PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to a dreary wet dark Monday

Monique
June 4th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Good morning everyone. I have missed you all. I was trying to play catch up and reading what you were doing.

I have the most wonderful time at retreat. I did not get out onto the lake with the paddle boat, no one wanted to join me, plus the mosquitoes and black flies were bad. I did get two quilts finished (they were missing the final borders) and I put together another butterfly quilt for my sister in law. Wednesday was a slow day as it was so beautiful outside I had a hard time concentrating. I wanted to be out so bad. The food was fabulous and the company was as well. I gave a tutorial on the keyhole quilt that Jenny did. We played fabric bingo and strip poker. And we laughed a lot.

Saturday was our Guild's Quilt show. I did get to see Suzanne again and had a little time to have a chat. I met her husband and friend. Isn't it wonderful when you can meet up with forum friends? I sold tickets in the morning and in the afternoon I was the, get this, QUILT POLICE!! I had to remind several people not to touch the quilts without gloves, I had to tell one person that the show hadn't started yet, she just walked right in, and another who had a coffee in her hand. Our next quilt show I will wear the Quilt Police Badge, hahaha.

And yesterday I unpacked the project suitcase. In the afternoon, I decided to cut grass in the area that hubby didn't do because there were a few trees down. WELL, I moved the fallen trees (they weren't that hard to move and not big either) to one side, picked up the broken branches and proceeded to cut. I am very stiff and sore this morning but the job got DONE!! BY ME!! What a novel idea, moving the branches? Who knew?

So today I have to work. I won't take any quilting with me, I have not prepared anything. But I will take something.

Have a wonderful day my friends.

Star lover
June 4th, 2018, 08:16 AM
GOOD Morning Monique! You were soooo missed! I'm happy you had such a good time.

Cool and dreary here too. Poured! Yesterday and so we didn't go out until late and then it was grocery shopping......my least favorite thing to do......well maybe not the least, but close!

But I am happy that the temps have cooled.... high 90's with humidity is not fun.....in May!

Snowing now......well not real snow, but sure looks like it.... cottonwood seeds...and a bumper crop! The next street over has 3 GIANT cootonwoods and they've let loose their seeds! They're soooo hard to clean up! Lighter than air they just float all over! Yuck!

All well, could be worse, could be the real thing....

Hope everyone had a restful weekend and that today will go smoothly.

Love and hugs to all!

Mmmmm, a quilt police badge.....

Cathy F
June 4th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Morning all,
Well I must say I haven't had to water the garden with all the rain we've been having. Another rainy morning here. The heavy rain is crushing my flowers. The Iris, and petunias, are taking a beating, hope the sun comes out tomorrow to dry them up.
I have found a new Christmas line I love and started making some Christmas wreaths with it, I think they will be really cute. I ordered more of the fabric pre-cuts and yardage to have on hand while they still have it. I've learned he who hestitates loses!
Will probably have to get in some groceries today I stocked up on some meat at Costco now have to get some of the staples to go with it. Must say it's not my favorite job.

We will probably make a quick trip upstate in the coming week. I brought my feathweight up in April to my retreat to be serviced and usually he does it right away for me but it needed a spring that broke and had to be ordered. So my friend who lives up there picked it up for me and has been keeping it till I could pick it up. Will be happy to have it back home again and sew on it.
Well, I'm ready for my coffee so gotta fire up the Keurig. Wishing everyone a good day!

JCY
June 4th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Good Monday Morning, Everyone ~ I made it to the sewing room yest. for ~ 90 min. The Bordered 9-P rows are sewn together & 1 narrow border is on. I'm working on piecing together 2.5" squares for the next border. After DH went to bed, I went out & spread fertilizer on the lawn. The temp. had cooled into the 70's & was cloudy, so it was a perfect time to do. Plus the sprinkler system ran last night. The forecast is for 90's for the next 7-10 days, so it was do it now or wait quite a while. I don't spread the fertilizer if it's going to be >80 deg. due to chance of burning the grass.

Today I'll be making DH's spelt bread. Some time this week I need to defrost the freezer in the garage. Maybe before I make the next batch of chicken soup.

Got an e-m from DH's #1 son; the grandson to whom I mailed the quilt, has been attending PT a voc. tech school during his senior year. He was awarded scholarship $ from local businesses that will grant enough for 1 yr. at the tech program. He's enrolled in the machinist program for the next 2 yrs. We're proud of him.

Monique, good to have you back. No more time now.

KPH
June 4th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Good Morning All,

So glad you had a great time, Monique. It's good to have you home again.

Anita, we've tripped the light fantastic into June already, so the temps will rise along with the humidity. Yesterday was the first day it felt really oppressive with both heat and humidity here. Yesterday was the first day in a long time we didn't have storms, it seemed kind of strange. Short lived, they're calling for more of them today.

I worked on my SS project yesterday. According to the directions it's done, but I don't like the finished project so I'll be doing some tinkering to make it more acceptable in my eyes. I can't believe you'd leave something will all of the threads hanging out where they can be seen all the time. OHhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooooooooo, not me said the flea! We'll make it pretty on the front and back.

Jim starts his 3 week logic course today. Monday's and Wednesdays from 9-12 for 3 weeks and he'll earn enough money to pay for the new flooring for the foyer, office, dining room, kitchen, living room and hall. He's going to do the labor himself and I know he's not budgeted enough time, he never does. He'll spend a lot of time in demo and I hope he does it well. Then before you know it they'll be back in school.

I hope you all have a wonderful beginning of the week! Be creative!

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Good morning ladies,

It is a dreary wet day here, same system as Monique. I don't mind the rain, as it has been dry. Unfortunately, besides the plants getting watered, this will have weeds popping again. It's a loosing battle. I did about 4+ hours of yardwork yesterday. I wore a mask, as the pollen count is pretty high. At this rate, the yard might be presentable by fall. I am seriously thinking of calling in help with spring clean up. DH cut the grass yesterday and was pretty much wiped out the rest of the day.

Today is the last meeting of Victoria Quilts before summer break. I finished another top last week and started to quilt one of them last week. I missed a good week of sewing with the attack of summer allergies. Since we meet upstairs of a grocery store, I will pick up a few items.

I have to get my body back in shape, breathing and asthma especially, as we will be having to make the trip to Kansas. Sooner rather than later. We're trying to avoid the peak tornado season. Been there, not fun. DH's dad will need to be moved from his home to assisted living facility. It will not be easy, as the dementia/Alzheimer has progressed to a point where it is not safe for him to be alone. His great grandson has been living there for past year, but he works and still in school. DH's sister is in a facility and is not responsible, so DH needs to step up. What everyone doesn't realize is that he is also not young. I will probably be the one doing most of it. When his mom was ill and hospitalized, we were running around to find a lawyer as they had no powers of attorney for health etc or wills. Somehow, in their late 80s, didn't think they need any. DH has the original papers, and since he is not good at remembering where he put them, I foresee a day hunting these down.

It's provincial elections on Thursday, but none of the 3 major parties appeal to either us, or most people for that matter. We already have one of the highest provincial tax 13%.

It was great meeting the quilt police. Beautiful show, and a good road trip on a sunny day.

Have a good day.

Bubby
June 4th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Morning Everyone...I have crying pups so this will be short and sweet. We had a good weekend but the weather was bad Saturday. Yesterday it was lovely. We had lots of fun with the Girls. Here are two pics of Jeff with his lovey Sugar. They are so in love with each other....

Dottie is making headway accepting the pups..it varies from day to day and on how Dottie is feeling. She will always be my main Girl.

Must run for now....have a wonderful Monday friends.
Monique, so glad you had a great time at the retreat.

Star lover
June 4th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Awwwwww, puppy love.......!!!!!

pcbatiks
June 4th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Barb, love those pictures! Sugar looks like she is ready to race around the room. What a happy picture!

grammaterry
June 4th, 2018, 10:10 AM
On my hands and knees, I scrubbed every inch of the pool deck with a brush...it looks fabulous. All that nasty mold and leaf stain gone. But now I am exhausted.
Dug up a bunch of hostas that were just too big for the flower bed too
DH seems to be napping all the time. Is this a normal thing? Is he depressed or just old. We are the same age but he seems so tired and angry when he has to work on a project.
I worked a little on the cathedral window yesterday. Couldn't get my heart into it. At this rate it will be months before I get it done.

KPH
June 4th, 2018, 10:18 AM
"DH seems to be napping all the time. Is this a normal thing? Is he depressed or just old. We are the same age but he seems so tired and angry when he has to work on a project."

Terry, have him checked out... Howard would sit down in his recliner and be out cold in no time. Of course, he was "never" asleep, just resting his eyes as he snored on and on over there. Of course, his PawPaw was the same way. It could be just age, or it could be something more serious. Better safe than sorry!

Nwmnteacher
June 4th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Barb, you made me smile with your pictures of Sugar :-) What a cutie!

I worked this weekend at JoAnns. Unfortunately, I think I blew my paycheck! On Sunday they were having an extra 30% off all the clearance in the store, and we have A LOT of clearance fabric. I found several in the 60% off bin. After the 60% off, the extra 30% off, then our employee discount of 20% off, the store was almost paying ME to take it. I also picked up some Wilton baking items that were clearanced as well. Came home with 3 bags full!

Weather wise, we had 2 rather cool and cloudy days, but now and for the next 10 days it looks to be beautiful. I work again tomorrow, then plan to head to the cabin for 4-5 days. I have a small Janome there, and will work on a quilt top for one of the beds on the bunk set we just put in the bigger bedroom. (Two bedroom cabin....one large bedroom, one small.) I don't mind being there alone, just the dogs and me, it's like my own quilting retreat. Maybe Hubby and son + family will show up for the weekend.

Monique, where was your retreat held? Too bad the bugs were so bad. I hope you were able to get a little outside time. When we were at the cabin over Memorial Day weekend, the mosquitos were terrible. The dragonflies were just hatching, so I'm hoping they will be attacking the mosquito population soon. I really dislike using bug spray on myself.

I haven't been in the sewing room for a while. I've been working on getting the garden planted in between rain showers. I'll try to get the beans planted today, and then there's a pile of laundry calling to me.

I hope everyone has a blessed day.
Jeanne

Bubby
June 4th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Barb, love those pictures! Sugar looks like she is ready to race around the room. What a happy picture!

Sugar is ALWAYS ready to race around the room!

chelea
June 4th, 2018, 11:58 AM
We had a full weekend. Our grown kids, DD, DS and future DIL were here Fri, Sat and Sun. I love it when everyone is home and I enjoy cooking for a crowd. We put them to work pulling the cover off the pool and also replacing the fabric for the Sunsetter awning over our deck. It took 5 of us and 2 ladders to accomplish that. It's about 12'x20' so no way hubs and I could have managed it ourselves.
We're having a rainy, cold, dreary day today. After my chores I'm headed to my sewing room. Yesterday I finally finished the plus sign quilt that seems to have gone on forever. I'm not adding any borders since it's big enough as is and a modern design. Not sure yet which quilt is next so I'm working on one of the secret santa projects. I love being able to work on small projects between big quilts...it's sort of a recovery period, lol.
Terry, I hear you about hubs being grumpy and tired, though for piece of mind he might want to see his PCP. My hubs is the same way. For us, we put in so much time at our jobs that we let things go around the house. Since I retired last year I've pretty much gotten things back into shape (things I'm able to do) but there are projects he wants/needs to do and there are SO many it's overwhelming. He wants to retire next year so the push is on to get everything finished before then. He keeps saying he doesn't want to own a house anymore...too much work.
Barb, that little Sugar is absolutely adorable!
Hope we all get some serious sewing time in today!

Anitamae56
June 4th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Terry, from personal experience my husband got very irriatable and tired for about 5 months, before I got him to go to doctor. I thought he was depressed. And it ended up much worse than that for him. Please get him to go get checked out. It probably isn't anything, but it is better for you and him to get it checked out.

MissMay
June 4th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Good Afternoon, Woke up all aches and pains this morning so I took my own advice, for a change, and rested the morning. Feels like a head cold coming on and feeling much better now at 3pm.

Barb, Thanks for the photos. That Sugar looks like a sweet bunch of love and Jeff looks so happy to be receiving it from her.

JCY
June 4th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Terry ~ Definitely get the hubs checked out by his fam. dr. When was his last check-up? Being so tired also can be an indication of diabetes. He should have all his labs checked out, incl. CBC (complete blood count), CMP (comprehensive metabolic panel), liver panel, Hemoglobin A1C (which will show his glucose levels for the past 3 mos.), & any other labs the dr. feels are impt. The blood draw needs to be a fasting one. He definitely has been working hard recently, but it's not normal to be tired all the time.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 5th, 2018, 10:08 AM
On my hands and knees, I scrubbed every inch of the pool deck with a brush...it looks fabulous. All that nasty mold and leaf stain gone. But now I am exhausted.
Dug up a bunch of hostas that were just too big for the flower bed too
DH seems to be napping all the time. Is this a normal thing? Is he depressed or just old. We are the same age but he seems so tired and angry when he has to work on a project.
I worked a little on the cathedral window yesterday. Couldn't get my heart into it. At this rate it will be months before I get it done.

I have the same issue with DH. He does a bit of work, and he is exhausted. This is much worst since he fell this winter. But this has been the scene for past few years. I am younger than him, but no spring chick, and I am finding it more difficult to do everything myself. This winter, I decided to hire a cleaning lady, and have called in people to do basic repairs that he would eventually do. It takes him longer to do anything, and he doesn't seem upset when I call in help. He always says, oh I can do it. And my response is WHEN? Then I call someone. He also sits around and reads A LOT. Not a bad thing, but basic stuff is neglected. This can be exhausting. I know he is getting older, and I want to travel, but not certain he is up for the trips. I know he will rely on me a lot when we go to KS to look after his dad's place and get him in a home. I need to build up my strength.