PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: Iowa

Star lover
September 4th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Some interesting facts about Iowa:

Iowa derives its name from the Ioway people, one of the Native American tribes that made the region their home.

Iowa is the only state in the Unites States whose eastern and western borders are formed entirely by rivers. The Mississippi and the Missouri rivers.

Iowa is the only state in the United States that has two vowels as the first two letters of its name and has two vowels as its state abbreviation (IA).

Iowa is called "The Hawkeye State" to honor Indian Chief Black Hawk.

Iowan Arabella Mansfield the first female lawyer in the United States. She was admitted to the Iowa bar in 1869.

Iowa is the largest producer of ethanol among all the states in the United States. Not surprisingly, Iowa is also the largest producer of corn among all U.S. states.

The novel and movie “The Bridges of Madison County” was set in Madison County, Iowa. Imes Bridge is the oldest of Madison County's six bridges. Iowa's longest and highest bridge crosses Lake Red Rock. The Holliwell Bridge is the longest bridge in Madison County. (And it's the one prominently featured in the movie).

The highest double track railroad bridge in the world, the Kate Shelley Bridge, is located at Boone.

In Iowa, ministers must obtain a permit to carry their liquor across state lines.

In the state of Iowa, it is illegal for a mustached man to kiss a woman in public.

Ripley's Believe It or Not has dubbed Burlington's Snake Alley the most crooked street in the world.

The state's smallest city park is situated in the middle of the road in Hiteman.

Francis Drake was 66 years old at his inauguration and Iowa's oldest governor.

Fenlon Place Elevator in Dubuque is the world's steepest and shortest railway.

Wright County has the highest percentage of grade-A topsoil in the nation.

Quaker Oats, in Cedar Rapids, is the largest cereal company in the world.

Dubuque is home to the only county courthouse with a gold dome.

The Sergeant Floyd Monument in Sioux City honors the only man to die during the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Maynard Reece is the only artist to win the Federal Duck Stamp competition five times.

A bronze life-sized sculpture of a Norwegian immigrant family (circa 1860) is located on a six acre restored prairie site located at the east entry to Lake Mills on Highway 105.

Iowa's only operating antique carousel is located in the city of Story City.

Sabula is Iowa's only town on an island.

Herbert Hoover, a West Branch native, was the 31st president of the United States and the first one born west of the Mississippi.

Mamie Doud Eisenhower's birthplace is located in Boone and includes a restored frame house, complete with summer kitchen and original furniture from the family.

Born Donnabelle Mullenger in Denison, Oscar Award-winning actress, Donna Reed, started her career at the young age of 16.

Born Marion Robert Morrison in Winterset, John Wayne was the son of a pharmacist and grew up to become one of Hollywood's most popular movie stars.

Glenn Miller, noted trombonist and orchestra leader, was born in Clarinda located in Southwest Iowa.

The town of Fort Atkinson was the site of the only fort ever built by the U.S. government to protect one Indian tribe from another.

Campers and motor homes are manufactured in Winnebago County. They're called Winnebago's.

Woolly mammoth bones are abundant.*The prehistoric pachyderms once lived in the area, so it's not that unusual for residents*to*find*mammoth bones. They're especially prevalent in Mahaska County, where people seem to stumble upon them by accident.

You've no doubt heard the phrase "the greatest thing since sliced bread"—well, we have Iowa to thank for those precut loaves.*Otto Frederick Rohwedder*was apparently fed up with trying to cram hand-sliced pieces of bread into a toaster, so in 1912, he invented a device that would cut bread into consistently-sized slices. Unfortunately, Rohwedder's fantastic invention was destroyed in a fire before it could be unleashed on the world. It took him some time to refine and rebuild, so sliced bread wasn't commercially available until 1928.

When a boy in Iowan Chris Nelson’s candy store couldn’t decide whether to spend his money on ice cream or a chocolate bar, an idea spawned. One year later Nelson, working with Russell Stover to create the “Eskimo Pie.”

Hogs outnumber humans four to one in Iowa, and with approximately 3 million people living in the state, you would think the bovines are hogging all the space. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

auntstuff
September 4th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Bovines are cows. Pigs are porcine.

Star lover
September 4th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Bovines are cows. Pigs are porcine.

Silly me, I knew that.....and I even read through to make sure all looked good! Have no clue where my brain went......

Hulamoon
September 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I'm happy to just know where Eskimo Pie came from. It makes those silly commercials where candy and ice cream fall in love not so silly anymore. lol

grammaterry
September 4th, 2018, 07:59 PM
so much info to absorb. I forgive you for a few faux pas

Deegles
September 5th, 2018, 12:11 AM
I used to lve there and have seenmuch of this trivia. Someone once told me that the indian translation of the word Iowa, is land of stupid people (refering to the indian tribe). This has always made me laugh, as great things derrive from this state, including Chiropractors! Most beef, pork, chicken, corn, soy, and my family! Many is influenced by indians with many towns and counties named after indians, like the winnebago, tama, blackhawk, cheorkee, chickasaw, iowa, keokuk. mahaska, osceola, palo alto, pocahantas, pottawatamie, powasheik, sac, sioux....etc. Lots of french named things too. A wonderfully green, heavenly, peaceful place, I miss it much! Thanks for the reminisce!

auntstuff
September 5th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I used to lve there and have seenmuch of this trivia. Someone once told me that the indian translation of the word Iowa, is land of stupid people (refering to the indian tribe). This has always made me laugh, as great things derrive from this state, including Chiropractors! Most beef, pork, chicken, corn, soy, and my family! Many is influenced by indians with many towns and counties named after indians, like the winnebago, tama, blackhawk, cheorkee, chickasaw, iowa, keokuk. mahaska, osceola, palo alto, pocahantas, pottawatamie, powasheik, sac, sioux....etc. Lots of french named things too. A wonderfully green, heavenly, peaceful place, I miss it much! Thanks for the reminisce!

YES! I grew up there too.

kimsophia
September 5th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Meredith Willson (yes it is spelled with two "L"s), born in Mason City, wrote the musical "The Music Man" which premiered on Broadway in 1957, and was adapted twice for film (in 1962 and 2003). He referred to the show as "an Iowan's attempt to pay tribute to his home state". The song "Iowa Stubborn" lyrics:

Townspeople:
Oh, there's nothing halfway
About the Iowa way to treat you
When we treat you
Which we may not do at all
There's an Iowa kind of special
Chip-on-the-shoulder attitude
We've never been without
That we recall
We can be cold
As a falling thermometer in December
If you ask about our weather in July