PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Greetings!

JCY
June 16th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I don't see a thread for today so I'll start. It looks a bit cloudy out there this a.m. Our weather was unsettled yest. At noon we had 97 & sunny, then it clouded up. We had a thunderstorm in the afternoon. I happened to be out shopping but just got a few sprinkles as I was walking into & out of the groc. stores. However, as I finished getting gas, there was a cloudburst. Fortunately, I'd just paid & was getting in my car when the wind & driving rain started. It really came down. By the time I got home, it had quit.

Still no sewing done yest. In the a.m. DH had his dental appt. It sounds like he needs considerable work done. Not sure how much he'll consent to have done. I go back in a few days to get the "treatment plan" & an estimate of cost.

My DIL in MD was let go from her job this week. It was a business decision, nothing related to her performance. She's not the only one who was let go.

This a.m. I'll be in the kitchen mixing up my turkey patties. I hope to get to the sewing room some time this week end. I hope everyone has a good week end.

MaggieSue
June 16th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Good morning. We are expecting some rain this morning. I was able to complete a commissioned pillow with a photo yesterday and hope to complete the 2nd one. I will not allow myself to do any of my projects once I accept a commission. So I am looking forward to getting this completed today. Will go to my mothers house and set up her medication for the week and see how she is doing. Hope all have a great day!!!

Hope your DIL is able to find employment. Even if it was not performance related it does let one down.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 16th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Good morning Joy,
It sounds like the weather can't make up its mind which way to go. I would have issues with such high temperatures. Hopefully when it rains, it cools things down a bit. Sorry to hear about your DIL. Hopefully she will land on her feet and find another job soon.

I had a fantastic day yesterday with my girlfriend Pat on our road trip. We found the backing for her quilt at the first store we went to. I also picked up some beautiful fabrics at 40% off. From that point on, it was all about shopping and exploring the town and villages by the St-Lawrence Seaway. I found a lovely antique chair for the kitchen. I don't have antiques but this one reminded me of the one that I bought at an auction for .25 with my grandma when I was a kid. I painted it purple and loved it. I picked up an umbrella, which I collect, with black and white stripes. When it get wet, the white changes to a rainbow of colours. We stopped and had Lancaster perch rolls at a roadside diner. Yummy. Picked up some lawn ornaments at gift boutique. We also hit some nice clothing stores, and I bought 3 tops. Pat did alright also. She picked up some tops, a dress and Jean capris, as well as gifts for birthdays. The weather was terrific, and some of the drive we followed the water, which boasts beautiful homes along the shore. Then we headed home and had dinner of seafood chowder and cod cakes, with wine. It was a 12 hour shift, 9 to 9.

When we got home, husband loved our purchases and was all excited to tell us how he spent his day. No, he didn't open the pond, set up the fountain or check on the boat, and oh, forgot to do the cat litter too. Instead he went on a road trip to find the gliding club, which he did on a small county road. He was excited to say he was going up for his first lesson today. He was just like a kid, you have to realize it takes a lot to get him excited. So he's really going ahead with fulfilling this dream. I realize he is starting to empty his bucket list.

Well, have to get ready to go soon. Have a good day.

KPH
June 16th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Good Morning All,

Joy, I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's dental issues. I know Howard refused to even go to the dentist. I know it contributed to his demise. I hope your DIL finds something to do that will bring her great joy.

I managed to get the pillow cases made for my bedroom. They look so much better sitting up there than the cream colored flannel pillowcases that we found ages ago. I used the big print from the Aflutter line, so you have the pinks, purples and blues from the quilt, and the same blue print that I used for the outer border on the quilt. I'm pleased with it (other than I certainly failed to center the quilt on the bed when I made it back up yesterday.)

DS#1 took me to Lowe's yesterday. I replenished the bird seed. I don't know why, but those silly birds don't like the bird feeder, but will go through those bricks like there's no tomorrow! I had a small dove and cardinal sharing out there this morning, along with several tit mouse pairs. What a treat to watch them interact.

I was thrilled this morning when the garbage truck pulled up. The bulk pick up was supposed to be Wednesday. I'd pushed out Howard's tool box, but someone picked up all three sections of that. I'm glad it wasn't there to be taken to the dump. All of the stuff that Howard left stacked beside the house (broken down cardboard boxes, wood left from the previous owners, and a bunch of dry rotted garden hoses) are all gone now. I guess I'll ask the guy that does my yard work when the best time to sprinkle out some grass seed is, because where all that stuff was is barren looking now.

I picked up the daily deal this morning. With a layer cake, I should be able to get a couple of good baby quilts. I'm not sure what pattern to choose from! If nothing else, I can get the tops made and ready for backing when needed. I noticed another baby bump at church last week.

Suzanne, I need to go shopping with you. Jonathan sat in the little rocker the other day. The floor lamp went crashing and landed on my great grandmother's Rosewood vase. I need a new vase to fix those flowers back in, but I don't want anything glass! The lamps I replaced Wednesday, but currently the flowers are in a white trash bag waiting for a new vessel.

Well, Secret Santa projects are on my to do list today. I hope everybody has a great weekend. Happy Father's Day. I'm just hoping to hold it all together.

Prayers for those in need. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

Cathy F
June 16th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Morning all,
Just getting to the forum and catching up on some of the threads. Been in the kitchen all morning making pasta salad with tuna and potato salad for our barbeque tomorrow. It's warm out so wanted to get the cooking done early before the kitchen gets too warm.

Well, we had a new visitor to the yard yesterday one my husband was not too thrilled to see. We've seen a groundhog in the back woods on our property but he's never come out to the open property till yesterday. Boy, is he large!! I thought he was pretty cute especially when he stood up on his back legs to look around. My husband is content to let him live in the woods and burrow back there where no one goes but thinks he's going to visit the vegetable planters so he is not that enamored with him. We certainly don't want him burrowing near the house so my husband went out and was going to chase him back to the woods. I have two large ferral cats and the groundhog is bigger than them. One is twelve and the other is 10 and neither one of them cared to be bothered with him. They're at the age their hunting days are over and happy getting their two meals a day catered on a plate!

Did a bit of work in the sewing room yesterday hopefully the progress will keep moving!

Wishing everyone a good weekend!

Jean Sewing Machine
June 16th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Good morning, friends! Trying to get motivated to work on some half finished projects after a three day marathon costume sewing session earlier this week. My friend and fellow costumer called in the favors as she needed to create about 40 kids costumes for Jungle Book Jr. for a kids theatre group she works with. We got them finished with about 15 minutes to spare! Now I need to quilt and bind a baby quilt, finish a NCW, start a leather tote and tackle several t shirt quilts. Monday, I am taking on a sewing student, and potential costume cohort! Hope she is a quick study! Never a moments rest! It's hot here, I got in my walking early today and plan on spending the rest of the day in the cool basement sewingroom! Started to use the Fitbit tracker that I got for my birthday in September and finding it to be quite the motivator! I'm getting my 10000 steps in daily, although sometimes I need to walk in circles around my house to get those last 100s in! Better than sitting on my rumpus!

Have a great day! Hey, I fell for that darling Daily Deal!

MissMay
June 16th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Lovely day today, DS#3 is here with his son to wish my DH a Happy Father's Day. As soon as everyone has eaten a late breakfast I'm getting them to put the awning up over the deck. Their reward for helping Day/Grandpa is a big meal of sausage & peppers, zucchini casserole (a fave of theirs) and some fresh corn followed by strawberry shortcake. That should keep them satisfied and full on their trip back to MA later tonight. Tomorrow's celebrate will be lunch at Long Horn's with 2 older sons who live here in Jersey. Monday will be DIET DAY for DH and I.

JCY
June 16th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Well, here's an interesting twist to my DIL's job situation: She was the HR mgr. -- the only HR person at this gov't. contracting co. They asked her if she'd be willing to work 2 more weeks, then take a 2 week severance. She agreed. It turns out she isn't the only employee being let go. Two other overhead staff were let go, including the husb. of the woman who had recommended her for the job. He'd been with the co. 19 yrs. She called my DIL & apologized, even though there is no way for her to have known the co. was in trouble. The remaining HQ employees all are very nervous. They just lost 4 people from a contract, & those people will be terminating next week. My DIL will be doing the out-processing. Rather ironic, huh. I don't think she'll have any trouble finding another job. She's very qualified.

We're still getting a lot of hazy skies from the wildfires in Colo. as well as neighboring states. There was a fire in Moab, UT & one on the WY/CO border. The fire near Durango keeps spreading. It's burned >33,000 acres & is only 18% contained.

I still haven't made it to the sewing room. Maybe later today.

Monique
June 16th, 2018, 05:53 PM
I am late to the party but it is a hot beautiful day filled with lots of sunshine. We went to an auction sale this morning. There was a really nice Singer treadle machine in a beautiful cabinet. No, I didn't get it, I don't need another machine. I have never seen one in such a cabinet. Hubby bought a red lantern that he will 'try' to spray paint. Drove around for a while, picked up some supper at Walmart. We are invited to a wedding reception tonight but I don't think we will be attending. Phil didn't come home today either. He is having serious problems with his knee that will have to be looked at by an orthopedic surgeon. I reset our live trap to try and catch a raccoon.

I think tomorrow is another road trip with our friend Lynda. Another antique dealer.

AND it looks like I got the okay to attend that 'private' retreat late next week. WOOHOO happy camper!!

201 Treadler
June 16th, 2018, 06:32 PM
happy late Saturday evening greetings,
today has been scary, it became very dark outside,there was a distant rumbling, that got louder, then flashes of lightening, the electric went off, the windows started rattling with the rumbling then the sudden bang of the storm over head, this made me jump, followed by stair rods (heavy force rain drops) hitting the roof, wow what a storm, thankfully the thundering passed quickly. while power was off, decided to make a card for tomorrow using the 201 treadle card shown in pictures, The electric came back on 2 hours later.

KPH
June 16th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Glad you're alright Treadler! We had a storm pass through earlier, it just made the dish go out.

The oldest called this morning, he needed to go to Harbor Freight and Lowe's. It's as good as any time to get out of the house, for what ever reason. lol, After his purchases, I invited him to lunch, I hadn't eaten and I was getting hungry! I took him to Cracker Barrel and he mentioned that he wasn't ready to go home. So we went to Target and I picked up a smarter than I am phone. At least I'll have texts now, and sooner or later I'll figure out the rest of the stuff I want to do on it.

We stopped by the storage place, apparently I don't have a key for the lock on my key chain. Who knew! We were going to bring home a couple of boxes to go through. I figure a few at a time is all I can handle anyway. I told Jim that I knew there was a key for it on his Dad's keychain. We called Mike and found out the number of the key so we'll be sure to take it next time.

Here comes the rain again. Have a great evening everyone.

MaryUK
June 16th, 2018, 07:51 PM
I've just returned from holiday - 10 days in Malta, such a lovely island, would love to go back again to explore some more.

I've managed to pop into the forum a little but we were so busy!! I had taken some EPP and Sashiko embroidery with me but only had time for a little embroidery, oh well it's something I can continue in the evenings now I'm home.

Probably won't get into the sewing room until Monday as it's church tomorrow morning and music practice in the afternoon but I know I have plenty waiting for me!!

Hope you all have a lovely day. Hugs and best wishes to those in need.

Navy Wife
June 16th, 2018, 11:24 PM
The day is almost over, but I will put in a few words. No sewing, but I have to quilt the baby quilt Monday. It was a hot and dry day here...96 for the high. I had to pick up a few things at the grocery store. Then stayed in the rest of the day.

We have a rabbit who has a burrow somewhere close by. It came by this morning and cleaned up all the seeds under the bird feeder. The cat was fascinated. She doesn't see other animals very often. Our son brings their little dog over, but he's still a puppy and doesn't have good manners yet. One bark, and Ellie runs under the bed!

Boys will be here for dinner tomorrow. DH wanted to cook, so I will let him, ha,ha! I will be making 2 salads and cooking rice and cutting up strawberries for dessert!