PDA

View Full Version : Saturday hellos

Monique
July 28th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Good morning friends. I thought I would post this morning seeing as I missed yesterdays. We had a terrible storm blow through here on Thursday evening which knocked out the power. It was out all night and hadn't been restored by the time I had to leave for work.

Thursday night we met friends at the Raceway. We had a lovely dinner, I played the slots and won a little. On our way home I could see debris along the roadway and knew something had happened. We met a couple of trucks closer to home, cleaning debris off the road. Now, this road is a gravel road through the bush. I knew by the time we got home we wouldn't have power. Another storm blew through at work in the afternoon. Heavy heavy rain, couldn't see across the parking lot.

Well I have finished work for a while. Tomorrow we are headed to camp, no electricity, no phones, just quiet. So you won't see me back for a while. The couple we are going with are coming over this morning to go over the 'list' of foods we are taking with us. He is OCD and drives me nuts at times. We are probably going to make a trip to Walmart later today and get the last minute things.

My quilt that I have been working on is coming along. Not quite done, but getting there.

Have a great day my friends. Stay safe.

Cathy F
July 28th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Morning all,
Monique hope you have a restful time at camp!

We had a thunderstorm last night that left the garden well watered. I saw on the late news last night that where my daughter lives had quite a bit of flooding and uprooted trees. I'll call her this morning and see how they are.

Today I want to spend a bit of time in the sewing room. My table runner was put on hold for another project and it's so close to being finished, hopefully today will be the day it gets done.

Looks like it will be nice day as the sun is starting to come out. Hopefully a bit cooler today. The tomatoes in the garden are abundant this year so I've been looking for new recipes to use then. Tonight I'm going to try a recipe for a tomato tart which sounds very good with a puff pastry.

Well, it's early but I'm heading for some coffee and take advantage of the quiet and enjoy watching the birds at the feeders. Yesterday my husband told me there was a golden Finch back at the feeder I have not seen him yet this year, such a pretty bird.

Wishing everyone a good weekend!

shermur
July 28th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Morning! Monique - camping, you're a brave woman! Cathy - here in Rutland, VT we have had plenty of rain this week! I am waiting for the produce in our garden!

5th day at the new job! I am still getting accustomed to being on my feet....I broke down and bought 2 pairs of better shoes yesterday! I hope they help.

I am going to try and work on my Oda May Summer Camp project this morning before I go into work. The last couple of rounds have been taking longer.....154081

I hope everyone has a great weekend....I will be working at the fabric store!

JCY
July 28th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Good Morning ~ I sure notice a difference in the daylight hours now that we're > a mo. past the summer solstice. It was dark when I got up! Don't like that. The sky looks sort of murky this a.m. Yest. the skies were hazy. The full moon came up last night looking sort of pinkish orange. I think there still must be bad air from the western wildfires. The weatherman announced yest. poor air quality for sensitive people. Everything west of us moves towards the east. When Mt. St. Helens erupted, we had hazy skies & ash dustings on the plants.

There were 15 of us for Lady Bugs lunch yest. I had the lunch special which was cheaper & just as good. I did not look for a TV. Instead I went to Walmart & bought a new market umbrella for the picnic table. Yest. the cranking mechanism went kaput. The store had only black umbrellas except for one blue & white striped one, which I bought. I took it out of the pkg., assembled it & tried it out right there at the store to make sure it worked ok. And...it was on sale for $15.! What a bargain. I think I paid $29. for the last one.

I made it to the sewing room yest. eve. I cut fabric & laid out 2 blocks for the Kings Crown pattern. I'll make a couple sample blocks to see how I like this combo of fabrics.

A friend from church has offered to come look at our TV. Everyone's consensus so far seems to be just buy a new flat screen TV, which is probably what I'll do.

Time for DH's breakfast. No more time now.

Cathy F
July 28th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Morning! Monique - camping, you're a brave woman! Cathy - here in Rutland, VT we have had plenty of rain this week! I am waiting for the produce in our garden!

5th day at the new job! I am still getting accustomed to being on my feet....I broke down and bought 2 pairs of better shoes yesterday! I hope they help.

I am going to try and work on my Oda May Summer Camp project this morning before I go into work. The last couple of rounds have been taking longer.....154081

I hope everyone has a great weekend....I will be working at the fabric store!

Love the quilt!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
July 28th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Good morning ladies,
I've been texting, emailing and talking to my DH. He said it's been raining and t-storming pretty much since I have been gone. The weather was perfect when I was Missouri. Hamilton missed the storms that hit Kansas City, an hour away.

There is so much to talk about my first few days here, I may do a separate thread and post pictures. I am grateful.

I arrived after lunch in Wichita, and meet DH's niece at nursing home. Signed papers and saw his new space. Then we went to DH's family home. It is bad, even worst than 7 years ago. His situation and need for care probably should have happen 3-4 years ago. He is very confused. I introduce myself and didn't expect him to remember me, but he didn't know he had a son. I mentioned he was in Canada. He sid he knew people in Canada.

I wish I could twitch my nose like Bewitched and everything in the house, yard, garage would be gone. I may start calling those dumpster companies. I realize his niece don't have standards and hoarders themselves. Her husband was supposed to help move small furniture today, and all of sudden ,their bathroom that has been stripped down bare, needs to be done today. I am pissed. If I had known I would have bought new furniture moved to the home and just brought his clothes. I wish there was someone in need that would show up and take away what they need. I will pray and invoke my mom's Favorite saints for assistance, guidance and strength.

On a good note, I am in a gorgeous hotel with a fabulous view of the city, and it's like I remember it. I still haven't had my crab cakes, but I have researched restaurants where I can get it.

Monique, stay dry and warm. Brave for you to camp with OCD person. My ex was OCD and when we would rent cottages with friends, they were all ready to kill him by the end of the week. Many of my friends could not stand his increasing obsessions. After 30 years, I had finally had enough and they figured I needed a medal. It was more about the vows, for better for worse, but it got worser.

I thank God for my current husband. He is truly appreciative of all I am doing for his dad now. He & I know that he would be lost. He is also very sensitive person and would be very upset and sad. I am hoping to get things accomplished, but quite realistic that I only have Sun-Tues to do work.

154083. His dad's new home. It is beautiful - he has never lived in luxur, so some of his favorite chairs and furniture, pictures will be in his room, for familiarity. Each floor is secure, with a theme. This is the entrance to his floor - country cottage decor. 154084. We also saw the other floor, which is like 60s decor, Brady Bunch style, then the other floor is historic Hispanic style.

Have a good day, stay dry, stay safe and be happy with where you are.

JulieC
July 28th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

Monique -- have a wonderful time at camp! Sherri -- congrats on the new job, I hope it goes well for you!

It is supposed to be cooler -- mid-70's -- and dry today. The backyard will still be too wet to mow, we had a couple of heavy downpours on Thursday. I should be able to work in the front yard, and maybe do some weed whacking if I remember where I put the charger.

We have an appointment with Home Instead on Tuesday, to see about having someone take care of Mom a couple days a week and give my sister a break. I'm hoping it goes well, Mom thinks she is fine and does not need any help.

Wishing everyone a happy weekend!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
July 28th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

Monique -- have a wonderful time at camp! Sherri -- congrats on the new job, I hope it goes well for you!

It is supposed to be cooler -- mid-70's -- and dry today. The backyard will still be too wet to mow, we had a couple of heavy downpours on Thursday. I should be able to work in the front yard, and maybe do some weed whacking if I remember where I put the charger.

We have an appointment with Home Instead on Tuesday, to see about having someone take care of Mom a couple days a week and give my sister a break. I'm hoping it goes well, Mom thinks she is fine and does not need any help.

Wishing everyone a happy weekend!

You are lucky that your sister is taking good care of your mom and it's good that you are seeking outside help.

I wish we had known how bad the situation was with DH's dad. I guess those taking care of him, couldn't take care of themselves.

KPH
July 28th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Good Morning All,

Monique have a great time at camp. There for many years, our summer vacation was spent at Camp Bud Shiele with a bunch of teenage boys! One thing's for sure, it wasn't quiet unless the boys were in classes. Sadly, the powers that be always made it on our anniversary week. That part got old... what are you doing for your anniversary.... going to Boy Scout Summer Camp.

Yesterday, Mike was stir crazy. We went out and he bought shorts, went to lunch and then Michael's. During the heat of the day we went back home. Around 4 he was ready to go again. So a trip to the thrift stores close to the house. I'm still searching for a vase to replace the one that Jonathan broke before our trip to IN. We went to three stores, watching the rain get closer and closer so we decided to go home. It's a good thing we did. It poured for a while. Then after the sun went down, it stormed. What a lightning show we had. It finally calmed down around 11.

Morgan's feeling better. Jim's preaching tomorrow. Jerrod is home and will be having blood work done pretty consistently for a while. Hopefully in 6 weeks, he'll be able to be corn starch free! Tomorrow is 5th Sunday at church, so there's a covered dish. I've figured out three dishes I'll take- Watergate Salad or as the kids' called it Green Stuff, Corn Salad and Copper Pennies. Mike will probably want to make tea to take.

I have some more lagoon triangles to sew together today. Hopefully, depending on how stir crazy Mike is.

Joy, whose King's Crown are you going to do? If you're doing Jenny's, I'd lay the block out and sew it in columns not cutting them apart. There's less chance of turning getting a block turned around. I think Angela W. called it 'webbing' on the last tutorial she did. Donna Jordan does uses that method, too. But, you'd probably figured that all out already!

Have a wonderful day. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings, especially rain where it's been so desperately needed, travel mercies, and healing. Prayers for those in need for strength, healing, wisdom and hope.

Carolnnc
July 28th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Good morning. The dog & I are sitting on the deck watching three robins splash in the birdbath. It's nice to sit here, eat breakfast & relax before my day gets started. It's 79 degrees but there's a cool breeze due to all the trees.

For the last eight years our neighbor has been in Maryland due to his job so we keep an eye on his house. Over the past three months the alarm has gone off three times but with no sign of anyone trying to get in. The last time, a couple of weeks ago, I called & told him his system is probably giving false alarms & he needed to come home to check his security cameras. He had not set up the cameras after the guy installed them a year ago!!!!! I helped him get the set up done & he headed back to MD. I now realize he didn't have the alarm company come out & check the system. So his alarm goes off this morning at 4:30, 5:15 & 6:00. Because we sleep with a huge fan in the corner of our bedroom I didn't hear the first two calls from the alarm company. When I walked over to talk the to policeman at 6:30 he was one grumpy guy since it was his third time coming out. So I called the number in MD (no answer) & called the cell phone # (not taking calls). At this point I'm rather grumpy myself so I sent him a rather short, terse email. At this point the alarm is off which I'm not comfortable with. His house has been the target of several break-ins and several attempted break-ins since you can tell he's never home. I guess I'll just re-set it this evening & hope the dang thing doesn't go off again tonight.

I picked up a kit for a Christmas kit at the LQS yesterday & I am really excited about putting it together. I've only tried one kit before & it's my favorite quilt. I struggle with picking out fabrics so I'm thinking more kits may be in my future.

Well it's either play with the dog & put him out by the street with a free sign!

Have a great day!

Mimi_Howard
July 28th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Good Morning All. On the agenda today is the "salsa festival" if my father feels up to going. He loves his salsa. My son may be our driver since parking is horrible and father has issues with walking. He can let us off as close as possible and then go park. Our tomatoes are not doing so well this year, this on/off heat is not their friend. So far the green ones seem to be drawing attention of little critters eating at their bottoms. From first day of planting I have been looking forward to fried green tomatoes!

grammaterry
July 28th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I chanced buying another kit from M* last week. I thought it would make a great winter project. Listen to me, already worrying about what to do this winter.
THe spider bite is a big target this morning. Itches like crazy. Went on line and looked to see if I needed medical help but it looked like I just need to use common sense and watch for infection. I didn't see the spider so can't identify it but I am certain it wasn't anything big or I would have seen or felt it when it got on my arm.
I have been trying to design a quilt around a big orphan block and dreampt about it most of last night. I think I'll take it off the design wall and go with something much simpler. Maybe just some borders.
Today is suppose to be good weatherwise and then Mon-Tues rain. Hopefully some of this rain will reach you folks in the Midwest.

JCY
July 28th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Terry ~ DH got bit by a spider several yrs. ago. At least we assumed that's what it was. It must have happened when he was sleeping. The bit was on his lower leg. It was very painful, with leg swelling. I took him to the dr. He was on an antibiotic for several days. His leg looked so bad the dr. was ready to put him in the hosp. if it didn't start getting better soon. Fortunately he was able to stay home. He wore his pj's around the house for several days, kept his leg elevated on pillows. I think we used moist hot packs, too. I've taken care of patients in the hosp. who have been bitten by spiders. The bites often were done by brown recluse spiders. Take good care of your bite & monitor it closely.

Katrina ~ I've watched Donna Jordan's tutorial on the King's Crown pattern twice. Jordan's did not have a PDF of the pattern, but I found one on the web. This one makes a 12" block which is the size I wanted. I have a block A & block B laid out. I'm still thinking about color placement, etc. The fabrics are purple/lavender & lime greens. The greens are bright!

Cloudy & only 65 this a.m. It would be a good weather day to work in the yard, but I'm not motivated yet. Maybe later in the day.

I'm hungry. Time to eat breakfast.

Ginny B
July 28th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Good morning everyone. Well, it's official, I am retired. Can't believe I won't be going to work on Monday. Of course, I keep thinking about things I didn't get to do or forgot to tell someone. I guess I'll either make a few phone calls or send some emails.
They had a wonderful party for me on Thursday and so I didn't get much work done. Therefore yesterday was a whirlwind of finishing things up. Dh took me out to dinner to celebrate. Luckily we got home before the tstorms that hit. Boy they were loud.

I guess the week really tired me out because I slept almost 12 hours!!! Didn't wake up until 9:30. :icon_exclaim: . Today we have a birthday party for yet another 1 year old on dh's side of the family. I think this is the last one for a while.

Time to go see what dh is up to. I hope everyone has a good day.

chelea
July 28th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Good morning everyone.

The storms you've all been reporting have been gradually making their way to us. It's so nice to get regular showers to keep the grass and gardens happy. We've got lots of cherry tomatoes, basil and summer squash coming...so much that we need to start giving it away. In my flower garden I've still got pink roses, white hydrangea, huge white casablanca lilies, purple vintex (which looks like a butterfly bush) and the little butterfly bushes have just started to bloom. I saw a couple of monarch butterflies yesterday and the past 2 nights we were visited by a hummingbird on our back deck! Haven't seen one of these for years. I'm still working on my shade garden with some new hosta ready to plant.

The moon was so gorgeous last night, a big orange ball in the sky when it first came up. Hubs said it was called the Blood Moon.

Sherri, your quilt is beautiful. It has an antique look to it. Good luck with your new job...so cool that it's in a fabric store!

Ginny, congrats on retirement! I know the feeling of things left undone, and the mad dash the last few days. I retired a year and a half ago. At first it felt like vacation...then the reality set in that I didn't ever have to go back!

Yesterday I got the binding sewn onto the front of the birthday girl's quilt. Today I'll be hand sewing it to the back, hopefully it won't be too hot to sit and sew on the deck. I also made a little progress on the 30's blocks having finished up the Blockhead pineapple from Jan Patek. I love to hand sew but needle-turn appliqué isn't something I've done before, so the pineapple wasn't looking so good. I ended up doing it with fusible and a machine buttonhole stitch. I'm looking forward to more Blockheads appliqué blocks as the months progress. Talking about kits, I ordered one from Jan Patek, just a skinny wall hanging with one flower and a star, just to see if I can learn to needle-turn.
Have a good day everyone...hope you find time to sew.

JCY
July 28th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Ginny ~ Congratulations on your retirement! You won't miss work. You'll keep so busy you'll wonder how you used to have time to work! Enjoy your retirement. I hope you find lots of time to enjoy quilting.

Simply Quilting
July 28th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Good Morning! I went to take the children to the pool yesterday and it said closed due to mechanical issues. This morning on fb they posted that they will be closed the rest of the season. I am hoping that they issue refunds on season passes but I am not holding my breath that they will. So now new game plan for what we will be doing for our afternoons.

Ginny, congratulations on retirement. Watch out or you will be busier than when you were working.

Monique, enjoy the cabin and time away.

Suzanne, your f-i-l new place looks very nice. I wish more and more places would fix up the places to make it feel more homey. One place that I have seen on the internet, each person had their little own home entrance complete with front porch and rocking chairs, the hallways were fixed to mimic the outside with daylight and nighttime - complete with stars. They also had a room that was fixed exactly like a 1940s house which helped people with their mental state because it was like going back in time.

We had a little rain this morning but sure could use a lot more gentle rain. We have trees dying and our grass has not been mowed in weeks.

Not sure which sewing project I will work on today.

Have a great weekend everyone :)

SuzanneOrleansOntario
July 29th, 2018, 10:00 AM
I chanced buying another kit from M* last week. I thought it would make a great winter project. Listen to me, already worrying about what to do this winter.
THe spider bite is a big target this morning. Itches like crazy. Went on line and looked to see if I needed medical help but it looked like I just need to use common sense and watch for infection. I didn't see the spider so can't identify it but I am certain it wasn't anything big or I would have seen or felt it when it got on my arm.
I have been trying to design a quilt around a big orphan block and dreampt about it most of last night. I think I'll take it off the design wall and go with something much simpler. Maybe just some borders.
Today is suppose to be good weatherwise and then Mon-Tues rain. Hopefully some of this rain will reach you folks in the Midwest.

Please get your spider bite checked out. We have brown spiders here that can have devastating health effects.