PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Greetings!

JCY
September 1st, 2018, 11:21 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I'm late today, but I still don't see a Sat. daily thread, so I'll chime in. Mostly clear skies this a.m. It might be 10 deg. cooler today. We got up to 95 yest. There definitely is a hint of Fall in the air. Cooler nights & mornings, but still nice during the day.

This a.m. I need to make a run out to Walmart before the store gets crazy. I usually avoid it on the week-ends, plus this is a holiday wk.-end. But I need to pick up 2 Rx's & a couple things. Then it will be the nursing home to see my friend. The report I got yest. is that she is failing quite rapidly. Her son & DIL have to leave today to return to CA. They were able to clear out her apt. & turn over the keys. That was a humungous job, since she had a lot of stuff. I think they donated most of it, are taking a few items home with them, & left a couple items for a friend to sell on Craig's list.

DS#1 called yest. while on his commute home (D.C. area); even though he left work early, traffic still was bad as many others had the same idea for the holiday wk.-end. We had a good chat for 40 min. It's been 15 mos. since he was last here; it's doubtful he'll make it out to see us this year, what with starting his new mgr. responsibilities, etc.

I accomplished more FMQ yest. I'm working on the border, after which I need to change thread color & do a few spots in the light area of the panel. The end is in sight!

I hope everyone has a good holiday week end.

Cathy F
September 1st, 2018, 11:37 AM
Good morning all,
Not much is new with me but wanted to jump on and say I hope everyone's enjoys their weekend. Hard to believe September is here, time sure flies by! I'm looking forward to the fall and the cooler weather and beautiful fall colors.

Today we are going to a back to school pool party, parents are smiling! Usually the only one in the pool are the kids, with the cooler temps at night the pool water temp has probably dropped some but it doesn't seem to bother them.

Off to do a few chores, have a safe weekend!

Carolnnc
September 1st, 2018, 12:35 PM
Good morning. It's going to be hot here today so most chores will be inside.

We have a realtor coming on Wednesday so the push is on to get everything ship shape. I have the last small closet to paint & the small pantry in the kitchen. I just noticed I didn't paint the window sill in the master bedroom so I'll have to knock that our today.
I then need to make the 2nd & 3rd bedroom look like a bedroom as they are empty now.

Hopefully the young man I talked with will show up to pressure wash the house, driveway, porch & deck. He's supposed to be here at 11:00 & it's 11:07. I called 5 different people & he was the only one who called me back. I also called 5 people about fixing the foundation mortar cracks. One man came out last Wednesday & told me he'd email me an estimate the next day & be able to get it it this weekend. Never heard from him. Same thing with the plumber, ceiling guy & bug man I called. I did see where someone rear ended the ceiling guy yesterday so I'm giving him a pass.

I am so ready to get the house on the market, sold & move on. I will dearly miss my house but not the town. Our little town has grown into a big city & I'm ready to head for some country lanes.

The pressure washer guy showed up!!!

Have a great day.

KPH
September 1st, 2018, 12:41 PM
Good Morning All,

Happy Labor Day Weekend! It's hard to believe it's already September.

I started putting stuff away in the kiddos play/homeschool room yesterday. I have a sofa full because I'm not patiently waiting for the kids to hang the TV. Right now, I'm thinking I'll head out to Lowes to pick up a floating shelf to put a DVD player and the cable box on. The TV could sit on that, but I'd rather have it anchored to the wall since the kids will be in there.

Mike took me to Cinnamon's (quilt shop) and Palm Tree Long arm to pick up Kaylyn's quilt. I was concerned, because I didn't see the left over fabric when she unfolded it part way. I was thrilled when I saw they'd left it attached to the end. Now to cut strips for the binding and finish trimming it up. Hopefully, I'll have it ready to go by the end of the weekend.

I picked up a yard and a half of pale yellow to be the background for the baby quilt. One of Jenny's half square triangle quilts came up yesterday in my you tube feed. She made a large quilt. At the end, she showed a baby quilt that she made with one charm of color and one of background. I'll have plenty for that! I'm thinking about minkie for the back, but here in FL, that might be a little excessive.

Joy, Mike had big plans for a grocery run to Walmart today. I wanted to go early but he wasn't up. So, I sat down on the computer and did my shopping online. Since I can't drive, Publix delivery is a godsend to me. Now, I won't have to go to Walmart when all the nuts are out!

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

KPH
September 1st, 2018, 12:47 PM
I also called 5 people about fixing the foundation mortar cracks.

Carol, I'm not sure to the extent of your foundation cracks, but if they're not structural just superficial, you can get a tube (like caulk) but it's mortar in the tube. Howard filled our crack with that before we sold out house. I don't remember the name of it, but we picked it up at Lowe's.

JulieC
September 1st, 2018, 01:26 PM
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

I got a bit of a late start this morning, but Mom's bills are paid, my bills are paid, and I signed up for my utility bills to be sent electronically to my bank. The phone/internet people have been after me for a while to switch to paperless billing, and sent me an email a couple of weeks ago saying they were switching me over to paperless whether I wanted it or not. My biggest concern was missing the email, I'm hoping by having the bills sent directly to the bank I will be able to keep track. I can always opt out later if it doesn't work out.

Home Instead came out to Mom's house twice this week, once Mom gets used to the idea we hope to have them out more often. The first day went fine. The second day went ok with the caregiver, but...Mom woke up from her afternoon nap and just lit into my sister and made her cry. My sister was finally able to get Mom to calm down, and told her it's either accept the care giver or I would put Mom in a home. Which is not a lie. A friend of mine thought it was hilarious that my sister was making me the bad guy -- instead of "wait until your father gets home," it's "behave or Julie will put you in a home." :icon_rofl: If it works, I'm ok with that.

High temperatures have returned, it's supposed to be hot and humid through Thursday of next week, with temperatures in the upper 80's, low 90's. I think I will enjoy the air conditioning and work on a project or two. I'm still working on the Halloween wall hanging, and the Stairway to Cat Heaven quilt has been calling my name.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

baslp
September 1st, 2018, 03:51 PM
Good afternoon all- seems like we are going to have a grey Labor Day weekend. Hopefully rain showers will hold off . There is a huge Made In America show on the Parkway. I plan on staying home and resting. I did sew a few mote blocks on my Gelato quilt.

Carolnnc
September 1st, 2018, 04:04 PM
Carol, I'm not sure to the extent of your foundation cracks, but if they're not structural just superficial, you can get a tube (like caulk) but it's mortar in the tube. Howard filled our crack with that before we sold out house. I don't remember the name of it, but we picked it up at Lowe's.

Thanks Katrina. I called my baby brother & he told me to look at YouTube videos & then head to Lowes. He had two heart attacks recently so he can't help out when I need him. But he did remind me we grew up living in houses while dad remodeled them to re-sell so we have the genes to fix the foundation without paying someone. Another thing to add to my to-do list.

grammaterry
September 1st, 2018, 08:20 PM
Sat down to finish the FMQ on a quilt this morning and whump..screech..and whoa...the new (8 month old Viking) quit. It will not sew. I cleaned the bobbin, turned it by hand, tried a straight stitch..just a screech. Called the LQS where I bought it and they said bring it in. Only 250 miles. They put the repairman on the line and he had me describe the problem. He thinks???maybe the belt has slipped off but will need to open it up. I will drive there on Friday I guess. Oooh, I'm not happy, but, it is still under warranty for 4 more months so I guess better sooner than later. He said if its a belt, I can take it home, if he has to get a part, he'll keep it.
I really need to finish a few more Shriner projects but alas, what will be will be.

Mimi_Howard
September 1st, 2018, 08:57 PM
Oh nooooooo grammaterry! Hopefully it is only the belt and no need to do any further surgery on it!

chelea
September 1st, 2018, 09:57 PM
Yikes Terry! Maybe it's God telling you to take a break for a change!

cv quilter
September 2nd, 2018, 11:19 AM
Shoot, Terry!!! What a bummer. Hope he is able to get it repaired and back to you ASAP.

grammaterry
September 2nd, 2018, 06:46 PM
I just read the warranty and you know whats excluded? Belts!!
Don't know whether to hope its that because that is simple or that its something that the warrantey covers.
Shoot, Terry!!! What a bummer. Hope he is able to get it repaired and back to you ASAP.

cv quilter
September 2nd, 2018, 07:24 PM
A belt shouldn't be that expensive. Hope it's that/lol. Service should still be warranted??