PDA

View Full Version : Precious gifts

URIBARRI-MAYOR
May 25th, 2018, 12:15 PM
A while ago comment in the forum about the twinning of my town "Plentzia" with "Placentia" a beautiful vilage of the Labrador in Canada, after the visits of Mayor of Placentia to Plentzia and the Mayor of Plentzia to Placentia, a couple of weeks ago we retourned to receive the visit of some inhabitants of the Canadian town and brought two gifts for my town. The first was a "Arce" simbolic tree from Canada, and a beautiful patchwork tapestry made by the women of Placentia. The tree was planted in a small garden in the middle of the town and near the river from where the boats left to fish in Newfoundland, it is planted in front of a shoot of the "Arbol de Guernica" which is our simbolic tree, and the tapestry has placed it in the City Hall in a room of easy access so that the whole town can see it and then deposit it in the hall of the flags and the photos of the Mayors. And this is the story that I wanted to tell you and show you the tapestry that I love, because as I always say in my country the patchwork is not very well known, and you can see from the pictures on the tapestry you can see152730152731152732152733152734the names of the two towns, their flags, and the simbols of each country as well as the landscapes of Placentia incluiding the cemetery where the headstone of some Basque sailors with their names are preserved in "Euskera" our language, and signs of our town , the dedication can be read in three languages, English, Basque and Spanish, I hope you like it, it has given us made very happy and we hope to enjoy these precious gifts many year

SallyO'Sews
May 25th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Beautiful story, and a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing with us.

Midge
May 25th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Lovely story. What a wonderful way to recognize this partnership.

chelea
May 25th, 2018, 04:17 PM
This is really heart-warming, especially in this day and age when all we seem to talk about are our differences. It's wonderful that the sister cities share this strong bond across the miles.

Sandy Navas
May 25th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Thanks for sharing this fantastic story - beautiful.

sew-what2015
May 25th, 2018, 06:01 PM
Thanks for sharing. I have visited Placentia on the island of Newfoundland, Canada. It is a very historic area. The whole island has amazing scenery. I have also been to Spain but it was just to a resort place. I would like to visit your local area some day.

JCY
May 25th, 2018, 11:23 PM
Lovely story & beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing.

Monique
May 26th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Well that is pretty cool and thanks for sharing this with us. Someday I will visit Newfoundland.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 26th, 2018, 10:23 AM
That is fascinating and a cool project to display. I have only been to Newfoundland once, in St John's, and found it to be a beautiful landscape, interesting people and different cuisine. DH wants to visit in the future, and I welcome this.