PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Greetings!

JCY
September 6th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Dark & cool outside. Only in the 50's this a.m. Yest. we were only in the low 70's. It was mostly cloudy with some eve. rain. It's definitely starting to feel like Fall.

After breakfast yest. I headed out to do my errands. I visited my friend Martha's ex (97), who lives at a retirement center. I wasn't sure if he knew of her death. He did. We had a long chat. He was tearful a couple times. I was glad I stopped in to see him. Then it was on to Vitamin Cottage to pick up the case of soy milk I'd ordered. Another groc. store, then Whole Foods, & home. I bought 5 bunches of beets at WF, so the rest of the afternoon I was cooking those & cutting them up for the freezer. Some of the beets were very large; I had to use 3 kettles to cook them. The largest beets took 90 min. to cook. The freezer is getting pretty frosted up. I need to defrost it before I do the next batch of chicken soup. I have to defrost it every 6 mos.

I never made it to the sewing room yest. In the eve. I called 2 elderly friends. I also spent time on the web. Placed an order with Christian Book Dist. for more boxed greeting cards & ordered Beverly Lewis' and Jane Kirkpatrick's latest books. They're both among my favorite authors.

This a.m. I'll be mixing up my turkey patties. I might make it to do some sewing this afternoon.

Carolnnc
September 6th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Good morning Joy & all who follow. I'm so sorry about your friend Martha. It's also hard to be the spouse who has to continue on.

There's nothing sadder than de-caf coffee when you're exhausted. I didn't sleep well due to aches & pains. The plumber is coming to replace all the faucets soon so I know a nap is in the future after he leaves.

We interviewed the first of three realtors yesterday. She is a Durham native & has been in the business for 35 years. She was very encouraging & helpful. The only negative was her perfume. I can't tolerate smells so I had a raging migraine when she left. Our next interview is tomorrow afternoon. It's a young man who doesn't have a lot of experience but I like what I see so far.

I had to go over to storage yesterday to drop some things off. I cradled a bin of fabric & told DH I was having serious quilting withdrawal. My quilting room looks so sad & empty with no shelves or fabric. I kept a couple of projects to work on but can't get to them due to all I have to do to help get the house ready for market.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Ginny B
September 6th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Good morning Joy. Boy, you were busy yesterday. I haven't made beets in quite a while.

It was another hot one here yesterday and it promises to be pretty much the same today but after this evening, it is going to start to cool down. It is cloudy out there. The cool weather will certainly be welcome. Although I am not ready for winter. I am trying to figure out what to pack for our trip to Colorado in a few weeks. I've got my choice of dresses narrowed down to three. :icon_beuj: Which one will be the final choice?

I slept in a bit this morning. Didn't wake up until 7. The Yankees are playing on the west coast and I decided to stay up and watch the game since my son, dil and grandson were at the game. Sadly, the Yanks lost. :( But they had a good time anyway.

Time to get some laundry going and then head up to the sewing room. Have a good day everyone.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 6th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Good morning ladies,

Yesterday's thunderstorms and downpours seem to have cooled us off for awhile. At least the humidity is less and more tolerable. The winds did a number on our canopy. It almost went over the fence. We caught it, rested and anchored it under a tree. I think rather than put it back up, it may time to put it away for the season. It seems early, but we have little time to sit and enjoy it. If we want to sit outside, we can always sit under the pergola.

It's rather wet, so it might be a good time to pull up more of the garden and deweeding some beds. We have a lady coming to measure for new blinds in the sunroom. We are really enjoying the open view, and want something mostly to shield the morning sun and some privacy at night. It will have to be cat friendly, so we can raise them at least 2' off the floor.

Yesterday was a cooking day for me. I made apple pie and filling for freezer. Also got 6 meals of cabbage rolls between 2-3 lbs each, and five 3lbs meat lasagna. We had lasagna and Caesar salad for dinner. Yummy. My freezer and fridge freezers are pretty full right now, so I will have to hold off on more baking and cooking. That's fine with me. DH knows when I cook like this, I am getting ready for marathon quilting. No stopping, just pull out meal and stick it on the oven.

My girlfriend who runs our Victoria Quilt group was provided with a Janome 1600P on a frame. It was used by another group, and that person bought one for herself, so my friend has it set up in her basement. We will go for training in September. We are hoping to get tops finished quicker. We have about 20 waiting, and the ladies in our group are much older, and only drop by to tie them. We make them faster than they can tie. I finished 4 in the early part of July, but that was all I could do since we also had to look after FIL's home. If a one has experience or tips on this machine, please share. I did Google search and found some useful tutorials. I haven't seen the frame, but going to assume it's a Grace frame.

Carolnnc - I hope you find a good realtor. If you were here, I would recommend mine. She's in top 5 in the city. I am not that confident about the one my DH's niece chose. It's a friend, and she didn't seem very assertive. I like agents with a plan for marketing. Well, we are too far away and have to pray someone will buy the home and love it like it used to be. Tips: declutter rooms, walls, remove personal memorabilia, religious items(it can freak some people), rent a storage unit if you need to. The person buying has to imagine themselves living there. You don't want them to focus on personal items that distract them from the home. I guess I missed it in one of the threads, so I'm not sure why you are moving away?

Stay dry. Stay cool. Be safe and have a good day.

Monique
September 6th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Good morning friends from PEI. It is another beautiful day. There may be showers this afternoon and that is okay too. Not sure what today will bring but we had a great anniversary yesterday. We had a lovely lunch and supper out. This is our second last day here and then we are moving up the road to another campsite attached to a golf course. I believe there is WiFi there so I will have lots of time to catch up. Have a great day friends.

grammaterry
September 6th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Headed to DD for a few days. Going to take the broken machine and drop it off this afternoon so he can look at it first thing tomorrow. I'm hoping for a quick fix so I won't be there long.

KPH
September 6th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Good Morning All,

Home school this morning, so I'm short on time. Jim called on the way to his school and jogged my memory. I can't find what I was looking for and I have no idea how to find it anymore. It was a set of little algebra booklets I used in my classroom. It's been 7 years, so I'm cutting myself some slack on the memory department. I'm hoping a set of originals will be in one of my school boxes, but no need to look for them yet as kiddo will be here in a few.

Picked up border and backing fabric for the baby quilt. I'll have to wash the flannel backing, I'm hoping it won't shrink too much!

Well, best get started. Have a wonderful day everyone!

baslp
September 6th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Good morning. It already feels like one is stepping into a sauna when you go out. This morning the mobile groomer is coming to groom our 4 dogs and cat. The cat has long orange fur. He usually gets the lion cut. I may need a nap after she leaves after doing crowd control. Have a great day!

Carolnnc
September 6th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Good morning ladies,

Yesterday's thunderstorms and downpours seem to have cooled us off for awhile. At least the humidity is less and more tolerable. The winds did a number on our canopy. It almost went over the fence. We caught it, rested and anchored it under a tree. I think rather than put it back up, it may time to put it away for the season. It seems early, but we have little time to sit and enjoy it. If we want to sit outside, we can always sit under the pergola.

It's rather wet, so it might be a good time to pull up more of the garden and deweeding some beds. We have a lady coming to measure for new blinds in the sunroom. We are really enjoying the open view, and want something mostly to shield the morning sun and some privacy at night. It will have to be cat friendly, so we can raise them at least 2' off the floor.

Carolnnc - I hope you find a good realtor. If you were here, I would recommend mine. She's in top 5 in the city. I am not that confident about the one my DH's niece chose. It's a friend, and she didn't seem very assertive. I like agents with a plan for marketing. Well, we are too far away and have to pray someone will buy the home and love it like it used to be. Tips: declutter rooms, walls, remove personal memorabilia, religious items(it can freak some people), rent a storage unit if you need to. The person buying has to imagine themselves living there. You don't want them to focus on personal items that distract them from the home. I guess I missed it in one of the threads, so I'm not sure why you are moving away?

When the house sells we are moving next door while we look for our (hopefully) last home. Our neighbor stays out of town & we've kept an eye on his home for 11 years so he's told us we have a rent free place to stay for as long as we need. It will be really weird to stay in someone's home plus be next door to the home we have loved for 11 years. DH is retiring in December & his dream has always been to move to the country so he can have a huge garden & animals. I grew up in the country so I'm good with that. We are looking for something around the NC/Va border which has a lot of country & small towns.

There is absolutely nothing in the house that says Rick and Carol live here. 95% of our belongings now reside in a climate controlled storage unit. I painted all the rooms the same color & then called my best friend Sheretta. She took me shopping & she picked out everything down to the shower curtains & towels. I can make a pretty quilt but I suck at decorating. The only things I was allowed to go shopping for by myself were light bulbs & three house plants. She has been a life saver. She has taken me out for breakfast, out for drinks & kept me from killing Rick. I'm hoping when her husband retires 5 years from now they will move near us since her hubby wants to be a "mini" farmer like Rick.

Claire Hallman
September 6th, 2018, 10:35 AM
The house across from us sold last week in less than a day, hope you have the same luck.

We sold a house years ago while my DS was in the hospital. He had been there for a while, in traction for a broken leg, and needless to say housekeeping was not a top priority. Our agent did do a run through to make sure there was nothing embarrassing laying about. The buyer offered full price so we had to say yes.

Things don't need to be perfect, try not to worry.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 6th, 2018, 10:39 AM
When the house sells we are moving next door while we look for our (hopefully) last home. Our neighbor stays out of town & we've kept an eye on his home for 11 years so he's told us we have a rent free place to stay for as long as we need. It will be really weird to stay in someone's home plus be next door to the home we have loved for 11 years. DH is retiring in December & his dream has always been to move to the country so he can have a huge garden & animals. I grew up in the country so I'm good with that. We are looking for something around the NC/Va border which has a lot of country & small towns.

There is absolutely nothing in the house that says Rick and Carol live here. 95% of our belongings now reside in a climate controlled storage unit. I painted all the rooms the same color & then called my best friend Sheretta. She took me shopping & she picked out everything down to the shower curtains & towels. I can make a pretty quilt but I suck at decorating. The only things I was allowed to go shopping for by myself were light bulbs & three house plants. She has been a life saver. She has taken me out for breakfast, out for drinks & kept me from killing Rick. I'm hoping when her husband retires 5 years from now they will move near us since her hubby wants to be a "mini" farmer like Rick.

Oh that's sounds like a wonderful plan Carol. It sounds like you have it all under control. I would be that friend that helps you decorate and takes you out for drinks and road trips. Just get ready for a quick sale, and you will be on your way.

Carlie Wolf
September 6th, 2018, 11:09 AM
I'm wishing you a lot of luck Carol. Sending prayers your way :-)

I have just about everything done for the Craft Fair next weekend. The only fly in the ointment is the girl that said she'd take me and pick me up (I'm paying her) has not returned any of my messages. I'm thinking she changed her mind :-( I don't know why people around here don't let you know when they change their minds...between the former lawn guy, the house painters and now this it sure gets frustrating and it sure puts the damper on finding someone else in a timely manner. I'll get on the phone with the landlady since she said she could also take me (and no charge), so I'll just wait for the weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

It has been so hot and humid lately. I didn't realize how bad it's been hitting me until yesterday. It's been impossible to cut the grass because it's so wet and stays that way most of the day. The humidity at night is like 85-90%! I do it in sections and have had to use the weed wacker instead of the mower. I put the a/c on earlier then usual and had it set low at about 68 yesterday. I slept from 2 to 3 and then 3 till 7PM! Then I was in bed by 10:30 and slept like a log through the night. I'm feeling a lot better today :-)

Did any of you ever watch Cheers on tv? I found it on Prime, like 7 seasons so I started watching it to see if I still thought it was funny. It's one of the few shows I actually laugh at and I've found the funny magic is still there :-)

KPH
September 6th, 2018, 02:17 PM
What a whirlwind morning.

J came in, we sorted out his work and he was done in less than 45 minutes. Where was that kid yesterday? I managed to pull out a math work that I knew he'd like and we ran through it a couple of times. I asked if he was going to tell Nana about watching the colorful snake shed it's skin to become a golden snake. He said rather emphatically NO he wasn't telling Nana anything about snakes. 154892His colorful snake
154893J and his golden snake... 172 beads long!

SallyO'Sews
September 6th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Oh, Katrina, he's so cute! I much prefer a bead snake to a real one. Carol, although it's hard to leave, I'm glad your neighbor is letting you stay next door. Monique, I'm looking forward to some of that nice cool Canadian air heading our way in the next 24 hours! I'm ready for summer weather to be over.

DGD is spending the night with us tonight, and will go to school with DH (the principal) in the morning. Just realized I'll need to stop at the grocery store this evening after work so I can get stuff for her to take for lunch tomorrow!

MSN
September 7th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Carol, how lucky you are to have Sheretta. Sounds like Rick is even luckier that you have her, as he gets to live another day. ;) Some people just seem to have the knack for decorating. As for me, I tend to get what I like and then never update things because I still like them. I'd like to borrow Sheretta to help me update window treatments.

From your posts, I know you have put a lot of work into preparing your home for sale. I am confident that it will pay off in a quick sale at a good price. So glad you have a place to stay until you find your permanent home. It's one less thing to stress about. It probably will feel weird, though, to see someone else living in your home.