PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Quilling

Star lover
September 5th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Quilling is an art form that involves the use of paper strips that are rolled, shaped and glued together to create decorative designs. It is also known as paper filigree and dates back hundreds of years.

During the Renaissance, nuns and monks would roll gold-gilded paper remnants that were trimmed during the bookmaking process and use them to decorate religious objects. This art form was much more economical than using gold filigree, which is a delicate form of jewelry medal work that is constructed of tiny beads or twisted threads made of gold or silver. Quilling became the pastime of the 18th and 19th century for young ladies in England who would decorate tea caddies, pieces of furniture and other items with paper filigree. When gilded or silvered, it was difficult to distinguish it from real gold or silver filigree work.

This art form crossed the Atlantic with the colonists who added quilling to candle sconces and other items for home decoration. Of all the items where quilling is used, it is probably best known for bringing personality to homemade cards.

It is regaining popularity because you do not need to invest in expensive supplies in order to engage in this art. All that is really needed are strips of lightweight paper, glue and a tool to roll the paper.

Quilling got its name because, originally, the paper would be rolled onto feathers. Today, specialty tools can be purchased or you can use toothpicks, needles, awls, bamboo skewers or any other round and cylindrical-shaped items.

Essentially, the object is to fully roll the strip of paper around the tool to produce a coil. After the paper is fully coiled, it is allowed to relax enough so that it slips off the tool.

A tiny drop of glue is then applied to the end to secure it and keep the coil intact. This is the basic design.

sew-what2015
September 5th, 2018, 07:13 AM
First time I've heard of quilling. Thanks for sharing.

KPH
September 5th, 2018, 07:30 AM
I used to do quilling with my students. It's wonderful fine motor skills work and it's quiet! lol, I started them with copy paper I cut at 1/4" inch and they used toothpicks to roll on. Once they got the basic shapes you could push the coils into, I left them alone to create their own cards or pictures.

I made a set of Christmas ornaments using quilling. I have no idea where those little ornaments are. It took a long time to make and you had to make sure you really glued the pieces down to the glass balls.

I gave my DIL all of my stuff when she decided she wanted to do paper crafts.

Thanks for the memories.

grammaterry
September 5th, 2018, 09:33 AM
I guess I still don't understand. You roll the paper on a toothpick, let it relax, take it off the toothpick and glue it. Then what? How do you shape it? Katrina, I think I need you to be my teacher so I can figure out these things.

Star lover
September 5th, 2018, 09:55 AM
A video for beginners......I'm sure there's lots more, just found this first thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wULr0mYYr8c

Nwmnteacher
September 5th, 2018, 11:40 AM
I used to teach quilling to my students in school. We made Christmas ornaments, but did not glue them to balls, just glued the pieces together. We used patterns to lay out the correct shapes.

Jeanne

Hulamoon
September 5th, 2018, 12:02 PM
My oldest dd used to make things after I bought her a kit in the kids section at Borders (boy do I miss that store!) She took to it really fast and always made me the nicest cards.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=quilling

laura44
September 5th, 2018, 12:45 PM
I used to make quilled cards. So many shapes you can make by shaping the paper.
You can buy kits and paper on ebay.

grammaterry
September 5th, 2018, 01:53 PM
A video for beginners......I'm sure there's lots more, just found this first thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wULr0mYYr8cThank you for the video. Not at all what my mind was thinking to do. However, it is way beyond my attention span to make these.

Laurie B
September 5th, 2018, 05:12 PM
My sister, Ann Martin, is a quilling artist, author, and blogger: https://www.allthingspaper.net Her work and that of the paper artists she features on her blog is beautiful. I especially enjoy her quilled jewelry!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 5th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Years ago I worked a colleague who did quilling on cards. They were beautiful. I bought a book of basics, but alas life (aka kids) came along and it was out on the back burner. I don't think I will get to this craft and passed the book along last year.

KPH
September 5th, 2018, 08:23 PM
What I really liked about doing it was it was something I could do while watching TV. I'd have a TV tray, and make a bunch of pieces and lay them out on graph paper to dry. Then when I was tired I'd stick them in a plastic box with lots of holding sections. Then I could make cards or what ever.

Star lover
September 6th, 2018, 07:25 AM
As a child we made paper beads and make all kinds of jewelry. We cut magazines in narrow thin triangles, rolled with glue and.....

The closest I ever got to quilling......which isn't even close......

auntstuff
September 6th, 2018, 09:31 AM
As a child we made paper beads and make all kinds of jewelry. We cut magazines in narrow thin triangles, rolled with glue and.....

The closest I ever got to quilling......which isn't even close......

Thats actually pretty neat!

Hulamoon
September 12th, 2018, 06:07 PM
I was cruising on Pinterest and this page popped up. I might order a kit. Not that I need another hobby, but it looks fun and peaceful to try out.

http://picturescrafts.com/20-ideas-for-quilling/