PDA

View Full Version : It's Saturday!

JCY
August 25th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I have to assume Monique is on her way to PEI. I hope she & Les have a wonderful time.

Oh, so smoky here yesterday. I think it was the worst air all summer. The radio news aid the smoke was coming from Nev. The eve. TV news said it was coming from the Canada fires. Very murky air. I couldn't even see the foothills, let alone the mts. One could even smell the smoke at times. It's supposed to be smoky again today. We had a high temp. of 94 yest.

Yest. a.m. I went for my fasting blood draw, came home for breakfast, then headed out to the groc. store. Just had time to put things away, then it was time to go to lunch with our Lady Bugs group. There were 16 of us. We went to a Mexican restaurant this time. Afterwards, I made a quick stop at Vit. Cot. to re-stock my Kombucha & get a few things. In the eve. I prepped the celery & carrots for the chicken soup. By the time I wash up the food processor, etc., that takes a good 90 min. I'll be in the kitchen all morning making soup.

I hope all our Forum friends in Hawaii are doing ok. Such torrential rain & flooding!

No more time now. I hope everyone has a good week end.

grammaterry
August 25th, 2018, 09:39 AM
It has been a real cold front here in the NC mountains the past two day. Below 50 when I got up. The days are glorious though in the 70's. Suppose to get back to summer temps next week...low 80's.
DH worked on the falcon all day yesterday. He has it all cleaned and polished. Its amazing how groddy it had gotten from just sitting in the garage these last 10 years. I am hoping he will take me for a ride today.
I worked on Katrina's donation yesterday. She sent a flying geese baby quilt and extra blocks. I made 3 extra blocks to finish it up. Amazing how difficult it is to match up cream colors from stash. I put them all together and have a 48x65 small quilt. I am almost done quilting it. I think it will turn out pretty.
For some reason I'm feeling a little down today. But its early. A friend has invited me to fly down to FL in Nov to visit. I need to talk to DH about that. She wants me to come the week after Thanksgiving or the week before Christmas.

JulieC
August 25th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

We had a marvelous fall preview earlier in the week -- low to mid 70's, low humidity...it was wonderful! Low 80's today, with a chance of rain this afternoon, then the 90's return for a few days. Not loving the 90's, I wonder how many we have had this year in comparison to prior years. Seems like we have had more than usual.

Woke up with a bit of a headache this morning, just took a couple of Tylenol, hoping it doesn't turn into a migraine. Lots of cleaning, etc. to do, I mowed the front yard Thursday night and the back yard last night -- that should free up some time to spend in the sewing room, right? ;)

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

KPH
August 25th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Good Morning All,

Yesterday was hurry up and wait. I finished painting Howard's grandmother's dresser. He'd painted the cabinet black and the drawer faces the color of his accent wall (melon). So, two coats of Kilz and 2 coats of paint later, it's finally white again and sitting in the closet. I'm getting ready to put all the linens that have been stored in plastic boxes into the laundry. All of the sheets are queen sized and I'll keep a few of them since I'm supposed to get MIL's bedroom suit, but with me making the water bed I can't manage getting the queen size bottom sheets on the bed.

After the paint dried yesterday, I started filling in all of the holes in DH's room. It's a mess right now. I want to go get paint today and get one coat on today, and one on tomorrow. We'll see what happens... or when Mike gets up! Two large cabinets need to move to the middle of the floor and the cedar chest needs to move out.

I'd really like to get this room done, so after Labor Day, we can start having school in there! Mike was convinced if we bought the paint, the recommended painter would call back. So, I'm going to buy paint, but I'm not waiting on him to call.

Time to start sanding all of those little patches. Have a wonderful weekend.

Prayers for those in need for healing, comfort, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers for those in natures fury path. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
August 25th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Good morning ladies,

We had a few coolish days in the 70s but yesterday temperature started to climb with humidity. We will be in the 90s with humidity for most of next week. I did about 3 hours of yardwork, cleaning up the front beds as well as removing the weeds between the stone walkway to the side yard. I will do more today, as everything just went wild while away this summer. I am really enjoying the new patio door. It is so clear and gives a beautiful view of the yard. We haven't put up the lines yet. I went to a blinds place yesterday to look at other options. The lady will bring her samples on Sept 6. I think it's time for a change. These have been there for 18 years. I am also checking out new lazy boy chairs for the sunroom. This is where we spent most of our time, and the ones we have are not doing it for me any more. I will watch for sales.

Praying for rain for relief from all the fires. Stay safe and dry. Have a good day.

Cokie
August 25th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Morning, all! I'm enjoying a cup of coffee in the quiet. DH is still sleeping. DS is coming over in a little while to do some laundry before he goes to work. He said he'd make a late breakfast so I'm looking forward to that. He's a cook at a restaurant so it's always good when he cooks. He works evenings and weekends so I don't get to see him much during the week unless he stops over on his day off.

I have so many things on my to-do list for the weekend that I'm not sure where to start. I'm considering moving my sewing stuff upstairs to a small extra bedroom that I use for a craft room (scrapbooking mostly). It's a small room and I'm not sure if there would be enough room to sew, but maybe if I rearranged things I could make it work. I have sewn at the dining room table for years. We'll see how hot it gets before I decide to tackle that project - there is no A/C up there. We had a day earlier in the week that was so wonderfully like fall that I'm not looking forward to the return of hot weather. Seems like the weather is always at an extreme lately...

Hope you all have a great Saturday!

LauraP
August 25th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Had to take my sewing machine in yesterday as it has decided it is fun to break needles. 3 in one sitting! So I will pull out my retreat machine so I can finish DH's birthday present. He turns 72 Thursday. This weekend is the towns 150th birthday so lots of celebrating to do. One of the activities is "Old time kids games and activities". I teased DH that he qualifies since he is an old kid. Luckily he thought it was funny.
Have a good one.

KarenC
August 25th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Good morning everyone. I can promise you those 80 and low 90 Temps have not made it to SE TX yet. Today, the walking group was almost 6 miles. Thankfully we start very early (6 am) to beat some of the heat, but still hot enough that clothes are drenched when we finish up. Knee started bothering me around mile 5, so giving it a rest now. I think I will wait until this evening to mow the lawn. Need to hit up 2 of the LQS today. One for thread. This shop is closing on Friday and is where I get all my King Tut cones at wholesale. Going to really miss that bargain price. The other store is having open house today, meet the teachers, register for classes and 25% off all purchases. Too bad I'm on a fabric diet. Well we'll see how that goes. Reorganization of sewing room coming along. A friend brought over the shirts for memory quilts yesterday, so hopefully I can start on them this weekend.

Prayers for all dealing with illnesses or severe weather issues.

JCY
August 25th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Suzanne ~ What a lovely view out your new doors. Everything looks so lush & green. I would hate to cover it up. However, I'm sure you want privacy at night. I'm sure you'll figure out the right thing.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
August 25th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Suzanne ~ What a lovely view out your new doors. Everything looks so lush & green. I would hate to cover it up. However, I'm sure you want privacy at night. I'm sure you'll figure out the right thing.

It's more to cover the sun in the morning and afternoon as we sit there with our coffee and watch the weather channel. I do like to check out the yard and what needs to be done. At night, I'm not too worried for privacy, as we back on a school property and the other side is the corner street, so no one can see in. Mostly for the sun.

Anitamae56
August 25th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Good morning ladies,

We had a few coolish days in the 70s but yesterday temperature started to climb with humidity. We will be in the 90s with humidity for most of next week. I did about 3 hours of yardwork, cleaning up the front beds as well as removing the weeds between the stone walkway to the side yard. I will do more today, as everything just went wild while away this summer. I am really enjoying the new patio door. It is so clear and gives a beautiful view of the yard. We haven't put up the lines yet. I went to a blinds place yesterday to look at other options. The lady will bring her samples on Sept 6. I think it's time for a change. These have been there for 18 years. I am also checking out new lazy boy chairs for the sunroom. This is where we spent most of our time, and the ones we have are not doing it for me any more. I will watch for sales.

Praying for rain for relief from all the fires. Stay safe and dry. Have a good day.

That is lovely, the big doors are perfect, and will be beautiful even this winter comes also. It is perfect and so peaceful looking. Enjoy,!