PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday greetings

Ginny B
September 5th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Good morning everyone. Another hot one here today. My plan to get things finished in my sewing room before it got too hot was a success yesterday. I completed two hooded towels and started a reading pillow. I will head up there again this morning to finish the reading pillow and then I'll spend the rest of the day downstairs in the a/c before heading over to pick Henry up from school. He said he had a good day yesterday. His dad asked him if he was going to go back again today and luckily he said yes. I wondered what Joe would have done if he had said no. Since there really is no choice, I wondered why he even asked him. LOL

Have a wonderful day everyone.

KPH
September 5th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Good Morning Ginny,

Sounds like you had a productive day yesterday. I managed to take all of those half square triangles and sew them together, one set the right way, the second set the wrong way. So, I picked out 42 sets and resewed them. I worked off and on all day. I finally got the quilt top together for a baby quilt. I'll put the first border on sometime today, then go find outer border fabric, backing and pick up some batting so I can get this quilt finished.

Today is home school day, so we'll see what happens.

Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JCY
September 5th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Good Morning, All ~ We had a thunderstorm in the night around midnight. We always can use the rain.

Today I need to run several errands. I try to do my errands on days DH doesn't have a morning medical procedure. He really doesn't like to be left alone on those days. I still need to tack the 4 corners of the Noah's Ark quilt binding & sew on the label, then get it washed ready for gifting.

I'm still missing my friend Martha. I can hardly believe she went so quickly. But, she was 87 & had numerous medical problems which she'd had for a long time. She was ready to go.

No more time now.

grammaterry
September 5th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Joy, I know its hard when we lose a friend. Its difficult to fill the voids and when it was sudden like that you just weren't prepared.
Yesterday, I dug up hosta plants. Filled two industrial size garbage bags and will give them to the man who will haul the gravel for the driveway. The rainy weather has just made them go wild and they needed to be thinned. Next week another neighbor will come and maybe she can actually help me dig them up. They have such a dense root structure that getting them out of the ground is hard work.
Anyway, my physical strength is waning . Tomorrow I will head to Clemmons NC to take the sewing machine in. I am really hoping he can fix it in one day turnaround. Its a long drive down there and I don't want to be without that machine. The spare machine just isn't as fast and easy.
DH jacked up the floor in the kitchen yesterday. It was sagging pretty much. This old house is aging as much as we are. It looks a lot better now. The humidity (which we have never experienced like this year) is sure working on the structure. We put a dehumidifier in the house and we are pulling 10 gallons of water out each day!!
My scalp has been itching fiercely for two weeks now. I asked the hair cutter guy and he said I was probably sweating and it was like a heat rash. He suggested a vinegar rinse. I did that this morning. I'm hoping this fixes the itch. If not, I'm going to see what there is in the pharmacy isle. Any suggestions?

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 5th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Good morning ladies,

I feel like this summer has been Groundhog Dog Day do-over. Hot humid, scattered rain and thundershowers, and more heat and humidity. Today is supposed to be the worst yet for humidity. I think this is zapping my energy. I dug out some of the garden vegetable plants yesterday as they are mostly done. Then I grabbed a weed without my gloves. It was stinging nettle. Oh, the pain. I ran it under water and put a paste of baking soda and water. It's almost gone. Checking on Internet, stinging should be gone in 24 hrs.

I cooked more corn to make niblets for freezing. It is so tasty in mid-winter. I also did groceries but I am not focused, I forgot to buy coffee. I'll go out later. Today I plan to make apple pie, cabbage rolls and maybe lasagna if I don't run out of steam. No sewing today, unless I need to escape to cooler basement. I am starting to feel quilting deprivation. Soon, after my mom's party on Saturday. Then I am going to go into selfish mode, and it will be ME-time.

Joy - it's not hard to fill the void left by a friend's loss, but there will be good memories to share with your lady bug group.
Ginny - you seem to have the balance of retirement. Don't you find that you are busier now? If not, wait, it will come.
Katrina - you are one productive lady. I'm certain that getting your rooms organized for your liking is helping with getting it done. We have one black squirrel (skippy), but he has to play nice as we have an entire family of chipmunks (Chippy 1,2,3...) to keep us and the cats amused. We have several stone walls in the yard, which we call the super highways. They chase each other one way, then when they get to the end, they turn around and chase the other one. It's better than watching tv.

Gotta run. DH wants to go out for breakfast, as he is going to have a long day of office work at home.

Stay cool. Stay dry. Be safe.

baslp
September 5th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Good morning! Another hot day here not much on my agenda. I will also be doing a lot of ripping of seams. I just realized I was not suppose to sew the blocks together just yet. I have to put saying on them .
Grammaterry — have you tried Benadryl for the itching? Being outside you may be getting a lot of pollen in your hair.

MissMay
September 5th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Good Morning all, don't have time to chat much this morning as I need to answer an email from a couple in Britain who want to donate 5 million pounds to me. Aren't I the lucky one? In my dreams, LOL!

Terry, hosta roots can get really thick and impacted I have a huge hosta plant in the backyard that would need a backhoe to dig out. This plant started from hostas I helped my grandfather plant in our garden in Brooklyn way back in the 1940's. I took some shoots to put in my garden here in Jersey in the early 1960's and have several smaller hostas here and there in the backyard, it's impossible to kill them off. I offered my sons some divided plants for their backyards but none of them are interested in keeping a memory of their "roots".

Monique
September 5th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Just a quick pop in this morning. Today is our 37th anniversary. We will be going out for supper this evening.

It has been a beautiful trip so far. The weather has been great. Lots of sea glassing.

Sorry to hear of all the sad things that has happened. Know that I am thinking of you all at this time. No internet at the campsite but we are moving sites on Saturday and I do believe we have internet there.

Bonnie is doing well and getting stronger each day.

Have a great day everyone.

Claire Hallman
September 5th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Raining here today, perhaps remnants of Gordon the hurricane. I hope he doesn't do damage to the gulf coast. I know I am being selfish since we are heading there in two weeks but I really don't want the locals to have any damage either.

We are getting some new carpet in our MBR tomorrow, today I need to clear out all the stuff that is in there other than furniture and the closet floor, too, yuck.
What I really want to do is finish fmq my current project. It seems to be getting bigger and bigger as I quilt, lol.:0

Simply Quilting
September 5th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Good Morning! More rain came yesterday afternoon. I worked on retreat stuff but never made it to the sewing room. Little one took a very short nap yesterday. He woke up not feeling well. He is working on getting in those two year molars in. Last night he had a hard time going to bed then woke up just after midnight and was awake til around 3:30AM. At first he was just not happy with anything, then he settled down and just laid and snuggled but wasn't sleepy. As much as I would have liked more sleep last night, I will take all the snuggles that I can get from him.

Joy, hugs. It is so hard to lose a friend.

Have a good day everyone :)

cv quilter
September 5th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Happy Anniversary, Monique. Enjoy your day and dinner and hope your trip continues to be wonderful.
Have a good day everyone. Hope your day is filled with good things.

Mimi_Howard
September 5th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Hello all. My sewing room is starting to look more like an orphanage. Been playing with scraps, get an idea and try a block and hmmmmmm not what I envisioned. Try something different, still not yelling BINGO! So I am being very productive at producing orphans! Still out of work, but then again I haven't really looked for a job. Long story and for now I am enjoying some time off.

Bubby
September 5th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Hi Everyone...It's been a busy week so far. This afternoon is the funeral for our police sergeant who took his own life last week. He left behind two three children, two teenagers and one younger. Our little town has been in shock. Please pray for the family.

One of our two local banks was robbed at gunpoint yesterday. The robber is still on the loose. They got a video of the incident but the guy was totally disguised.

I had to find a new dentist. My dentist is going through a nasty divorce and had to stop practicing until everything is final. I had a broken tooth that's part of a bridge that needed immediate attention. A dentist in Rolla got me right in. I go back Friday for a procedure. JCY, does this sound familiar?

Happy Anniversary Monique & Les!!

Wishing everyone a great day!

KarenC
September 5th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Happy Anniversary Monique. Joy, It's hard when we lose a good friend. I am really missing my friend that I lost last month. Don't know why but today I have been wanting to pick up the phone and call her. I try to just remember the good times and realize that at least she is no longer in pain.

Yesterday I spent the morning at the car dealership getting DS's car serviced. I did a bit of sewing on a mini quilt (paper pieced), then went to the nursery for something to spray on my lawn to kill a fungus. I hope this works, before my whole yard is ruined. I really should not have let it go this long. Also had a short visit from DD and DGD. Poor little girl had her 1 yr checkup yesterday, including shots. She was finally her happy self went they left here.

This morning I decided to clean windows. It's amazing how much dirt collects in the tracks. Worked 2 hours and only got 3 windows finished. I guess I really should go and try to do a few more. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of your day.

GuitarGramma
September 5th, 2018, 03:53 PM
We're just back from my mother-in-law's funeral, and both of us are finding it hard to concentrate. Grief does that to you. I'm blessed to have had such a sweet mother-in-law. I'll share just one story: About 20 years ago, a bad combination of medicines caused my husband a bleeding ulcer that almost killed him. My mother-in-law immediately flew up to Northern California to help me while her son was in the hospital. She stayed about two weeks, did all the shopping and cooking, and did every bit of laundry in the house. Yet, because she was so sweet and kind, I never once felt like another woman was stepping into my territory. She was one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

GrammaTerry: I developed a perpetually itchy back and eventually figured out that I was allergic to the coconut oil in my shampoo and conditioner. You might want to see if switching to a different set of ingredients help.

Monique: Happy Anniversary!

Best to everyone!

grammaterry
September 5th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Now I really am confused. Suzyq just pm'd me and told me to try coconut oil as a rub and then shampoo, and Guitar Gramma has allergies to coconut oil. The vinegar rinse seems to have helped today although, it was so muggy outside, I didn't go outside much to sweat. I feel better today than I did last night. I was so miserable last night that I put Neosporin on my scalp before I went to bed to stop the itch.

Cokie
September 5th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Just a quick pop in this morning. Today is our 37th anniversary. We will be going out for supper this evening.

Our 37th anniversary is next month! Wasn't sure a year ago if we'd make it this far, but DH has been doing remarkably well. Still needs a liver transplant but is on the list now, so we're waiting as patiently as we can. Happy anniversary!!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 5th, 2018, 07:38 PM
We have been getting waves of storms today with lightning, thunder and strong winds. The earlier one around 4pm pulled our canopy from its blocks, and it's resting for now. We moved it away from the fence to closer under the trees as it won't move from there. It may fill with water which will keep keep in p,ace. We will put it back tomorow when it's expected to be much cooler.

I did lots of cooking for freezer meals done today. I made an apple pie, and a freezer bag of prepped apple pie filling. I also made 4-3lbs and 2-2lbs containers of cabbage rolls and 5-3lbs of meat lasagna. These will be perfect on days that I want to keep sewing and don't want to stop to make dinner. We had a lasagna for supper with Caesar salad. Yum. My neighbour dropped off some beets from her garden, so I might pickled those tomorrow. Pickled beets are quick to make.

Happy anniversary Monique & Les. Enjoy your dinner tonight and the rest of your vacation on the island.

Good evening!

K. McEuen
September 5th, 2018, 07:41 PM
My scalp has been itching fiercely for two weeks now. I asked the hair cutter guy and he said I was probably sweating and it was like a heat rash. He suggested a vinegar rinse. I did that this morning. I'm hoping this fixes the itch. If not, I'm going to see what there is in the pharmacy isle. Any suggestions?

My scalp gets that way during the summer. I do a cap full of Sea Breeze on my scalp before I get out of the shower. I just pour in on, work it into my scalp with my fingers and leave it in, don't rinse it out. It works great for me

grammaterry
September 5th, 2018, 08:37 PM
what is sea breeze?TE=K. McEuen;1037210]My scalp gets that way during the summer. I do a cap full of Sea Breeze on my scalp before I get out of the shower. I just pour in on, work it into my scalp with my fingers and leave it in, don't rinse it out. It works great for me[/QUOTE]

Claire Hallman
September 5th, 2018, 08:50 PM
I didn't know it was still available. Sea Breeze was popular in the 60's as an astringent [at least I think it was] It smelled so fresh.

TMP
September 5th, 2018, 09:27 PM
Terry, do you see anything on your head that could be making it itch? I have psoriasis and it does itch.

grammaterry
September 5th, 2018, 10:30 PM
the guy who cuts my hair said he didn't see anything, that's why he thought it was just heat causing it. No flaking, no bumps, no redness, just itch.

K. McEuen
September 6th, 2018, 12:41 AM
I didn't know it was still available. Sea Breeze was popular in the 60's as an astringent [at least I think it was] It smelled so fresh.

You are right Claire. I get mine on Amazon (they have everything) but a place like Sally's Beauty Supply might sell it.

Terry, this is the one I get, they have other types, but this is the one that works.

https://smile.amazon.com/Breeze-Astringent-Skin-Scalp-Nails/dp/B003TJ8IVC/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1536205131&sr=8-3&keywords=sea+breeze

Caroline T.
September 6th, 2018, 01:43 AM
Sea Breeze is a skin cleanser, used mainly to remove excess oils on the face and clear the pores.