PDA

View Full Version : Anyone making pillowcases for Hawaii?

Judy, USMC
June 6th, 2018, 04:12 AM
I've been following the lava damage in the Puna district of the island of Hawaii. There is a very well organized grass roots effort that is providing immediate support to the displaced residents. It's called Pu'uhonua o Puna and they have a Facebook page. One thing I keep on seeing is a request for pillowcases. I've done an internet search and can't find any person or group spearheading a pillowcase drive for the kids.

I've gotten a few done - do you know of anyone gathering them here stateside and sending them on to Hawaii?

MissMay
June 6th, 2018, 09:21 AM
No, Hope someone knows of a group that does. Pillowcases are used as luggage for the victims, they are an easy to carry lightweight place to carry their belongings.

auntiemern
June 7th, 2018, 12:21 AM
I posted the question on their FB page. Hoping to get a response. Would love to send some too.

Hulamoon
June 7th, 2018, 12:37 AM
I think most people evacuated and some are getting arrested for staying and will have to pay for rescue because they refused to leave and there is no way out in certain areas. They don't need pillow cases, they need help from FEMA and some common sense. Sorry, but I see the local news every day and they are stubborn. Make the cases for Guatemala.

Judy, USMC
June 7th, 2018, 02:14 AM
Lorie - beg to differ but Pu'uhonua o Puna (aka The Hub) is still listing pillowcase donations on their Facebook page. Kapoho area (Beach Lots and Vacationland about 500 homes in that area) residents did evacuate with what they could fit in their vehicle. Bedding and household items were left behind. Many who have evacuated are going to The Hub for essentials - food, camp stoves, tents, tarps, flashlights, cots, linens, etc. Some of them lived off the grid and added to the fact that AT&T internet went down at the end of last month their monitoring of the situation was somewhat limited ... they are not being charged for their rescue. Farmlands area farmers who stayed to tend their livestock have been rescued (no charge or fines) by officials but no rescue of their stock. These families have no home to go back to ...

The only people who will be charged are those in eastern half of Leilani Estates who are under mandatory evacuation. And there are access roads for them to use.

I do feel sorry for the Guatemalan volcano victims. But I'm Hanai (adopted by alovely family when I lived there for 3 years) and I feel I have to malama (care for) the people who accepted me so graciously. It's the kids who have been uprooted and have no home to return to - along with friends they may never see again - that I want to support. The world is watching Guatemala - but since the Hawaii eruption is so slow it isn't getting global attention. And you are right - FEMA is moving very slowly. Unless evacuees have someone to stay with, FEMA is not offering immediate assistance that I'm aware of.

Felt the need to present my reasoning for wanting to get the cases to Hawaii.