PDA

View Full Version : How do you listen to audio books?

Hulamoon
June 17th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I feel stupid for asking. I'm used to buying CD's and I don't own a cell phone. Do I have to buy one to listen to the books? I usually pay attention to tech stuff, but I'm confused with this one.

Nwmnteacher
June 17th, 2018, 05:45 PM
I use my cell phone, which then plays through my car speakers or via Alexa when I'm home. I used to use a small ipod a few years ago with headphones. You could probably get one pretty cheap on ebay.

wlrquilts
June 17th, 2018, 06:40 PM
You should also be able to listen on a tablet (for example a Kindle or other brand) or on your computer.

Hulamoon
June 17th, 2018, 07:00 PM
You should also be able to listen on a tablet (for example a Kindle or other brand) or on your computer.

I have the very first Kindle, I don't know if I still have the charger or cords for it. If I can use my laptop do you buy speakers for it? It seems like you have to buy three devices to listen to something and I'm confused which combination is best

auntstuff
June 17th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Possibly why I always find it so much easier to just curl up with the actual book. :D I'm a pretty low-tech kinda gal.

JCY
June 17th, 2018, 07:14 PM
I've never had any desire to listen to audio books, but I know commuters who have long drives each day listen to audio books. You don't say what electronics you already have. CD player? Cassette player? (I know these are outdated, but we have a ton of music tapes & still listen to them.) I have neither a kindle or an up-to-date cell phone. Mine CP is from 2000; you have to flip it open & pull up the antenna! LOL) I certainly wouldn't pay $ for a cell phone just to listen to audio stuff. It seems a kindle or I-pad would be cheaper. Browse the web to see what's out there. I'm an avid reader, but I want to hold the book & flip the pages (& peek ahead). Books are free at the library, & very cheap from the used book web sites, garage sales, etc. I hope you find something that meets your needs.

DeniseSm
June 17th, 2018, 09:18 PM
I listen to podcasts on my computer. Can't you listen to audiobooks on your computer? It is just an audio file.

MSN
June 17th, 2018, 09:21 PM
If I can use my laptop do you buy speakers for it? It seems like you have to buy three devices to listen to something and I'm confused which combination is best

Doesn't your laptop have internal speakers? Sure, the sound quality might be better if you bought good external speakers, but the existing speakers should be more than adequate for an audio book.

Also, consider your learning style. I know that many people love audio books, but they don't work well for me because I am primarily a visual learner. If I just hear information without seeing it, it pretty much goes in one ear and out the other. I just don't retain it.

LauraP
June 17th, 2018, 09:40 PM
I use my kindle fire especially when I'm sewing. a version one kindle doesn't have speakers so it won't work but my new kindle, which I bought two months ago, cost less than $100 from Amazon.

auntstuff
June 17th, 2018, 09:53 PM
I have the very first Kindle, I don't know if I still have the charger or cords for it. If I can use my laptop do you buy speakers for it? It seems like you have to buy three devices to listen to something and I'm confused which combination is best

You can use earbuds or headphones with your laptop

nativetexan
June 17th, 2018, 10:02 PM
My friend gets audio tapes at the library. so far I've not had any audio books.

KarenC
June 17th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I usually use my laptop, with just the internal speakers on the laptop. If you feel that you are not technically inclined, does your local library possibly have resources to help you? I know that mine has a computer lab once a month to help people. When listening on my car, I'm generally using audio books on CDs. Not into buying the latest and greatest tech gadgets.

Hulamoon
June 17th, 2018, 10:04 PM
I use my kindle fire especially when I'm sewing. a version one kindle doesn't have speakers so it won't work but my new kindle, which I bought two months ago, cost less than $100 from Amazon.
I think I will go that direction. Thanks!

You can use earbuds or headphones with your laptop

I can but I want to use it for doing things like going thru paperwork, which I seem to have a lot of lately and just chores. If I have the TV on I end up sitting down and getting nothing done.

Hulamoon
June 18th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Laura do you have the Kindle fire 10? That's the one I'm looking at.

jjkaiser
June 18th, 2018, 12:56 AM
Lori I have the Kindle HD8 that I got in Dec 2016. I had an older version that I wanted to upgrade. The new one came with a USB port which means you can plug it into your car. It has more RAM so loads faster. The glass on the screen is excellent, for some reason does not show fingerprints unless you are eating something like french fries while using it. I only need to wipe it off about once a week. It has a headphone jack which the old one did not have. If you get a new one I suggest you spend the extra money and buy the one with the most storage, I think mine is 32G. It has a much better, two facing camera than my old Kindle, and downloading pictures from Facebook or the web is seamless, everything automatically goes to your photos app that is pre-installed, so it makes finding a picture when you need it really easy to do. Although I don't do audio books you can download them for free from the public library here. You could then listen to them from the speakers on the Kindle or with headphones, and I would think also in your car. I do all my email on my Kindle too. I think it is a great investment and if you already have an older one it should be very easy for you to adapt to a new one.

Midge
June 18th, 2018, 02:40 AM
Lorie, if you donít have a cell phone, no problem. If you are talking about audio books from Amazon, their application is called Audible. There is an app for that you can load onto a phone, Kindle, a tablet or a laptop. You listen by playing the books on the app. If you are talking about borrowing audiobooks from your public library, it depends on what program the library uses. There are a couple different programs and your library will have chosen one. Then you just dowmload it to your computer. That should be free because you are using your library card. I find my laptop and iPad speakers are disappointing, so I bought a very inexpensive but excellent Bluetooth speaker. I take it around with me so I can listen in different rooms. Itís by Anker, and very highly rated. If you are interested I can look up the model. I take it out with me when Iím gardening or on the porch embroidering. Tech is awesome!

toggpine
June 18th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I have used my Kindle Fire(s), the desktop, CDs, and apparently my GPS thingie has the ability to take an audio file.
Audible has a fee. Overdrive does not, and it links directly to your library for free. If you want to build up your audio library, check out audiobookstand.com. They have some good books at cheap prices. I've only had a problem with one CD in the last 10+ years and the replaced the entire book right away.
The only complaint I have is sometimes the Kindle isn't loud enough in the car. Then again I haven't tried to figure out how to route it through the car speakers either.
I love to listen while I sew. I just have to make sure they are age appropriate if my 12 year old is in listening range!

Grey Lady
June 18th, 2018, 12:28 PM
I've never had any desire to listen to audio books, but I know commuters who have long drives each day listen to audio books. You don't say what electronics you already have. CD player? Cassette player? (I know these are outdated, but we have a ton of music tapes & still listen to them.) I have neither a kindle or an up-to-date cell phone. Mine CP is from 2000; you have to flip it open & pull up the antenna! LOL) I certainly wouldn't pay $ for a cell phone just to listen to audio stuff. It seems a kindle or I-pad would be cheaper. Browse the web to see what's out there. I'm an avid reader, but I want to hold the book & flip the pages (& peek ahead). Books are free at the library, & very cheap from the used book web sites, garage sales, etc. I hope you find something that meets your needs.

Lorie, if you don’t have a cell phone, no problem. If you are talking about audio books from Amazon, their application is called Audible. There is an app for that you can load onto a phone, Kindle, a tablet or a laptop. You listen by playing the books on the app. If you are talking about borrowing audiobooks from your public library, it depends on what program the library uses. There are a couple different programs and your library will have chosen one. Then you just dowmload it to your computer. That should be free because you are using your library card. I find my laptop and iPad speakers are disappointing, so I bought a very inexpensive but excellent Bluetooth speaker. I take it around with me so I can listen in different rooms. It’s by Anker, and very highly rated. If you are interested I can look up the model. I take it out with me when I’m gardening or on the porch embroidering. Tech is awesome!

Ditto on what Midge said. I use both a PC and tablet for audiobooks and find the built in speakers are not adequate. I use portable Bluetooth speakers by Bose and JBL. Just carry the speaker from room to room. And I borrow many audiobooks from the library. I do use audible also, and they have a book deal of the day. Audible usually offers a trial deal, for either one free book or a three month subscription at half price.

Hulamoon
June 18th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Wow you guys are such a wealth of great information! I can't thank you enough for this! I have one last question... Do these new Kindles have a notebook feature, like for a grocery list?

jesuisdiana
June 18th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I have two kindle fires and the older one has better (louder) sound than the newer (1 yr old One) IMO. I find myself using small (and cheap) bluetooth speaker to boost sound. I love all things kindle fire. I don't recall (and I don't have it here by desktop) if there's a specific grocery list, but you should be able to d/l an app for it or for notes in general. There's a specific heading to see all kinds of apps.

GuitarGramma
June 18th, 2018, 02:55 PM
I use this to boost my sound. It works on both my phone and my tablets. (I'm not big on Bluetooth, so I prefer wired speakders, headphones, etc.)
https://www.amazon.com/iHome-iM71SC-Rechargeable-Changing-Speaker/dp/B00U7G3360/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1529344426&sr=1-3&keywords=iHOme+speaker

LLLinda
June 18th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I can listen on my Nook although I never have. I have a small portable cd player that I can watch movies or listen to books. I can listen on my computer and through my car. I can also listen on my DVR. and phone.

Hulamoon
June 18th, 2018, 10:59 PM
I placed an order. Thanks for all your help!

Patty J
June 19th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Have fun with your new device. I love my kindle. I listen to books on cds on my cd player. I use my kindle for trips.

shrrcy@yahoo.com
June 20th, 2018, 02:14 AM
I listen to audio books via my local library. I don't know where you are, but I set up my Overdrive and Recorded Books accounts through my local library. Then you get them digitally sent to your account for an initial 2 week period.

I listen to mine via my Kindle Fire with or without headphones.

toggpine
June 23rd, 2018, 12:51 PM
I hope you enjoy it! I love both of mine.

With the audiobooks, I feel double productive. I can be sewing, cleaning, cooking, or driving and still be keeping up with my reading!

birdscraps
June 23rd, 2018, 01:41 PM
Lorie - you will love the new Kindle. I had the original one and it got to the point where it wasn't updating apps and so last Christmas the family got me a new one. I LOVE it. It loads very fast, keeps a charge much longer than the first generation and is very intuitive. The only thing I don't care for is that on my laptop I use Google Chrome and many Google apps. Amazon and Google don't play nice together so there seems to be one set of apps that work on the Kindle and another for the laptop and they don't communicate well with each other. I've gotten used to it and find that the laptop is mostly for work and the Kindle is saved for fun stuff like Audible and Netflix.

Hulamoon
June 23rd, 2018, 08:10 PM
Well I got a nice surprise this afternoon, it came early! It came with another item I ordered awhile ago (an indoor electric grill). Amazon sent an email for quick set up too. It's be awhile since I had to learn something new. I don't even know what my sewing machine can do and that was four years ago. lol

sewluvit
June 24th, 2018, 12:21 PM
I also download books and audio books on my tablet or cell phone on my library card for free. Only thing is you only have 2 weeks until they expire so it doesn't pay to order too many at once! Also you have to go on a waiting list for the popular or newly released books sometimes.

Deegles
June 24th, 2018, 10:45 PM
my local library has went high tech.....er....higher tech than cds. they have a device. I dont remember what it is called. you go to the library, check out the device, and then from home can check out any audio book they have. it automatically plays it. once your two weeks is up, the book automatically leaves the device snd gets checked back in to the library. check you local library! save your moneyz,