PDA

View Full Version : Monday Trivia: California

Star lover
June 18th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Some interesting facts about California:

California is the USA's most populous state with almost 40,000,000 residents, more than Canada as of 2008. One of eight United States residents live here.

California is a "minority majority" state, with 58% of its population Asian, Hispanic, Native American or other groups. 26% of its people were born outside the U.S.

Only Alaska and Texas have more land than California.

Three out of the ten largest U. S. cities are in California: Los Angeles, San Diego and San Jose.

California was the country's top state in cash farm receipts in 2008, growing nearly half of all fruits, nuts and vegetables. Almonds are the biggest export (in dollars), followed by dairy products, wine, table grapes, cotton, walnuts, pistachios and rice.

California contains the lowest and the highest points in the continental U. S. You can travel from 282 feet below sea level in Death Valley to 14,494-foot Mt. Whitney in less than a day.

California is home to the world's largest tree (General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park) and the tallest (a coastal redwood whose identity is withheld).

Some California plants live a long time. The eastern Sierras' Bristlecone pines are 4,600 years old, but a Mojave Desert creosote bush is among the world's oldest living things at 43,000 years.

Invented in California: fortune cookies, Apple computers, theme parks (Disneyland), blue jeans, the Frisbee, skateboards, video arcade games and the Barbie doll.

California was named for Queen Califia, a character in the book written by Garcia de Montalvo.

Gold was discovered in California in 1849. After James Marshall discovered gold in Coloma, he tried to keep his discovery a secret. But the secret was too big to keep. The laborers at the sawmill had close friends working at Sutter's Fort.

California joined the United States with the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which ended the Mexican-American War, in 1848. The U.S. paid Mexico $15 million for war damages. In turn, Mexico ceded nearly half of its territory, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, and parts of Colorado, Nevada, and Utah. California officially became a state (the 31st) in 1850.

California was originally known as the Grizzly Bear State. As California boomed—and the bear population was wiped out—it became the Golden State.

The grizzly bear on California's current state flag is a tribute to Monarch, a 1,200-lb. wild California grizzly bear captured by newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst (or, rather, the reporter he hired, Allen Kelley) in 1899. Monarch was sent to San Francisco, where he was a star attraction at Woodward's Garden and then Golden Gate Park until his death in 1911. The last reported sighting of a wild California grizzly bear was in 1924.

While Monarch is front and center on California's official state flag, which was adopted in 1911, the bear flag image dates back to 1846, two years before the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. A group of Americans who'd settled in California, which was then part of Mexico, feared they'd be expelled. They invaded the Mexican outpost at Sonoma and captured the retired general Mariano Vallejo. A few days later, they raised a flag that featured a red star and crudely drawn grizzly and declared the land the California Republic.

And who designed the original flag? William Todd, nephew of Mary Todd Lincoln. It's a small historical world.

Why is California called the Golden State? The State Museum says: "California's modern development can be traced back to the discovery of gold in 1848 and fields of golden poppies can be seen each spring."

Native people lived in California for thousands of years. In 1542, Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo led the first European expedition to what is now California.

California is the only state that's hosted both the Summer and Winter Olympics.

Thousands of U.S. banks failed after the 1929 stock market crash—by 1933, only 11,000 were left. All of San Francisco's banks, however, survived.

The movie industry is based in Hollywood because movie makers were trying to get away from Thomas Edison (based in New Jersey). He had patents covering virtually the entire movie making process, but the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in California was known to rule against patent claims. The first motion picture theater opened in Los Angeles on April 2, 1902.

You can observe “watermelon snow” while hiking across the slopes of California’s Sierra Nevada foothills in summer. It’s pink-colored and has a scent and taste like watermelon. The microscopic algae known as Chlamydomonas nivalis, brought about this phenomenon.

World’s first McDonald’s restaurant was opened in 1940, by brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald in San Bernardino, California.

More turkeys are raised in California than in any other state in the United States.

Castroville is known as the Artichoke Capital of the World. In 1947 a young woman named Norma Jean was crowned Castroville's first Artichoke Queen. She went on to become actress Marilyn Monroe.

Alpine County is the eighth smallest of California's 58 counties. It has no high school, ATMs, dentists, banks, or traffic lights.

An animal called the riparian brush rabbit calls Caswell Memorial State Park (near Manteca) its home. Endemic only to the state's park system, the critter lives in approximately 255 acres stretching along the area's once-vast hardwood forest.

In city of Pacific Grove, there is a law on the books declaring the molestation of monarch butterflies to be illegal.

Tours you can take in California (thank you to Lorie {Hulamoon}):
- Anheuser-Busch: Fairfield, CA
- Cuban Cigar Factory: San Diego, CA
- Fender Musical Instruments Corporation: Corona, CA
- Jelly Belly Candy Factory: Fairfield, CA
- Jet Propulsion Laboratory: Pasadena, CA
- Kodak Theatre: Hollywood, CA
- Warner Bros. Studios: BURBANK, CA

Monique
June 18th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Interesting stuff, thanks.

Bubby
June 18th, 2018, 07:41 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this...thank you. I grew up in California and I learned things I had never known before from this informative post. I have good memories of playing in the orange and almond groves.

laura44
June 18th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Interesting! Been to the Jelly Belly factory!

Debbie Watters
June 18th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Learned lots of interesting things ... thanks!

GuitarGramma
June 18th, 2018, 02:00 PM
Some interesting facts about California:

California is the USA's most populous state with almost 40,000,000 residents, more than Canada as of 2008. One of eight United States residents live here.

And an initiative just qualified for the ballot to break us up into three states: NorCal, Cal, and SoCal. Please, please, please, I hope this passes!

World’s first McDonald’s restaurant was opened in 1940, by brothers Richard and Maurice McDonald in San Bernardino, California.

Ray Kroc, a milkshake machine salesman, purchased this restaurant from the McDonald's brothers. My husband's first job out of college was in the same modest office building as Ray Kroc's offices, and he frequently rubbed elbows with Mr. Kroc.

More turkeys are raised in California than in any other state in the United States.
And two of them were preening around on our front lawn this weekend!

This was fun, Anita. Thanks!

Hulamoon
June 18th, 2018, 03:33 PM
California is home to the world's largest tree (General Sherman Tree in Sequoia National Park) and the tallest (a coastal redwood whose identity is withheld).

And you know why that is...because moran's out there like to become famous or just for fun for doing destructive stuff like burning it down or pushing over a landmark rock that has been standing precariously for thousands of years.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one because it's my home state!

Kgrammiecaz
June 18th, 2018, 08:21 PM
Wow. That was some interesting information. I have a brother who was born qwhile we lived in California, I was about 5 at the time. And since my last name is Caswell it was cool to hear about the park. I never knew..... thanks!

Vonnie
June 19th, 2018, 04:07 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this...thank you. I grew up in California and I learned things I had never known before from this informative post. I have good of playing in the orange and almond groves.

Me too! Thanks Anita!

Here's another interesting tidbit: The only reason I knew this was I grew up in Southern California!
San Bernardino County
1. San Bernadino, California (20,105 square miles) San Bernardino County in California is the largest county in the United States, at 20,105 square miles including both land and water surface area. San Bernardino is also the fifth largest county in terms of population, with 2,035,210 people as of the 2010 census.

I always thought the oranges were the true gold of California!