PDA

View Full Version : Monday, Monday greetings

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 3rd, 2018, 08:38 AM
Good morning everyone,
I'm going to do this quick, hoping we don't double up.

Not much done yesterday. We went and picked up a weed torch. My neighbour demonstrated it for us on Saturday, and I was sold. I can't wait to use it on the weeds growing between the patio cracks.

We stopped for lunch at Lone Star. I brought home half, as their portions are huge. I am still tired from overdrawing on my energy bank, so I had a 4 hour nap. Slept a full 9 hours last night. Let's see if my clocks re-sets.

Not planning on much today. Maybe cook up the squash and veggies I picked up at local market.

Have a good day everyone.

JCY
September 3rd, 2018, 09:04 AM
Labor Day Greetings ~ Where has the summer gone?! I am very glad to be having cooler temps. It's supposed to be only in the 70's today. No Labor Day plans. I might bake DH's spelt bread today.

Yest. afternoon I finished the FMQ on the Noah's Ark panel quilt & trimmed the edges. It's ready for the binding. It took a while to do the FMQ because I custom quilted it, but I'm satisfied with the results. Now I have to prepare 6 more baby quilts by Dec-Jan. for upcoming babies at church. I might have some finished tops among my UFOs that will work for girl babies. Most of the new moms don't yet know the gender of their babies.

I hope Monique & Les are having a wonderful vacation. I'd love to visit PEI some time. I always loved the Anne of Green Gables books & movies. Maybe I'll view that series again.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday week-end.

KPH
September 3rd, 2018, 09:22 AM
Good Morning! Happy Labor Day!

It will be like a vacation here, no family dinner to fix! Jim's bunch has a family tradition of going to the baseball game on Labor Day. So I'm crossing my fingers the weather will cooperate and they'll get to go! The youngest one is staying with Grammy. He'd be a handful to keep contained at the ball park, I can't say I blame them on that decision.

I painted the too short shelf that Mike bought last year. Jim ripped the board to make it fit the space. He returned two shelf hangers that I'd given them to use. He kept the rest to use in their closet (one day). Today's job is to get that shelf hung and the TV mounted on the wall above it.

I started working on the baby quilt for church yesterday. I had to cut the 5" squares of solid, and cut my layer cake into 5" squares before I started. I'm using Jenny's Half Square Triangle pattern https://quiltingtutorials.com/tutorial/half-square-triangle-quilt . It should be a quick one to make.

Have a wonderful holiday!

Prayers for those in need and prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

KarenC
September 3rd, 2018, 09:25 AM
Good morning peeps. Happy Labor day to those in the US. I finished quilting a throw yesterday and made the binding. Will stitch the binding on this morning. Only other plans for today is to go see a movie with a friend. Have a great day

grammaterry
September 3rd, 2018, 09:29 AM
I used the old machine to finish the quilt I started when the machine went kapoot. Its okay. I will say it was a lot of work with out all the automatic bells and whistles
I don't think we have any plans today. We were thinking of cruising in the convertible but the rain storms will keep us in.. No fun to keep putting the top up.
Its in the 50's. High 50's but still...I hate to see summer go. I love the hot weather. No fire to build, no layers of heavy clothing to stay sort of warm, no ice to contend with when we go out..

baslp
September 3rd, 2018, 10:24 AM
Happy Labor Day! I am also a summer person and don’t like to see the cooler weather setting in. We will have a small dinner tonight. My DH smokes ribs and 2 of our kids will be here. I am off to get ingredients to make a desert for tonight. The heat and humidity is ramping back up here , so I plan on staying in the rest of the day.

jjkaiser
September 3rd, 2018, 12:08 PM
Good morning all. Here it is Labor Day already, I am sure many parents are ready to do the whoopee dance with school starting tomorrow! No big plans today, dd coming for a cookout later. I am just making brats and yest went to the store and bought potato salad at the deli instead of making it myself. Dd bringing dessert. Can't get essier than that. Will spend time in my sewing room today working on piecing king size quilt, only 4 more rows and top will be done. I guess bc of the size I will need to hand baste it and that will take a couple full days. I don't think there is an easy shortcut for that part. I know there's been some rants here lately about M and slow shipping. Well I am ready to jump in on that bandwagon. My gd has been begging for me to put together a sewing kit. She is turning 6 this weekend and I found a really cute little sewing basket at Joanns with dogs all over it and it was 30% off! Have you seen the outrageous prices sewing baskets are going for these days-- $50, you are kidding me. So two weeks ago, Aug 24, I ordered 1 yd of fabric from M plus some goodies to put I the new sewing basket. The order is still waiting to be cut, so now I am trying to decide if I should go shopping for stuff to put in the basket, or just tell her she will get a surprise pkg later I the mail. She lives 2 hours away but we are going for the party. You would think Aug 24 is plenty early to order something needed for Sept 8th but evidently not. Well one more cup of coffee them off to the sewing room to start my day.

Ginny B
September 3rd, 2018, 12:25 PM
Good morning everyone. It's a nice relaxing morning for us. We woke up and decided to stay home and enjoy our own backyard instead. We had a nice leisurely breakfast and now we are just sitting outside watching the birds and butterflies and listening to the wind chimes songs in the gentle breeze.

Suzanne, that weed torch sounds interesting. Let us know how it works out. Katrina, I do like that pattern a lot. I think I'd like to try it with fall colors, or maybe Christmas. Terry, I'm glad you were able to get the quilt finished on your other machine.

Joy, I've never read Anne of Green Gables or seen the movies. At least I don't remember reading it. I think they would be something I would enjoy. Going on my list. Karen, enjoy your movie and baslp, enjoy your bbq.

Have a good day all.

toggpine
September 3rd, 2018, 12:36 PM
I HAD to clear off the sewing table yesterday. I have a couple of things I need to finish for the grand-baby shower next week. I have three super-sized receiving blankets, about 42" square, that do multiple jobs. Swaddling, hooter hider for nursing, car seat cover, emergency diaper/pants, changing pad, etc. Then I have to finish the diaper bag and I'm making a couple of those snazzy pouches Pat gifted us to go inside. I have some things that will go inside the bag and with that and a box of either diapers or wipes from Costco, we should be set.
I made a master plan for cutting out some of the Devon Pouches. I hate to waste fabric, so a couple of minutes of planning with a piece of graph paper saved me lots of frustration! I also figured that I can get more than one out of a fat quarter, so that is an added bonus.
I'd like to say I'll spend this overcast day inside, but we received the call that our last load of hay is ready. WhooHoo! September "Candy Hay" is coming home girls! This lis the 4th cutting from this field and each cutting gets finer. This stuff just kind of disappears like cotton candy in the hay feeder. Some years we get this last cutting, and others the rains arrive first.

I hope you all have a great day and can sneak in some stitching!
Hugs, Cathy

birdscraps
September 3rd, 2018, 01:07 PM
Morning all! Really enjoyed sleeping in this morning. Yesterday was a good day for me. I got a table runner, a baby quilt and a quilt for donation all quilted on the machine and the binding sewed on and ready for hand sewing. I’m addicted to that new Jack Ryan show on Prime so I love having something to work on while I watch it.
Funny we are speaking of PEI and Anne of Green Gables. My Book Club just picked their September selection and it's "Marilla of Green Gables", a deep dive story into Marilla's character. I so loved Anne of Green Gables when I was a kid. I think I read it at least 20 times.
Off to a friend's birthday lunch and then home to finish some Halloween table runners I want to have ready for gifts.
Enjoy the day everyone!

Bubby
September 3rd, 2018, 05:12 PM
Hi Everyone...We re-stained the new fence we built across our road to keep out trespassers/poachers. It feels good to have that done for the year. I did a little machine embroidery and then gave up when everything went wrong. It can be a project for when I'm not so tired.

Tomorrow I have a big dental appointment with my dentist in his new location. If I didn't need immediate care I would look for another dentist. Two counties away is a bit much for me. It will be a long day for the Girls to be alone. Dottie will be almost out of her mind by the time I get home.

Dinner tonight will be hamburgers, oven fries and fruit. We have dessert but fruit sounds better to me.

I hope everyone is having a good Labor Day.

Carolnnc
September 3rd, 2018, 10:26 PM
Whew! Labor Day was truly the correct name for today.

DH said he never stopped putting hamburger & steaks into the meat case. He was two hours late getting home from work & limped in the door. He said he went into a squat in front of the meat counter to pick something up off the floor & couldn't get up. A customer had to help him get back to his feet. Mr. Stubborn Until The Day He Dies refuses to go to the doctor. I say nothing at this point in our many years together:)

I left home early to do errands & didn't make it back until 4:00. I went round & round the town. Pharmacy, hardware store, Walmart, Starbucks, thrift shop, to a different hardware store, garden center, pizza place & finally home. At dinner & started working thru boxes of files. I now have a huge burn pile & a box of recycle.

A realtor is coming at 6 pm on Wednesday & I have given up all hope of being ready. My OCD has gone so far out of control my best friend has been taking me out for lunch & walks around Hobby Lobby. I told her I was so tired I couldn't sleep. After trying to help DH put together a shelf I decided IKEA is the Swedish word for divorce. I never realized selling a house could be so stressful.

Well I'm going to try to sleep since tomorrow is another big day.

Hope everyone's day was good.

KPH
September 4th, 2018, 12:05 AM
Oh Carol, selling a house is way beyond stressful. I hope your real estate agent is as good as ours was. She came in and helped shift things around to stage the house. It was a delight working with her.

I hope you have sweet, restful dreams tonight and wake refreshed and ready to start the new day.

Carolnnc
September 4th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Oh Carol, selling a house is way beyond stressful. I hope your real estate agent is as good as ours was. She came in and helped shift things around to stage the house. It was a delight working with her.

I hope you have sweet, restful dreams tonight and wake refreshed and ready to start the new day.

Thank you Katrina. I fell into bed at 9 pm last night & the next thing I knew it was 6:30 am & my alarm clock was blaring.
I'm interviewing two agents. The lady who's coming tomorrow has been selling real estate in our town for 35 years. Although I knew of her I met her last fall when she was the agent for the kids who bought the house next door. The agent who's coming Friday is a school teacher turned real estate agent. He hasn't sold a lot of houses but I'm going to talk with him. There's one more person I want to talk to before I make a decision. Her office seems to have high sales in the area. I have no idea how to pick one of the three.