PDA

View Full Version : Monday Hellos

SuzanneOrleansOntario
August 27th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Good morning,
I'm going to jump in as I don't see a thread going yet.

Yesterday turned out to be a hot sunny day, after the cloudy start. Today and rest of week will be hot and humid. I picked up a new outdoor carpet for the front step. It looks good. Now I need to get the steps cleaned off. They have a rock paint finish that has a few stains on them and it looks distracting. I may repaint it or try scrubbing again to get the stains off. I also picked up some new patatoes and beets. I cooked the beets and made zuchini chocolate muffins. I brought the beets and muffins to DIL and SS house, where we also had pizza. Diana goes in on Tuesday morning for c-section, so I guess we will visit later that day.

I also ordered cucumbers to make sweet garlic dill pickles for my girlfriend. I pick up tuesday so it's going to be busy this week.

Gotta run and make mco free. Have a good day. Stay safe and stay dry and cool.

Cathy F
August 27th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Morning all,
A nice sunny day here, we are o ff to have breakfast with our friends this morning.

I have been busy with another project for Pilot Club. We will be making 30 wreaths for the marketplace at our Northeast division workshops. They are so darn cute, 15 snowmen and 15 witches. Will post a picture when I've got one done. Until this project is done won't be too much of my own sewing going on.

Hope Monique is enjoying her vacation, thanks for getting us started this morning Suzanne! Well time to go, wishing all a good day!

JCY
August 27th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Good Morning ~ We're supposed to have a hot & windy day today. Fire danger is high; we're under a red flag warning. Yest. it popped up to 101 deg.! That was a surprise. It wasn't supposed to get that hot. A cold front is expected tonight, with only 70's tomorrow -- just for 1 day, then back to the 80's & 90's.

Guess what I saw in our back yard yest. a.m.? At daybreak I looked out my BR window & what did I see but a raccoon! I said out loud, "What are YOU doing in our yard?" It just looked at me & then went under our shed -- through the same opening the rabbits & the feral cat use. It looked like a young one; otherwise I don't think it would have fit through that opening. We don't have any apple trees to attack the coons. They used to visit our yard when we still had our golden delicious tree. We have 2 crabapple trees, but the fruit isn't ready. The one tree didn't bear this year. The other has fire blight. A lot of fruit trees around town this year have fire blight.

Yest. was church. When I took my friend back to the asst'd. living ctr. I gave her the Bloom Bouquet quilt. She was very pleased & got tearful. "I don't deserve this," she said. She moves to ID this week.

In the afternoon yest. I sandwiched & pin basted the Noah's Ark quilt. It's ready for FMQ.

Today my DIL flies to Amsterdam to visit her Holland family. She plans to stay 3 wks. I hope she has a wonderful time. She's from Spakenburg.

Time to get on with day.

Bubby
August 27th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Hi Everyone...This is going to be a busy day for me. I have errands this morning followed by lunch with a GF for her birthday. We have to go to Houston to get anything decent to eat. We have a fairly good place to eat here in town but they are closed Mondays.

The Girls are taking their Monday morning nap so I need to get off here and shower and put myself together for the day. It's going to be near 100 today so filling the girls' pool is in my future for sure. Jeff went to work today still on Light Duty. There are so many limitations by the doctor that all he can do is sit, which bores him to tears. He will be having a MRI later this week.

Wishing everyone a good Monday and special thoughts of Monique and Les on their vacation. Hugs all around.....

grammaterry
August 27th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Speaking of critters, Joy, a bear came into DH's garden and ate all his cantelopes. He was so proud that he had a few that were almost ripe, but lo, the bear got their first. Left his finger (paw ) prints all around. DH said he will get those cantelopes in another form. ha ha.
I restacked a wood pile yesterday that had been blown over in one of those big wind storms we had a few weeks ago. Seems like more work the second time since I had to retrieve all the logs.
A crisp morning today. Not 60 yet but suppose to get to 80.
Pulled weeds yesterday and moved some iris bulbs. Thinned out some day lilies that were overrunning some of the iris. With all this rain, things have just gotten out of hand. Everything has grown wild except for garden plants.

Ginny B
August 27th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Good morning all. It's a nice sunny day here. Not too hot yet so I am sitting outside on my patio enjoying a cup of tea and bird sounds. I've got the sprinklers running up front and a load of laundry in. I will sit outside and enjoy my yard for a little while and then head inside and do a few things. I have a shelf in one of the kitchen cabinets that has some glasses that we never, ever use and probably never will so I will be packing those up for donation and using that shelf for some other things that I have been looking for a home for. then I think I'll go through some of my clothes and get them ready for donation. Lots of clothes that I needed for work can go to someone else now. Of course, I will keep some for those times that I need to be a little more "dressed" than jeans and a tee shirt but I don't need quite so many of those. Then I will spend some time in my sewing room. I need to clean my sewing machine since I have been sewing a lot of burp clothes using diapers and flannel. And I have an order for two dozen more.

Cathy, can't wait to see pictures of those wreaths. They sound adorable. Suzanne, have fun with those pickles. We just canned 12 pints of bread and butter pickles last weekend and our plants are still giving us more so I see a few more pints in our future. Joy, I am sure your friend will treasure that quilt especially now that she will be moving.

Barb, I hope Jeff gets to feeling better soon and can get back to regular work and not be bored. Terry, yikes, a bear!

Have a good day all. Hoping Monique and Les are having a super time on their vacation. Prayers and hugs going out to all those that need them.

songbird857
August 27th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Morning all...
Been busy here with odds and ends, but I am getting into the sewing room more these days :)
I just placed an order with Wawak for some thread and zippers. It appears that the Swoon Rucksack that I posted a few weeks ago is a hot commodity ;) I let a friend use it, and had a bunch of requests for one, so I'm working on some more. Wawak sells some Gutermann thread called Mara, so I ordered some topstitching thread to try it out. I'm still trying to find just the right weight for topstitching cork/canvas wallets - but it may be time soon to upgrade to an actual industrial machine...hmmm maybe Christmas! I have an old Singer 6215, that I got for FREE - It handles thicker material beautifully, but chokes a bit on heavier thread. I'll figure it out eventually...
Ok, I'm off to have breakfast, then some sewing today - I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Claire Hallman
August 27th, 2018, 10:58 AM
It might be your needle that is balking at the heavier thread, have you tried an 18 or perhaps a jeans needle?

Monique
August 27th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Just a quick hello from PEI. We made it here finally after much driving. We could not get a room anywhere along the way so we drove until we could drive no more and then spent a couple of hours in a truck stop sleeping in the van. Not ideal but it worked. Slept like logs today. Getting organized and picking up a few supplies.

I will make it to a quilt store or two in the coming days.

:icon_wave::icon_wave::icon_wave: from PEI

songbird857
August 27th, 2018, 11:56 AM
It might be your needle that is balking at the heavier thread, have you tried an 18 or perhaps a jeans needle?
Claire, I have been using a jeans needle. I think the thread I was trying was too coarse. It was Coats and Clark craft thread. I picked up some jeans thread over the weekend, we'll see how that goes today!! :)

Simply Quilting
August 27th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Good Afternoon! Saturday was very hot and humid which brought in much needed rain on Saturday night and part of Sunday. Then it turned humid again. It is suppose to be that way for today then rain sometime tomorrow.

Yesterday I worked on the charity quilt. The first round of blocks is done. Today I start the second round of blocks. This quilt is looking nothing like what I had planned out with all the copy right issues. I tell you if you ever making anything, make sure the fabric is already printed as this has been the biggest issue the whole time. The block that I had planned on the second round would not work because the symbols have to be so due to copy right which really limit what blocks you can do without chopping the fabric up where you can not see what the print is. The neat part is this is a one of a kind quilt as some of the items, the university only allowed a one time printing - downside of this is I have to make sure I do it right the first time as some of the fabric as we can't get it reprinted.

I had three tablerunners quilted by my LAQ and she brought them to me last night. I love how they turned out withe the silver metallic thread. Thankfully, they were just table runners because she would have never quilted a whole quilt with that thread as picky as it was. That was one of the reasons I had her do it. The second was I knew she could figure out a great pattern to quilt them with that would add the correct amount of accent and she did a great job.

Have a great day everyone :)

KPH
August 27th, 2018, 07:19 PM
I'm late to the party, but I've had three under 6 all day today. I don't know how Nana and Nandy do it! (But they do it together, I was alone until Mike came out of his room at 1:30.

Yesterday, Mike and I primed two walls in the 'kids room'. The plan was to get 1 coat of paint on tonight, but right now my feet are propped up and I may not move except to go to bed.

I talked to my MIL, DH's youngest brother has moved in with her, a divorce is in the works. The house that my SIL had to have, and then was never satisfied with, is on the market. I told him when we left at the airport that he knew what he needed to do, he just needed to get it over with. He's been miserable for so long. It would break my heart to see him around her, it didn't matter what he said or did, it would be the wrong thing. It's a shame, but the 'right' girl for him is a close family friend. You can see it in both of their eyes, and how they act around each other, but that's another long story.

Well, it's been busy around here and I'm probably going to head to bed early tonight. I'm not sure what tomorrow is going to bring, or that time it's going to be brought. Nandy goes back to the doctor 2 times tomorrow and they weren't sure what times they were going to have to be there. So, I'll have kids/ or kid for part of the day.

Prayers for those in need. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JCY
August 27th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Terry ~ Yikes! A bear! So sad your melons got eaten. How disappointing. I haven't seen any more of the raccoon. The rabbits always are around. Haven't seen the feral cat in a while. At least no skunk smell the past couple nights. I wondered what kind of critters you might have in your area with your being so close to the forested areas. Aren't the Smoky Mts. on the other side of your property? I know there are a lot of bears there. People who live along the Front Range foothills here, the western suburbs of Boulder, etc. have problems with bears & even mountain lions. They warn people to take down their bird feeders, have locked garbage cans, etc. People have to keep their vehicles locked or bears can open the doors & wreck havoc on the interiors. A couple years ago there was a video on the news of a bear walking on its back legs in Aspen pushing a large garbage dumpster down an alley. They are a problem right in town there. On rare occasions, bears have been known to wander into our city as well, esp. in the fall when apples are abundant & the bears are storing up food for winter hibernation.

KarenC
August 27th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Hello everyone, or maybe I should wait until morning. This is my 4th attempt today to say hello. Each time I would be in the middle of my post, DGD would come over and start touching keyboard, or I had to close for some other reason with her. Each time, of course, I lost what I had written before. Well, I am home now and no little ones around to touch and see. Saturday was a day full of errands. Sunday, I actually stitched the binding to the front of a charity quilt, just need to tack it down on the back now. Also started cutting and stabilizing t shirts for 2 memory quilts, that client wants for Christmas. At least I convinced her to give them to me now and stop waiting. I'm having a tough time keeping track of my time on this project, because I would like to decide afterwards if I want to do this for others or just for special friends. We'll see. It did feel good to actually sew and quilt again. I think it had been 2 weeks where I lost my mojo. I need to decide what to work on at retreat in 3.5 weeks so that I can prep those projects. Felt a little breeze when I went out a few minutes ago to the grocery store. That sure helped offset the 98 degree temps.

Not sure if I will get on or not tomorrow since it is another day with the GD. She is the sweetest baby but... Then, I always feel guilty when I come home because she starts crying as soon as she sees me pick up my bag, and comes over for another hug, hoping I'll stay. Katrina, I don't know how you handle 3 of them.

KPH
August 27th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Not sure if I will get on or not tomorrow since it is another day with the GD. She is the sweetest baby but... Then, I always feel guilty when I come home because she starts crying as soon as she sees me pick up my bag, and comes over for another hug, hoping I'll stay. Katrina, I don't know how you handle 3 of them.

Normally, I don't have all three of them at one time. Nana and Nandy do! I don't know how they do it! Of course they started with Jonathan, then two years later they added Esther and a little over another year they added Zeke. They're both in their 70s and those three kids love them to pieces. Frankly, I think the merry threesome keep them young!

I tell my son, he's so blessed having Morgan's grandparents that want to be such a big part of these kids lives! I know Nana's dream is to see the woman Esther grows up to be. I hope and pray that she'll be granted that wish, because Esther is going to be an amazing woman.... lol, if we can ever get her potty trained, that is. :-)

It certainly was easier to keep them when Howard was here to help.

chelea
August 28th, 2018, 12:40 AM
Well, no bears here but it was an eventful morning in our normally quiet town. Early this am, an armed man was discovered in a church sanctuary. A church administrator was able to get him to leave without incident. The suspect headed up the road toward a very busy shopping center. Police were alerted and when they arrived on the scene the suspect fired at them, hitting the cruiser. The police shot the suspect who was later taken to the hospital and survived. The officers had minor injuries. This could have had a terrible outcome if it wasn't for those well trained, brave officers. This all happened within about 2 miles of my home. So scary.