PDA

View Full Version : Artic Air Cooler

CraftyBarb
June 26th, 2018, 08:25 PM
What was I thinking. My central a/c went out last year and I cannot afford to have it looked at, fixed or replaced at this time. I do have a portable a/c unit I borrowed from my sister that works fine for now. Anyway I bought 2 of the Artic Air coolers. Big mistake..filled it with cold water and ice cubes and it cooled for a few minutes until the ice melted..then it was just warm air. The second one arrived a couple of days later and I refused the delivery and told them to ship it back to the sender. Such a dumb fool I am..lol :icon_rolleyes:

Monique
June 26th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 26th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Wow. That's 2 bad.

Caroline T.
June 26th, 2018, 09:02 PM
A cheaper and a little more effective alternative to the artic air cooler, is a good ol' fashioned "Swamp Cooler". Used them in Florida at night to help cool down the sleeping areas (a little bit).

Take several empty gallon size milk jugs - fill with water, put them in your freezer until frozen solid. Set a jug in a large casserole type dish (lasagna pans work great) because they will sweat and puddle so the pan will catch the moisture. Set the frozen jug & casserole dish in front of a fan blowing directly on the area to cool.

I found that the frozen jugs will last for 6 to 8 hours even when the evening temps were in the upper 90s (much longer than some little ice cubes), and the jugs are re-freezable for the next day. While it won't cool an area, it will blow a cool breeze onto you if you're close enough to the fan.

Not the perfect solution to a hot night, but every little bit helps.

JCY
June 26th, 2018, 10:26 PM
A regular swamp cooler probably wouldn't work well in NJ -- too much humidity. We've used one for years, but Colorado is much drier. But your idea, Caroline, sounds like it would help some.

grammaterry
June 26th, 2018, 10:32 PM
I heard that ad on the tv this morning and thought...hummm...that won't work unless you live in a really dry climate. Sorry it got you. Glad you had the forethought to refuse the second one. Be sure to alert your credit card company. If it was American express, they will see to it that you can return the first one.

CraftyBarb
June 27th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I purchased these from HSN. Did not know that if you refuse a package and it is returned, it is not insured..and if the package gets damaged on the return you will not get refunded for it.

Heather
June 27th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I borrowed the dogs cool gel mat and put it on my bed. Eventually it loses its cool and becomes ambient temp. but to fall asleep on it was worth it. Dog wasn't using it anyway.

dwil23
June 28th, 2018, 02:56 AM
These helped us survive six days without power after Irma last September.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Perfect-Fitness-Perfect-Cooling-Towel/21666151

also search you tube for DIY air cooler/conditioner there are several how to's to help cool you off for little expense. Instead of ice, I would freeze water in plastic containers