PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Max Factor

Star lover
August 1st, 2018, 06:49 AM
Max Factor is considered the "father" of movie makeup; in fact, some people maintain that he made the noun "makeup" part of our vocabulary.

A beautician and wigmaker ( his given name was : Maksymilian Faktorowiczto) the Russian royal family before immigrating to the United States in 1904, he formulated makeup in numerous skin tone shades that made actors and actresses look natural on-screen. Performers liked it so much they took it home with them from the set.

So Max Factor started making cosmetics for everyday use, and a company was born.

Hulamoon
August 1st, 2018, 07:12 AM
My grandfather on my moms side worked for Max Factor mostly in perfumes I think. I have several beautiful bottles from my grandmother that my mom let me have. I never met him because he passed right before I was born. :(

Bubby
August 1st, 2018, 07:53 AM
When I was young Max Factor was "the" brand of makeup to have, followed by Revlon. My Mom wore MF pancake makeup and I would experiment with it when she wasn't home.

Thanks for the memory, Anita.

grammaterry
August 1st, 2018, 09:26 AM
My mom wore pancake make up by mf too. That's the reason I never wore makeup. I put it on one day and went to school (8th grade) and my friends thought me beautiful. However, my homeroom (male) teacher and the home economics teacher (female) called me to a meeting and told me that I was too pretty to cover up with that garish look and shuld wait until I was older to try makeup. Do you think I'm old enough now?

MissMay
August 1st, 2018, 10:01 AM
I wore Max Factor pancake makeup back in the mid-century. Only thing I didn't like about it was thast it was applied with a damp sponge which often got a musty order. The makeup later came in a stick form which eliminated the sponge. I think it still is available.

SallyO'Sews
August 1st, 2018, 12:21 PM
My mom wore pancake make up by mf too. That's the reason I never wore makeup. I put it on one day and went to school (8th grade) and my friends thought me beautiful. However, my homeroom (male) teacher and the home economics teacher (female) called me to a meeting and told me that I was too pretty to cover up with that garish look and shuld wait until I was older to try makeup. Do you think I'm old enough now?

Terry, it's not about whether you're old enough; you are beautiful inside and out!

GuitarGramma
August 1st, 2018, 01:05 PM
What fun to learn about the start of makeup for "the rest of us." Love hearing about the perfume bottles, Lorie. And I sure wish I could get away without makeup, Terry! Good on you!

JCY
August 1st, 2018, 04:07 PM
These days I don't use make-up. Just wear lipstick when I leave the house to go somewhere. The eye make-up really irritated my eyes. I get compliments on my facial skin; I have very few wrinkles for my age. All I use is Ivory bar soap & warm water for cleaning my skin.

GuitarGramma
August 1st, 2018, 05:11 PM
I don't wear makeup around the house, but anything more than a grocery run gets me to put some on. I have the misfortune of having oily skin and suffered from a lot of break outs. When I was young, folks would say, "At least you'll never get wrinkles." They were wrong; I now get pimples ON my wrinkles! And as I've aged, the acne scars now droop along with those wrinkles.

I think that makes Max Factor my hero!

Bubby
August 2nd, 2018, 08:00 AM
I wear very little makeup other than lip gloss since I retired. My DD (the esthetician) keeps me on my toes as far as a daily skin care program. She brought me a luxurious, yet affordable, skin care program (Saranghae) when she visited us in May and I hope to be able to continue with it indefinitely.