PDA

View Full Version : Where Am I Going?

Carolnnc
August 15th, 2018, 04:27 PM
The countdown to selling the house & moving has begun. Today I rented a storage unit & purchased boxes & bubble wrap. The house will go on the market the first of October & I'm asking for a 45 day closing which will have the move out in the middle of Nov. DH's last day of work will be Dec. 31st. I have no idea where we will go between the middle of Nov. & Dec. 31st. We may be sleeping in my car :D

So here's the rub. DH wants to move away from the area but for the last year I haven't been able to get him to go look at other areas he might like. Also his list of what he wants in a house/yard is so out of the norm & we have a small budget. It seems that it will be more of finding a house that fits the budget and then deciding if the area is safe. For the last year I've been looking on Zillow & Trulia at all of NC, the lower part of VA & the upper part of SC, which is as far as he's willing to go. When I go to Zillow or Trulia & put in the options for a house/yard it goes from 150 houses to two. Usually the two are "handy man" specials & DH is no handy man!

GrandmaTerry asked in another post if I knew where we were headed. I don't know where we are going but I'm sure it's going to be an interesting adventure!

Monique
August 15th, 2018, 04:36 PM
Well I hope you are able to find something that you will both be happy with.

KarenC
August 15th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Good luck! Hoping you both find your forever place. You can always rent for a bit until you find where you want to be. It's a good way to try it out.

nativetexan
August 15th, 2018, 07:08 PM
check the weather in places you are checking too. flooding, etc. Another reason to pick and choose. Good luck.

grammaterry
August 15th, 2018, 07:17 PM
state emp. credit union has a house in our neighborhood for RENT. It is 3 bedrooms/1 bath/basement on 9 acres fairly mountainous. Don't know the price. But a policeofficer rented it for the past two years and he has bought a farm across the road. You might check on that.

Carolnnc
August 15th, 2018, 10:04 PM
state emp. credit union has a house in our neighborhood for RENT. It is 3 bedrooms/1 bath/basement on 9 acres fairly mountainous. Don't know the price. But a policeofficer rented it for the past two years and he has bought a farm across the road. You might check on that.

Thanks! We are members of the SECU so I'll go by tomorrow & see if they can tell me anything. I'll let you know what I find out.

Maria Sews
August 15th, 2018, 10:49 PM
You might find that you don't want to narrow your search down too much. In my past moves (we're in our eighth house and rented twice before that) I found that many of the listings don't have all the specifics keyed in. For example, things like a fenced yard, fireplace, or other details that some listing agents don't bother adding so that they can get the home on the market as quickly as possible. I know it's a pain but I found it best to look at all the listings the looked remotely interesting and read the descriptions as they had many of those missing details in them.

Good luck finding a home. It's a tough job!

KPH
August 15th, 2018, 11:12 PM
When we moved to FL to be nearer DS#1 and family, he gave us 1 zip code area to find a house in. This was to be convenient for him! Truly we are within 20 minutes of their house and in the middle of our houses is Nana and Nandy's house. So it is very convenient for the grandchildren, anyway.

I hope you find your dream house! That it's convenient to a couple of quilt stores, a grocery store, and doctors and dentists. lol, those things you don't think about when you're looking at floor plans and back yards.

jjkaiser
August 15th, 2018, 11:13 PM
Oh I wish you luck! The not being able to decide on a destination would drive me batty!

grammaterry
August 15th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Thanks! We are members of the SECU so I'll go by tomorrow & see if they can tell me anything. I'll let you know what I find out.
The address is on Big Creek Rd in Marshall, NC. Of course, it is 25 miles from the actual town of Marshall.

Claire Hallman
August 16th, 2018, 11:12 AM
I have to add my second favorite state to your consideration. If we were to move from here I would probably choose Tennessee. The far eastern part of the state is gorgeous and I think there is no personal income tax.

Navy Wife
August 16th, 2018, 12:00 PM
You are right about east Tennessee, Claire. We live in a small town next to the Smoky mountains. Knoxville is just a short drive away for major shopping and entertainment. Weather is good, just an occasional snow with plenty of warning. No income tax, but a hefty sales tax. The state is in good fiscal shape. I know where Pelham is. My kids all went to Auburn!

Come on over and visit Maryville. You'll love it, and we have our own quilt shop plus 2 more in Sevierville, and several in Knoxville.

Carolnnc
August 16th, 2018, 02:55 PM
You are right about east Tennessee, Claire. We live in a small town next to the Smoky mountains. Knoxville is just a short drive away for major shopping and entertainment. Weather is good, just an occasional snow with plenty of warning. No income tax, but a hefty sales tax. The state is in good fiscal shape. I know where Pelham is. My kids all went to Auburn!

Come on over and visit Maryville. You'll love it, and we have our own quilt shop plus 2 more in Sevierville, and several in Knoxville.

I've been looking over your way & it's beautiful there. I think the one hold back is DH isn't sure he wants to go that far away from his mom. His brother passed several years ago & his half brother is on the outs with mom with no chance of it working itself out.
If it were up to me I'd pick 1. Tenn or 2. Ga.

JCY
August 16th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Lots to see & do in E. Tenn. My SIL & niece live in Sevierville. Close to Dollywood & many activities. Not far to Gatlinburg, the Smokey Mountains, etc. One hour to Knoxville. I hope you find the house of your dreams.