PDA

View Full Version : Good morning, Happy Tuesday

Ginny B
May 29th, 2018, 08:17 AM
It will sure feel like a Monday though. We had a great if busy weekend. It's a bit cloudy this morning but they say we will get some sunshine and it will be a lot warmer later on.

Getting excited about our family get-together in a couple weeks. I can't wait to have my little Zeke here with us for a whole week!! Having all four of my boys together makes my heart very happy. I anticipate much laughter and fun.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Bubby
May 29th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Good Morning Ginny and Everyone,

Ginny, I know how excited ylou are to have your family coming. The time flies by way too quickly.

The Girls are napping after eating their breakfast. I have a load of laundry going because some little someone had an accident. Dottie is probably hiding somewhere.

We and our tribe went to Cuba Saturday but one of our tenants babysat the little girls. Dottie got to stay with Mom & Dad so she could have some peace. Her relationship with Sugar is getting less tense. Dottie still wants nothing to do with Maggie, who is the calmer of the two.

It was brutally hot and humid yesterday so we stayed home and put out the water toys for the Girls. Sugar loves the water and so does Dot, but Maggie doesn't. They had to get a bath and two foot soaks yesterday before they could play in the house. I cooked a pork tenderloin and slaw and baked beans. Easy, quick and yummy. We ate so much while my DD was here that it felt good to have a small meal.

I'm off to do some bookkeeping and hopefully some laundry.

Have a great day Everyone!

JCY
May 29th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Good Morning, All ~ First on the agenda today will be making an appt. to get my car in to get that air flow/meter sensor replaced. I hope they have time to get it in today. Yest. was laundry & sewing. I cut fabric & did more piecing on the Bordered 9-Patch. As barber, I cut both my & DH's hair We had a thunderstorm with some close lightning & big boomers, heavy rain ~4:30 p.m. We're getting into that pattern of afternoon thunderstorms. There was a tornado warning out on the eastern Plains. Some other folks got hail. No more time this a.m. Have a good day.

KPH
May 29th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Good Morning All,

We went for 19 days without rain, now we're 15 days with rain, and more expected today. We're still seeing bands of clouds and showers from Alberto, but nothing like what the other end of the pan handle saw.

Jim and I went through the tool box yesterday and decided it wasn't worth saving. Triples of some tools and some weren't worth saving. Bought a new tool box and I have one set of metric wrenches, one set of standard wrenches, a good set of screwdrivers and ratchet drivers and a wagon full of stuff to get to the salvation army. There are still drawers to go through with the old tool box but the most confusing drawers are taken care of.

There are plenty of things still in the old tool box that make me scratch my head. Jim pulled out one thing and he said he had absolutely no clue what it was. I spouted off that it was a U bolt puller. He was like really, I said sure. Then I looked at him and said you really think I know what that is? I don't have a clue! He laughed, he thought his dad had told me what it was. lol, I did know it was something from vise grips, so I googled images and found it is a welding tool. Since Jim wants me to keep the welder, I'll keep that tool.

I worked in the sewing room, too. I managed to get the sashing done on Mel's quilt. Today, since Mike is off tomorrow, I'm going to get the outer borders on his quilt. That way, he can take me to the long armer's tomorrow if he has enough energy. He's been moving lots of furniture out of Toys R Us.

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

grammaterry
May 29th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Oh my Katrina...going thru all the stuff is enough to pull out a "U" thingamajiggy. My DH has so many tools...gun tools, bullet making tools, forging tools, wood working tools, it goes on and on and then there are the gun safes. I don't know how I could ever sort thru the stuff. I'm sure men feel the same way about all the stuff us girls collect.
The rain is working on my balance. I am feeling so soggy and can barely walk from the balance issue but this too shall pass. At least we are up on the mountain and not in danger of flooding and probably not in danger of mud slides. As long as the dam holds for the ponds I suppose we are safe.
I wish I knew what was causing my trucks battery to drain. DH can charge it up but what if he wasn't here? I'd be stranded. Scary proposition for me.
The childrens visit was so nice. Did I tell you I took two of the girls up to the sewing room (age 10 and 15 ) and they petted fabric and I told them to take a box of it home. So I gave them each a box (one of those USPS flat rate boxes) and told them to put what they wanted in it. They were in heaven planning on their quilt. They are going to make a shriner baby quilt. I have all these sample books from that clothing company...10 banana boxes full)...lots of corduroy ...and that was mostly what was fascinating them. I am feeling like they might be sewists someday. Exciting to pass on my passion. Although I haven't been very passionate lately.
They were feeding my ego though looking at my first grandmothers flower garden in awe and petting my design wall with the beginning of my cathedral window. They were fascinated. More than being polite. I felt proud.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 29th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Good morning ladies,

It's going to be a hot and humid day. Blink here, and you go from winter to summer. I might get some yardwork done this morning before the cleaning lady comes. DH has to go in for a meeting today. It's time to turn on the a/c or retreat to the basement. I am grateful that we are not getting the rains from Alberto. Seems like upper states, Maryland has been hit very hard.

Yesterday I found the perfect red fabric for the cornerstones and skinny 2nd border in my xmas quilt. I also have 3 rows sewn together and may finish assembling the rows this aft. I also dropped by my DD around suppertime for a short visit and help with kids. I haven't seen them since they were sick and then me. The little one is still not well, but is now walking more on his own. Max and Cassou (Cassandra) have certain grown a few inches. Cass's hair was tied in 3 pigtails. DD said she decided she needed a trim, so she took scissors to her own hair. Oh well, it will grow. She has beautiful thick and wavy hair. She is such a happy kid, singing all the time. She is also starting to pull out big words and sentences. It certain helps that MIL was a teacher and would go everyday after school to help out. I asked if they wanted my piano and they said yes. Now to decide when mom and dad feel they can introduce this in their lives. MIL was in an accident and car was totalled, her fault. Just that week her insurance have her 30 day notice that they would no longer insure her. Too many mishaps, fines for speeding and points lost. DD said she has never been a good driver, but she need to get around. She's just 70 and way too active.

There are so many things going on this weekend. There's a quilt show an hour west of here. Art show in the park, 1/2hr south, the Skiff & Catamaran Grand Prix (DH wants to go) and then it's Open doors in the Capital. I have always missed this as we would race in the Grand Prix. Many of the Embassies, galleries and Museums, famous residences, government grounds and other places not usually open to the public are open with tours.

Nice to plan family visits. I supposed if they didn't live as close, we would have quality time rather than the scattered times we share when needed.

Joy - I laugh when you describe your tool woes. I would have a similar problem. my DH had a cottage and 2 homes when I met him, so he had tools and power equipment at all 3 places. Then I think he collects screws, nails and bolts, just loike quilters collect fabrics. When he need something, he just can't sem to put his hand on the right one, size or type, so he buys more. Personally, I would get rid of most now, as he really doesn't do repairs. I have all the essentials we would ever need.

Have a good day. Stay dry, cool, and safe wherever you may be today.

pcbatiks
May 29th, 2018, 10:48 AM
We had a quiet day yesterday. DH has been very busy at work so it was nice that he could relax. He decided to grill some pork chops and sausage and I made potato salad.

I spent the rest of the day quilting my current quilt top. The quilting is finished now and just needs binding. I hope to finish it today. This one will be for our sonís GF. She has surgery a week ago so I thought this would be a good time for a quilty hug.

JCY
May 29th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Suzanne ~ It's Katrina who's going through the tools, not me. Although I have to say I would have to do the same thing here in the event DH dies. However, he's always been a very organized person. No rust in his tool boxes. He has wall cupboards with peg boards & tools are hanging in sight for ready access. I know right where the ones are that I use on a regular basis. I've even used his band saw on occasion. Also the hand saws. However, I would have no use for the drill press or the table saw. We gave the jig saw & the router to my younger son several yrs. ago. The problem with gifting things to the boys is they all live in other states. I keep thinking about all my stuff I need to go through. Files of nursing related things from when I worked & taught some classes. All my genealogy files, family letters, etc. We've lived in this house 40 yrs. so we've accumulated a lot of stuff! My 85 y.o. friend who sold her house last year & moved into a small assisted living room urged me to get going & start sorting now. She ended up giving away (donating) so many things. Let's face it. We can't take it with us.

KPH
May 29th, 2018, 06:52 PM
So true Joy, When I finish the garage and all of the tools, I'll have to start on the storage room. I'm so not looking forward to going through all of his racing/ car and NAPA stuff.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 29th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Suzanne ~ It's Katrina who's going through the tools, not me. Although I have to say I would have to do the same thing here in the event DH dies. However, he's always been a very organized person. No rust in his tool boxes. He has wall cupboards with peg boards & tools are hanging in sight for ready access. I know right where the ones are that I use on a regular basis. I've even used his band saw on occasion. Also the hand saws. However, I would have no use for the drill press or the table saw. We gave the jig saw & the router to my younger son several yrs. ago. The problem with gifting things to the boys is they all live in other states. I keep thinking about all my stuff I need to go through. Files of nursing related things from when I worked & taught some classes. All my genealogy files, family letters, etc. We've lived in this house 40 yrs. so we've accumulated a lot of stuff! My 85 y.o. friend who sold her house last year & moved into a small assisted living room urged me to get going & start sorting now. She ended up giving away (donating) so many things. Let's face it. We can't take it with us.

Joy, Yes, my bad. I knew it was Katrina, but I guess I had not had enough coffee yet. Your friend is right. It's never too early to start going through your papers, files. I know that my DH still has tons of stuff at his dad's home in Kansas. I've only been a few times since we've been married and we did go through stuff when we went. Unfortunately it was in the summer and hard to work in temps over 100 with no a/c. I do not want to leave this for others or us to do while we may be grieving. His dad will be 94 and not of sound mind. There are maybe a great nephew who may help, but they have their lives. It is sad that what we keep is not prized the same by other family members. I guess doing a bit at a time will be easier in the long run.