PDA

View Full Version : HOT HOT Monday hellos

Monique
July 2nd, 2018, 08:15 AM
It is so hot I think I may have melted a little. Broke records yesterday, with the humidex it was 47C in Ottawa. That is 116.6F. How many ways can I say HOT!! Today it is supposed to be cooler, only 33C, 91.4F, 40C or 104F with the humidex. I am still melting. And no, no air conditioning.

We met Phil half way on Friday and picked Maizyn up. She was surprised as he hadn't told her where they were going. We had a big day yesterday. We attended the Canada Day breakfast put on by the Lions Club and then the flea market. Came home for a while. Headed back down well before the parade and spent time in my sister-in-law's pool. WELL, Maizyn doesn't swim, so she held on to me for dear life. My other sister-in-law had an extra pair of floaties so we put those on her and then gave her a noodle, which held her up quite nicely. Yeah, she wasn't hanging on to me anymore. She even got brave enough to jump off the ladder by herself. She went under a couple of times, but she had FUN!! So today we are going back for more swimming. This time I shall put sunscreen on my face as my nose got burned yesterday.

We will take Maizyn back tomorrow afternoon sometime. Again, we will meet Phil half way.

Greg & Ashley are currently in Calgary and making their way East. They should be in Ottawa by Saturday.

Wishing you all a fantastic day. STAY COOL if you can.

grammaterry
July 2nd, 2018, 08:34 AM
Oh yes its hot, however, I am so glad. In case you missed my daily post yesterday because I didn't post until 10pm, the grands are here for Camp Gramma. 10 of them and boy are there a lot of them. ha ha. They swim in the pool, they hike, they go to the field for frisbee, ball and bocci ball. They played cards on the porch last night. DH built a 16x16 two story cabin ten years ago with a 16x16 covered porch and it is wonderful for all these teenagers. They told me last night they are coming to camp gramma as long as they live at home , even when they go to college. Wouldn't that be wonderful.
The food consumption is amazing. I have no idea if I will have enough to last three more days. I made 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce yesterday and its gone in one meal. 4 lbs of deli meat for lunch yesterday. Whew!! Get out the peanut butter.!!
I thought maybe the girls and I would sew but no chance we'll get to that. Too much fun!!
I'm up at 6 making bacon . Kids are up by nine. Oh yes, and they love the outhouse grampa built them.
Hope your week is as fulfilling as mine is. I'm going to be exhausted but its a good feeling. beats boredom anyday.

KarenC
July 2nd, 2018, 09:30 AM
Well it sounds like a busy week so far. Today I am on tap for babysitting. DGD is 10 mos. now. She is really cruising and taking maybe 10 steps on her own at a time. Need to keep eyes on her always. After thst, I really need to go shopping for some new bras. It is time to toss some of the old ones. It is hot here in TX, but not as hot as Monique has, and at least I do have AC. Need to go, so have a great day. Monique and Terry, enjoy the grands!

Bubby
July 2nd, 2018, 09:42 AM
Good Morning Everyone....Except for potty breaks for the Girls and an occasional dip in their pool, we will be staying indoors today. I don't think our A/C has stopped once all weekend. Jeff has a training class today so at least he will be indoors out of the heat. I have to make a flying trip to the bank this morning but that's all I will do.

I sewed four short seams this weekend and that was it. The sewing room is off limits to the pups until they grow up some, so for now it's Dottie's sanctuary.

I wish I could post a video of the Girls diving into their pool but the file is too big. Any suggestions would be welcome. The video is on an android phone. I have a cute one of Maggie howling, too.

Monique, enjoy the rest of your time with Maizyn!

Have a great day Friends.

Carlie Wolf
July 2nd, 2018, 09:46 AM
It's been bad here too. Yesterday it was 94 with the index at 100. I guess this will go on till the weekend. I've faired well though. The attic fan stays on through the night till around 11AM. I have two other fans going upstairs. Then from about 3 till 8 I put on the a/c in my upstairs room. Anything that needs to get done, like cooking gets done by 11AM.

I finished off one of the shirts this weekend and the girl is coming to pick it up today.

My lawnmower guy still hasn't come and has not replied to my messages. If he doesn't come by the 4th of July I'd say he's a gonner. I'm thinking of purchasing a mechanical rotary mower. My yard is small and the backyard grows twice as fast as the front and sides. I'm thinking maybe I can do the mowing myself now that my hip is fine. I'm 99% sure that my mower fees will be twice as much without the current guy, say $30 a pop. What I'm envisioning is having a guy come every other week to do the whole thing (since the front yard is pretty much ok for two weeks) and I'll hand mow the backyard on the opposite weeks. Am I crazy to try this at 70?? I'll probably have to pay extra the first time since it's gotten so tall in some areas. Do you think I'd be wasting my money getting a rotary one. I can get one for around $89 and have it by Friday.

I had a nice thing happen. I got an email from a guy I knew back in '66. There was a group of us that hung out together that year and he gave me an update on some of them. It's funny because the night before I had a dream about the group getting together all congratulating each other that we made it through life with all it's ups and downs :-)

MissMay
July 2nd, 2018, 10:36 AM
To tell you the truth we haven't been outdoors the past few HOT HOT days. DH picked up a few groceries and a RX on Saturday and the rest of the time we've been doing stuff inside with the AC running. Surprising that DH turned the AC on himself as I usually have to carry on a bit to get it running but he has been feeling the heat.

Terry, your grandkids must be having a wonderful time, hope the food doesn't run out,.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
July 2nd, 2018, 11:00 AM
Good morning ladies,

Well like Monique said, it is hot, hot, hot. We went out yesterday to pick up Rx for DH and found out that. All the stores were open on Canada Day. I have never seen this before, except in the downtown because of tourists. Apparently everything is closed today. We didn't go far as you start dripping after a brief time outdoors. A friend and neighbours came over for sangria and snacks, and just walking over, they almost melted. You can tell the neighbours who have pools by the cars lined up in driveways and street. You didn't hear much noise, so we figure they spent time indoors. There were fireworks in the park behind our place, but I was just not in a mood to go outdoors. I don't take heat well.

Terry - I cannot imagine having 10 grandkids over at one time. You are a saint. Have fun enjoying the brood. These are great memories for the grandkids, and I am certain they love getting together with their cousins.
Monique - enjoy your visit with Maizyn.
Carlie - not sure if you want to be cutting grass. You know your strengths. When DH cracked rib a few weeks ago, I cut the grass with the new electric lawn over he had just bought. It is self propelled, which really helped. I have cut the grass years ago with our manual push mower. I was in better shape and it was a good workout. If I did it now, I would be moaning with sore back. Not for me now. But electric mower, it's a charm, but I won't tell DH as I don't want to take this chore on once he is better.

I finished hand sewing the binding on Victoria quilt #2 of 4. That's 2 quilted this week. 2 more to go. I am pleased how the quilting went on the on point blocks. I used mostly rulers. I have another top with that pattern. Today I will head to the sewing room as it's cooler, and we don't have much on the agenda. I may pick up my mom's laundry and my DD asked me to water their veggie garden while they are away.

153598 153599
153600 153601

Stay cool and safe and enjoy the start of the new week and month.

chelea
July 2nd, 2018, 11:52 AM
We set the record here yesterday at 98, and with the high humidity it was really sticky. Hubs finished the pool stairs and we spent the afternoon floating. Simple shrimp on the barbie for dinner and a trip to the ice cream stand (I had a craving for strawberry) and that was our day. He finally got the window air conditioners installed last night as I was getting cranky and complaining.
When we lived on an Army post many years ago we had a whole house fan, something that was new to me. One of the Army wives who had lived in the south gave me some tips on how she kept her house cool with no AC and I've followed this ever since with some success.
In the morning, close all the windows and shades on the side of the house where the sun is hitting. Open all the other windows/shades that are in the shade. As the sun passes over the house, do the opposite. After the sun sets and it's cooler outside than inside, open all your windows and turn on the whole house fan to suck out the hot air. We keep it going until around 6-7am, when it's time to start closing the windows. You'd be surprised how well this works.
I started cutting out a baby quilt yesterday. I found some Tula Pink and some Elizabeth Hartman on my shelf that works well together and I'm going to make a disappearing 9 patch. I'll just need to make a trip to the LQS for backing as I won't have time to order from MSQC. I wish they could get the shipping thing figured out.
Time to get going...hope everyone stays cool today.

JCY
July 2nd, 2018, 11:58 AM
Good Morning ~ I'm late getting here. Didn't have enough time at 6 a.m. when I pop in for a few min. It promises to be another hot one here, too. Yest. it was supposed to be in the 80's. Not! At our house we had 94. We're usually hotter than the official reading. The 2nd load of laundry is in the dryer. It will be done in a few min., after which I'm headed out to do yard work. Mostly trimming back the perennials which are past prime bloom & lopping over other plants. That way I can get the clippings in the toter before the garbage truck comes by today. I should have at least a couple hrs. before it comes.

I sewed only ~45 min. yest. I'm sewing the binding on a 16" square mini quilt. It was a practice block from the Bordered 9-P which looked good enough to add a border & binding for a mini. As I have time, I'm making 4.5" 4-patches for a border for that Bloom panel I bought from M* recently. I discovered some teal fossil fern in my stash which will work great for the backing.

Speaking of fossil fern -- does anyone ever buy fabric from Amazon? I was browsing a couple days ago & ran across a pkt. of 100 charms of asst'd colors of fossil fern, so I ordered it. I want to make another charms on point quilt. That one went together so easily & I liked how it turned out.

The wildfires in Colo. are bad. I think there are at least 8. That 416 fire near Durango still is burning; it started June 1. A new Spring fire in SE Colo. is new in the past week. It was arson; the guy has been arrested. So sad. Our firefighters are spread so thin. And with all our hot weather, winds, & drought, it's bad.

DH & I have seen that baby rabbit in the yard several times. It's so cute!

Carlie, if you feel up to mowing, go for it. We have a riding mower (large yard); I kept up our yard pretty much all by myself up until 6 yrs. ago. This will be season 6 that we've had a lawn service. We pay $45./wk. for mowing. I'll be 76 later this mo. Once DH's health worsened & I had to do more for him, I just couldn't do it all. In 2012, he fell & broke his upper arm in 4 places. The next year, he had pneumonia with a long recovery. Now I'm not doing a very good job of keeping up with the flower beds. I used to pride myself on having a meticulous yard, but sometimes, you just have to be satisfied with less than perfect. The yard used to be my hobby, but since I have quilting, I'd really rather be doing that.

Well, the timer went off, so it's time to empty the dryer & head outdoors. I hope everyone can find a cool spot to endure the heat.

Carlie Wolf
July 2nd, 2018, 12:29 PM
I think I might give it a try then JCY. From what I'm reading those mowers are more lightweight and the wheels turn easier now then they did back when we were kids. I would think that area wouldn't take me more then a half hour even going slow. If I watch my posture maybe it will actually be good for me. I did hear from the guy after I wrote here and he "says" he coming today. That will get it short and then I can start doing the backyard only next week and I won't care if he misses a week (as much). I often prepaid him a week and I'm going to stop doing that too.

I just found out my sister fell last week and broke her hip and elbow :-( I hate seeing that happen with aging. She apparently already had surgery and is going to rehab in a few days. I feel so sorry for her, she's not as healthy as me anyway and is on a lot of meds. She has some type of skin thing where it tears very easily and sometimes she needs skin grafts :-(. God knows what the fall did to her with that.

KPH
July 2nd, 2018, 01:51 PM
Good Morning All,

Big day planned here today. MIL is having everyone. We've cooked the stew beef for Beef and Noodles for her #1 grandson. Beef roasts are browned and in the crock pot. Potatoes are peeled, green beans in the pot, so dinner for 13 is well underway.

It rained last night so it's stifling today, we'll be inside for all of it anyway.

I'm just hoping my SIL doesn't show herself like she has everyday since we arrived.

Off to slice the potatoes. Stay cool!

Jean Sewing Machine
July 2nd, 2018, 04:09 PM
Speaking of fossil fern -- does anyone ever buy fabric from Amazon? I was browsing a couple days ago & ran across a pkt. of 100 charms of asst'd colors of fossil fern, so I ordered it. I want to make another charms on point quilt. That one went together so easily & I liked how it turned out.

Speaking of Fossil Fern, I bought a box of 100 Fossil Fern fat quarters about 5 years ago, and they are so beautiful in the box I haven't used one of them since. I must think of some use for them!

K. McEuen
July 2nd, 2018, 05:51 PM
Speaking of Fossil Fern, I bought a box of 100 Fossil Fern fat quarters about 5 years ago, and they are so beautiful in the box I haven't used one of them since. I must think of some use for them!

You and me both ...

JCY
July 2nd, 2018, 06:09 PM
Wow! 100 fossil fern FQs. You sure could make a lot with those! It sounds like it's time to dig into your stash!

JCY
July 2nd, 2018, 06:35 PM
HOT! It just hit 100 deg.! We have the swamp cooler going, which gives us good relief & keeps the house comfortable.

I worked in the yard 2 hrs. this a.m. & put 2 bags of trimmings out in the toter before the garbage truck came by. It's hazy (ozone alert today), so it didn't heat up quite a fast this a.m. as it does some days. I'm pooped! -- but not too tired to do a little sewing, which is where I'm headed now.

pcbatiks
July 2nd, 2018, 06:40 PM

I remember when you bought those! Now I don't feel so bad about hoarding some of my fabrics. :D