PDA

View Full Version : Sewing Machine Discussion

donnacee
February 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM
I only just introduced myself and already I'm stirring the pot. Would the forum benefit from a Discussion dedicated just to sewing machines? Perhaps breaking it down to brands ie Bernina, Janome etc and a separate discussion for Featherweights. At some time everyone needs help with a machine, especially if you get a new one. I just got a new Brother SQ9000 after sewing on the same Bernina for 32 years. Boy talk about culture shock! I wound up logging onto about 6 websites just to get the bobbin in right. I'm usually not so mechanically inept but I was completely stumped. Now I have a question about oiling. I'm fanatical about cleaning my machine and do so after every project (as well as changing the needle) and the Brother's manual says NOT to oil ANYTHING, EVER. What's everyone's take on this? Thanks for your input.
Donna

jingleme
February 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I love this idea. I usually go here for all things vintage machines.....but don't know where to go for newer ones
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/

rebeccas-sewing
February 15th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Do not oil the machine! Follow what your manual says. Most of today's machines don't require oiling. If you're asking if we need a sewing machine category I don't think it's necessary. There are always questions about machines and there are always folks on here willing to answer those questions. When you're on here for a while you'll see questions pop up regarding various topics related to our machines. If you have a question don't hesitate to ask. Believe me, the active members are always more than willing to give their opinions. That would include moi! This reply is proof! Hahahha!!!

rebeccas-sewing
February 15th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Somebody mentioned a "Tips" section. I think that would be great. I've gotten so many tips from the Fons and Porter site. BTW - the videos of their shows are no longer free - bummer. I went on there to review a video I saw and they've changed the format and now charge $2.99 per month or $19.99 per year to view their videos. I do have to say, what they are charging is very little compared to all one can learn from them.

sunnyQLDmum
February 15th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Somebody mentioned a "Tips" section. I think that would be great. I've gotten so many tips from the Fons and Porter site. BTW - the videos of their shows are no longer free - bummer. I went on there to review a video I saw and they've changed the format and now charge $2.99 per month or $19.99 per year to view their videos. I do have to say, what they are charging is very little compared to all one can learn from them.

I went to their site yesterday after a friend recommended it and found this out for myself. We do not get the TV show here in Aus so I was not sure if it would be worth me spending the money or not. I might just pay the $2.99 and invite the girls from my sewing/quilting group over to watch too and see what we think

Bubby
February 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I have been using the same electronic/computerized machine, a New Home Memory Craft 4000, for 20 years and it has never been oiled or serviced. New Home is now Janome. I religiously remove the lint from the areas I can reach and change the needle after every project. I figure if it isn't broke don't try to fix it! It's been a terrific machine. :)

Genny
February 15th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I only just introduced myself and already I'm stirring the pot. Would the forum benefit from a Discussion dedicated just to sewing machines? Perhaps breaking it down to brands ie Bernina, Janome etc and a separate discussion for Featherweights. At some time everyone needs help with a machine, especially if you get a new one. I just got a new Brother SQ9000 after sewing on the same Bernina for 32 years. Boy talk about culture shock! I wound up logging onto about 6 websites just to get the bobbin in right. I'm usually not so mechanically inept but I was completely stumped. Now I have a question about oiling. I'm fanatical about cleaning my machine and do so after every project (as well as changing the needle) and the Brother's manual says NOT to oil ANYTHING, EVER. What's everyone's take on this? Thanks for your input.
Donna

I actually love this idea! It would be great to talk with others about our machines and get some "How To Do That" ideas.

melinda in tulsa
February 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Contrary to what the sewing machine manual's tell you, there are places on your machine that need regular oiling. On a vertical bobbin machine, it needs a drop in the hook. On a horizontal, under the bobbin case there is a little spot that needs a drop of oil. I also clean out the bobbin area and under the feed dogs with every bobbin change.