PDA

View Full Version : Thursday hellos

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 31st, 2018, 08:51 AM
Good morning everyone,

We were up too early, but will take the opportunity to get the day going. The heat, but mostly humidity, is keeping my time outdoors to a minimum as the allergy/asthma has been bothering me.i will try and do a bit of yardwork for an hour, no more. I have masks this time. It's already in the 70s and its expected to rise to over 90 this aft, with chance of rain / thunderstorms. Apparently this is part of the system from Alberto storm coming up the Great Lakes. A few days of bad weather and it should cool by weekend, no rain. I am hoping to get to a quilt show, and lots of other activities going on within an hour's drive.

Yesterday I finished sewing the blocks together, added rows, sashing on the xmas Quatrefoil. I prepped the two skinny borders and will add those today. Next I will look for the border. Maybe there will be a vendor at the show with fabric I can use. If not, I hear road trip. Heather came over and I showed her how to square a block. She had a pile of HST. They measured anywhere from 4.25 to 5". She used the old way to make, which is not as accurate as it can stretch when you sew together. . We trimmed them all to 4.25" and polished off some wine.

It was too hot to BBQ so I made a quick dish of macaroni, tomato/red pepper soup, ground beef and cheeses. Strange, this is one of my comfort foods.

I will drop by DD today to check on her and baby. They have both been sick, probably allergies, like me. DH is dropping by the office, so I will have alone/productive time.

Katrina - I Guess things are not so different across the border with mailbox keys. We have had a few replaced over the years, and it is frustrating. Hope all is resolved.

DH had a message from his sister in Wichita. Dad is not doing so well - his memory (not really) is back after 5-6 years and now remembers how to cook (not safe), use his canoe (not safe), go for walks (not safe, he's been known to wander for miles on State highway), drive (was once located 50 miles away and could not remember why/where he was). I have been telling DH that we need to go snd check on him, clear house. We may be planning that trip, which means we could visit his aunt and cousin in Denver, and maybe a trip to Missouri. I should start planning this trip. DH will have conference call on Saturday with his sister (really his niece that his parents raised). DH's great nephew has moved in last year to watch over his dad, but it's become more challenging. I feel he would best be taken care of in a long-term /assisted living facility. We had checked on one for his mom before she passed. It was beautiful and I would feel safe there.

Have a good day

Carlie Wolf
May 31st, 2018, 09:07 AM
Suzanne, I think this year is worse allergy wise then last year and last year was not good. A pollen allergy is new since I moved to WV from Canada. I was up by Algonquin Park. This year not only do my eyes feel like I'm moving through a sand storm, post nasal drip is awful but now I've developed hives on my shoulders. I have to keep washing them off during the day or I feel like I'm being occasionally stung by a bee. Doesn't seem to matter if I wear a long shirt or not.

It's clouding up here and they say thunderstorms (for the next three days), then cooling down.

Still working on my 4 patches. I think I'll have them finished by the weekend :-)

Bubby
May 31st, 2018, 09:17 AM
Good Morning...Thanks for starting our morning thread, Suzanne. Allergies here are worse than they have been for years. I even sneeze in my sleep. Jeff is so miserable he is going back to the doctor this afternoon.

The Girls are napping. I hope it's a nice long one. Yesterday wasn't a good day for me with the pups. I was worn to the bone by the time Jeff got home from work. Even Dottie was a handful...pretty unusual for her to be so contrary.

I have several loads of laundry to do today. Somehow I need time to run the vacuum at least through the center of the house today. The Little Girls used to be terrified of the vacuum but now they attack it to protect Mom. I think they've made the connection that food and treats come from Mom so they want to protect me.

Wishing everyone a good Thursday....the weekend is just around the corner. Hugs..........

MissMay
May 31st, 2018, 09:57 AM
This cold/rainy then sunny/warm then cold/rainy again weather has me stuck for clothes to wear. Not cold enough for a sweatshirt or hot enough for short sleeves. So dreary out too and it makes me want to stay in my pjs snuggled on the couch under a quilt and watch old movies. Don't you think we all needed a day like that once in awhile? Ahh, I can dream about it but today I need to get a move on and get the laundry done.

THROWBACK THURSDAY Friend recently posted this photo and I told him looks like my 1st car, it's the same color and even has the same dent in the fender.

KPH
May 31st, 2018, 10:10 AM
Good Morning All,

I'm determined the mail key isn't going to get me down! lol no mail, no bills. Only one left that I can get the info on line for anyway so if the junk piles up in there, let it! The only issue will be that fat quarter that's already been shipped. SO, hold my mail until you get it fixed is going to be my request or a new box. Seems like there should be something they can do since I can't drive to the post office to pick it up.

The papa cardinal has been bringing a baby with him to the bird feeder the past few days. The baby sat on the patio fluttering its wings and papa would come and give it some seeds. Then the little one graduated to the low rail now it sits on the top rail that goes around the deck. It got brave yesterday and sat on top of one of the posts. It was higher than papa when he gave him some seeds. Since most of them dropped out, baby went back to the rail. I still can't tell if it's going to be a male or female as it's fairly brown with red highlights. The black cardinal mask hasn't grown in either. It's cool to watch and the grandkids got to watch for a little bit yesterday.

I took the day off from sewing yesterday. Last night after dinner Mike and I went through 3 more tool box drawers. After 2 drawers full of ratchets and sockets, I was done. There is no way I need all of that! I should see if I can make sets with Jonathan, but I'm pretty much over it and I doubt that it would hold his attention.

I guess today may be the last day of home school this year. Or maybe not since Jim is teaching logic 2 days a week for 3 weeks sometime in June. I'll start looking for some fun things to do. Jonathan wants Esther to start to school at Grandma's now. Esther's not so sure about that, neither am I.

So much sadness, with our friends losses. New chapters of their lives beginning and the paperwork that goes with all of it. Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

BethB
May 31st, 2018, 10:11 AM
I don't usually write a lot of these threads, but I do read them every day, but I wanted to share something that happened last night and this morning which has kind of freaked me out --- mainly because I am now a widow living alone since my husband passed away 2 months ago.

Anyway, I took the dog out last night and decided to sit on the front porch for a little bit -- it had cooled down a little. All of a sudden, a fancy black Audi pulled up out in front and parked at the curb in front of my house. The guy just sat there for about 5-6 minutes. I wanted to go ask him what he was doing there, but was having trouble finding my nerve. Finally, a pretty fancy Jeep pulled around the corner and the lady parked 2 houses up the street. I thought it might be that neighbors daughter, but she got out and walked back toward the Audi. That guy got out of his car and met with her and they walked up the street and out of sight. My sister called and we were speculating what could be going on when the "couple" appeared from the other direction. They continued to walk down the road after walking around the block. I went into the house and watched out the window. About 10 minutes later, they return, talk a minute, he gets into his car, she walks up to hers, he pulls out and leaves and she does the same. I think this has been very odd --- driving to a neighborhood, meet up with someone else, walk around the neighborhood and then leave.

So, this morning, I hear a lot of car doors closing, more than usual in the morning. So I get up, go downstairs and open the front curtain and there are two big, black SUV's parked across the street --- no one is in either of them. Mostly, I am here alone, neighbors have gone to work or are away. Not quite sure what, if anything, I should do but a little unsettling for one living alone.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. I do love reading about all of your days.

Nancy

KPH
May 31st, 2018, 10:17 AM
I don't usually write a lot of these threads, but I do read them every day, but I wanted to share something that happened last night and this morning which has kind of freaked me out --- mainly because I am now a widow living alone since my husband passed away 2 months ago.

Anyway, I took the dog out last night and decided to sit on the front porch for a little bit -- it had cooled down a little. All of a sudden, a fancy black Audi pulled up out in front and parked at the curb in front of my house. The guy just sat there for about 5-6 minutes. I wanted to go ask him what he was doing there, but was having trouble finding my nerve. Finally, a pretty fancy Jeep pulled around the corner and the lady parked 2 houses up the street. I thought it might be that neighbors daughter, but she got out and walked back toward the Audi. That guy got out of his car and met with her and they walked up the street and out of sight. My sister called and we were speculating what could be going on when the "couple" appeared from the other direction. They continued to walk down the road after walking around the block. I went into the house and watched out the window. About 10 minutes later, they return, talk a minute, he gets into his car, she walks up to hers, he pulls out and leaves and she does the same. I think this has been very odd --- driving to a neighborhood, meet up with someone else, walk around the neighborhood and then leave.

So, this morning, I hear a lot of car doors closing, more than usual in the morning. So I get up, go downstairs and open the front curtain and there are two big, black SUV's parked across the street --- no one is in either of them. Mostly, I am here alone, neighbors have gone to work or are away. Not quite sure what, if anything, I should do but a little unsettling for one living alone.

Nancy

Nancy, I've been fussed at before, so I'll pass the message to you without the fussing. If you're alone, and you're feeling insecure or something strikes you as really strange, call the non-emergency police line and file a report. If you can get tag numbers write them down. It's better to be vigilant than sorry when something happens.

And just so you know, my fussing came from a police officer. As he said, they 're there to protect and serve, and if we're not feeling secure, they can't do their job if they don't know about it.

Star lover
May 31st, 2018, 10:29 AM
Well, what a morning......or maybe several now......I'm whipped. We has spring......so happy for spring.....it lasted 2 weeks....maybe. Now it's mid 90's and humid......did the lawn....twice now I've swept the patio. Our crummy maples have dropped the worst seeds that I can remember......looked like a carpet of seeds. 5 gallons bucket loads. The one tree needs to be cut down. It's well over 60 feet high and rotting. It grows mushrooms. Large....huge mushrooms. Looks like shelves growing out of it. Sigh......I'm whipped....sorry, think I said that already....

Suzanne Barb and Carlie I hope you all have relief from your allergies. I have a cold.....have had it now for 2 weeks......I have DH to thank for it..... feel your misery!

Katrina, I love cardinals. They are sooooo pretty! Cats eat all our babies, so not many here.....so sad.

Nancy, I'd call the police. Better safe than sorry. If other neighbors do the same thing, it'll be checked out.....ya never know what's going on......

Hope everyone has a wonderful day. Love and hugs.....looks like we all need them.....

TMP
May 31st, 2018, 11:10 AM
Nancy that is rather odd and I would call and ask the police to ride through the neighborhood.

Well today is Kaylee's official birthday and my DD took the day off to spend with her and I am keeping my grandson. They do this every year breakfast, shopping ect just the two of them. She dropped my grandson off and told me this year Kaylee pitched a fit to take her friend with them. I could see the disappointment in her eyes without her saying anything. Geez why do kids have to grow up and have their own life.... Yes, I know we want them to. Anyhow I am off for a glorious day with my grandson we are going to Chuckie Cheese. He is 5 and so excited he is about to bust. I hope to be able to talk him into eating somewhere else, because that is about the worst pizza ever. I am going to suggest donuts and hopefully the donuts win.

I am working on my farm girl quilt and its was going okay. I thought I was being so careful matching up the seams . I pressed and laid it to the side and out of the corner of my eye I noticed I had sewn an entire row up side down.

Have a wonderful Thursday!
Teresa

chelea
May 31st, 2018, 12:07 PM
Nancy, it sounds to me like drug dealing. With drugs come guns. Definitely call the police.

Carlie Wolf
May 31st, 2018, 12:53 PM
chelea, I was thinking the same thing. Our town has a big drug problem but fortunately not usually in my neighborhood. (maybe because the sheriff lives across the street and mayor, an FBI agent and the editor of the local paper). A few years ago one of the houses was rented and after dark until around midnight there would be cars going back in the alley that were not from the neighborhood. I use to sit on the backporch at night with Carlie. I mentioned it to the sheriff and things quietly stopped. Other then that I've been lucky. I wouldn't think twice in phoning the police if I saw something unusual.

KPH I hope you have a big dog :-) I find it a comfort since I'm alone too. A smaller dog is good to give warnings but I value a larger dog that can do some damage if it's called for :-) I always feel safe with Carlie around and previously my rottie Rusty. But I'd still call the police if I was uncomfortable with something unusual going on.

Claire Hallman
May 31st, 2018, 02:06 PM
That is funny, I immediately thought of a lover's tryst. I guess it shows how my mind works, I don't think of drug dealers taking a walk.:lol:

JCY
May 31st, 2018, 02:16 PM
Good Morning ~ I'm late getting here. I just checked the DD again; it's now totally dif. than what it was at 6 a.m. I knew those Essence Tiles would sell out quickly. I debated, but I still can't justify buying more fabric when I have so much in my stash. So now I don't have to be disappointed, b/c it's already gone.

Well, we got the estimate for the car repair expenses this a.m. It's going to be costly. We need rotors, pads, & wheel bearings packed on the front, rear brake pads, brake fluid flush, replace the air flow meter/sensor, and trouble shooting the air bag light, which is near the clock spring assembly. When that light stays on, the air bag would not deploy in the event of an accident, so it needs fixing. They need to keep the car 3 more working days, so I won't get it back before late Tues. or on Wed. next week. We're looking at ~$2,000. Labor adds up in a hurry! But...it's still cheaper than a new car.

I finished the blocks for the Bordered 9-P yest. After I laid them out on the floor, I realized one block has the 9-P in the center arranged differently. It was one of the first ones I made. I will re-do that block. I actually like the arrangement of the first block better than the others! If I make this pattern again, I'll do them that way rather than Jenny's way. It just delays the quilt assembly a bit longer. I still have to finalize borders. I have scraps left so may make a pieced border.

Today I need to make some quilt labels, get 2 sewed on, & get those 2 quilts in the mail. The one is for my gr. son's grad. & one for my niece with the cancer. She's not doing so well. Please keep Linda in your prayers.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 31st, 2018, 03:00 PM

Nancy

Nancy (BethB)
That does sound suspicious, and if you have never witnessed anything like this before in your neighbourhood, I would not hesitate and call the police. It's even stranger with SUVs the next day. Do you live in an area, where there are politicians, professionals that may need surveillance. At first, I thought the couple might be hooking up in someone's house. When I've seen strange activity in a previous neighbourhood, it was usually illegal activity. This is not to say this is the case.
Just touching base with local police, they might add extra patrols to ensure nothing is going on
Suzanne

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 31st, 2018, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=KPH;1025478]

The papa cardinal has been bringing a baby with him to the bird feeder the past few days. The baby sat on the patio fluttering its wings and papa would come and give it some seeds. Then the little one graduated to the low rail now it sits on the top rail that goes around the deck. It got brave yesterday and sat on top of one of the posts. It was higher than papa when he gave him some seeds. Since most of them dropped out, baby went back to the rail. I still can't tell if it's going to be a male or female as it's fairly brown with red highlights. The black cardinal mask hasn't grown in either. It's cool to watch and the grandkids got to watch for a little bit yesterday.

Katrina - How lucky to have cardinals. We usually have them at our feeders, but they nest across the street at my friend Connie.
I believe that cardinals are visitors from heaven, and watching over us. I think you are blessed.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 31st, 2018, 03:28 PM
Good Morning ~ I'm late getting here. I just checked the DD again; it's now totally dif. than what it was at 6 a.m. I knew those Essence Tiles would sell out quickly. I debated, but I still can't justify buying more fabric when I have so much in my stash. So now I don't have to be disappointed, b/c it's already gone.

Well, we got the estimate for the car repair expenses this a.m. It's going to be costly. We need rotors, pads, & wheel bearings packed on the front, rear brake pads, brake fluid flush, replace the air flow meter/sensor, and trouble shooting the air bag light, which is near the clock spring assembly. When that light stays on, the air bag would not deploy in the event of an accident, so it needs fixing. They need to keep the car 3 more working days, so I won't get it back before late Tues. or on Wed. next week. We're looking at ~$2,000. Labor adds up in a hurry! But...it's still cheaper than a new car.

I finished the blocks for the Bordered 9-P yest. After I laid them out on the floor, I realized one block has the 9-P in the center arranged differently. It was one of the first ones I made. I will re-do that block. I actually like the arrangement of the first block better than the others! If I make this pattern again, I'll do them that way rather than Jenny's way. It just delays the quilt assembly a bit longer. I still have to finalize borders. I have scraps left so may make a pieced border.

Today I need to make some quilt labels, get 2 sewed on, & get those 2 quilts in the mail. The one is for my gr. son's grad. & one for my niece with the cancer. She's not doing so well. Please keep Linda in your prayers.

Good afternoon Joy,

I also checked DD this am, tempted but did not order. Strangely, I like the new DD more, but can't justify another layer cake. But maybe, this would make a nice quilt for DH's aunt. He's been wanting to make quilts for his last 2 aunts, but hasn't sewn since he fell, mostly because he has been having to go to the office more now than ever.

I agree it's still cheaper to repair than replace. I was really torn last year, but I figured I would be driving for another 20+ years, so I bit the bullet and got another car. It makes sense now when I look back. My van was way too big, filling up was costly, and I was apprehensive of driving out of town alone. Now, with rising gas prices here, I feel rather safe. I am certain I will have it for a long time. I also got a great deal as it was under a year old with less than 5K km.

Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

KPH
May 31st, 2018, 03:31 PM
chelea, I was thinking the same thing. Our town has a big drug problem but fortunately not usually in my neighborhood. (maybe because the sheriff lives across the street and mayor, an FBI agent and the editor of the local paper). A few years ago one of the houses was rented and after dark until around midnight there would be cars going back in the alley that were not from the neighborhood. I use to sit on the backporch at night with Carlie. I mentioned it to the sheriff and things quietly stopped. Other then that I've been lucky. I wouldn't think twice in phoning the police if I saw something unusual.

KPH I hope you have a big dog :-) I find it a comfort since I'm alone too. A smaller dog is good to give warnings but I value a larger dog that can do some damage if it's called for :-) I always feel safe with Carlie around and previously my rottie Rusty. But I'd still call the police if I was uncomfortable with something unusual going on.

I've had dogs, and heaven help me our last little Min. Pincher was ferocious when it came to men coming to the house. He would have nothing to do with it. He didn't even like Howard giving me a kiss or two.

Howard and I were talking about getting me a guide/ service dog. With my lousy peripheral vision, being out and in crowds is frightening to me. I just haven't thought to do anything else about it. I'll need something that won't aggravate my allergies and be great with rambunctious kiddos.

MissMay
May 31st, 2018, 06:53 PM
That is funny, I immediately thought of a lover's tryst. I guess it shows how my mind works, I don't think of drug dealers taking a walk.:lol:

I thought the same thing but what happened the next morning makes me doubt it. Call the Police and inform them of both of the happenings, better safe than sorry.

JCY
May 31st, 2018, 07:50 PM
NANCY - Re the suspicious vehicles in your neighborhood ~ Years ago when I lived in another state, I noticed a lot of cars coming & going from my next door neighbor's house at different hours of the day & night. Most of them looked like high school kids. I got suspicious so started making a list of all the cars & license plates that I observed. After I'd collected my data, I turned it in to the local police dept. & voiced my suspicions. Later, that neighbor (it was 2 single bros. who lived together) was arrested on drug charges. I think he went to jail. It pays to be alert & notice things that may be different in the neighborhood. Do you & your neighbors have any kind of a neighborhood watch?

GuitarGramma
May 31st, 2018, 08:34 PM
NANCY - Re the suspicious vehicles in your neighborhood ~ Years ago when I lived in another state, I noticed a lot of cars coming & going from my next door neighbor's house at different hours of the day & night. Most of them looked like high school kids. I got suspicious so started making a list of all the cars & license plates that I observed. After I'd collected my data, I turned it in to the local police dept. & voiced my suspicions. Later, that neighbor (it was 2 single bros. who lived together) was arrested on drug charges. I think he went to jail. It pays to be alert & notice things that may be different in the neighborhood. Do you & your neighbors have any kind of a neighborhood watch?

We have pot growers in our neighborhood. I was so naive for so long, wondering why the people in that house kept coming home for ten minutes and then leaving again, over and over and over. Then, one night, someone tried to steal some of the newly harvested plants and was murdered 100 feet from my bedroom window. Pretty scary. The detectives who investigated educated me a bit. For example, did you know that some of the newer, more potent strains of marijuana smell like a skunk has sprayed? That's why it's called "skunk weed."

The case was never solved. But one of the people in the pot-growing house moved away within 48 hours. Coincidence? I think not.

JCY
May 31st, 2018, 09:33 PM
Even though pot is legal in Colorado, there are a lot of problems with people having illegal grows--more than allowed for personal use. Meth is a big problem, too. They ruin houses & apts. that are rented. Some properties have to be condemned. It's also a hazard for drivers with some folks driving "high". Drunk drivers are bad enough, but now the potheads are driving & making it dangerous for the rest of us.

LauraP
June 1st, 2018, 12:35 AM
It's hot and muggy here in KS also. Yesterday I did some errands, then cleaned the car so we could sell it today, took the dog for a walk and planted flowers. Then I woke up to find myself face planted in the dirt with my glasses laying across the yard. Seems that was too much heat for my body so it shut down. Please watch yourselves if you are outside.
On a "funner" note, it's turtle migration time here. They are everywhere on the roads, in the ditches, etc.

Star lover
June 1st, 2018, 06:44 AM
Wow Laura......hope you're OK! A good warning to hydrate in this hot humid weather.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
June 1st, 2018, 11:33 AM
We have pot growers in our neighborhood. I was so naive for so long, wondering why the people in that house kept coming home for ten minutes and then leaving again, over and over and over. Then, one night, someone tried to steal some of the newly harvested plants and was murdered 100 feet from my bedroom window. Pretty scary. The detectives who investigated educated me a bit. For example, did you know that some of the newer, more potent strains of marijuana smell like a skunk has sprayed? That's why it's called "skunk weed."

The case was never solved. But one of the people in the pot-growing house moved away within 48 hours. Coincidence? I think not.

This is getting interesting. I was in the yard yesterday, near the fence which backs on a school yard. I said to DH, I think there may have been a skunk spray near the house again. This has happened before with a real skunk spray, and that was much stronger and lasted for days. This, smelled different, but skunky. I know what regular weed smells like, but did not know there were different smells. I have already asked the school to supervise the kids, as they throw their balls at our fence, just for fun. DH is quick to yell, as now our fence has been slopping and some panels need replacing.