PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning, Sunny Sunday

KPH
September 2nd, 2018, 08:32 AM
Good Morning All,

A finish! I finished Kaylin's quilt yesterday! Admittedly, all I had to do was bind it, but it's done. I have the address and I'll get it in the mail on Tuesday. It was pretty good timing, sort of, it's her birthday weekend.

I'm ready for church, in jeans and tennis shoes. I'm not willing to put my sore toe out there in sandals. It's such a colorful thing. It's not really liking these light weight sock and shoes, so I know it would hate my leather shoes.

Time to gather my stuff. Have a great day!

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength,wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Cathy F
September 2nd, 2018, 08:57 AM
Morning all,
The sun is shining and looks to be the start of a nice day. Enjoying the quiet of the morning watching the cats playing outside. Soon they'll be at the door looking for their breakfast.

Yesterday we attended a pool party. Kids were all in the pool with all the floats and toys, they had a great time. Great company, good food, a great way to spend an afternoon with friends.

Today I have some sewing time ahead of me, I have to stitch close the witch wreaths that were stuffed. Shouldn't take too long.

Friday I hemmed 3 pairs of pants for my granddaughter which reminded me I have a pair of my own that I bought that need to be hemmed so that is on the agenda too.

Wishing everyone a good day, I'm off to fire up the Keurig for some coffee I hear my husband is up and off to get our bagel and Sunday paper.

JCY
September 2nd, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good Morning ~ Still dark here. It's supposed to be PC & in the 80's today. We had 91 deg. yest. & mostly sunny. It will be church this a.m., then right home with no stops for errands.

I'm still thinking about my friend Martha who died yest. It won't be the same without her, but she's with the Lord now.

I just got an e-m notification from our guild president that Bonnie Hunter is postponing her Sept. speaking engagement & classes at our guild due to her brother's brain cancer. He's with hospice & she wants to spend his final days with him & the family. They will reschedule at a later date. Prayers needed for Bonnie, her bro. & family.

Yest. I finished the FMQ on the outer border of the latest quilt. All that's left is a small section in the middle of the quilt, but I need to change thread color for it. Yay, it's almost done.

Last eve. I had an hour long phone chat with my son who lives near Seattle. The air quality up there has improved. Tomorrow is his birthday; he'll be 50 y.o. Where did the years go?!

Have a great day.

grammaterry
September 2nd, 2018, 09:13 AM
Don't know what I'm going to do today. I feel so lost now that my machine is dead. I can't go to get it fixed until Friday and just knowing that its not there leaves me with a real empty feeling. I might try to see if I can use my straight stitch machine and see if its possible to FMQ the rest of my project.
The weather is going to be hot and humid today. Right now its 60 and pleasant.
No plans for labor day. DH is getting his gear ready for bow season next week. He is very excited.
Fried some green tomatoes last night. They were soooooooooo tasty. I bought them at the farmers market because I was too lazy to plant a garden this year. A little pricey I'd say.
I tried to check out a book from the library on line and it says my library card is expired. Who knew that library cards expired? I was really at a loss on my kindle. I went to amazon and got a free book and read it yesterday. need to get another one today I guess. I was amazed that the book was zero dollars.

JulieC
September 2nd, 2018, 09:34 AM
Happy Sunday Morning!

It was so quiet when I woke up this morning...no dogs barking, no cars racing up the street, birds or chipmunks chirping...just the ringing in my ears. This isn't new, I've had ringing in my ears every day for as long as I can remember. Usually it gets drowned out by other noises. So, I turned on the TV and have the Bills / Bears game from Thursday night playing in the background. That's a little better.

I made some progress on the Halloween wall hanging yesterday. I discovered I cut one of the pieces backwards and had to re-do it. I will be very happy when this project is completed! I'm going to work on it again today.

I need to purchase some more cheaters glasses...I've been rather hard on them lately and am down to my last pair. I'm looking at the kind that are supposed to minimize the blue light from digital devices and reduce eye strain. I thought they would be great for work, as I spend all day on the computer. Has anyone tried those?

Katrina: Hope your foot feels better soon!

Have a great day!

Ginny B
September 2nd, 2018, 09:53 AM
Good morning all. It is sunny here now. When I first woke up it was pretty cloudy and it looked like it may have rained some overnight. Yesterday was very busy. We went to Jennifer Furniture and ordered new living room furniture! It will be here in 2-3 weeks. That gives us time to get things moved around and some things moved out......like the old sofa. Then we were off to Home Depot to get DH a new hedge trimmer. We got a battery operated one so we don't have to keep buying new electrical cords when he hits the cord while cutting the bushes.:icon_rolleyes:. Had a quick bite to eat when we got home and then it was yard work until around 5:30. Got the mowing, wedding and trimming done and transplanted a hosta. It was quite a too day's work.

Today we will work on getting some clothes together for donating and not too much else as far as work goes. We hope to have some beach time tomorrow.

Katrina, congrats on finishing the quilt. Cathy, can't wait to see the witch. The snowman was so cute. Terry, hope you get to do some sewing done on your other machine. Joy, glad you had a nice long conversation with your son. I love when I get to have some time to chat with my boys. Julie, looking forward to seeing a picture of your wallhanging.

Well I hear hubby stirring so he will be off to get some bagels for breakfast too this morning. Have a wonderful day everyone

SuzanneOrleansOntario
September 2nd, 2018, 09:59 AM
Good morning ladies,
It's cloudy and we are expecting rain over the long weekend. This is perfect as I really need to do NOTHING. DH is worried that I ameearing out. The telltale signs is that I drop off to sleep around 9-10 and sleep 8-10 hours. Then go-go-go.

Yesterday, I had to pick up mom's laundry (just brought it back), but she had an accident. I really need to talk to staff about being more vigilent with what she eats. She has dietary issues and yet they still serve her these foods. I also noticed that she is slipping and starting to believe her table partner has visited her parents. I told her that would be impossible as her parents would be over 120 years old. She disagreed and this is when I know that she spends too much time with this person. She used to realize that she was telling stories, now she believes them. She turns 95 next week. The family want a big party, but no one is stepping up to organize it. I may just have a meal in her building, or cake and coffee. Not sure.

DH went gliding yesterday. He got 4 lessons in. He really enjoys this. Then my girlfriend dropped by and we enjoyed some Sangria on the patio. Our girlfriend who lives across the street had been trying to call and text us to come over for burgers. We are not attached to our phones. She came over and got us, so we spent a fun evening with friends. I did get to see Jim's weed torch in action. I am going to LEe Valley Tools on Tuesday to get one. I am not going to keep bending over, torturing my body. WEEDS, watch out.

Katrina, I hope your toe heals soon. When I sailed more, I used to break toes regularly. One summer I broke 7 toes from May to October. You can't really set them, but you can support them. Time heals. Unfortunately now, I notice I get toe cramps a lot more.

Joy - so very sorry for your loss. It's too bad about Bonnie Hunter's brother. I wish I was closer to drop by as a guest to your guild. Is it considered a special event, that non-members can buy into? What a treat this would be to see her.

Have a good day everyone.

baslp
September 2nd, 2018, 10:27 AM
Good morning! Another cloudy day here. Hopefully the sun will peak out soon. I am starting to increase my activity level. I go to lift something and have to stop myself and ask for help. I am used to caring for 4 dogs and 2 cats with little help from my DH. I want to make a few more blocks for the quilt I am making.

KarenC
September 2nd, 2018, 02:33 PM
Oh my, was going to say good morning, and just realized it is afternoon. Well, it is a cloudy day today. Slept in a little and would have been late to mass, so just waited and went to a later mass. DS woke up and decided to drive to Dallas to visit a friend. Wow, to be young again and drive 4 hours to visit a friend and come back the very next day. My body just can't handle that anymore. Yesterday was the birthday party for DGD at my home. It was very low key, just immediate family. I did manage to create some binding last night from some left over fabric I didn't want to put back in my stash. Well, it's time to get on with my day. Think I will head in the quilting room.

JCY
September 2nd, 2018, 03:40 PM
Suzanne ~ Re: our guild: We have >300 members now. We have an ave. monthly attendance of 100-150 -- more if there is a special speaker. Our annual membership fee is $30. Anyone can visit as a guest & pay $10. for a one time event. Bonnie Hunter had been booked as a guest speaker for a long time in advance. She was to have taught 2 all-day classes while here. It's certainly understandable that she would want to spend these final days with her bro. & fam. I know they'll work it out for a future time.

I think it was last year during the bad wildfires in OR that she canceled a trip there due to all the fires & smoke.

I really enjoy our guild. Due to my caregiving responsibilities, I can't participate in any of the all-day sew days or attend any of the retreats or be part of one of the many smaller groups that work together, like Quilts of Valor, etc. Last year we had such nationally known quilters as Angela Walters & Karen McTavish speak & hold classes. There were other out-of-town speakers, too, of whom I hadn't known, but they were very interesting. We also have some very talented ladies in our guild who have spoken & demo'd their quilts. Several are LAers. We even have a few men & children who come. At least 2 of our members teach classes at one of the LQSs. I feel fortunate to have such a good group in my city.

chelea
September 2nd, 2018, 03:40 PM
Good afternoon everyone! Gorgeous day here, 81, sunny, dry with a little breeze. We're sitting out on the deck enjoying the last days of summer. Today is our 39th wedding anniversary. God Bless my DH for putting up with me for this long. We're headed to a baseball game this eve with family. Fireworks to follow at the end of the game. We'll have some beers and eat ballpark junk...what better way to celebrate, right?
Yesterday I conquered my Blockhead block from the week before last. Whew. I also got my 30's blocks all trimmed...the quilt should go together pretty quickly.
My heart is heavy though, watching Senator McCain's service yesterday. He was a hero and a true patriot.

Cokie
September 2nd, 2018, 07:05 PM
Relaxing Sunday here. DH just went to pick up soup and salads for dinner from a local restaurant. DS has been staying with us for a couple of days. He's not feeling well and prefers to stay here rather than his apartment, which is only about 5 minutes away. Nothing serious, I think he just wants a little TLC. I got the binding ready for my quilt. DH is using the dining room table so I can't sew but he'll be finished later and tomorrow it will be all mine. I just need to get the borders on my quilt top and it will be ready to go to the quilter. I also need to press the backing, so I'll do that tonight and get the borders on tomorrow. So happy for a long weekend and a chance to relax a bit.

JaniceR
September 2nd, 2018, 09:06 PM
Joy, we are going to be traveling through the Denver area soon. Can you recommend any particular quilt stores in the area? I won’t have long, but would like to make a quick stop at a couple if you can recommend any.

Thanks for any help!

JCY
September 2nd, 2018, 10:41 PM
Janice ~ I'm not familiar with the Denver quilt stores. I'm NW of Denver, so the largest shop that I visit is Lyons Quilting in the town of Lyons. They have a web site & are on facebook. I've taken classes there. They have a huge selection of Kaffe Fassett fabrics. I find lots of bargains in their "orphan corner". You can get FQs of any of their fabrics. If they don't have one cut & on the shelf, they'll cut for you. There is a quilt shop in Broomfield, but I never have been to it. At least 3 quilt stores in the area have closed in the past few yrs. Maybe the on-line shopping is putting them out of business.

If you plan to drive up to the mts., maybe to Estes Park or Rocky Mtn. Nat'l. Park, Lyons is right on the way. Enjoy your trip. There is lots to see & do in Colorado.

JaniceR
September 3rd, 2018, 12:55 AM
Janice ~ I'm not familiar with the Denver quilt stores. I'm NW of Denver, so the largest shop that I visit is Lyons Quilting in the town of Lyons. They have a web site & are on facebook. I've taken classes there. They have a huge selection of Kaffe Fassett fabrics. I find lots of bargains in their "orphan corner". You can get FQs of any of their fabrics. If they don't have one cut & on the shelf, they'll cut for you. There is a quilt shop in Broomfield, but I never have been to it. At least 3 quilt stores in the area have closed in the past few yrs. Maybe the on-line shopping is putting them out of business.

If you plan to drive up to the mts., maybe to Estes Park or Rocky Mtn. Nat'l. Park, Lyons is right on the way. Enjoy your trip. There is lots to see & do in Colorado.

Joy, thank you so much for the information! That is helpful and if we are able I will try to check out the shop in Lyons.
Thank you again!