PDA

View Full Version : Take a bow!

SallyO'Sews
June 21st, 2018, 03:16 PM
I was just watching a sewing tutorial with the sound off and the captions on. Couldn't figure out why there was "Applause" in the captions, since the tutorial was not made in front of an audience. Then I realized it was the caption for the sound of the sewing machine.

Seems reasonable enough that there would be applause whenever someone sews! From now on I'm going to assume that every time my foot hits the pedal, someone, somewhere, is clapping for me. :lol::D:icon_wave:

Debbie Watters
June 21st, 2018, 05:26 PM
Too funny! What a great thought!

Caroline T.
June 21st, 2018, 07:08 PM
That's funny. I had to test, so went and watched a few videos with the sound off & CC on, but none of them read "applause" (or anything else for the machine) :(

I finally figured out that most likely that's because the videos I watched had pretty quiet machines. Which reminded me of a question my DH posed to me one day, "Why don't you were your hearing aids when you sew?" .... Cause then my machine sounds like a freight train!

Sew I pose a question to you all - if you were to "close caption" the sound of your sewing machine, what would the CC read?

Sandy Navas
June 21st, 2018, 07:16 PM
Not sure what sound my sewing machine would make. But I do know (since Al does record and post videos and has some hearing-impaired students and uses You-Tube's CC feature . . . ) that often it doesn't translate well.

I was watching some videos from Britian's Got Talent this afternoon - with the sound and CC both on - and it was amazing what CC posted when I could hear what was actually said. Technology just ain't perfect yet!

MaggieSue
June 21st, 2018, 08:29 PM
I often watch you tube with cc and you can usually figure out what is really being said. My preferred way of watching some videos.