PDA

View Full Version : Sunday - Sunday

JCY
July 1st, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good Morning ~ It's a bit chilly this a.m., down to 52 deg. Great for sleeping. Most of yest. was in the 70's, which was a welcome relief from the heat, but the 90's are coming back this week.

The birthday open house was well attended yest. afternoon. I can't imagine living to be 95 y.o. It was good to see many church friends. Our church has more than 1 worship service, so sometimes we don't see the people from the other services unless there is an all-church event.

This a.m. will be church; we have Communion the 1st Sun. of the mo. On the way home, I need to stop by Vitamin Cottage to get Kombucha & a few things, then Whole Foods, where I buy my organic turkey bacon. I hope to make it to the sewing room this afternoon.

It's hard to believe the year is half gone & it's already July. Four in the family have BDs this mo.

Have a great Sunday.

Bubby
July 1st, 2018, 09:23 AM
Good Morning Joy and Everyone,

We had a productive work day yesterday in Cuba. We rented two apartments and we will soon have a full house again. We had a steady stream of visitors to see all three of the Girls. The pups eat it up but Dot would rather not be bothered. Now that she feels protective of Sugar and Maggs her watchfulness has increased and she never takes her eyes off of the visitors....just to make sure.

It's going to be another scorcher today so I need to sort out a few things for dinner and wash a few loads of laundry before I wilt.

Wishing everyone a great day with hugs.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
July 1st, 2018, 09:37 AM
Good morning Joy and all the ladies who follow,

It's sunny and it's going to be hottest Canada Day on record. There are severe heat warnings, with the humidity, expected to be mid 40s C. That's hot. So this little chick is not going out to get roasted. We will BBQ and watch the fireworks from the backyard. Some of the yucca plants are flowering and the rose bush has just poofed with this humidity.
153579. 153580

Yesterday I checked FAcebook and one of the LQS was having a Canada 151st birthday sale. If you bought $151 you received a coupon for $151 to be spent in July. Woot, woot. So this lit the fire under my butt and off we were on a road trip an hour away. I picked up yardage for backing the fuschia charm/JR quilt I recently finished for one of DH's aunt Ethel in Colorado. I got beautiful backing for a blue quilt I made this winter and a cream print yardage to go with the collection of In The Beginning fabrics I received for my birthday. It has 30 1/3m prints, beautifully boxed. DH also picked up some yardage and got his $151 coupon.

Then I finished quilting top #2 of 4 on my Sweet 16. I've attached the binding and almost done hand sewing. I will post pic when done. I am pleased with the simple design. Looks good front and back. I may sandwich #3 & #4 today. I assemble them on a 12' hand quilting rack, spray baste and press together. Then I remove to quilt. I find this easier than pinning, especially since I might miss one. This could damage Sweetie.

DH's youngest and my oldest son are working today. My DD and family have gone on a mini vacation to visit her cousin. DH's son and family celebrate with her family and friends. So quiet, except I am expecting my mom will call. My GF will come over for drinks and dinner.

Enjoy your day. Stay cool and keep hydrated. Happy Canada Day to my Canadian friends, wherever you may be.

Sharyn J
July 1st, 2018, 09:50 AM
Good morning everyone! It's going to be another scorcher today It's already 79F and muggy and going up to 96F again Even the dog resists going outside in the heat. Made enough taco fixings yesterday to have them again today. Too hot to cook and I really don't mind throwing out the dishes when we're done. (Paper plates....lol)

Even with A/C, this weather zaps my energy and initiative. What normally takes me an hour, now takes me all day so my sewing has been slow. Finishing up seaming a backing and working on completing a baby quilt.

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

shermur
July 1st, 2018, 10:26 AM
I miss central air. For the next several days it will be over 90 and no air conditioning.....UGH.

I been quilting a lot lately....trying to get challenges completed and I may yet start my own business from home since I cannot find a job in Vermont......so sad and no diversity?

KPH
July 1st, 2018, 10:35 AM
Good Morning All,

It's a beautiful day here in northern IN. It's hot and humid, but nothing like Jacksonville, FL.

I've been stitching hexies together this weekend. BIL will arrive from FL today sometime. Kind of excited to see him. MIL is planning dinner for tomorrow, her oldest grandson and his family will be here. I haven't seen Brandon and his wife since the wedding, never even met their beautiful red headed daughter.

Happy Canada day to our neighbors!

Prayers for those in need, and thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Carolnnc
July 1st, 2018, 11:43 AM
Good morning. Thank you to all who post on the daily thread. sometimes ya'll are the only outside connection I get for several days.

It's so hot here the grass is crispy & dying. It did rain a little but it didn't help much.

Life has been pretty rough here lately. Ryker got neutered, came out of the "cone of shame" on day fifteen & on day seventeen the incision opened up. It didn't go well when I took him back to the vet so I ended up taking him to the emergency vet hospital. They had to put him to sleep, clean up the area & stitch him up. It looks like he may be in the cone for four weeks. My vet (not the one who did the neuter) has given Ryker meds to help keep him calm. They do help but about 4:00 he hits a three hour spell of howling. It helps if I sing Jingle Bells but I can't do that for three hours. We can take him out only for potty & food because he goes berserk & starts jumping, hopping & trying to run. As a puppy who has high energy being in the crate so much is causing him a lot of stress. I spend a lot of time stretched out on the floor next to the crate talking to the poor baby. Since I read books on my Kindle I also read out loud to him.

So, I do try to pop in & see what's up with you guys but I haven't had time to post. I think I went three days without brushing my hair or teeth but it's hazy so not sure.

Well I'm going to try & grab an hour nap while he's napping.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

auntstuff
July 1st, 2018, 12:20 PM
sometimes ya'll are the only outside connection I get for several days.

I do understand that! I seldom post here, but I read daily.

Anitamae56
July 1st, 2018, 12:32 PM
That is me also , I look so forward to reading about everyone's days.
Suzanne I love seeing your outdoor pictures, and seeing your baby boxes.the boxes are very well done, and so neatly presented, thank you very much for showing them.
Happy Canadian Day to all!! I love reading about different ones places and customs , even from US states . Everyone enjoy your Independence Day.
Thank you to all sharing your lives with us unposters .

KarenC
July 1st, 2018, 01:35 PM
Happy Canada Day to everyone in Canada (Happy Day to everyone else too). Suzanne, your yard is beautiful.

Still ripping out the quilting that I did last weekend. My son asked if I ever thought of just tossing the project and moving on to another. Nope, now it's a challenge. I should finish ripping today or tomorrow. Waiting for some 3 inch rings to arrive from Amazon today so that I can finish making a baby sling. DD asked for this to carry the baby in while on vacation in August. About to go to Joanns to look for solids for DS's quilt. He has been trying out some different layouts for a plus sign quilt, and has decided on one with a medium solid grey background. I think it will look good.

Yesterday, I did go to the LQS and talk to them about robotics for my longarm. It's a used unit, but they have to research and see what additional parts will need to be ordered. We'll see. If the final cost is low enough I may just get it.

Hope everyone has a great day!

chelea
July 1st, 2018, 02:19 PM
Happy Sunday everyone. Wow, this heat is sapping my energy.
Yesterday I finished a Secret Santa project. Woohoo...six down and six to go. I think I'm going to start a baby boy quilt so need to figure out which pattern. I'd like to use up some of my stash rather than shopping for new fabric.
Not too much else going on here. Hubs has been putting together the new pool steps. We have an above ground pool and the ladder was cracking so we went with stairs rather than another ladder. Once they're in I can take a dip to cool off. The water temp was about 82 yesterday, just perfect.
Carolnnc, I feel your pain. Our cat had surgery on her paw and had to wear the cone for quite a while. She was so sad, it was very hard for her to eat and drink and when she walked around she bumped into furniture and walls. Even getting into the litter box was a challenge. It affected her vision and hearing. She was so traumatized by that cone that I would sit with her in my lap for hours and hours because that's all that would soothe her. I said many many prayers for it to be over. I also had a cat with abdominal surgery who had to wear the cone, got a wound infection and the cone had to go back on. So I can relate to your distress. It will pass, just not soon enough. Stay strong.
Hope everyone stays as cool as a cucumber today and happy Canada Day to our northern neighbors!

sewbizzy
July 1st, 2018, 03:14 PM
I do understand that! I seldom post here, but I read daily.

I also read this post everyday, but rarely post myself....I look forward to it!

toggpine
July 1st, 2018, 03:20 PM
It's a slow start around here today. I was up at 7, started coffee, set the milk to pasteurizing, walked down to check the neighbors chickens. Then sat down and snoozed on the couch!
Even more unbelievable was that my husband slept in until 9! That guy is almost always up by 6.
Now that's it's nearly lunch time, we will get out and get stuff going around the farm.
Eric finished demolition on the front deck. In standard fashion, it s not going to be simply replacing it. The way it was attached to the house, it allowed water to become trapped along the siding. We have at least 20' of rotten siding. Even worse is that the carpenter ants and the rot (not sure which came first) look to have made it into the floor joists and studs along that section of the house. We may not replace the deck this year. That project's budget may go to structural repairs. Ugh.
I'll finish weeding the orchard and the raspberry patch today. I rewound the spool of weed eater line, so I can finish cleaning up the area behind the barn too. It is crazy how quickly nature wants to reclaim what we have cleared away!
At least it is supposed to be cool today while we get this stuff done.
On a fun note, my sister and I went to a local Baseball game last night. We had a great time. I think we are going to try to go to a couple more over the summer. They have family nights where you get 4 tickets, special edition hats, and a hotdog meal for $44. Not too bad as the hats would cost you that much.
I had better drain the last of the coffee in my cup and get on with it!

Ginny B
July 1st, 2018, 05:36 PM
Good afternoon everyone. Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian members. It's a hot, hot, hot day here today. I woke up with some pain from my hiatal hernia this morning. It wasn't too bad though. I made myself some chamomile tea and took my Protonix and it subsided in a short time. Hubby wanted us to skip our planned trip to the beach but I knew I'd be fine so we headed down there. We were there by 8 and I was surprised that it didn't feel much cooler there than it did at our house. But then some high, wispy clouds came in and a breeze started to blow and it was pretty comfy there. However, by around 1:30 it was getting pretty hot so we left. I feel very wrung out now and have no energy. After taking a nice cool shower, I headed up to my sewing room (today aka the sauna) and took pictures of my Secret Santa projects but it was just too hot up there to work on anything so I just came out to the yard and I'm relaxing in the shade. There is a nice breeze here now.

I hope everyone is staying cool and hydrated. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.

Cokie
July 1st, 2018, 05:49 PM
It's very hot here today too. I've been having trouble going to sleep at night so this morning I slept in a little bit and I feel better for it. I have fresh green beans, redskin potatoes and ham in the crockpot for dinner tonight. I went to the grocery store this afternoon - my son went with me to help carry the groceries and water. He's such a sweetie. I'm off work now until Thursday - took a couple of actual vacation days and made no plans for them. All of my vacation days so far this year have been spent taking DH to Cleveland Clinic so it's nice to have some time off for me. We're watching the Indians game right now and I'm going to make some refrigerator pickles a little later tonight. Happy Canada Day to our Canadian friends. Hope everyone has a good day/evening.

grammaterry
July 1st, 2018, 10:31 PM
The ten grands are here for the week at Camp Gramma. They said the nicest thing tonight...one (the 15 yr old) said they had all decided to come every summer at least until they left home and maybe even after that...certainly thru college. Now wouldn't that be the ultimate compliment to have young adults gathering for gramma camp.
They have been swimming non stop and hiking in the 40 acre woods. The 9 yr old looked like he was going to crash and burn tonight but refused to give up with the teenagers on the porch playing cards. DH built them the sweetest little cabin about 10 yrs ago...two stories 16x16 with a 16x16 ft front porch. Its about 1/4 mile from our house next to a small pond with a huge field of grass. They were playing frisbee when I left a few minutes ago.
I am having a wonderful time even though I am very tired.

toggpine
July 2nd, 2018, 02:51 AM
I'll go to gramma camp!