PDA

View Full Version : Monday morning greetings

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 28th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Good morning everyone,

It's gloomy and we're expecting rain again today, so this probably means no yardwork today. My cold, allergies, whatever I had last week is getting better, but I won't be crawling on the ground picking weeds for a long time.

Yesterday, I layed out the blocks of Quatrefoil on the bed and started sewing the rows together. I was worried that I wouldn't have enough background fabric for all the sashings. Even dreamt about how I could maximize the cutting. Well I figured I needed 71x 12 1/2" strips. When I finished cutting, I had 73 pieces. Yeah. I will use another similar fabric for the first border, as first fabric I bought it all on sale a few years ago. It is Pearl Essence, Ivory with metallic scrolls. I just knew I would use it one day. I love shopping from stash. I have been previewing red fabrics for cornerstone, but haven't found the one that says PICK ME. Since it's not a long weekend here, I will go to LQS. It's been awhile since I have been.

DH has appointment with dermatologist, so I will accompany him. He wants me to point out the moles I think doc should look at. His own doctor was not worried but referred him since he did have spots last year that were removed. Then we will go with his DS#2 to buy a new coffee maker. This will probably mean we will will eat out together. It's the routine.

Have a good long weekend for American forum members. 152769

Ginny B
May 28th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Good morning Suzanne and all to follow. It's a cloudy morning here but at least it's not raining. We hope to get some yard work done today. We went to a garden center yesterday and got herbs, veggies and flowers. They are waiting patiently to be planted. We also did a bit of work in the garage yesterday. It needs a whole lot more attention but we made good progress. A large bag of trash and a lot of recycling went out the door. I also got the rest of our yard paraphernalia out that didn't go into the shed at the end of last summer .

I do have some sewing to do too and, of course, I am getting the house ready for having all my boys and families here in a couple weeks. DH will be doing dinner so I don't need to take care of that. :)

Have a good day everyone.

JCY
May 28th, 2018, 09:01 AM
A Memorial Day Good Morning ~ Gloomy here, too. The warmest morning we've had so far: 64 deg. with heavy cloud cover. Chance of showers. It's supposed to be only in the 70's today, which will be a welcome relief from the 90's.

I made it to the sewing room for an hour or so yest. afternoon. I hand sewed the corners on 3 quilts, cut some fabric, & pieced 1 block of the Bordered 9-P, the smaller sized block of Jenny's tutorial. I'm using 2.5" strips from some Fusions fabrics in my stash that I've had for a long time. For the background, I prefer white fabrics that have a design in them, white on white, rather than just a solid white.

I don't have any plans except laundry & a hair cut for myself & DH. I might attempt some weeding in the flower bed.

KPH
May 28th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Good Morning All,

Happy Memorial Day, a solemn occasion to recognize those that gave their all for our freedoms. I remember being schooled by a veteran once, he said this day wasn't about those that 'lived through it' but those that didn't. Being the cantankerous bitty that I can be, I told him there was never a day that it wasn't important to honor those that made it, and those that didn't. So I'll continue to honor those that have served our country, friends, family and their families that have all given of themselves to serve and protect us.

Yesterday it rained and I rested. The only thing I did in my sewing room was pull fabrics to audition sashing strips for the easy hour glasses. I wasn't planning on using sashing when I ordered fabric for the outer borders. That's why I like taking blocks to a local store to audition players for the part. I know I won't be going anywhere this week to find something so it's make do time. When Mike got home from work, I took him in to show him the options. He agreed it needed sashing, first. then we picked the gold fabric that was on the back of the Missouri Crossroads I made. Which is kind of cool, because that was another one of my MIL's friends.

Plans for this week are pretty simple, Mike works every day but Wednesday. I'll be working on the Women's Bible Study for the week (this should be interesting since it's been a long time since I've had to 'study' like this one is set up). Mike's border fabric arrived Saturday, so that needs to be cut and sewn on. Mel's sashing and borders need to be done. So, I'm hoping for a couple of finishes this week. I'm planning to work on some Secret Santa items this week. Then there's another baby on the way at church. That should keep me busy and out of trouble, too much.

Prayers for those in need- for healing, strength, wisdom and hope. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings, and prayers of thanksgiving for all of those that gave their all for our freedoms and peace for their families.

JulieC
May 28th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Happy Monday Morning, Everyone!

It will be a hot one here in NE Ohio, highs in the upper 80's. I put the flag out this morning; it was humid already. Not much planned for today. I need to make a quick trip to the grocery store, then I will probably spend the rest of the day in the air conditioning. There's always cleaning to do.

I made my first pineapple quilt block last night, using the pineapple trim tool and left-over 2-1/2" strips from another project. For a first try, I am quite pleased with the results. There is a lot of waste with the 2-1/2" strips (Jenny used 1-1/2" in her video), although they recommend keeping the scraps for crumb piecing. My last strip was too wide when I went to sew the corners on, but I had (fortunately) purchased the Pineapple Play book, which explained I needed to trim the last strip using the 45 degree angle trim line before sewing the corners on. I don't think Jenny needed to do that because she used the smaller strips.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

grammaterry
May 28th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Two of our DD's and their families came yesterday and whoa am I tired today. We grilled out . They helped us take the cover off the swimming pool. First time DH an I have had help with that. I really don't know if it was easier. Seemed a lot of instruction was needed. THe GC's played in the woods and eventhough the rain threatened us, it only leaked humidity a few times.
They gave me a mothers day and birthday gift that was just too much. I was a little embarrassed but they said you only are 70 once. I don't know...with my memory, I may do it a couple more times. lol

MissMay
May 28th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Cloudy here also but looks as if the sun is trying to peek through.

DS#2 did a quick job yesterday getting the garage cleared up. One half of garage is DH's woodworking area other half is my area with dryer, old kitchen cabinets and tall open storage shelves. DH had been tossing boxes and other bulky stuff into my area covering access to the storage shelves where i stored quilting stuff. Found my UFO box with several panels for kid quilts and tops I forgot about. Most will be going to grammaterry for Shriner's quilts. One top I'm keeping is the simple pink baby quilt I made when the great grand kids began to arrive. Since all 8 have been boys it stays in the UFO box a bit longer.

Today I'll be going through some of the other boxes. So far I found a pack of quilting theme birthday cards, a sewing travel kit all pinned together (lucky the instructions were there), some extra quilting tools and odds and ends of fabrics I don't remember having. Getting another cup of coffee and then off to see what surprises are lurking in the rest of the boxes.

toggpine
May 28th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Yesterday was pretty productive. The weather was nice and we each got some projects done. Eric finished off the back deck and I vacuumed the cobwebs out of the barn. Well, that sounds strange.
I appreciate the spiders doing their work catching the bugs. After a couple seasons the dust build up on their webs gets pretty bad, and they aren't catching flies any more. I use the shop vac to suck up the dead ones. The milk/feed area looks much better today. I need to put away all of the stuff that has collected on the work counter over the winter. (Flat-surface-itis seems to strike all of my counters!)
I waited to breed the does until late in the season since I was working full time, so I will be expecting our first babies of the season in the next few weeks. I kinda thought I should have the place cleaned up and ready to go before the kids arrive and I get back into the swing of milking.
I have a bit more work on the borders on Jane's retirement quilt then I can trim it and get the binding put on. It looks like I might actually get it done on time! Whoo Hoo!
We are headed over to the son's house for lunch/supper today. I kinda want to stay home and work around the farm, but we promised to pick up Mom and take her with us, so we have to go now.
If I want to get any stitches in, I suppose I had better wrap this up, top off the coffee cup, and get to it.

KPH
May 28th, 2018, 04:37 PM
So much for plans. I was at the dining room table when the front door was being unlocked. Only Jim comes in that way, so I wasn't too surprised. We worked in the garage. DH's tool box was a disaster (as far as I was concerned), but he could find anything he wanted in it. It just made me feel like the crud was crawling up my arms every time I tried to find something in it. Jim started pulling stuff out and sorting out doubles and triples of things keeping the ones in the best condition. By the time we got to the second drawer, he was like this tool box is shot. It's rusting out, everything is covered in rust dust and you don't need to be around any of these fine particulates with your allergies. So we made a trip to Lowe's. I bought a Kobalt tool box. It has the drawer liners and it's pretty slick! He ordered it on line for pick up since we couldn't get anyone to get it down off the top shelf and left for lunch. He went and picked up the truck and we picked the tool box up. We've started transferring stuff. and I'll be labeling the drawers so at least I know where some of that stuff is. There are things we left on the table to check with Mike to see if he wants. My wagon is filled with things to take to donate. Tomorrow morning, I'll go back and do some more work (like wipe off all of those nasty tools before we put them in my new tool box). It's another case of making things worse before they get better. I hope Mike can dig a path through when he gets home tonight!

grammaterry
May 28th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I've been toting boxes of "stuff" to the little cabin we use for stuff we might want someday but not today. While there, I found 4 Louis Icard pictures that will be perfect I my new room so I brought them up.
Oh yes...battery on truck was capoot this morning. We don't know what could be draining it. I haven't used it for 3 days but that shouldn't be it. So DH charged it.
I hung the pictures...or tried. DH saw me and went and got his level....MR PERFECTIONIST. So I quit that and hand cleaned the living room curtains. I made them from someones leftover drapes about 5 years ago and they are dirty but not worth the dry cleaners so I put them in the dryer and got lots of lint and dust and then I sprayed the liners with cleaner and got all the fly droppings off and hung them. 16 feet of drapery is a lot heavier than I remembered the last time I put them up.
Miss May...I heard you are sending quilts...Thanks...Shriners will be excited.
Its still raining and I want to go to the childrens cabin to get the sheets changed and straighten it up but I don't want to walk the quarter mile in the pouring rain.
Making fajitas tonight with the leftover ribeyes from yesterdays cookout. GC's aren't eating as much as I estimated yet. BUt the watermelon and cantelope are gone!! All the grapes and carrots and olives and cheese and crackers...They are growing. The boys especially. Ben must be 6 ft (he's 13...) Jack has to be at least 5*10 (also 13) Isabella is 5 *8 (15) Tall kids. Little kids are growing like weeds too. They will all (10 of em) be back the end of June to spend a week with us. We call it Camp Gramma...but Grampa is the main attraction.