PDA

View Full Version : D4 Drought in Hamilton - update on the severe conditions

Simply Quilting
August 9th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Please pray that there can be rainfall in Hamilton and the other areas that are facing this drought.

City of Hamilton just posted:

Hamilton and parts of Caldwell County have been upgraded to a D4 area on the US Drought monitor. According to the text on the Drought monitor page, "This encompasses an area of extremely low 2- to 6-month rainfall (half-year deficits generally exceed ten inches). City Reservoir (serving Hamilton, MO and nearby areas) lake level has been dropping about two inches per week, and is now 70 inches below the spillway and just 26 inches above the intake pipe. If the trend continues, water would drop below pipe level in three months. This would mandate unprecedented water restrictions, including the closure of non-essential businesses."

With Hamilton being upgraded to D4, the city is asking all residents to continue to conserve our water supply. During the summer months, the City's average consumption is approximately 250,000 gallons per day.

We are currently getting 100,000 gallons of water per day from Lock Springs, which was our emergency connection that was made during the last drought. This connection is at maximum capacity. The rest of our water is produced with water from the reservoir.

The city has a plan in place once the water is below the first intake and we are also looking at other emergency connection options and have applied for grants and loans through Missouri Department of Natural Resources to help with the funding of these connections. The City will also be amending our current CDBG grant to assist with funding depending on which option is chosen and the cost of the option.

While this drought continues and the ground shifts due to the lack of moisture, the City is seeing more and more water line breaks.

Patsquilting
August 9th, 2018, 04:35 PM
It is hard to understand how some areas get so much and other areas none. Hope your area gets the much needed rain soon.

KPH
August 9th, 2018, 05:12 PM
I'd gladly share, we've had so much rain this summer.

Lifting prayers for heavenly blessings.

Monique
August 9th, 2018, 06:11 PM
We were near drought around here too.

grammaterry
August 9th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I remember living in Ogden Utah and being on water restrictions in the late 70's. It was hard but doable. The sad part is that even if people are monetarily punished some will abuse it because they have plenty of money

SuzanneOrleansOntario
August 9th, 2018, 11:22 PM
I remember that they were talking about needing rain when I was there a few weeks ago. Things are certainly dry and hot.

I hope things improve.

Navy Wife
August 9th, 2018, 11:32 PM
I can really sympathize with you. We had that same kind of drought 2 summers ago. It was awful! We have too much now, and wish we could share.

Star lover
August 10th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Scary! We're in a drought, but not like yours. Hope you get lots......and soon!

Bubby
August 10th, 2018, 09:41 AM
We experienced droughts like this when we lived in Las Vegas. Water was seriously rationed and monitored. It was a miserable necessity. I will pray for the drought in Caldwell County. We are extremely dry but not as bad as you are having it.