PDA

View Full Version : Today's Hail Storm - 6-19-2018

JCY
June 19th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Our weather the past couple days has been unsettled. We had a thunderstorm last evening with heavy rain & pea-sized hail. Today the skies started getting darker about an hour ago. At first it was just thunder, lightning, & rain. As the storm intensified, the pea sized hail turned into marble sized. Wow, was it noisy! I was hoping it wouldn't break anything or damage the roof. Three of our neighbors have replaced their roofs this summer, mostly due to age, I think, not hail. Anyway, the hail has shredded leaves from the trees, shredded all the blossoms on my geraniums, & scared the poor little rabbit that was in the back yard. He scurried under some of the perennials, but it wasn't enough safety. He eventually came right up next to the house so he was under the overhang. When I stepped outside (close to the house!) to take a pic, what should I see but a raccoon lumbering through our neighbor's yard. It came down the side of their house, ran across our front porch, then headed over to the creek, which is close to us. It sure seemed spooked by the hail. I haven't seen a 'coon in the neighborhood for several yrs. They used to visit our yard when we still had an apple tree. We rarely saw them, just indications they'd been here.

Well, the storm has moved east. It's getting brighter & I see some blue sky out there. Such changeable weather!153309153310153311153312153313153314

Caroline T.
June 19th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Wow, that's quite a bit of hail. Glad the bunny is ok and found shelter by the house.

Monique
June 19th, 2018, 05:47 PM
We had a hail storm come through here a number of years ago. Broke windows and all the siding facing west. I hope to never see that again.

KPH
June 19th, 2018, 06:52 PM
I can honestly say, I don't like hail storms. I'm glad you and your little friends are safe.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 19th, 2018, 07:26 PM
That is quite the hail storm. I saw some of your storm on the weather channel.

JCY
June 19th, 2018, 09:47 PM
Yes, the hail was much worse in other areas. Greeley had totally white lawns & streets. One area had ping pong sized hail stones. Car windows were smashed, cars were dented. It was pretty bad in some areas. There was a tornado sighted out in Weld Co. & some areas were under a tornado watch this afternoon. It's that time of year.

KarenC
June 19th, 2018, 11:49 PM
Wow! That's some storm. We've had rain for the past 3 days, but nothing like that. My guage showed 9 inches total. Sometime I wonder how accurate it is, but then again it has rained a lot. And to top it off, some construction fool building the house next door decides to try to use a Bobcat (mini dozer) on the lot of the new home they're building next door. Well it obviously got stuck. Had to bring in 2 more dozers to dig out the dirt around it and pull it out. Now they yard is a 4 ft. hole.