PDA

View Full Version : Monday a new day and the start of a new weekGood

Monique
June 11th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Good morning friends. It is a beautiful bright sunny start to the day. OH POOP!! I have to work. I would rather be here doing something sewing related but heck a girl has to make money to buy more fabric, hehehe.

I had a relatively quiet weekend. Saturday I was on my own for the day. Went to a garage sale and came away with some iron on transfers, scale papers that can be used for foundation piecing and a bed spread. Changed the spare bedroom around to make more space and that worked out fine. Yesterday we were out of the house by 8 I think it was. Motorcycle club came to town so hubby 'had' to get away. So we ended up in the city and also attended a remembrance service for a lady. I didn't know her very well, but it was at the bar where she spent a lot of her time.

I have been invited to a 'private' retreat next week at a home of a friends. Can't make it for the first half of the week, but possibly could for the later half. Will have to think on that.

Have a great day friends.

grammaterry
June 11th, 2018, 08:47 AM
You are such a busy woman and I think your DH must be so cool. You seem to have so many places to go and people to see. MY DH doesn't ever want to go anywhere and I am feeling like I need a little social interaction.
Depresssion is settleing in on me. The rest of the down payment on the restaurant was due June 1 and it isn't here. He told us he is wiring it but I am getting nervous.
Yesterday I put a coat of paint on the new door. Maybe I'll finish it today. I tried to sew but cannot focus. I seem to just wander aimlessly. I know that DH is stressed out as well.
Maybe the wire will come in today. Keep your fingers crossed.

JCY
June 11th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ Terry, I hope you get the restaurant payment ok. It's too bad you're so far from town. Some social interaction sounds like just what you need. If I lived in your neck of the woods, we could make arrangements to go to lunch or something. Thinking of you.

Another skunk in the 'hood last night. I had been asleep barely 30 min. when the odor filled my BR. Yuck! I had to turn off the attic fan so it wouldn't suck in the stink, & it was such a warm night. I reversed my BR fan to blow the odor outside & was able to go back to sleep. This a.m. is our warmest yet, 70 deg. Hopefully the prediction for 80's today is on target. Yest. it was 103 at our house! Miserably hot. The evap. cooler keeps the house comfortable.

I accomplished more FMQ yest. afternoon & eve. After my hand starts to tingle, I switch to piecing. I had a stack of already made HSTs which I laid out on the floor like Jenny's last tutorial. I sewed together several blocks. It will make a crib size.

I'm planning to do some weeding this a.m. so I can get the trash in the toter before the garbage truck comes by. Two hrs. is about all I'm good for. Time for DH's breakfast.

Simply Quilting
June 11th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Busy day on the schedule for today. Dh had two funerals that he needed to go to but can only make one since they are located an hour apart and start an hour apart. He picked which one he felt he needed to go to the most. Today I am going to try to get some elephants traced onto steam a steam 2 for a quilt. The project that I started on Saturday is on hold until I get more fabric - the layer cake was short one piece. Not a big deal as I know the issue will be corrected and the fabric is a new enough line that fabric is still available.

If you want to know how the Missouri Star Academy went, click over to this link for a review https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=77324

I had better get around for the day.

Have a wonderful Monday everyone :)

KPH
June 11th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Good Morning All,

I rolled over this morning, turning my back to the window and went back to sleep. I must have needed it because it was well after 8 before I woke again.

Coffee and a cinnamon bun later, I'm thinking about what I'd like to get done today. I need to wash the storm door and sliding glass doors and the cleaning in the great room will be finished. Then I need to start on the last three rooms. Thank goodness they're all little.

Mike was feeling a lot better last night when he got home from work. I don't think they abused his shoulder yesterday and hopefully they'll make sure he has the help he needs on moving those big items out the door and into vehicles. From what I'm reading, the end of the month will be the end of Toys R Us here in the States. He got a stack of legal documents Saturday. I told him to keep them, if he has any more problems with his shoulder, he could have to file a workman's comp claim and those papers would be his only recourse.

Our Women's Bible Study last night was filled with moments of enlightenment. Nana and I were talking on the way home the different points made that we'd never connected before. Neither one of us are spring chickens, and we've both grown up in homes where Bible study was valued. So those connections really sparked something in both of us. I was taking notes and couldn't get things down fast enough! My hands couldn't keep up with the speakers points!

We managed to have a nice rain shower yesterday afternoon. I hope we have another today. I really need to get the irrigation system to the place where I can use it. That means the garage has to be finished so I can move one cabinet. One thing Howard was wanting to do was build a wall at the end of the garage to make it so we could get to the washer and dryer without having to deal with the heat of the garage. I've been thinking about that and those two cabinets that are in front of the irrigation system. Jim won't have time to deal with any of that this summer, so I have plenty of time to figure out what makes the most sense.

I'd best get started doing something. Apparently, I don't have the right nose twitching action to make them clean themselves.

Prayers for those in need. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

MissMay
June 11th, 2018, 10:32 AM
DH and I had a very quiet weekend after a very full day on Friday when my 2 sisters & I met our 2 long lost cousins, Frank and Joe. Frank lives in VA and had come to NJ for his FIL's funeral and although we have been in contact by email and phone for a few years my sisters and I took the unexpected opportunity to met him and his wife in person. A quick call to Joe in north NJ and he changed his plans and we were all set to meet at Frank's hotel for lunch and hours of talk.

Our 3 fathers had a feud that began in 1959 when my grandfather died, something none of us children had any control over but suffered the consequences of. Although they both are in their early 60s while talking I saw so many features and expressions so familiar to me of other family members. We all grew up in Brooklyn, Joe only a few blocks away but we never knowling saw each other. Emotionally I was wiped out when DH and I returned home and it took the rest of the weekend to recover. Here's wishing a new happy relationship is formed between all of us. I had hoped to have a group photo to post by now, will post it as soon as my sister sends me one that she took with her phone.

PS: Frank's wife is a quilter! Here's a photo of the quilt she and her guild members made for the Pentagon's 9/11 memorial. That's Frank on the right and his daughter and his wife and the museums director on the left.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 11th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Good morning everyone,

Terry, I hope you get your money soon. Hopefully, you have legal recourse. I do wish you were closer, we could definitely hang out. I would take you on short road trips. There is nothing better for the soul. I know I want to travel more, but we can't with DH business right now, but hopefully in the near future. Enjoy the moment and carve out minutes of happy space.

It's going to be a slow moving day. I got over 9 1/2 hours sleep, before I had beloved PJ meowing in my ears. I got up and folded a lot of laundry, emptied dishwasher, feed the cats, now on my 2nd cup of coffee. I am stiff and sore from yardwork (6hrs) on Saturday and another 4hrs yesterday. I picked up the tomato, pepper, cucumbers plants and spices yesterday. My girlfriend has been itching to help me with yardwork so we planted those together. Then we went to another nursery to pick up some rosemary, which was sold out at the 1st nursery. The yard is starting to look good. Saturday, DH and I set up the canopy, and it was nice to sit there yesterday with Pat, enjoying some Girls' Night Out sangria. It's beginning to feel like summer.

Today, I will de-weed another small bed in the yard, and prune the mother yucca plant. The offshoots I planted a few years ago will be flowering in a few weeks. I love yucca. Easy to care for, and they survive our winters.

I am hoping to cut and attach the border on quatrefoil today. A few more loads of laundry to do. And that's about it before I get wiped.

Have a good day everyone, and happy birthday to Jenny. Unfortunately, I won't be taking advantage of the DD, as I am still waiting for orders 25 days and 12 days ago. These delays are definitely going to cure me from placing any future M*order. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice- thrice, shame on me.

KarenC
June 11th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Good morning everyone. Suzanne, I think I would be holding off too.

My friend I've been caring for is back in the hospital, so I am back to watching the baby today. I'm worn out. Finally got her down for a nap. I may need to take one too.
Terry, I sure hope your deposit comes through today. That must be nerve wracking.
Today is another warm day, but that's to be expected here in Houston. Well I guess I need to straighten up and put away the toys before the Lil princess wakes up and pulls it all out again. Hope all have a good day.

KPH
June 11th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Good morning everyone,

Terry, I hope you get your money soon. Hopefully, you have legal recourse. I do wish you were closer, we could definitely hang out. I would take you on short road trips. There is nothing better for the soul. I know I want to travel more, but we can't with DH business right now, but hopefully in the near future. Enjoy the moment and carve out minutes of happy space.

It's going to be a slow moving day. I got over 9 1/2 hours sleep, before I had beloved PJ meowing in my ears. I got up and folded a lot of laundry, emptied dishwasher, feed the cats, now on my 2nd cup of coffee. I am stiff and sore from yardwork (6hrs) on Saturday and another 4hrs yesterday. I picked up the tomato, pepper, cucumbers plants and spices yesterday. My girlfriend has been itching to help me with yardwork so we planted those together. Then we went to another nursery to pick up some rosemary, which was sold out at the 1st nursery. The yard is starting to look good. Saturday, DH and I set up the canopy, and it was nice to sit there yesterday with Pat, enjoying some Girls' Night Out sangria. It's beginning to feel like summer.

Today, I will de-weed another small bed in the yard, and prune the mother yucca plant. The offshoots I planted a few years ago will be flowering in a few weeks. I love yucca. Easy to care for, and they survive our winters.

I am hoping to cut and attach the border on quatrefoil today. A few more loads of laundry to do. And that's about it before I get wiped.

Have a good day everyone, and happy birthday to Jenny. Unfortunately, I won't be taking advantage of the DD, as I am still waiting for orders 25 days and 12 days ago. These delays are definitely going to cure me from placing any future M*order. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice- thrice, shame on me.

I've been watching the tracking on my last order. It's spent the last 4 days in three towns in Georgia... cross the line already! lol I really feel for M* and hope they find a better shipping solution quickly. This is getting old.

201 Treadler
June 11th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Hi everyone
its tea time over in the UK,
life has moved on in unexpected ways
there has been more visits to hospital, the positive was spotting a fabulous applique quilt in a case, in the entrance, think it is a religious/ roman theme but the amount of work that has been put into it, is awesome.

made some seat covers after a steam cleaning a new to us car. The car seats had some erm interesting stuff on them that wouldn't remove with normal seat cleaners. everything was very sticky. the sticky has gone now.
while waiting for the turn with the doc, been making crochet slippers / ankle socks pattern was from a love crochet mag.
missed being on here, just been catching up with all the fabulous makes and life flips and turns,
hope you all have a wonderful day, and the weather,ect. is kind to you all.
gentle hugs to all :D xx

JCY
June 11th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Suzanne ~ 6 hrs. of yard work! I wouldn't be able to move! It was a wonderfully cooler a.m. with a breeze. I ate an earlier than usual breakfast & was outside by 8:45. I put in 2 hrs. worth of weeding in the flower bed. That's my limit. I got the 2 trash bags out before the garbage truck came by. The area where I worked looks so much better, but there is soooo much left to do! (I have 8 flower beds.) There is a very invasive "flower" that has been a problem for years. It's something my previous neighbor planted years ago; it tunneled under the chain link fence. She apologized, but the damage was done. It spreads underground with all the rhizomes & roots & pops up everywhere, even in the middle of perennials. I hate it! I've never been able to get rid of it -- just keep doing damage control. Can't spray it; it's too close to other flowers. One other problem is there is a 9-12" space between my chain link fence the white plastic privacy fence she installed some years ago. It's impossible to reach all the weeds that come up in that space. I reach through the chain link fence as much as I can, but I still can't reach everything. Very frustrating. But little by little, maybe I can make some head way.

I'm ready for some sewing!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 11th, 2018, 07:37 PM
I've been watching the tracking on my last order. It's spent the last 4 days in three towns in Georgia... cross the line already! lol I really feel for M* and hope they find a better shipping solution quickly. This is getting old.

The last info on the 1st order is that is was headed to US facility in May 31. I think it is lost forever.

Simply Quilting
June 11th, 2018, 08:31 PM

Sadly, it is the shipping business anymore. I have had packages travel all of the US. One of the most frustrating is when it hits the closest distribution center then is suddenly takes off cross country. One of the worst issues that I ever had was with a shipment of homeschooling books (over $800 worth), I had waited around most of the day then had to go run and an errand. When I got back home and checked the computer, it said delivered. It was NOT at my house or the neighbors. So I had to wait til morning to call the delivery company. Turns out the delivery guy just dropped it off at a random house in town because he claimed my address did not exist.

LauraP
June 11th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Finally got back home after a week at my youngest daughters house. Her husband left the first of May for the war zone and she has been in a major funk. Understandable! Anyway, I cleaned her house, did her laundry, rearranged the furniture, helped her sort clothes, and babied her a little as a present to her. As I was leaving she laughed and said, "You know I'm going to put the furniture back as soon as you are gone!" We laughed cuz it's true but at least it helped her out of her funk. Now next time I go to see her we can concentrate on having fun.
Oh yeah, I taught her how to use a sewing machine and she made a really cute apron for her sister. And we started cutting jeans into strips for a quilt.

chelea
June 12th, 2018, 01:11 AM
Joy, I have 8 flower beds too and have gotten to just 4 of them so far...seems I don't have the patience or interest this year. I would much rather be sewing. I also have a weed I can't eradicate and it behaves the same way. So many tiny roots I can never get it all. I asked our lawn guy what it was and he couldn't identify it. He told me to wait for a windless day and spray it with Round-Up. I even covered the whole area with newspaper and a 4" layer of mulch after the Round-Up. It helped some but this year it's back with a vengeance.
Regarding MSQC shipping, I'm sad to say that I order far less because of it and I haven't sent a quilt to be quilted in a very long time because that is so slow too. Maybe they're too big for their britches as my grandmother would say.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 12th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Suzanne ~ 6 hrs. of yard work! I wouldn't be able to move! It was a wonderfully cooler a.m. with a breeze. I ate an earlier than usual breakfast & was outside by 8:45. I put in 2 hrs. worth of weeding in the flower bed. That's my limit. I got the 2 trash bags out before the garbage truck came by. The area where I worked looks so much better, but there is soooo much left to do! (I have 8 flower beds.) There is a very invasive "flower" that has been a problem for years. It's something my previous neighbor planted years ago; it tunneled under the chain link fence. She apologized, but the damage was done. It spreads underground with all the rhizomes & roots & pops up everywhere, even in the middle of perennials. I hate it! I've never been able to get rid of it -- just keep doing damage control. Can't spray it; it's too close to other flowers. One other problem is there is a 9-12" space between my chain link fence the white plastic privacy fence she installed some years ago. It's impossible to reach all the weeds that come up in that space. I reach through the chain link fence as much as I can, but I still can't reach everything. Very frustrating. But little by little, maybe I can make some head way.

I'm ready for some sewing!

I was stiff and sore, but I am very careful not to make twists and turns or my back will be toast. I feel your pain for invasive flower. In another house, a neighbour planted a creeping plant which was a nuisance to remove. We i t the bullet and removed our plants, then spread bag of salt (for water softening) all over the soil and on the roots. It eventually died both on our side and theirs. For the weeds between the fences, you might mix vinegar, salt and few drop of Dawn dish liquid. Mix and squirt in an old ketchup bottle. It's safe for other plants and grass as long as you just get the weeds. Good luck.