they would send person from the fumigation company to prepare the bid. I understand most do subcontract out the actual fumigation part, but I don't want THEM to be my face to face contacts!

Astatoo
September 8th, 2018, 07:32 AM
When we sold our last house, one realtor had a long list of things to do and remove, we told her no, the house was going on market like it was or not. She said get back to me in a week or so. We went with a realtor who said the house was fine as is, it went on the market and was purchased within a couple days by a couple who were working with #1! Just goes to show that realtors do not know everything.

DeniseSm
September 8th, 2018, 08:01 AM
All real estate selling is local. So the question to ask the realtor is how is the real estate market for sellers doing here? If it is a sellers market you don't need to depersonalize your house. If the market is soft than you do need to depersonalize. Both real estate agents should have given you comparable home sales. How long did those comparable remain on the market? How much did they sell for compared to list price? Do you feel that the comparable really were similar to your house ( vaguely the same age of house, close to the same size, of similar quality?)

The more you put in storage before putting the house on the market the less stressful it will be. The last house we sold we had multiple arguments with multiple bidders over our furniture. They wanted different pieces of furniture included in the sale. How crazy is that? Needless to say we did not accept their bids.

JulieC
September 8th, 2018, 08:02 AM
I have not sold a house yet, but I went through 3 realtors on my journey to purchase a house. Realtor #1 would tell me "you don't want to live here" and showed me nothing but unique fixer upper opportunities (I am not a fixer upper kind of gal). I almost bought a condo with Realtor #2, except the condo was being sold by the owner's son, who was not a realtor. She spent more time acting as his agent than mine; the deal fell through and we did not part on good terms. Realtor #3 was perfect for me. He was a retired school teacher, worked as a realtor part-time, and had no problem with my going online to look at houses for sale and sending him a list of where I wanted to go.

If your gut tells you #2 is not the one, he isn't. Third realtor is the charm!

auntstuff
September 8th, 2018, 08:02 AM
The best realtor to work with is the one with the most and quickest sales, not the flashy one who wants to work you to death trying to impress you.

Tracie T
September 8th, 2018, 09:10 AM
We have used the same realtor for selling our last house and my mom's house. She always asks how fast do we want to sell. I know that sounds like a weird question because most times people want to sell quickly. She means do you want it priced to sell, not give it away but not such a high price that it will sit on the market for months on end. We always opted to price to sell since we didn't want to be paying for 2 households forever. The one real estate agency puts such astronomical prices on the houses that they try to sell out of greed and they sit forever.

Another thing our realtor always told us was to take pictures off the walls, take the appliances that aren't used daily off the counters, basically de-clutter. It didn't need to be a "ghost town" if we were still living there, just removing enough stuff to give the rooms a bigger feel.

Taking her advice on those things helped us to sell our house in 5 days and my mother's in 3 days.

I pray your 3rd realtor is the one. Not a deadbeat or one that is too overbearing. Good luck!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 8th, 2018, 09:24 AM
That is a dilemma for sure. I agree with DeniseSM with the market conditions.

In the end, remember the agent is working for you and should have your best interests in mind. The listing agent is most likely not the selling agent, unless they already have a list of people looking to buy in your area. So pick one you actually like and feel is the most honest.

When DH sold both our houses to buy one, both houses were listed and sold within two days with multiple offers over asking price. I met this agent when I bought her house, (didn't know it at the time it was hers and I was working with another agent). We have since become good friends, and just happens to be one of the city's top agents. She handles all our deals, even when we bought a condo to rent to DH son.

Best of luck.

KPH
September 8th, 2018, 09:38 AM
We went through three agents selling both of our houses. First, didn't do much, but I'd worked with her and felt obligated. Second, the first recommended because she had experience in our area. The second sold the first house and did nothing on the second. When her contract was up, several agents contacted us. We with with Zanthia, she got the house sold in no time flat. The only problem we had was with the buyers agent.

I hope # 3 will be the perfect match!

Carlie Wolf
September 8th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Carol just because a realtor says get rid of this or that doesn't mean you have to :-) You can use what they say as guidance but that is all it is and as you see it varies from realtor to realtor. btw, I for one, would kill for a mature hydrangea bush. Also many people want the curtains to go with the house. If they don't they can take them down.

I don't envy you, I've always hated selling a house and hated the closings even more. It's too stressful for me. One thing I always did was had an "as is" clause in the contracts. I really really couldn't abide by having the buyer counting light bulbs at the closings and trying to deduct more dollars at that point.

I hope it gets sold really fast and painlessly.

Rhonda K
September 8th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Meet with # 3. Hopefully, the person will match your expectations. If not, move on to other realtors. You can schedule them now for interviews and cancel if needed. There are plenty of other hungry realtors so don't put limits on the interview number. It may take a few more.

Are the bath mats on the floor or hanging on tub/bar for the next use? Remove them for showings. No rugs around the toilet. No matter how clean the potential buyers think EWW!

Keep the curtains if they are recent styles and look tidy. Be sure to open them for showings.

Remember, this is a business transaction. Separate the emotions from the part that says "your home". Look at everything from a potential buyers perspective. If the fence is in good repair and just needs cleaning, get it done. If it is a knock-down for new buyers, leave as is.

It sounds like you are in the right place and right time. Best wishes on the sale!

PS: Remove and replace any attached items before listing if you are taking with you. Example, light fixture, grandma's vintage dresser and or drapes, etc. As mentioned buyers will want that particular item.

BethB
September 8th, 2018, 10:28 AM
I have never heard of people interviewing realtors, but it sounds like a good idea. I am not ready to sell my house at this point, but I would have a dilemma when and if I do. My niece is a realtor and her dad, my brother-in-law, is also a sometime realtor. That could keep me from ever selling my house.

Nancy

Claire Hallman
September 8th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Remember that all realtors are working for themselves, not you, not the buyer. They want to sell as quickly as possible for the best price because that is how they make their payday.

As stated earlier, just because #2 said to remove something, it is up to you if you do it or not.

I don't know about where you live but here the law is that anything attached to the walls is part of the house. If you want to take your draperies, take them down. If you can leave them with the house then leave them up. Do open them during showings. Draperies add warmth to a house, help make it a home. If you are trying to appeal to young people you probably need to remove them unless they are neutral side panels. Former drapery lady here.:D

nativetexan
September 8th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Oh I wish you were in Colorado. I could recommend my realtor there. She did a bang up job!! Fixer uppers bought my house as it. Got a good deal! the realtor i used to find a house in Texas sucked. Good luck!!!

Carolnnc
September 8th, 2018, 02:33 PM
All real estate selling is local. So the question to ask the realtor is how is the real estate market for sellers doing here? If it is a sellers market you don't need to depersonalize your house.

The local tv station had a piece yesterday & stated that Durham is the 5th hottest market in the nation. During the summer houses in the area were going under contract in nine MINUTES & the bidding wars were insane. The house across the street didn't even go on the market since the realtor had a couple looking to buy.
Both realtors said it was about a two week market at this point but that's not what I'm hearing on the news.

Carolnnc
September 8th, 2018, 02:34 PM
The best realtor to work with is the one with the most and quickest sales, not the flashy one who wants to work you to death trying to impress you.

That's what was floating in the back of my brain that I couldn't grasp because I'm so tired. Thank you!

KPH
September 8th, 2018, 03:45 PM
I have to add a side note about 'attached to the house'... in the paperwork it was listed, my porch swing was not part of the deal.

Dad had an 8 foot long cabinet made to fit against the wall in the living room. The buyer's real estate agent thought it was built in and was pissed when they came for a walk through and it was gone. Good thing the client was there, she was thrilled it wasn't there. I had my say at closing, I told the woman that her real estate agent almost cost them the deal. I was so over that bitty.

Prayers for a stress free sale and closing.

You might want to invest in a little St. Joseph.

Carolnnc
September 8th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Prayers for a stress free sale and closing. You might want to invest in a little St. Joseph.

Thank you for the prayers Katrina. I'll check for a St. Joseph.

Two stories.

Years ago I saved a Virgin Mary statue from going to the county dump. She sits beside my rocking chair on the front porch & we have many conversations. People who know me will stop, look & say "you aren't Catholic". My reply is, "don't have to be."

I worked at a private school & my boss was the most wonderful red headed, freckled, Irish, Catholic woman. One day she heard me talking & asked who I was talking to of which I replied St. Anthony. She gave me a puzzled look & said, "you're Baptist." I laughed & said he knows that but he still helps me out. One day she heard me talking to Tony & called out from her office asking who I was talking to because she knew I was alone. I said I was talking to St. Anthony. She said but I heard you say Tony. I said yes, we are very close. She came out of her office laughing & asked if all Southerners were crazy. Yes, we are.

nativetexan
September 8th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Oh my, I love that. "somewhere in the South". love that too!!! I've been told to lay off the endearments but too old to do that now.

grammaterry
September 8th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Personally, I'd go with young and hungry as long as this is his full time profession. His points are valid . Just got back from Clemmons with DD and we were talking housing in her neighborhood. We took a walk and she said that one of the houses she had looked at was back up for sale. She's lived there 12 years. I said, why did you chose yours over that and she said, ours was empty and I could imagine MY STUFF and the other one had all there stuff in it and I just felt like I was going to be tricked by things I couldn't see around. A staged house will often get multiple bidding wars going on.

jjkaiser
September 9th, 2018, 01:01 AM
My SIL just sold her house yesterday and it was on the market for 9 months. Around here that is forever. She got divorced a few years ago and her and her ex decided to wait till their youngest graduated from HS before selling. So her ex insisted on doing a FSBO which meant it didnt go into the MLS listings and that is i am sure why it didn't sell. They finally listed with a realtor about 3 weeks ago. Sometimes you just have to suck it in and agree to fork over the money for the commission if you want to sell in a reasonable amount of time.

Also my previous house was in the market for 10 months. Not one single offer. Well I went and bought a St Anthony statue and buried it in the front yard and two weeks later we sold the house. My dh is a Unitarian but I am an atheist so I am not sure if it helped or was a coincidence.

Carolnnc
September 9th, 2018, 11:14 PM
We interview #3 tomorrow morning. I'm just not giving the appointment any thought & will deal with what comes tomorrow.

Yesterday a lady stopped to buy some flower pots I had by the road. She'd moved from the coast in the last few months & started telling me about how wonderful her realtor was. I realized I'd met the realtor a year ago when the house next door was for sale & I liked her. I called her & left her message. She called me back & told me in detail about the conversation we'd had which surprised me.
So, she is coming at 6:00 Tuesday.

If there was any way we could afford the mortgage when DH retires I think I'd sit down in the floor & declare I'm not going to move.

Vonnie
September 10th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Is refinancing an option to get the mortgage lower?

Carolnnc
September 10th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Is refinancing an option to get the mortgage lower?

Unfortunately not. The property & sales taxes have skyrocketed here in the last few years. Our water bill is double because we are considered "county out" & the water bills have gone up three times in the last several years. They are building houses all around us & as we age it's no longer safe to get out of the driveway or to our mailbox.

Also DH wants to move way out in the country so he can have a mini farm. That's been his dream since he was a teenager & I want him to have that.

nativetexan
September 10th, 2018, 01:30 PM
I feel for you on property taxes and water bills. they are both extremely high where I live (which is right next to a highway they are about to make into a four lane). Grrrrr.