PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Trivia: Sunflowers

Star lover
June 21st, 2018, 07:26 AM
Some fun and interesting facts about sunflowers:

Sunflowers are native to the Americas. Historically, they have been*used for medicine, dye, food, and oil, and were exported around 1500.

The giant flower on sunflowers is actually made up of many tiny blooms. The center of the sunflower, where the seeds develop, is made up of tiny blossoms that bees absolutely love.

Sunflowers attract bees, making them useful in areas where people are beekeeping and looking to attract more bees.

Sunflowers typically grow between 5*and 12 feet tall (not counting cute little dwarf sunflowers.) They can reach full height in as little as six months.

At the bud stage, sunflowers exhibit a unique trait called heliotropism, with which the bud of the sunflower faces the sun at all times throughout the day, starting the day facing east and ending it facing west.

It is a misconception that flowering sunflower heads track the Sun across the sky during the day. Young flower buds do display movement similar to this behaviour through a process called heliotropism. But a mature flower usually points in a fixed easterly direction.

The sunflower is the state flower of Kansas and the national flower of Ukraine.

Several people have set world records for large or tall sunflowers. The current world record for tallest sunflower was set in 2014, at a towering 30 feet, 1 inch, grown by Hans-Peter Schiffer in Germany. The local fire brigade lent its help in measuring the sunflower, which required its own scaffold.

The sunflower with the largest flower head is 32 ¼ inches in diameter (measured from the outer tip of the petal on one side to the outer tip of the petal on the opposite side), was grown by Emily Martin in Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada in 1983.

Sunflowers need full sun and rich, well-drained soil to reach their maximum height.

Sunflowers*can remove toxins, such as lead, arsenic, and uranium, from contaminated soil. They are a natural decontaminator of soils and have been used to clean up soil at some of the world's biggest environmental disasters, including Chernobyl and Fukushima.

Sunflower oil is*packed with calcium and iron and contains vitamins A and D.

Not all sunflower petals are yellow. There are more than 60 varieties of sunflowers that live around*the world—some of these varieties have striped petals. Some sunflowers also have different interior shades.

The inside of a sunflower, it is actually made from smaller flowers; the outer petals are known as ray florets. The seeds in the middle have male and female sex organs and can produce seeds. They self-pollinate or attract pollen from wind and insects.

Got a sunflower that no longer has seeds on the inside? You can use the head of the sunflower as a natural scrubbing tool!

The French word for sunflower is*tournesol,*which translates literally to "turned sun," referring to the plant's ability to turn itself to face the sun.

The sunflower is the only flower with the word "flower" in its name.

Tsar Peter the Great was so fascinated by the sunny flowers he saw in the Netherlands that he took some back to Russia. They*became popular*when people discovered that sunflower seed oil was not banned during Lent, unlike the other oils*the Russian Orthodox Church banned*its*patrons*from consuming. By the 19th century, the country was planting*two million acres of sunflowers every year. The sunflower is the national flower of Russia.

Russian immigrants to the United States in the*19th*century brought back highly developed sunflower seeds that grew bigger blooms, and sparked a renewed interest in the native American plant. Later, American sunflower production exploded when Missouri farmers began producing sunflower oil in 1946, when Canada unveiled a mechanical seed-crushing plant, and in the 1970s, when consumers looked for low-cholesterol alternatives to animal fats.

In 2012,*U.S. astronaut Don Pettit brought along a few companions to the International Space Station: sunflower seeds. Petit*regularly blogged about*his budding friendship and shared photos of the gardening process.*

A single sunflower can have up to 2000 seeds.

Sunflower seeds are found in two ways black and striped. Black seeds are used to make oil and snacks are made out of striped seeds.

laura44
June 21st, 2018, 12:50 PM
Interesting!

Hulamoon
June 21st, 2018, 01:34 PM
I used to be scared of the giant ones when I was little. There was a field of them I had to walk pass by and it gave me the creeps. lol That's amazing how tall they can get!

Heather
June 21st, 2018, 05:03 PM
They are also allelopathic so you have to be careful what is planted near them. I still enjoy them, especially the way the flower heads look before they open.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 21st, 2018, 05:14 PM
I have always loved sunflowers. Then I found out that it also my DH state flower. I guess that's why he collects sunflower fabric.