PDA

View Full Version : Finally decided on a replacement TV

JCY
August 4th, 2018, 10:46 PM
Oh, the research I've done over the past week or so! I'm weary of reading reviews, Q & A's, ratings, specs., etc. I've e-m'd & talked with my tech. friend from church who will do the set up & who has loaned us a 19" until we could get a new one. I finally decided on a 32" Toshiba LED HDTV -- not a "Smart" TV. I don't need that. He suggested I probably also need a newer DVD player, so now I'm researching those. I think I found one that will work; it's from Amazon. With all this research, I sure haven't done much sewing this week. It may be several days before we can get the new one hooked up. My tech. friend is going out of town on a work-related trip this week. One of these days we'll have everything organized. In the mean time we have this little 19" flat screen that's working fine & DH can hear it ok. (He's soooo hard of hearing!) He has no interest in getting hearing aids.

Mimi_Howard
August 4th, 2018, 11:51 PM
A tech had told my daughter (when her and hubby were looking for new tv) that the smart tv's don't get any smarter once you buy them. They don't get upgrades. True or not, I don't know, but they bought a lesser $ tv and use a roku box for its brains. My father's hearing is getting worse too and I think this Christmas Santa may bring him some wireless headphones for his tv to use at night. Man oh man I can hear it from any room in the house.

GuitarGramma
August 5th, 2018, 03:52 AM
Congratulations on getting a new TV. You're very patient to wait to set it up. I think you'll be happy when your new one is up and running.

grammaterry
August 5th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Oh you are patient. I jokingly say to DH that if anything ever happens to him I will be tech less because I cannot hardly even turn on the tv. Maybe there just isn't any desire. lol

MRoy
August 5th, 2018, 07:57 AM
Congrats on the new TV. We have a 32" flat screen and it's a good size for our not so big room. My DH also had hearing loss (too many years around loud machinery) but, according to him, it's because I mumble. He also won't consider hearing aids so our TV gets turned up way too high for me when he's watching.

Monique
August 5th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Congratulations. We have a 42 in the living room and a smaller one in our bedroom.

JulieC
August 5th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Congratulations! Mom has a 32" flat screen, she only watches the evening news. She also has hearing issues. At one point, she and my sister were using an old-fashioned 13" TV. I don't know how Mom read the closed captioning. Dad had hearing loss and could not hear the TV unless he used his headphones. He had a nice, big, clunky 27" TV, which Mom got rid of after he passed away.

I am happy with my 40" flat screen, but even that is considered small by today's standards!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
August 5th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Congrats on finding the right TV for your needs. We have to shop for a 'dumb' TV for FIL. They are not easy to find. Basically need an on/off button, volume & channel. Not easy to find, but I will leave that to others to find.