PDA

View Full Version : Another school shooting in Texas

DeniseSm
May 18th, 2018, 01:43 PM
At least eight dead. I can't process this. I need help. Seriously. Sitting here crying. What can I do?

LauraP
May 18th, 2018, 02:28 PM
First of all, quit listening to the news! It's depressing. If the world comes to an end someone will let you know:) Then pray for not only the families of the victims and those wounded but for the family of the shooter. Can you imagine how they feel knowing they were living with someone capable of doing such a thing? I often wonder what would happen if they quit reporting the shooters names. It seems like so many want their fifteen minutes of fame and think this is how to get it. Maybe if they were never named they would find a more positive way to get noticed.

KPH
May 18th, 2018, 02:30 PM
First of all, quit listening to the news! It's depressing. If the world comes to an end someone will let you know:) Then pray for not only the families of the victims and those wounded but for the family of the shooter. Can you imagine how they feel knowing they were living with someone capable of doing such a thing? I often wonder what would happen if they quit reporting the shooters names. It seems like so many want their fifteen minutes of fame and think this is how to get it. Maybe if they were never named they would find a more positive way to get noticed.

I agree, remember back when there were weekly hijackings of airplanes? They quit reporting them and the recurrence dropped... and it wasn't TSA checks that stopped the problem.

MaggieSue
May 18th, 2018, 04:08 PM
I agree I do not want to hear the name of the shooter, I want to see photos of the victims, and hear about them, and only them.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 18th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Oh my. After seeing this post, I turned on my US news. It is just awful. I don't know much, but isn't there the death penalty for premeditated murder in Texas?

I agree, news are seldom good. Also saw flash across my screen that Boeing 737 went down after leaving Havana - over 100 dead.

TMP
May 18th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I saw it flash across my phone and I didn't want to turn on the tv, to hear all these so called experts, journalist and politicians dissect it to death. Nothing is really being done to prevent this. It just breaks my heart. Sending prayers to the families and community effected.

Monique
May 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Terrible news. According to CNN The Santa Fe High School Shooting in Texas Was the 22nd School Shooting This Year. Thoughts and prayers for the community.

Carlie Wolf
May 18th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Back in the 90's for a Criminology college course we were assigned to note 3 items per day taken from a newspaper, tv or radio that had to due with a tragedy as a result of a crime. This needed to go on for a month. Out of a class of 24 no one completed the assignment for the whole month. I'm not sure that anyone could get through two weeks of it. Most complained of depression and I do recall I felt a severe dread by the second week. We are constantly bombarded with negatives, no wonder suicide rates are increasing along with depressions. Good news does not sell media news. Can you imagine the result of equal amounts of good news? I suspect that there has always been bad things happening but now it appears to be glorified. Ive seen an increase of this since that course in the 90's and I have to say the only difference is that more and more in this century we've added fear as an element to the negativity.

auntiemern
May 18th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Actually the 7th "school shooting" which is 7 to many. I don't know why some MSM outlets inflate the numbers like that to include other shootings, that are not "school shootings"

LLLinda
May 19th, 2018, 01:37 AM
Are we headed towards mental evaluations for students? If so how young and how in depth do we go? Some parents and students will object and schools want to keep the parents happy. We need to find a way to help students before they become shooters.

quiltsRfun
May 19th, 2018, 01:46 AM
I often wonder what would happen if they quit reporting the shooters names. It seems like so many want their fifteen minutes of fame and think this is how to get it. Maybe if they were never named they would find a more positive way to get noticed.

It really bothered me that after the Las Vegas shooting whenever they reported about it they'd show a picture of the hotel with the shooter's picture superimposed on it. I got so sick of seeing that picture. And I still see it occasionally. He doesn't deserve that kind of recognition. If news outlets feel the name should be reported, maybe announce it once or twice and after that refer to him as "the shooter." And please quit adding to his "fame" by plastering his picture all over the news.

Nwmnteacher
May 19th, 2018, 09:48 AM
As a teacher of 38 years, I've seen a huge change in the students who walked into my classroom. The biggest change was in the number students who came from "broken homes", homes where the man and woman were not married, and homes where all the kids had different dads. Those children almost always had problems with attendance, getting homework done, parents NOT attending conferences, behavior, etc., etc. I taught in a small town, and if it affected our small school, what must it be like in larger cities. I know in my heart the changes in our society concerning the role of the dad have affected the young generation. Kids need a dependable father figure in their lives. They also need to be allowed to deal with the consequences of their actions from a very young age, without adults stepping in to "make it better". That's my 2 cents, gleaned from years of working with parents and kids.

Jeanne

bakermom
May 19th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Actually the 7th "school shooting" which is 7 to many. I don't know why some MSM outlets inflate the numbers like that to include other shootings, that are not "school shootings"

Agree! but they count anything with 4? or more people a "mass" shooting, even though most are domestic violence or in connection with another crime. Not that makes it any less tragic. Also many explosive devices were found in the school so the shooting was only the beginning of what could have been an even bigger tragedy

SuzyQue
May 19th, 2018, 11:07 AM
When I hear of news that is unsettling to my soul, I turn on my favorite music and piece till my heart is mended. I know it is a little like sticking my head in the sand, but my heart can’t continue to take the pain. It is my little way of healing and making donations to heal some other people's pain. It doesn’t solve the problem......but it is how I can cope.

cv quilter
May 19th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Prayers for all of the families and victims of this horrific shooting. God Bless them all.

Denise, this is hard to process, I agree. Prayers for you, too. My heart aches.

tsladaritz
May 19th, 2018, 05:58 PM

I agree!! I think a lot of things like this are somewhat contrived in that someone builds it up and makes sure everyone knows all about it. If ti was not such a news item and I am sure lawyers and such were not jumping on it, fewer people would do this.

Astatoo
May 19th, 2018, 06:57 PM
My two cents....people/news should not make it the focus of all stories-interviewing everyone and anyone who may have had contact with the shooter or one of the victims. Report the NEWS then allow those affected to grieve in peace. I feel just the constant nagging by reporters does not allow those poor people to grieve properly. Also children need to be taught how to handle and accept disappointment and failure. AND the adults in the lives of children need to stop the bullying/mistreatment of others, as a former teacher I can tell you stories of parents who were the biggest bullies around. Last night DH and I went to the local pub for a fish dinner and every tv in the place was on a news station this was the only story on. We caught the owners attention and asked if he could change the station. He said sure and changed it-all of the tvs- in the bar rooms most everyone started a huge round of applause. We know it happened, it is tragic but do we really need a constant reminder.
Prayers for all the victims.

MSN
May 19th, 2018, 09:22 PM
I think the 24/7 news channels end up playing all this stuff on an endless loop because they have a lot of air time to fill. As you noted, Astatoo, report it once, then move on to something else. Don't try to analyze it ad nauseam.

The general public is part of the problem, too, though. If you watch these "news" channels and accept the broadcast as the gospel truth without thinking critically about it, you are conditioned to believe that it is true. So the folks who watch nothing but CNN believe the "facts" that CNN broadcasts. And the folks who watch nothing but Fox believe a different, but equally misleading, set of "facts." And so we have both sides arguing that the other is "fake news."

Both sides are biased; it is up to us as sentient beings to use our brains for critical thinking. The old saying is that there are two sides to every story. The truth usually lies somewhere in-between.