PDA

View Full Version : This Is Gross...BEWARE...

Bubby
May 21st, 2018, 08:57 AM
Yesterday Jeff came indoors and asked me if I would like to see something unbelievable. Of course I went outdoors with him. On our cedar porch wall, above the rockers where we sit all the time, was a black snake about 4 feet long. OMG!! Snakes can be everywhere apparently. Together we got him off the wall and into a bucket with a lid and relocated him to the woods. Jeff said, for the hundredth time, 'Never kill a black snake because they eat poisonous snakes." DD and I researched this topic and found that black snakes do NOT kill poisonous snakes but they might eat one that's dead. This is just a line that men tell women so they don't have to deal with a snake!

Cathy F
May 21st, 2018, 09:12 AM
I am deathly afraid of snakes, I can't even go in a pet store where they keep them behind glass.

Monique
May 21st, 2018, 09:13 AM
I will NOT thank you for the post and, it gave me the willies. I HATE snakes.

TMP
May 21st, 2018, 09:14 AM
I am scared to death of a snake any size or any kind of snake. I do not care if they want hurt me. Your picture gives me cold chills.

Star lover
May 21st, 2018, 09:16 AM
I don't like poisonous snake, but I know black snakes are harmless. We had one in our front yard as a kid. Everyone was screaming and having cows......my dad killed it, just to have some peace in the neighborhood. Ours was about as long, but much....MUCH bigger around. Snakes don't give me the willies.......now spiders.....that's another story.......!!!

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 21st, 2018, 09:48 AM
I hate snakes. I'm glad for you that it has been relocated.

Nwmnteacher
May 21st, 2018, 09:55 AM
I used to have nightmares as a child about falling into a place where snakes were manufactured! It got so I was afraid to go sleep. To this day, I'm terrified of snakes.

Jeanne

Bubby
May 21st, 2018, 09:56 AM
I HATE SNAKES, especially the ones that startle me. Imagine if my DD and I were sitting in the rockers and this thing reached out to us. Good Grief!!!

KPH
May 21st, 2018, 10:07 AM
We had a black snake that lived in one of our sheds in NC. I didn't go into that shed and it could have burned to the ground and it wouldn't have hurt my feelings.

The King Snake is the one that can eat poisonous snakes, but prefers other fare. There was one of those around our house too.

I knew they could climb, because we found a rather large skin in one of the trees in the back yard one time. It's a good thing I really like being indoors. I didn't go out beyond the cleared area after that!

grammaterry
May 21st, 2018, 10:14 AM
I too am terrified of snakes but I do know they are territorial. So, if you have black snakes, you probably don't have rattle snakes or copperheads.

auntstuff
May 21st, 2018, 10:19 AM
Yesterday Jeff came indoors and asked me if I would like to see something unbelievable. Of course I went outdoors with him. On our cedar porch wall, above the rockers where we sit all the time, was a black snake about 4 feet long. OMG!! Snakes can be everywhere apparently. Together we got him off the wall and into a bucket with a lid and relocated him to the woods. Jeff said, for the hundredth time, 'Never kill a black snake because they eat poisonous snakes." DD and I researched this topic and found that black snakes do NOT kill poisonous snakes but they might eat one that's dead. This is just a line that men tell women so they don't have to deal with a snake!

Actually, I once spent parts of 4 hours watching a blacksnake kill and eat a copperhead. LONG time swallowing!

Swedish leo
May 21st, 2018, 10:48 AM
I like snakes.

Once when the kids was little. around 6-7 years old we went to a zoo and we took a picture with a gigantic boa constrictor around our shoulders! That was fun and the kids were very impressed with there mommy for quilt a long time after.

To my surprise the snake was warm and dry to the touch.

I do not want to keep a snake for a pet but I like them. Here in Sweden we do not have more then 1 poison snake and it is not very common to see it.

EnumclawGramma
May 21st, 2018, 12:15 PM
I do not like snakes! I think the only snake that lives in my area is Garden snakes, thankfully! And out in the woods where we used to live there was a big one that hung out all over the place in my yard, and I never knew where he/she? would pop up next! Whenever I worked in the yard I had to be on my guard. In our new place, I've never seen one and I love not having that hanging over my head when I'm out there!
When my DD lived with us she had a Boa! I worried all the time it would eat my cat, even though it was locked securely in a VERY secure cage! She fed it live mice and it was getting big enough to start on larger prey. She rehomed it. I was happy!!

Carlie Wolf
May 21st, 2018, 12:55 PM
Where I lived up in Canada there weren't any poisonous ones. I still don't like them and that was one of Carlie's jobs too. She took care of them. Once I moved here I just forget about the poisonous ones and that's not a good idea. At the shelter we'd occasionally see one up in the eaves of the ceiling, also under the sheds. The first time I offered Carlie's services only to be told it looked like a poisonous one. I almost dropped dead, I didn't know. Last year a neighbor had a six foot long fat one in her yard. It got into her garden. I'm glad it didn't get into my backyard.

LauraP
May 21st, 2018, 01:15 PM
I like snakes. They eat mice and voles and frogs, all of which I like too but not in great numbers. When the girls were little they would catch the water and grass snakes and play with them. The rule was you can play with them but you have to put them back in the same place you found them so they could find their way home.

Jean Sewing Machine
May 21st, 2018, 01:43 PM
When you live out in the country, you are in snake habitat. Better learn to coexist! But I found a copperhead in my basement bathtub when I lived in the country ( at 430 am!). That was more coexistence than I could stand! Hubby headed for the hills and let me take care of the dispatching of the unwanted visitor! I had to get creative to snuff him out without destroying my fiberglass tub!

auntiemern
May 21st, 2018, 03:06 PM
Much like Jeff, we would never kill a black snake. We had one that was here for a very long time , whose tail touched the ground with hubby holding him up straight up with his arm above his head.. The thing was HUGE. A couple of years ago I saw one ACROSS the road, going through the neighbors yard. That one was HUGE too, at least 8ft. I don't particular care for them,...i just want nothing to do with them. My DD on the other hand would have more than likely picked it up by its head and moved it to the woods. She did that at a neighbors a few years back, and all the other women were freaking out and screaming to kill it. They are good though as far as keeping the mouse population down.

JCY
May 21st, 2018, 03:49 PM
I'm not fond of snakes either. The only snakes I've seen on our property since we've lived here are garter snakes. They're harmless. The news already is warning people who hike in open space & area trails to watch out for rattle snakes, to stay on the trails, & keep their dogs close by on the leash. One of my friends who lives up in a rural area got bit by a rattle snake years ago. Too far away for an ambulance. Her husb. loaded her in the truck & got her to the hosp. ASAP. She was treated with anti-venom, spent time in the hosp. & recovered.

Mom23
May 21st, 2018, 04:45 PM
After seeing your pictures I'm in my office working with my feet up in the chair. It's not that snakes scare me, I just can't stand them. I once had a snake in my washing machine, which was in the garage of our old house. After we moved into town I was mowing and the roll bar on the tractor hit a tree branch. I snake fell on my shoulder and I totally freaked out. The kids were little and didn't know what to do. I left the mower running and ran in the house screaming. Called hubby to come home from work to take care of it. Of course it was long gone. For a long time I wouldn't mow under the trees, just a perfect circle around them. He now keeps the branches trimmed so I can mow again. People will hate me for it but if I see a snake when mowing I will try to chase it down and chop it.

MRoy
May 21st, 2018, 08:19 PM
I'm terrified of snakes and, while living in an old farmhouse in the country, I learned they can climb up the side of buildings and get into any space a mouse can get into. We found black snakes in the house at lease 4 times, the last time was in the dark when my feet brushed against the snake...heart attack time! That snake was going through a small crack by the washer drain pipe when DH shot it, and (quoting DH) "blew the washer drain all to h*ll". As far as I'm concerned, the only good snake is a dead one.

Carolnnc
May 21st, 2018, 08:53 PM
My parents were afraid of snakes & I got several spankings as a child for bringing a snake into the house, playing with it for a while, putting it down on the floor & walking away. I'll never forgot the day my mom opened the drawer under the stove to get a cake pan & a snake was curled up in the pan. She screamed, spanked me & then dad spanked me when he got home from work.
Give me a snake over a mouse or rat any day of the week.

MSN
May 21st, 2018, 09:18 PM
When I moved into this house 25 years ago, a friend who was helping me move brought me to the basement and pointed out the garter snake that was curled up next to the furnace. We relocated the snake to the woods behind the house. A couple of days later, I found another snake near the furnace. He (or she) was also flung out into the woods. The next day, I walked into the kitchen, flipped on the light, and saw a snake slithering across the kitchen floor. I lost it and started screaming, "How in the h*** are you getting into my house?" It was all for naught, though. Snakes will not break their code of silence.

I called several pest control companies until I finally found one that would even deal with snakes. The technician came out to my house and advised me that the snakes were crawling up the foundation and were slithering behind the siding. He advised me to caulk the juncture where the siding meets the concrete block foundation. And so, caulk I did. I spent the next two days lying on my back on crushed rock, poking my caulk gun up behind the siding and sealing it up. Things were great for a few days until I found yet another snake in the family room. I called the pest control company and talked to the owner, who was a wildlife biologist. He told me that because it was autumn, the snakes were looking for a warm place. They had already crawled into the house, and were now nesting in the concrete block walls. He said that caulking was the worst thing I could have done, because I had now trapped them in my house. And the cherry on the cake was that before hibernating in my foundation, they had already bred, and baby snakes would arrive in the spring.

Understandably, I was not pleased to hear this. I protested that I had applied the caulk because that's what his technician recommended. The owner maintained that he was not responsible for the advice his technician dispensed. I begged to differ. "He drives your truck, wears your uniform, and represents your company. I hired your company to advise me on how to deal with this problem. And now you're telling me that you are not responsible for that advice?" If memory serves, the phrases "Better Business Bureau" and "Attorney General's Office" may have passed my lips. There was a long pause, and then he agreed to a compromise. In the spring, his company would come out and remove the caulk. Once all the snakes had moved out for the summer, his company would return and re-apply the caulk. In the meantime, an occasional snake may come out of hibernation, and I would have to deal with it.

I had a lonely winter, as most of my friends were too creeped out to visit. I got saddled with the nickname "Medusa." And yes, I had to deal with sticky board traps and disposing of an occasional snake. Actually, even after the unplugging and re-plugging, I continued to have snakes in the house occasionally until I discovered they were entering under the concrete front steps. When I replaced the steps, I had the contractor plug the hole under the steps. Haven't had a problem since. It did take me a few years, though, before I lost the uneasiness about walking barefoot in the house.

Sorry if this story traumatized anyone. :icon_scared:

Mom23
May 21st, 2018, 09:23 PM
OMG!! My house would have been for sale after the first snake! A friend found a snake in her basement storage room and now I won't go in ours without kicking the door and making lots of noise before entering. Hubby has been warned, if a snake is found in our house it will be on the market.

When I moved into this house 25 years ago, a friend who was helping me move brought me to the basement and pointed out the garter snake that was curled up next to the furnace. We relocated the snake to the woods behind the house. A couple of days later, I found another snake near the furnace. He (or she) was also flung out into the woods. The next day, I walked into the kitchen, flipped on the light, and saw a snake slithering across the kitchen floor. I lost it and started screaming, "How in the h*** are you getting into my house?" It was all for naught, though. Snakes will not break their code of silence.

I called several pest control companies until I finally found one that would even deal with snakes. The technician came out to my house and advised me that the snakes were crawling up the foundation and were slithering behind the siding. He advised me to caulk the juncture where the siding meets the concrete block foundation. And so, caulk I did. I spent the next two days lying on my back on crushed rock, poking my caulk gun up behind the siding and sealing it up. Things were great for a few days until I found yet another snake in the family room. I called the pest control company and talked to the owner, who was a wildlife biologist. He told me that because it was autumn, the snakes were looking for a warm place. They had already crawled into the house, and were now nesting in the concrete block walls. He said that caulking was the worst thing I could have done, because I had now trapped them in my house. And the cherry on the cake was that before hibernating in my foundation, they had already bred, and baby snakes would arrive in the spring.

Understandably, I was not pleased to hear this. I protested that I had applied the caulk because that's what his technician recommended. The owner maintained that he was not responsible for the advice his technician dispensed. I begged to differ. "He drives your truck, wears your uniform, and represents your company. I hired your company to advise me on how to deal with this problem. And now you're telling me that you are not responsible for that advice?" If memory serves, the phrases "Better Business Bureau" and "Attorney General's Office" may have passed my lips. There was a long pause, and then he agreed to a compromise. In the spring, his company would come out and remove the caulk. Once all the snakes had moved out for the summer, his company would return and re-apply the caulk. In the meantime, an occasional snake may come out of hibernation, and I would have to deal with it.

I had a lonely winter, as most of my friends were too creeped out to visit. I got saddled with the nickname "Medusa." And yes, I had to deal with sticky board traps and disposing of an occasional snake. Actually, even after the unplugging and re-plugging, I continued to have snakes in the house occasionally until I discovered they were entering under the concrete front steps. When I replaced the steps, I had the contractor plug the hole under the steps. Haven't had a problem since. It did take me a few years, though, before I lost the uneasiness about walking barefoot in the house.

Sorry if this story traumatized anyone. :icon_scared:

Pandabear
May 21st, 2018, 11:29 PM
We have copperheads. 2 dogs- 3 copperhead snakes bites later...rather have black snakes. We have those too, they just don’t mess with the dogs.

TMP
May 22nd, 2018, 12:19 AM
I just don't get it , maybe I am missing something. People who have snakes as pets. I don't see what joy a snake could bring you. I have heard of people keeping frozen mice in the freezer to feed them. ( that is just gross ) Get a dog or a cat or heck a pot belly pig if you want something different. Something you can love on and will love you in return.

quilt_gems_25
May 22nd, 2018, 01:54 AM
I am the person in the neighborhood people call when they see a snake in their yard. I have spent several hours cutting out a black snake from a mesh fence. Snakes are creepy. It is just that I do not like mice more. So far garter, corn, and black snakes are around, but copperheads are known to be nearby.
One year, there was a battle between a snake and our outdoor fish. Eventually the fish won but not before 20 or more fish became fast food for the snake.

geegeequilts
May 23rd, 2018, 03:50 PM
OMG!!!!!!! NOT GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SNAKE WARNING!!!! DON"T LIKE THEM!! SCARES THE BEJEEBERS OUT OF ME!!!!!!!!!

JMHO!!
NO LOL HERE!!!

Gina

Vonnie
May 23rd, 2018, 10:17 PM
A few years ago we thought we had a mouse in the house. DH set a mouse trap. While watching TV we heard the mouse trap snap. DH went to the trap and said to me "You have got to see this!" In the mouse trap was a small snake. It was about a foot long and was as thick as two pencils together. It was not a poisonous one. After living in Florida for 4 years, I'm not much freaked out by the critters that can get in the house. When we lived overseas, we discovered a scorpion on the wall. That did freak me out some.

14margarette
May 23rd, 2018, 11:26 PM
Ewww. I really hate snakes, I think if see one I will immediately run. I feel like it will bite or attack me.

LLLinda
May 24th, 2018, 10:23 PM
C'mon now. You have to finish the story. Tell us how you got creative. My mom trapped a mouse in a tall box she had turned on its side and then sat it up. She had a broom in the box for what reason I don't know, but she stirred around and around until they both were exhausted. She gave up and took the box outside a ways and let it go.

FaintlyArtistic
May 25th, 2018, 02:29 AM
They are busy eating rodents, so they are actually good guys! Rattlers on the other hand....the only good rattler is a dead one! I have seen my fair share here. Don't get me started on scorpions...

Bubby
May 25th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Linda, Jeff pulled it down with a pitchfork and had a 5 gallon bucket with a lid ready. He dropped that long thing into the bucket and relocated it to the woods, hopefully never to be seen again. We figured out that it was after the eggs or baby birds in a nest built in the rafters of our porch. He was headed in the direction of the nest, so hopefully the birds/eggs were spared.

Snip Snip
May 28th, 2018, 02:34 PM
I know many people are really afraid of snakes but I never understood why. The startle factor is one thing--and understandable. If you are walking along or opening the pantry door and come upon a snake, it will startle you. But so would a chipmunk or a robin. But you wouldn't run to get a hoe and chop a robin to death.

My mom was really scared of snakes, but she would only attempt to kill ones she knew were poisonous. I think people assume snakes are out to get us, but really, they aren't. It is a one-sided war.

I have never really thought snakes make good pets, as they don't show affection and don't seem to interact with their owner except when they are hungry.

But, if I could keep one successfully, I would have a little green snake for a pet. They are small, beautiful and totally harmless. The most beautiful shade of spring green you ever saw, and about as big around as a pencil. But they don't live long in captivity, so I guess I won't try. I'm just a big kid, always finding turtles, frogs and cool looking bugs.

jjkaiser
May 28th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Nope I definitely do not like snakes. When we go to the zoo I will not even go into the reptile house. Many years ago we lived in Kentucky and had a big veggie garden in our back yard and behind that was a creek, or you might say that creek was a snake magnet. One year I was out picking zucchini, barefoot, and reached my arm out and was about to wrap my hand around one of the stalks when it suddenly moved. It was a copperhead! My next door neighbor came over and shot it with his pistol after we spent a half hour trying to find it cause it had moved. I never went barefoot into the garden again after that!

Carol336
December 28th, 2018, 10:53 AM
I don't care what color they are - I'M SCARED TO DEATH OF SNAKES

MissMay in Jersey
December 28th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I thought the snake was a decorative piece of black metal in your wall but then I don't really know much about snakes. City girl that hasn't seen a snake that wasn't in captivity. Glad Jeff got it relocated.

dwil23
December 28th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Not a fan of snakes, but would rather have a black snake than any others. While they may not "eat" poisonous snakes, they are extremely territorial and will keep them on the run. I just read about the pecans (coconuts) and mice in another post, they will eat them, and I would rather have a black snake outdoors than vermin indoors. Fortunately, we don't have to deal with mice, etc. - at least so far. I do have to beware as I walk along the sidewalk to work at night because some of the tiniest little mice you have ever seen run back and forth between the trash cans.

Suzette
December 28th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I am a vet tech and we work with (pet) snakes all the time. Once you understand them, there is little to fear. But I do understand this is ingrained in many of us. The thing is, black snakes are very beneficial to the environment. They kill lots of rodents and help keep that population down. They are harmless to humans as well. Snakes don't deserve to die just because we fear them. (And I know many of you would never, ever do this, but there are also a whole lot of folks who think that it's okay to kill them just because they fear them.)

I am happy that you relocated this snake and let him do what he is on this earth to do - do his part to help keep a balanced eco-system that benefits all of us.

bakermom
December 28th, 2018, 12:47 PM
manyyears ago my parents had a friend that worked for a couple that lived in the woods. She did a variety of jobs for them when they were out of town. They always got black snakes in the house and they tolerated them. She was given instructions not to bother the snakes. HA1 If they were not home and one was foolish enough to show itself, she dispatched with a hoe! such a funny sight-she was barely 5 ft. tall but had a mean swing with a hoe!

201 Treadler
December 28th, 2018, 05:04 PM
looks like some fancy black smith iron mongery
not keen on snakes either,
saw a grass snake at Druids temple, that was enough for me to advance quickly to the car.