PDA

View Full Version : water melon

BarabaraTX
May 31st, 2018, 03:49 PM
Had the grands over last weekend, so we got a water melon. They saw me putting salt on mine, and looked at me like I had 2 heads. Do you put salt on your water melon?

KPH
May 31st, 2018, 03:51 PM
I don't, but DH did. I like a little sprinkle of cinnamon on mine.

Hulamoon
May 31st, 2018, 03:56 PM
I do sometimes. I watch 'The Chew' everyday and if you watch it, Carla Hall is an excellent baker. She always says you always add salt to your sweet!

Star lover
May 31st, 2018, 03:57 PM
I don't but DH does....and lots of it. You don't have 2 heads.....everyone likes things the way they like them!

auntstuff
May 31st, 2018, 04:22 PM
I used to, but stopped a long time ago.

KarenC
May 31st, 2018, 04:58 PM
I used to, before I started watching my salt intake. If it’s not sweet then definitely add a bit of salt .

grammaterry
May 31st, 2018, 05:47 PM
Not me...I love watermelon just the way it is. I think if you have to add stuff to fruit and veggies you really don't like them...some like salt on lemons, ketchup on fries, mint jelly on lamb, salad dressing on salads...but me...I love them just the way they are. Even corn on the cob is perfect right out of the garden even if its not cooked.

bakermom
May 31st, 2018, 06:23 PM
I did growing up. Somewhere along the line I stopped doing it. Also salted tart apples as a child, too. Probably cause my dad did

MissMay
May 31st, 2018, 06:37 PM
Just unseasoned watermelon for me.

The BIG Question is do you use a knife and/or fork to eat it or just hold it in your hand and enjoy it slurps and all?

cv quilter
May 31st, 2018, 06:37 PM
I do...also on cantaloupe. I just think I do like the sweet and salty taste together

Cokie
May 31st, 2018, 06:46 PM
I did growing up, but somewhere along the line I decided I liked melons just the way they are without salt. My best friend growing up put sugar on melons.

Debbie Watters
May 31st, 2018, 07:28 PM
Used to use salt when a kid growing up ... as per my Dad ... have since stopped - no reason, just did ... love watermelon!

Vonnie
May 31st, 2018, 07:59 PM
No salt on fruit/melons. But butter on cooked vegetables and ketchup on fries. On the vegetables I might add a little sea salt and on the fries, if I make them (in the oven) I put low sodium seasoning salt on them. I have oven fries in the oven right now. Yum!

GuitarGramma
May 31st, 2018, 08:04 PM
I've never put salt on watermelon, but I always salt my cantaloupe. Not sure why!

nativetexan
May 31st, 2018, 08:06 PM
My Father was Scandinavian and he did!!

Astatoo
May 31st, 2018, 08:06 PM
FYI If you like watermelon and have a dehydrator try some dried melon.....when my son was young he called it candy melon.

Simply Quilting
May 31st, 2018, 08:54 PM
Depends upon the watermelon. If it is really good, I don't salt. If it is not that great, I will add salt to make it taste better.

JCY
May 31st, 2018, 09:42 PM
Since I'm the only one who eats watermelon, I buy a "filet". It's already been cut into a thick slice & packaged. When I get it home, I cut it into cubes & get maybe 3 servings from it. I have to eat it sparingly, since it's so sweet, it really affects my blood sugar. When I buy cantaloupe, I buy a whole melon, cut it up & put it in plastic containers in the frig. ready to eat. I use salt on both.

laura44
May 31st, 2018, 10:08 PM
Wow, maybe it's the California coast girl in me but I never heard of
putting salt on melon. :icon_wave:

jjkaiser
May 31st, 2018, 10:10 PM
No salt but I cut the whole thing up in bite size pieces and store in Tupperware in the fridge. I have a super old crummy warped blackish cookie sheet with a rim and it is great for cutting up melons because who cares if it gets scratched up with the knife and the rim keeps the juice from running all over the place. I also eat my WM with a fork.

MRoy
May 31st, 2018, 10:22 PM
I always put salt on watermelon.

LLLinda
May 31st, 2018, 11:01 PM
I'm a plain watermelon gal but I put freshly ground black pepper on cantaloupe.

bubba
May 31st, 2018, 11:02 PM
I can't eat watermelon because of a medical condition, but my dad always put salt on his!! On cantaloupe, he put salt and pepper!

Hulamoon
May 31st, 2018, 11:20 PM
I can't eat watermelon because of a medical condition, but my dad always put salt on his!! On cantaloupe, he put salt and pepper!

I can't eat honeydew. My throat closes up. Guess that means I'm allergic. I did love it though.

KPH
May 31st, 2018, 11:31 PM

The BIG Question is do you use a knife and/or fork to eat it or just hold it in your hand and enjoy it slurps and all?

I remember Grandpa Phillips having a watermelon patch. He'd bring in two for the family. He'd cut each one into quarters, and we'd eat the whole wedge. At that point in time, no knives or forks just massive yumminess.

Now, I peel the watermelon and dice it in a bowl for the kids. Sometimes I think where's the fun in that!

bubba
June 1st, 2018, 12:58 AM
I learned last year that you cut the watermelon in half, then put the flat side down and cut about 1.5" 'sticks' of it. You can hold it by the rind and it's not so messy to eat. The grandkids love it like that!

MSN
June 1st, 2018, 02:19 AM
I put salt on cantaloupe, but not watermelon. Because that's what my mother always did. She also collected all the watermelon rind and made watermelon pickles. As much as I love those pickles, I just can't get excited about standing in a hot kitchen cooking a big pot of pickles and than packing them in jars and processing them. Guess I didn't inherit the canning gene.

sewluvit
June 1st, 2018, 02:38 AM
I never heard of salt on watermelon either. My mom salted apples which I thought tasted ok but preferred them without.

Bubby
June 1st, 2018, 07:11 AM
I don't salt my melon but I like a little salt on Granny Smith apples.

Bubby
June 1st, 2018, 07:12 AM

My Dad salted and peppered his cantaloupe, too.

bakermom
June 1st, 2018, 05:31 PM

I prefer to eat it out of hand whenever possible. Otherwise with a spoon. Dh insists on knife and fork.

MHG Winnower
June 2nd, 2018, 06:28 AM
I love it the way it is, but also cut up with a little blue cheese thrown in!

LindaKay75
June 2nd, 2018, 03:23 PM
Oh I use to but can't do it anymore as I'm on a salt restricted diet. Rest of my family eats as is, nothing. Cinnamon I may give a try.

Carol336
June 3rd, 2018, 07:01 AM
Not on watermelon, but I salt AND pepper my cantaloupe.....yum

MaggieSue
June 3rd, 2018, 02:18 PM
Learning much new information in this thread!!!

amartin24
June 4th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Learning much new information in this thread!!!

I ditto that! I never heard of salt or pepper on Any fruit! hmmm, might just have to try it.

14margarette
June 5th, 2018, 02:46 AM
I also do that, salt add flavor to watermelon I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

Murphy224
June 5th, 2018, 05:15 AM
Interesting thread.....I salt watermelon sometimes and cantaloupe all the time. My favorite all time breakfast is cantaloupe is with fresh hot biscuits and gravy. .
Next watermelon I get, gonna cut it up this way.....I do this now with cantaloupe without the bowl, but haven't tried with watermelon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D68Lck4Y5Ig

Hulamoon
June 5th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Interesting thread.....I salt watermelon sometimes and cantaloupe all the time. My favorite all time breakfast is cantaloupe is with fresh hot biscuits and gravy. .
Next watermelon I get, gonna cut it up this way.....I do this now with cantaloupe without the bowl, but haven't tried with watermelon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D68Lck4Y5Ig

Did you read the comments for this video? Some people are just so mean.

bakermom
June 5th, 2018, 12:13 PM
my story on cutting up watermelon: many years ago when all the kids were young we went to visit the inlaws. 4+ hours away, hot, tired kids, arrived at inlaws as MIL was returning from store with watermelon. She asked (tired, hot)kids if they wanted some melon. Of course they did. She made them wait while she put groceries away then cut up the melon into small squares she put in a tupperware bowl. We kept asking her to give the kids a wedge and let them go outside and eat it, THEN cut up the rest. NOPE, wouldn't hear of it. i have nothing good to say.

Hulamoon
June 5th, 2018, 12:37 PM
my story on cutting up watermelon: many years ago when all the kids were young we went to visit the inlaws. 4+ hours away, hot, tired kids, arrived at inlaws as MIL was returning from store with watermelon. She asked (tired, hot)kids if they wanted some melon. Of course they did. She made them wait while she put groceries away then cut up the melon into small squares she put in a tupperware bowl. We kept asking her to give the kids a wedge and let them go outside and eat it, THEN cut up the rest. NOPE, wouldn't hear of it. i have nothing good to say.

lol I have a melon story too. When I was young my mom and stepdad hired a live in house keeper/nanny. They didn't want me home alone after school. My stepdad told her to cut up a melon before we left in the morning. She was Mexican and something got lost in translation. She juiced the whole thing! lol

TMP
June 5th, 2018, 12:41 PM
My mom did and so did my husband. I am not a big salt eater, so I don't.

The oddest thing my friend's mom made pickles out of the rind. No, I didn't try it and don't think I would like it. Have any of you heard of that?

Star lover
June 5th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Watermelon pickles are huge in the south where family is at......and it's good! As well as watermelon jelly.

I used to make beet jelly.....it was fabulous! Tasted like mixed fruit jelly and the color.....oh my, beautiful!

bakermom
June 5th, 2018, 02:51 PM
While my folks canned/froze/preserved almost everything we ate, they never made watermelon pickles.

MSN
June 6th, 2018, 01:35 AM
TMP, watermelon pickles are a sweet pickle. To make them, you peel off the green part of the rind and cut up the white flesh into chunks. My mom always liked if there was a little of the pink there, too, as it gave the pickles a nice color. Put the chunks in a big pot, then cover with vinegar and water and sugar. For spicing, we would add a couple of drops of oil of cinnamon and oil of cloves (I guess they are called essential oils now). Cook until the chunks are done (not crunchy, but definitely not mushy). Fill sterilized jars, seal, and process in a hot water bath. I love them!

Murphy224
June 6th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Did you read the comments for this video? Some people are just so mean.

I did. Goodness, since "social media" some people just don't have filters of any kind.