PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday hellos...I've been waiting

grammaterry
May 30th, 2018, 09:55 AM
I have been waiting for the regular start of hello but decided I'm it.
It is so soggy here in NC. My ddd's are always talking about wanting to move to the beach but as I wake up every morning to this dampness, I'm thinking not.
Lots of flooding just a bit to the south east of us. Greatful we live up high. Mudslides and flash flooding are just scary.
We went into town yesterday to get a tractor part. It was a peaceful trip. Brakes on the truck worked to DH 's satisfaction.
I haven't sewn in more than a week. The spring cleaning has got the best of me. I really need to paint the bedroom ceiling but just don't know if I have the get up and go.
Hope all are well and happy this morning.

Claire Hallman
May 30th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Good morning. It is wet here again today, thunder rumbling in the distance. I saw a neighbor mention on facebook that his mold had mildew, I understand as Alberto has hovered over us the last several days.
I woke this morning to a baby opossum on our back porch, the cat had invited him to play:icon_rolleyes:. He was playing possum and I was able to get him over the fence and out of the dog's reach with three tries. I didn't touch him with anything but the shovel but I washed my hands twice afterward.:( I sure hope none of his brothers and sisters show up.

I got the binding on another small quilt yesterday, I need to photograph it and send a picture to my DGD since she gave me the fabric for Christmas two years ago.
Zumba this morning then work on putting blocks together, I am always excited about how the next one will look.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 30th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Good morning Terry and all that follow,

Terri, It is sad to see all the flooding, rain and mess happening along the east coast. This is not a good beginning to storm season. It is sunny, hot and humid today, but we are expecting some rain and cooling off by the weekend. I planted some of the large pots of flowers yesterday. I was outside just a few hours, and that was enough for my allergies/cough to be kicked up again. The cough at nighttime leaves me wiped in the morning. Not much to do, but get through it. I will pick up some masks today to wear, as I want to finish yardwork, and get the vegetable garden planted.

I made progress on xmas Quatrefoil quilt. I got the red fabric for cornerstones and have sewn the horizontal sashings. Three rows are now sewn together. I may get the other rows done this morning. My GF Heather is coming over after lunch. She will bring many of her blocks for a lesson on squaring blocks. It should be fun, followed by wine spritzers on the patio. DH is going to the office today. It seems like a long drive for a short work day, but he's hoping work on his project will be over soon.

Good news on my M* order of May 18th. I have been messaging with Tammy, customer service and she has followed through to find the missing fabrics. I see that the order was shipped yesterday, but there is no tracking yet. It will probably be another week before I get it. A nice gesture of M* is they put some Quilter's Cash in my account. I understand there are growing pains, and that is a good thing. I am still hoping to make it to Missouri this year.

Have a good day everyone. Stay dry, cool - depending on your climate.

Carlie Wolf
May 30th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Terry, I lived by the ocean growing up. I thought the humidity was to die for...literally it was difficult to catch my breath LOL. My sister loved it, not me. I liked Vermont and an area of Canada I lived in with much lower humidity. Today is going to be hot and humid again. I've started putting the attic fan on in the mornings and evenings and then just use the a/c for about three hours mid day up in the office/bedroom. Yes, I believe in total comfort for my naps :-)

I had enjoyed Memorial Day and it was nice that the local newspaper live streamed the parade this year and the flyover was fun to watch. Today I'm working on my mix and match trail quilt 4 patches. I was able to use the scraps from the 1 1/4" strips I had made for the the stars and reuse that for the 1 1/4" 4 patch squares. I'm attaching them to a 1 1/4" strips of off white and then I'll get them into 4 patches of off white and scrappy.

Have a good day!

MissMay
May 30th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Good Morning Terry, Don't look for your get up and go around here as mine is missing also. With the help of DS#2 we;ve been clearing out the storage area of the garage and all the stuff needs to be gone through to see what's to keep, donate or thrown out. Finally found my box of UFOs, some nice tops in there that will be winging their way to you for the Shriner's Project. Found the pastel top I made a few years ago in anticipation of the birth of a great grand girl but since all 8 great grands have been boys it has been just hanging around waiting to be quilted. Think I'll finish it just in case it will be needed as I have 3 more grandkids yet to be married. Another cup of coffee and then back to going through the stored stuff.

Cathy F
May 30th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Morning all,
A quick hello this morning as I have to hustle along this morning. Today is our oldest granddaughter's college graduation. Where does that time go seems just like yesterday she was a toddler. So proud of her, getting her degree in Psychology, and then will start grad school for her Master's in Social Work.

Finishing up one more fidgit pad that was requested and then to decide on the next project. May do a bunch of small ones as they go faster and it gets too warm in my sewing room to stay up there for long periods.

Wishing everyone a good day!

JCY
May 30th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Good Morning, Everyone ~ I didn't have time to post earlier. Had to get around & get the car over to the shop before 8 a.m. Now we wait for them to call with an estimate. In addition to replacing the air flow meter/sensor, DH wants them to change the oil, check air filter, check status of brakes & pads, & trouble shoot the air bag light which stays on all the time. Even if it ends up costing quite a bit, it's cheaper than a new car. Charles Givens, a millionaire who died years ago from cancer, said that cheapest car you'll ever own is the one sitting in your garage.

We have sunny skies; it's supposed to be in the 80's today & maybe 90 tomorrow. When I was out this a.m., I noticed the creek is running high due to recent rains & snow pack run-off. It's not over the sidewalk yet. There is a trail that goes all along the Left Hand Creek green belt. It's a nice area along which to walk.

I pieced several Bordered 9-P blocks yest. I plan to make a crib size quilt, so I don't need too many more blocks. I'm using strips from 2 Fusions collection I've had in my stash a long time. I'm using Bonnie Hunter's method of chain piecing so it goes pretty fast. I used that method when I made the Carolina Chain. The secret is to have all the pieces organized & laid out ahead of time on a block board. Bonnie uses a cookie sheet. My block board (I have several sizes) is just 2 layers of cardboard taped together & covered with flannel. That way the pieces don't slide off.

I never watched Roseanne Barr's TV show & had no plans to watch it. Too bad she stuck her foot in her mouth by making those remarks. I didn't have time to read the article, but something flashed across MSN's news gallery this a.m. about now she's blaming it on taking Ambien. Hmmm.

Regarding living by the ocean ~ I lived along the Oregon coast for 4 yrs. I loved the sound of the surf in the background. However...I did not like all the rain & cloudy skies. It can get depressing. It was fun to dig our own clams. We used to collect drift wood to burn in the fireplace. I enjoyed walking along the beach at low tide. It's amazing the stuff that washes up on the shore, esp. after a storm. Some of those storms can be very destructive to beach front properties. I've lived in 8 states; I like Colorado the best. Love all this sunshine!

KPH
May 30th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Good Afternoon All,

Mike's quilt is at the long armer. Yippee! It will be done in 3-4 weeks. It was funny, they had a Skateboard quilt, a Rob Appel pattern) on the table when I went to lay out Mike's. I told the lady it was a Rob Appel pattern, and so was this one. Two in a row on the table.

Mike picked a pattern called macramé for his quilting with an orange thread. It looks like flames and that orange thread will show up nicely on the black back. They have black batting, which is good since I couldn't find black batting when I ordered the backing. So I brought my white backing back home with me. It will get used sooner or later!

We're having another rainy day, day 16. I think we're trying to make up for the 19 days with no rain. It's alright, it keeps the temperatures cooler.

Kids are coming for dinner and cubed steaks are in the crock pot. We'll have rice and green beans to go with it.

Time to get busy again... seems like I'm avoiding cleaning up my sewing room or tackling more of the tool box.

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.