PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Dentures

kaydee
September 6th, 2018, 04:04 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with permanent dentures. I'm asking for someone who at age 63 is facing the decision whether to go with braces (invisaline sp?) & many caps which would be about a two year process or to go with full mouth extraction replaced with permanent dentures.

Pros of the long process is that he keeps his teeth, and I hear caps look more real than dentures. Cons is the lengthy time period and I question how often these caps need to be replaced.

Pros of the permanent dentures is the much shorter time involved. Cons are that he loses all of his teeth.

Prices for the two are about the same.

What he is wondering is how people have adjusted to the permanent dentures. People say when you get them you'll feel like there is something in your mouth, but he's wondering if you get used to that and get to the point where you don't notice them.

Also, if anyone has had any other problems with them, your input would be greatly appreciated.

On the other hand, if you know of anyone who has had extensive reconstruction with caps, and they've either had a good eperience or bad, we'd like to hear those stories, too.

Of course, we've talked to dentists involved, but most seem biased to what they do -- either caps or dentures.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

KPH
September 6th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what people say. I have lots of crowns, but that's been over the course of years, and they do wear out or you can get cavities at the roots. That I know about.

There are commercials, where the patient goes in one day and leaves with a full set of teeth. I don't know how that works either.

geegeequilts
September 6th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I 've had bad teeth most of my life & was always needing visits to the dentist. My Mom & Dad had a family of 5 kids & money was always tight. Fast forward to 2 years ago...my FIL & MIL passed within 3 weeks of each other & from that my DH received some money. Because of my dental history, I decided to bite the bullet (no pun intended) & have the remaining teeth extracted & got dentures. I have never been able to get used to them & complained to dentist that I was unhappy & tried to get them adjusted to no avail. I told them I wanted to be able to eat as in the past. They asked what I wanted to eat I just replied "anything, even if it's just a sandwich". I can't bite or chew with my dentures in so most of the time I don't wear them. It's very upsetting but with the health issues I've had the past 2 years, I don't put dentures on my top 10 things I stress over.

Having said all that, if the person's having a choice of the 2 things just from my own experience I say go for the braces. If at a later time dentures become medically needed, well, I don't know what to tell you. Having your teeth pulled out...all at once....yowzer. The process was VERY painful even with novacaine (sp?) . I hope I haven't freaked you out because every patient is different & each has his/her own issues with things. I'm being honest. Who's to say what kinds of problems I'd had if I hadn't had my teeth pulled. Just, if you can, take your time deciding which you do. One last point, they won't tell you that you lose your sense of smell/taste when you lose your teeth.

I'll be thinking about you as you go thru this process. Hope all goes well.

Gina

Hulamoon
September 6th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I asked this question a couple of months ago, but it was understanding they are called implants. I'll go find the thread. My mom and aunt both had dentures and I noticed how bad their breath was. They had them done in a 'home' office. I remember sitting in the living room waiting. I think back now that it was so strange going to a regular dentists office. lol

Here it is.
https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=73153&highlight=implants

auntstuff
September 6th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I've had dentures for 20 years. They are even MORE a PITA than they were when I got them. Look into implants. They have become MUCH more affordable.

kaydee
September 6th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Ok, just to be clear, these dentures would be permanently attached. They apparently put four implants in your jaw, then screw the dentures into something. You'd have to go to a dentist to take them out.

But I wonder about implants, too. I think they are hugely expensive, when you are talking a full mouth.

I think they're saying he doesn't need implants because he does have teeth. They're just so worn down, he hardly has any front teeth left. So they're saying caps rather than implants.

Hulamoon
September 6th, 2018, 05:45 PM
I think those are called partial dentures? I lost my health insurance when my dh passed. I got health insurance back, but haven't looked into dental yet. I was going to go in for a normal checkup and consultation. Has your friend gone in for one?

JCY
September 6th, 2018, 06:21 PM
I'm keeping my own teeth if at all possible! Over the past few years, I've had some of my crowns replaced due to decay at the base of them. I had one tooth extracted (a back molar) b/c I didn't want to pay for a crown & a root canal. I wish I'd had the root canal & had a new crown put in. I don't like the empty space there. This year I've had 4 crowns done. Two were new. My 2 front teeth had old crowns that were 43 y.o. & needed to be replaced. So that's 4 done thus far. I have one to go. I'm very pleased with how the new crowns look. Unfortunately, my dental ins. does not cover crowns or root canals, so it's all been out of pocket expense. At least $1,100./crown. My SIL had dentures for years & hated them. I hear people complain of not being able to chew meat very well. Also complaints of them not fitting well. I think the deciding factor may be what can you afford? Have you researched on the web? That might help you decide.

DeniseSm
September 6th, 2018, 06:36 PM
I had two implants done on my front teeth. One of the implants was done incorrectly causing excruciating nerve damage. After six months of "non invasive" therapy while the pain steadily increased they said the only option left was to remove the implants. In the process of removing the implants they permanently damaged the four adjacent teeth.

So long story short, go with the crowns not the implants.

Around 1% of implant procedures carried out each year result in nerve injuries. If they didn't warn you about this possibility, shame on them.

kaydee
September 6th, 2018, 06:39 PM
As I read about this, I think what the "dentist" is proposing is referred to as "all on four". They implant some, then bridge between them with permanent "dentures".

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 6th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Of all the people I have known with dentures, my parents included, they hated them. They can be ill fitting, and chances are you will need more than a few sets in your lifetime. My mom opted to have all her bottom teeth removed, but could have had bridges instead.

Keep your teeth as long as you can. Your overall health will be much better.

nativetexan
September 6th, 2018, 07:38 PM
I spent almost $900.00 on a one tooth bridge i put in and take out. the Dentist said I couldn't eat with it, too delicate. i wonder if she was putting me on since I'd had to ask for my money back that morning. it took five weeks to get the bridge. Implants are not something i can do. my bones are not good enough! I do eat with the bridge in sometimes. carefully. front tooth. still think they were kidding me. good luck!!

MaryUK
September 6th, 2018, 08:19 PM
My DH has a top denture, he complains that he can't chew or bite properly. Meat has to be very tender and apples etc are out of the question.

My brother has 4 implants costing over 8,000 in total and has had no problems.

I have had crowns and caps for over 20 years and not experienced any problems. I had a bridge put in around 17 years ago and no problems.

I would say keep your teeth as long as you can, even if you need to have some capped.

farmgirlretired
September 6th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Keep your own teeth as long as you can. My old boss had a whole mouth full of implants, after about 5 years he developed a bone infection in his jaw and had to have then all removed. They had to do a transplant of bone from his hip. After all healed in about a year he went back and had implants put back in. Fast forward 3 years, had to have them permently removed. He paid over $3000 per tooth X 2 plus all of the pain and suffering. Believe me all of his employees also suffered.

gracien
September 6th, 2018, 10:39 PM
I would say caps, my m-i-l recently got dentures and is having a terrible time adjusting, she has lost a great deal of weight because she won't eat due to the pain. She's been back and had them adjusted but is still not happy. Keep as much of the original as possible!

chelea
September 6th, 2018, 11:09 PM
I looked into the "All on 4" extensively because it seemed too good to be true. I read some horror stories. Just think about it. Most of us have had a tooth extraction and it isn't fun. Imagine if you had every tooth in your upper or lower jaw extracted and 4 screws implanted. There has to be significant swelling and pain. And once your own teeth are gone...well that's final. I think single implants are fine, but not a whole mouthful at the same time. I would do everything in my power to keep my own teeth. Also, if you lose a tooth and don't replace it you will suffer from significant bone loss over time.

MSN
September 7th, 2018, 06:21 AM
A friend opted for the permanent dentures last year. OMG, they are awful! They do not look realistic at all, and her appearance is now jarring. Furthermore, she has had to change her diet to basically eat only things that are mushy. She also makes a whistling sound when she speaks. There is NO WAY that I would opt for these. Keep your own teeth.

Bubby
September 7th, 2018, 08:00 AM
I have a dental appt this morning to work on a broken crown that's part of a 3-tooth bridge that cost $6000. My bridge is just 5 years old. I'm having a filling for now and think about the other options. Implants would be ideal but with diabetes it could take 3 years for the process to be completed. I have one implant and the initial prep for the implant took 9 months to heal, then there was a bone graft and then the implant. I'm really not interested in going that route again. I may have my bridge redone. Implants are extremely expensive and there are so many other charges that come with them. Also, the dentist who made my bridge is in the middle of a very nasty divorce and has had to quit practicing until the divorce is final, which could take 3 more months, so I had to find a new dentist. I like the new dentist a lot and may stay with him even though he's an hour away. I emailed him over the holiday weekend and he got me in Tuesday morning.

I have done everything possible to keep my teeth because I'm not a candidate for dentures or partials and I think natural teeth are the way to go if possible. I've had at least 7 partials in the past and can't wear them. My advice to your friend is to find a dentist they trust and have an in depth consultation discussing all of the options. I have never heard of permanent dentures. I have heard of magnetic lower dentures because they are the ones that don't fit most of the time.