PDA

View Full Version : To tip or not

CraftyBarb
July 1st, 2018, 09:54 AM
When you order takeout from a restaurant does one need to give a tip. I went to a restaurant yesterday to pick up an order I placed, and when I paid she asked if I wanted change. I looked at the receipt attached to the bag and it had on there the % of a tips. I thought it odd since it was only takeout. To me it would be no different then ordering a pizza and going to pick it up. I never give a tip for that.

Carlie Wolf
July 1st, 2018, 10:02 AM
I only do occasionally. Sometimes I don't even think about it. There is one restaurant which is Mom and Pop type, the food is wonderful and the staff is just so darn friendly. I do there. I think that's about the only place. I also tip the pizza delivery guy.

azmotogirl
July 1st, 2018, 10:31 AM
I leave a smaller than normal tip...... someone (usually a server) has to put your order together and take time away from their tables. My step daughter was a server for a long time and my family has owned many restaurants and it takes time (and money for all the supplies) to put together the takeout orders.

Anitamae56
July 1st, 2018, 10:36 AM
My granddaughter worked at a restaurant and worked the take out often and would get frustrated by not hardly making any hourly pay, and then never getting tips, now I tip the take out like I do the a server, . I learned they work just as hard, which I didn't know before.

dwil23
July 1st, 2018, 11:17 AM
My granddaughter worked at a restaurant and worked the take out often and would get frustrated by not hardly making any hourly pay, and then never getting tips, now I tip the take out like I do the a server, . I learned they work just as hard, which I didn't know before.

It's funny how we never think of these things until our kids work in restaurants. Like you, I never gave it a thought until my son started waiting tables. I never pick up takeout, but I am sure my daughter tips when she brings food home. My Dad and XH were both very generous tippers and my kids all picked it up from them.

JulieC
July 1st, 2018, 12:22 PM
Thanks for posting! I have often wondered the same thing and thought about posing the question...

I order takeout a couple of times a month. My mom, sister & I have family dinner nights on Tuesdays; every other Tuesday it's my turn to provide the dinner. Since I'm still working, I buy the dinner instead of making it. I'm never sure if I should tip or not when I pick up food from Bob Evans or another restaurant that I consider an eat-in restaurant.

And if we do tip, how much should it be? I'm curious to see what is considered fair.

Claire Hallman
July 1st, 2018, 12:33 PM
I usually just drop whatever change there is in the bucket. The cashiers and cooks should [should being the operative word] be being paid regular wages, not like waiters.

birdscraps
July 1st, 2018, 02:52 PM
I usually just drop whatever change there is in the bucket. The cashiers and cooks should [should being the operative word] be being paid regular wages, not like waiters.

You are so right that "should" is the operative word. In many restaurants servers are encouraged to share their tips with other staff. When I worked as a waitress we were always encouraged to share with the kitchen staff because as our employer told us we were all part of a team. Luckily for me, I made a good hourly wage and the restaurant I worked in was an upscale one so tips could be generous. Also, by sharing part of my tips with the kitchen staff I was generally guaranteed their cooperation during rush times which in turn, translated into higher tips. I was shocked to hear that in many establishments that have this type of practice the staff is not paid even minimum wage and the employer can get away with it because they can say the tips added to their hourly wage can bump them up so they are making minimum wage. I have always been a generous tipper when at a sit down restaurant but once I heard of that sneaky practice I started re-evaluating tipping in general. Now I usually tip at least 5-10% for take-out. I have never had a job that I worked harder at than being a waitress/server. And don't get me started on having to deal with the public. For that reason alone all restaurant workers deserve a tip!

auntstuff
July 1st, 2018, 03:12 PM
First I will say that tipping is a good thing for decent service. However, if its on the bill and not optional, its no longer tipping, its usury.

Hulamoon
July 1st, 2018, 03:35 PM
I don't eat out except for a Subway sammie after I go food shopping. lol I always leave a tip in the jar. Where I live I can't even get a pizza delivered. There is really no delivery on this island that I know of.

jjkaiser
July 1st, 2018, 03:51 PM
I always tip generously if I go out to eat. I do get take out pizza about every three weeks and there is a line for a tip on the receipt but I never leave one, since I always thought it's not delivery, I am picking it up! Now I may rethink that, and leave 10%, usually I leave 20% for a meal eaten at the restaurant.

Vonnie
July 1st, 2018, 09:09 PM
When you tip for pickup, will the right person receive the tip? When we go to a nice restaurant for pickup, it's usually the person at the cash register that gives us the food and not the person that put it together.

Hulamoon
July 1st, 2018, 09:59 PM
When you tip for pickup, will the right person receive the tip? When we go to a nice restaurant for pickup, it's usually the person at the cash register that gives us the food and not the person that put it together.

I always wondered about that even if you sit down inside. If the food is horrible you don't tip, but it wasn't the servers fault. If the food is good why is the server getting the tip?

Maybe the European model is better, just pay your people better.

K. McEuen
July 1st, 2018, 10:02 PM
I always wondered about that even if you sit down inside. If the food is horrible you don't tip, but it wasn't the servers fault. If the food is good why is the server getting the tip?

Maybe the European model is better, just pay your people better.

If the food is horrible, you still tip the server if the service was good. You complain about the food and speak with a manager, who 9 times out of 10 will comp your meal. Don't punish the server for a bad cook.

grammaterry
July 1st, 2018, 10:17 PM
having just retired as a restaurant owner I have lots of info from servers. First...a lazy server always want to pool her tips with the other servers. A good server wants to be independent. Takeout in a small restaurant is usaually just work for the kitchen staff and ringing it up isn't really a big deal but...the servers have some really slow times and they do have to anwer the phone and write the order and get it right... I never really thought takeout should be tipped but found that the workers needed the takeout tips to balance their income.
It is true that the restaurant could just add x # of $ to the pricing and give that to the server but they wouldn't work very hard to please you most of the time.
Many people don't think that if you are being served by the owner that you should have to tip. Well, the owner is probably making the least amount of money from everyone after all the expenses and taxation and they are working hard if they have to fill in for an absentee worker or a new hirer.
Old people seemed to tip 10 percent...northeasterners were pretty standard at 15%, southerners came in around 20% and secondhomers were closer to 30%.
Try to remember that the waitstaff may seem like they have plenty of customers and tables but think about the non-dinner hours that they are just there waiting for a customer and expected to clean or roll silverware or who has to clean up an accident in the bathroom...there are lots of behind the scene things that your waitstaff has to provide for you.

Hulamoon
July 1st, 2018, 10:43 PM
If the food is horrible, you still tip the server if the service was good. You complain about the food and speak with a manager, who 9 times out of 10 will comp your meal. Don't punish the server for a bad cook.

What about a place like McDonalds. I used to order burgers with no mustard for my girls. It always came with mustard. That's the servers fault for not following through. Not that I ever tipped there.

This would of been a good debate in speech class. lol Dang that was hard one to take.

K. McEuen
July 1st, 2018, 10:52 PM
Well Lorie, I was gonna say "You tip at McD's?" You sort of answered your own question.

In a restaurant yes, your server is responsible for making sure you get what you ordered, but they are not responsible for bad food.

bubba
July 1st, 2018, 11:56 PM
I will tell you something that I have not shared prior to now. About three months ago, my daughter started delivering Uber Eats. She asked me if I would sign up and do 40 deliveries. By doing that, she would get a $150 bonus. I rode with her one day and decided to do it for 40 deliveries and quit. I figured it would take about seven or eight days, and it did.

Well, now it is two months later. I am still at it and enjoy it immensely! I work three hours a day (lunchtime), Monday thru Friday and make between $200 - $300 a week. I don't know when I've had more fun! I get to talk to new strangers everyday! Some tip on the app, some tip with cash, but the majority don't tip at all. I am using the extra cash to pay my VISA off, and in two months, will start on the next smallest bill to get that paid off. I also set aside some just for fun money.

So yes, when we used to order food at work to get it delivered, we would ALWAYS tip. I normally do not when I get food to go, depends on my mood.

Here now is a funny story. My first delivery I ever did was to my old place of employment! I could not believe it. My daughter rode with me that first day and it was a HUGE order. She said she could not believe it and commented on the tip they would probably give. When we used to order, it was not unusual for the driver to get less than $20 for a tip. Believe it or not, I did not get a dime...nothing! I don't know if it was because they knew me or because they felt no need to tip an Uber driver, but I thought it was kind of crappy of them to do.

14margarette
July 2nd, 2018, 03:02 AM
I don't actually give a tip when I do take out. They just prepare my food and that's it. I only give tips when I dine in, or it depends on the situation.

Bubby
July 2nd, 2018, 09:49 AM
The only time we have food delivered is when we are working at the apartments and we need pizza. There is already a $3 delivery charge added to the bill but we still tip the delivery person. That makes a medium pizza ridiculously expensive. We all have to live and we all have to eat...God bless us all. PS, The only pizza in our little town is at a gas station and believe me you wouldn't eat it.

Pat, your new venture sounds like fun. I think it was tacky of your former co-workers to stiff you.

bubba
July 2nd, 2018, 01:33 PM
The only time we have food delivered is when we are working at the apartments and we need pizza. There is already a $3 delivery charge added to the bill but we still tip the delivery person. That makes a medium pizza ridiculously expensive. We all have to live and we all have to eat...God bless us all. PS, The only pizza in our little town is at a gas station and believe me you wouldn't eat it.

Pat, your new venture sounds like fun. I think it was tacky of your former co-workers to stiff you.

Oh, Barb, thank you!

Pizza was also something we ordered a lot of. We noticed there was also the delivery charge added to the bill and one day, I asked the driver if that was considered the tip. He told me that the company kept that and the drivers got nothing from it. They got the smallest amount minimum wage and whatever tips they were given. When we ordered, there was always at least four of us, so if we each added a couple bucks, they got a nice tip. I remember one gal would round up, say her part was $4.79, and she would give .21 cents to make it an even $5...never anything more. It would make the man who was my work husband so mad and he finally mentioned it to her. She quit ordering with us.