PDA

View Full Version : Saturday - Road Trip/quilt Show

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 2nd, 2018, 08:56 AM
Good morning ladies,
The sun is shining today and the storm that was to be, really didn't happen. It did cool off things and humidity is much lower.

Getting ready to leave for a quilt show in the upper valley about. 1 1/2hr away. Going with my girlfriend and DH, who I am trying to convince to stay home. If he doesn't come, we will also do some retail therapy.

Great news. I had a call from a quilt store where I won the Shop Hop last month. When I claimed my $50 prize, I bought more fabric than my prize. They also have monthly draws for $100 certificate. You can imagine my surprise. I won. Another road trip back, but DH will come as he wants to check out a glider club nearby. Turns out shop owners's husband has been gliding for 3 yrs. they also own a catamaran, like us. So much in common. We may get together for dinner, as DH could have a new hobby. I am concerned about him learning to pilot, but I would be ok as a passenger. He has been before and loved it.

Have a good day / weekend.

Ginny B
June 2nd, 2018, 09:56 AM
Good morning Suzanne and all to follow. A quilt show....Such fun! Have a wonderful time. And congrats on your second win at the quilt store. :icon_woohoo:The sun is shining here this morning. That means I can get outside for some yard work today. But I will need to be careful with what I do though. Yesterday I had a bit of a scare. I woke up around 3 am with pain in my chest. I got up, walked around a bit trying to figure out what it might be. Thought maybe a gas pocket so I made myself some chamomile tea which usually helps with that. Nope, didn't change anything. By this time dh is awake. I asked him to get me a small glass of soda and yup that made me burp because soda always does but it didn't change the pain. Well after a couple more hours of "what could this be" wondering, dh took me to the ER. My bp was very high but ekg was good. We had gotten in touch with our cardiologist office before heading to the hospital and it seems he got in touch with a fellow cardiologist who was at the hospital and asked him to come down to the ER and evaluate me. He was very nice and explained that while all the tests the had been running were coming back looking like it wasn't a heart attack, he wanted to actually get a picture of my heart. He said they could do a CT with contrast to get some visuals of what my heart looked like and then, if they found anything concerning, they'd transfer me to another heart hospital near us. So I agreed to have the test done. It took a few more hours before that was able to be done and in the meantime they moved me into what they called the Observation unit. It was more comfortable there. Well the CT showed some minor calcification but they said that was normal "for my age" and wasn't the cause of the pain. what they determined was causing the pressure was a hiatal hernia that they saw on the scan.. They did run a second set of enzyme tests just to be sure and when that result showed no rise in the #'s, he felt comfortable releasing me. I spent close to 10 hours at the hospital. Not the Friday I pictured. I am feeling much better this morning. Less pain. I will see my cardiologist this week and see what this actually means going forward.

Not sure what today will involve. Hubby needs to cut the grass and I have some things to do outside too bubutt I'll see how I feel.

Have a good day everyone

Claire Hallman
June 2nd, 2018, 11:59 AM
Oh no! Glad it appears to not be your heart. Those hernias can masquerade as heart attacks and hurt like he!!. A change in eating choices in the evening can hopefully help solve the problem.

JCY
June 2nd, 2018, 12:00 PM
Good Morning, All ~ Ginny, so glad your tests were ok. What an ordeal that was. Better to get the testing done & know for sure. One time I had some chest pain that turned out to be more of a panic attack. I was stressed out getting ready to take a trip, trying to get things done, etc. I had a treadmill stress test which was ok. Sometimes acid reflux can give symptoms that make one feel like a heart problem. It can be very disconcerting.

I'm letting my breakfast settle, then I'm headed out to do some weeding in the flower beds. The weeds & grass are running rampant. Two summers ago I hired a master gardener to do all the flower beds one time. At $40./hr. that added up in a hurry! It cost $800. I'm not shelling out that kind of money again. I'll just do it myself, a little bit at a time, & hope to make it through all the beds at least one time. There's quite a bit of color out there now with the coral bells, Siberian Iris, & other flowers blooming. At least it's cooler today, so it will be better without all that heat.

Well, I had a busy, & somewhat frustrating, day yesterday. Lots of errands. First stop was Walmart where I had a lengthy list. Not till I got home later & DH was putting away things did I discover I'd left 1 bag on the bag turn stile. >$30. worth of merchandise. Sigh. I had to make a special trip back with my receipt. My bag had not been turned it. Probably the person behind me took home my items. I was able to replace part of the items, & they refunded my $ for items they were out of, so I guess all's well that ends well. Just frustrating. I usually twirl the bags around to make sure I got everything, but I forgot to do that yest.

While at WM I was able to get 2 free boxes from a vendor who was stocking shelves, which saved buying a box or mailer. I packaged up & mailed the 2 quilts yest. p.m. -- one to my niece with the cancer, & the other to my gr. son who graduates next wk.
Glad that job is done.

It was a beastly hot day yest. I saw 96; DH said he thought it was 98. Anyway, it was very hot with a strong hot wind. Our neighbors were having a new roof installed yest. It had to be very hot working up there on the roof. The guys started before 8 a.m. & were wrapping up at 3:30. He had at least 3 layers of shingles on the roof, so they removed everything down to the plywood & re-did everything. It looks nice.

I've been too busy to even watch Jenny's tut. from yest. It looked like a nice pattern from just seeing the pic. My Bordered 9-P blocks still are spread on the fam. rm. floor waiting for me.

Well, it's time to head to the yard.

JulieC
June 2nd, 2018, 12:04 PM
Happy Saturday, Everyone!

The quilt I sent to M* in March arrived this morning! I am very happy with the quilting, and will post a picture after I get the binding on -- which will not be this weekend. I have a "to do" list a mile long, here's hoping I can get most of it accomplished.

For those who missed the follow-up: the mama deer reunited with the baby deer, after it spent the night in Mom's garage. So glad we had a happy ending! The next morning, there was a tiny baby deer in the grass in my front yard, which stayed there all day. (Not sure if it was the same one, it looked smaller to me, but pictures can be deceiving.) I was working in my sewing room last night, and saw one of my neighbors checking on the deer and looking all worried. She came back later with a rubbermaid container of milk. I ran outside and told her to leave the baby alone, it was fine, the mother would be back for it. She was concerned because she had seen it that morning when she walked her dog. I assured her it wasn't abandoned, it was fine. I was right; the baby's mother came for it around sunset.

Here's hoping it is hanging out elsewhere today -- I'm planning to mow the grass. I didn't see it this morning, but will make sure to check the area before I start the mower.

Ginny: sorry to hear you spent 10 hours @ the hospital, but glad that you're ok. Better safe than sorry.

Have a great weekend!

KPH
June 2nd, 2018, 02:09 PM
Good Afternoon all,

Ginny, your tale brought back lots of memories. I'm so glad you're feeling better and I hope you're own dr. will be able to give you good advice.

I started early this morning, but didn't make it here, I almost did buy my quilting friend from Charlotte called. We had to go through all the stuff going on at school. She mainly called to tell me three big guys were walking through the building and she didn't recognize them at first. Once they caught up with her, she realize they were former students that had gone on camping trips with her class, Howard and Mike. They would go to Kings Mountain for the week with her fourth, fifth and sixth graders. Those guys had such wonderful memories that they reminisced with her. All the laughter and tears. They still remembered the noodles I would send for one of their meals, all kinds of things Howard and Mike taught them during that week with no parents. It brought tears to her eyes and mine as she was telling me how much Howard meant to them. They were shocked to say the least that he was gone and had forgotten that we were married. An hour and a half later I finally got off the phone, but it was such a good visit!

Jim came over shortly after I got off of the phone. We finished emptying DH's tool box. Mine is full and I had to go get some boxes to finish packing up the stuff. I couldn't believe with all that I got rid of I still didn't have enough room for what THEY wanted me to keep. I still have the little tool box that Howard would take camping with him, but with the heat already, it can wait!

The guys are coming to measure for replacement windows. I only want to do the two in the bedrooms with sound proof glass, so we'll see how this estimate goes. Naturally they want to do the whole house, but it ain't gonna happen! I told Jim, with the big window in the front, and the long narrow window above that. I'd be terrified that they would get started and realize the structure was insufficient. I'm not going to tempt fate there.

Tuesday the guys are coming to trim up the palm trees. I did find out they are Washington palms and by the time I'm old and gray they'll be 4 times the size they are now. I told the guy, he was too late for that I was already old and gray. It will be nice to see all of those dead fronds off of them.

I'd pulled the stuff out to work on one of the Secret Santa project since I haven't been motivated to work on Mel's quilt. Maybe tomorrow between church and Bible study. I'm ready to put my feet up for a little bit and just cool off!

I hope everyone has a great weekend. It looks like we'll be getting wet as the winds are picking up and the clouds are building.

Prayers for those in need, for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JCY
June 2nd, 2018, 03:57 PM
It was perfect weather for yard work this a.m. It even was cool enough in the shade to wear a flannel shirt for a while. I finished weeding the bed by the front porch. The salvia & Penstemon are blooming. The clematis is loaded with buds; no blooms yet. I had to tie up some of the draping vines. By the time I finished putting away the tools, I'd put in a good 2 hrs. of work. That's enough for one day. I hope to get to the sewing room later today. Enjoy your week end.

KPH
June 2nd, 2018, 04:43 PM
Joy you got to see the fruits of your labor, and I agree two hours is enough. That's kind of the way I felt about the garage today.

The folks came to tell me the wonderful things about their windows, but they won't come out for less than five windows. I told them I was sorry I wasted their time, but I wasn't doing 5 windows just because they don't want to come out for less. So go on to the next house maybe they want to do their whole house. Oh well, the one guy suggested putting out three rows of bamboo across the back. I'd already thought about that, but with the way the house lays, it really wouldn't help Mike's bedroom. Back to the drawing board.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 2nd, 2018, 09:38 PM
Good morning Suzanne and all to follow. A quilt show....Such fun! Have a wonderful time. And congrats on your second win at the quilt store. :icon_woohoo:The sun is shining here this morning. That means I can get outside for some yard work today. But I will need to be careful with what I do though. Yesterday I had a bit of a scare. I woke up around 3 am with pain in my chest. I got up, walked around a bit trying to figure out what it might be. Thought maybe a gas pocket so I made myself some chamomile tea which usually helps with that. Nope, didn't change anything. By this time dh is awake. I asked him to get me a small glass of soda and yup that made me burp because soda always does but it didn't change the pain. Well after a couple more hours of "what could this be" wondering, dh took me to the ER. My bp was very high but ekg was good. We had gotten in touch with our cardiologist office before heading to the hospital and it seems he got in touch with a fellow cardiologist who was at the hospital and asked him to come down to the ER and evaluate me. He was very nice and explained that while all the tests the had been running were coming back looking like it wasn't a heart attack, he wanted to actually get a picture of my heart. He said they could do a CT with contrast to get some visuals of what my heart looked like and then, if they found anything concerning, they'd transfer me to another heart hospital near us. So I agreed to have the test done. It took a few more hours before that was able to be done and in the meantime they moved me into what they called the Observation unit. It was more comfortable there. Well the CT showed some minor calcification but they said that was normal "for my age" and wasn't the cause of the pain. what they determined was causing the pressure was a hiatal hernia that they saw on the scan.. They did run a second set of enzyme tests just to be sure and when that result showed no rise in the #'s, he felt comfortable releasing me. I spent close to 10 hours at the hospital. Not the Friday I pictured. I am feeling much better this morning. Less pain. I will see my cardiologist this week and see what this actually means going forward.

Not sure what today will involve. Hubby needs to cut the grass and I have some things to do outside too bubutt I'll see how I feel.

Have a good day everyone

Oh Ginny, that's quite the experience. Take it easy. I know this is easier said than done, but you will recover much faster with some rest. Your body is speaking, yelling, to you.

MissMay
June 5th, 2018, 01:35 PM
What a scare but glad you got treatment and tests quickly and hope all the new tests come out fine.

Now relax a bit so you're rested and ready when the guys are all at your place. When our 3 sons and their children and their children's children are here it's a whirlwind of fun and excitement. Enjoy!