PDA

View Full Version : Friday Trivia: Pedestrian Bridge

Star lover
June 15th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Definitely not for the faint-hearted:

The world's longest pedestrian suspension bridge is the Europaweg Skywalk, spanning 1,621 feet across the Grabengufer ravine in the Pennine Alps of Switzerland. Situated at 7,218 feet above sea level, at its highest point, the bridge is 282 feet above the ground — about the same height as a 28-story building.

Should you decide to traverse it, as many hikers have done since it opened in July 2017, you'll be walking single-file and, because the bridge is just 25.6 inches wide, you'll have to turn sideways to make way for oncoming pedestrians.

It replaces a much shorter and lower nearby bridge which was destroyed by rockfall in 2010, just two months after its opening Since the closure of the old bridge, hikers on the Europaweg, the scenic hiking route between Grächen and Zermatt in the Pennine Alps, were forced to make a three- to four-hour detour. The new bridge now gracefully spans the Grabengufer, a wide rock-strewn ravine below the Grabenhorn and just beyond the Europahütte, an overnight stop on the Europaweg.

Gulp!!! Nope, nada, no way! Not for me......terrified of heights!

auntstuff
June 15th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Maybe...but not on a windy day!

grammaterry
June 15th, 2018, 09:47 AM
amazing all the wonderful things we can see and do

Monique
June 15th, 2018, 12:26 PM
It would not be me either.

Caroline T.
June 15th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I get the Heeby Jeebies just looking at the picture.

EnumclawGramma
June 15th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Yeah, you go on ahead. When you get back I'll be here with sandwiches and a nice chilled wine. Buh Bye!

JCY
June 15th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Yikes! Not for me either.