PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: Arizona

Star lover
June 5th, 2018, 07:23 AM
Some interesting information about Arizona:

- The Arizona trout is found only in the Arizona.

- The saguaro cactus blossom is the official state flower. Its name means green stick. The white flower blooms on the tips of the saguaro cactus during May and June. The saguaro is the largest American cactus. The age of a saguaro cactus is determined by its height. If you cut down an endangered cactus like this Saguaro in Arizona, you could face up to a year in prison. It can take up to 100 years for a Saguaro cactus to grow an arm in areas of low precipitation.

- Arizona leads the nation in copper production.

- Petrified wood is the official state fossil. Most petrified wood comes from the Petrified Forest in northeastern Arizona.

- The cactus wren is the official state bird. It grows seven to eight inches long and likes to build nests in the protection of thorny desert plants like the arms of the giant saguaro cactus.

- Turquoise is the official state gemstone. The blue-green stone has a somewhat waxy surface and can be found throughout the state.

- Arizona is home of the Grand Canyon National Park.

- The ringtail is the official state mammal. The ringtail is a small fox-like animal about two and one-half feet long and is a shy, nocturnal creature.

- The amount of copper on the roof of the Capitol building is equivalent to 4,800,000 pennies.

- Arizona observes Mountain Standard Time on a year round basis. The one exception is the Navajo Nation, located in the northeast corner of the state, which observes the daylight savings time change.

- The battleship USS Arizona was named in honor of the state. It was commissioned in 1913 and launched in 1915 from the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

- World War II brought many military personnel to train at Luke and Thunderbird fields in Glendale.

- The Castilian and Burgundian flags of Spain, the Mexican flag, the Confederate flag, and the flag of the United States have all flown over the land area that has become Arizona.

- In 1926, the Southern Pacific Railroad connected Arizona with the eastern states.

- Bisbee, located in Tombstone Canyon, is known as the Queen of the Copper Mines. During its mining history the town was the largest city between Saint Louis and San Francisco.

- The state's most popular natural wonders include the Grand Canyon, Havasu Canyon, Grand Canyon Caves, Lake Powell/Rainbow Bridge, Petrified Forest/Painted Desert, Monument Valley, Sunset Crater, Meteor Crater, Sedona Oak Creek Canyon, Salt River Canyon, Superstition Mountains, Picacho Peak State Park, Saguaro National Park, Chiricahua National Monument, and the Colorado River.

- The original London Bridge was shipped stone-by-stone and reconstructed in Lake Havasu City.

- The Arizona ridge-nosed rattlesnake is perhaps the most beautiful of all eleven species of rattlesnakes found in Arizona.

- Located in Fountain Hills is a fountain believed to be the tallest in the world.

- Four Corners is noted as the spot in the United States where a person can stand in four states at the same time.

- Arizona, among all the states, has the largest percentage of its land set aside and designated as Indian lands.

- Rising to a height of 12,643 feet, Mount Humphreys north of Flagstaff is the state's highest mountain.

- Barry Goldwater, a famous public official, senator, and presidential candidate was born in Phoenix.

- In 1939 architect Frank Lloyd Wright's studio, Taliesin West, was built near Phoenix.

-Oraibi is the oldest Indian settlement in the United States. The Hopis Indians founded it.

- Grand Canyon's Flaming Gorge got its name for its blazing red and orange colored, twelve-hundred-foot-high walls.
Grand Canyon's Disaster Falls was named to commemorate the site of a previous explorer's wreck.
Grand Canyon's Marble Canyon got its name from its thousand-foot-thick seam of marble and for its walls eroded to a polished glass finish.

- Arizona became the 48th state on February 14, 1912.

- Women in Arizona were granted the right to vote eight years before national suffrage.

- The world's largest solar telescope is located at Kitts Peak National Observatory in the city of Sells.

- At one time camels were used to transport goods across Arizona.

- Between the years 1692 and 1711 Father Eusebio Kino focused on area missionary work. During the time many grain and stock farms began.

- A person from Arizona is called an Arizonan.

- Phoenix originated in 1866 as a hay camp to supply Camp McDowell.

- Tombstone, Ruby, Gillette, and Gunsight are among the ghost towns scattered throughout the state.

- The legendary 1881 Gunfight at the O.K. Corral in the Arizona Territory town of Tombstone is considered the most famous shootout in the American Old West, and lasted only 30 seconds.

- You can find roadrunners running up to 17mph from their enemies in Arizona. Dynamite-wielding coyotes remain harder to spot.

- Morton Salt has been mining a salt deposit in unincorporated Glendale since the mid-1980s that is about 40 square miles wide and more than half a mile thick.

- The world’s oldest rodeo is in Prescott—but the oldest continuous rodeo is in Payson.

- For a few hundred bucks a night you can sleep 22 stories underground in a hotel room of sorts in the Grand Canyon Caverns in Peach Springs. Not for claustrophobics.

- Most historians agree that the westernmost Civil War battle took place in 1862 at Picacho Pass, 50 miles northwest of Tucson.

- In 1956, two planes detoured over the Grand Canyon’s airspace for a better view and ended up colliding directly over the canyon. The FAA was created in 1958 as a result.

- According to the National Weather Service, the biggest snowfall ever recorded in Phoenix measured one inch—once in 1933 and again in 1937.

- The unexplained incident now known as “The Lights Over Phoenix” occurred on March 13, 1997 when Phoenix residents and even the governor claimed to have seen a stationary aircraft in their sky for 106 minutes described as “otherworldly.

- Arizona's name originated from the Spanish name, Arizonac, which in turn derived from an Indian word, alĭ ṣonak (meaning "small spring").

Tours you can take in Arizona ( Thank you Lori - Hulamoon!):

- Cerreta Candy Company: Glendale, AZ

- Desert Diamond Distillery located in Kingman AZ, this is the first craft distillery tasting room in AZ, although there are several by now.

- The Famed Airplane Graveyard / Bone Yard at Davis Monthan Airforce base in Tucson Arizona. Hundreds of B 52 Bombers await the smelter, as per the Salt 2 (Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty) treaty with Russia.

- Good Enough Mine Tour: Tombstone, AZ. Ed Schieffelin had a dry sense of humor. When he filed his first mining claim in 1877 he named it "Tombstone," because he'd been told that his tombstone was all that he would find in the parched, Apache-ruled hills of southeast Arizona. A year later, when he filed his second claim, he named it "Good Enough" because the silver ore was so rich that it was good enough to satisfy him.

- Karsten Manufacturing Corporation, Phoenix, AZ. Manufacture clubs.

- Queen Mine Tours, Bisbee, AZ

- Stuffington Bear Factory, Phoenix, AZ

Makes me want to go to Arizona someday! Enjoy!

Anitamae56
June 5th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Very interesting, thank you!

Monique
June 5th, 2018, 08:38 AM
SNAKES??????????????????

Thanks Anita.

Star lover
June 5th, 2018, 08:44 AM
SNAKES??????????????????

Thanks Anita.

Oh no....no snakes! Don't want to see any! But Arizona.....without snakes.....very interesting!

Bubby
June 5th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I have always loved the beauty of the state of Arizona. The roadrunners are so much fun to watch and talk about glorious sunrise and sunsets. Arizona is a picturesque state with a rich Native American culture. I could live there with no problem.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 5th, 2018, 09:15 AM
It's a place on my bucket list. Rich in culture, and surrounded in beauty, I would have to spend at least a few weeks there. DH has been many times, and talked about the 4 corners. He has his Lake Powell coffee cup, and has been collecting KoKopelli fabrics to make a quilt.

MissMay
June 5th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Oh no....no snakes! Don't want to see any! But Arizona.....without snakes.....very interesting!

Loved our trips to Arizona, wouldn't mind living there but the rattlesnakes makes me have 2nd thoughts.

FaintlyArtistic
June 5th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I have lived here for 23 years. Have seen 7 rattlers in the wild. You won't see them in densely populated areas, only outside the cities. Just have to be careful when out. I would make 1 correction to your trivia. Palo verde means green stick, not saguaro...

Star lover
June 5th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I have lived here for 23 years. Have seen 7 rattlers in the wild. You won't see them in densely populated areas, only outside the cities. Just have to be careful when out. I would make 1 correction to your trivia. Palo verde means green stick, not saguaro...

Mmmm, funny...you mention that. As I was doing this I saw paleo verde and then it disappeared.....mmmm, very weird......not sure what happened.

What I was trying to do was....

Palo Verde is Arizona's state tree.

FaintlyArtistic
June 8th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Yes, Palo verde is the state tree. Palo means stick and verde is Spanish for green. They are named that because the bark is green. It helps with chlorophyll production as the leaves are tiny.