PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday Trivia: Expemsive Meal

Star lover
June 27th, 2018, 06:59 AM
In a historical account from Pliny the Elder, Cleopatra bets Marc Antony that she can serve the most expensive meal imaginable. When he agrees to the wager, she presents a huge banquet.

Then for dessert, she orders a cup of vinegar, into which she drops one of her priceless pearl earrings. The pearl dissolves, and she drinks the vinegar, thereby winning the bet.

Pearls are made of calcium carbonate, the active ingredient in Rolaids and Tums. So, if that ancient story is true, Cleopatra washed down her feast with the world's most expensive antacid

The account was written by Pliny the Elder, he is the only source for the above story......sooooo, it may or may not be true. The story goes on to say: She was about to drop a second pearl in another glass of vinegar when Antony's ally Lucius Plancus, who was refereeing the bet, stopped her and declared her the winner.

At any rate, pearls do dissolve in vinegar.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 27th, 2018, 07:50 AM
I learned something today.

Monique
June 27th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Pretty cools stuff Anita.

Midge
June 27th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Fascinating story! I'm using vinegar to dissolve ground up eggshells and release the calcium. For my container plants. Seems to be working out.

birdscraps
June 27th, 2018, 04:28 PM
This made me laugh because pearls were my mom's favorite and she used to eat Rolaids like candy! SHe is cracking up in heaven at herself right this minute! :D