PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday morning hellos!!!

Monique
May 15th, 2018, 08:17 AM

Good morning friends. Well I can't say that yesterday was boring and uneventful. First of all, got more laundry done and hung outside. I love the smell from hanging outside. Second of all, I drove Eli home, stopped at Michael's and Walmart on the way home. Picked up a second clothesline and treated myself to a milkshake.

Driving home I thought I could spot smoke in the distance but as I drove it seemed to disappear. Got home and was on the phone when I hear a rather large plane over the house. Looked out and it was very low, it seemed to almost touch the trees. Then another plane and another plane when we (all the neighbours were out) realized that they were water bombers. Yes a forest fire closer than we thought. We are not very far from a lake big enough for them to fill with water. What a site for those living on the lake, some have posted pictures on FB. This went on for 4 hours. It had stopped for a bit but I guess there were hot spots and they returned. The sound of the planes flying so low over our house gave me the willies. But all has been quiet this morning. I am not sure how it happened but a shed caught fire with the bush behind it. 2 sheds were lost as far as I know, no houses or human life. I just may have to take a walk later this morning.

Today I think I am going to try and get a quilt sandwiched.

Have a great day everyone.

KPH
May 15th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Wow, Monique, That would be something to see. I'm so glad no one was hurt.

Yesterday, we kept the little ones and delivered them to Nana and Nandy so DS#1 could finish his grading for the school year. He's got more to do today, it's all due tomorrow. From what he's said, it's all exams at this point. DS#2 and I mailed the quilt to Jerrod then started shopping. He pretty much struck out on the pants that he was hunting for, but I picked up new sneakers, two new shirts and a sweater to take to church on Sundays (I'm tired of freezing).

Todays plan, since DS#2 is going to work after while, is to get back to work on his quilt and make a grocery list for Wednesday. I've decided to make Grandma Mac's Chicken Pot Pie or Aunt Alma's Veggie Casserole. Either will be easy to throw together on Sunday afternoon for the Crock and Role dinner.

Update on Chris, he's just about finished with radiation. He'll have a break and then go in to see if the tumor is shrinking. He's still optimistic but looking forward to a break in treatments.

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength and wisdom. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

JCY
May 15th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Good Morning ~ I never made it to the sewing room yest. Instead I changed the bed, aired the pillows outside on the line, did laundry & other stuff. I hope to get back to the FMQ today. I got the first e-m video from Angela Walters about quilting feathers. Haven't practiced it yet. That's one design I haven't mastered yet, so I will do some practicing to improve my skills.

We made it all day yest. without rain or thunderstorms. Even had some sun breaks. This a.m. is clear & a chilly 46 deg. The furnace kicked on. The Pinery, which is an area S. of Denver, got hit with 4-6" of pea to marble sized hail yest. afternoon. No damage to houses or cars, but it brought down leaves. The hail was so deep they had to clear the roads with the plows & people were out shoveling their driveways. Where else but in Colorado?!

Baking DH's spelt bread is on my agenda for today.

chelea
May 15th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I've been awake since 4:44 to be exact and I'm not a morning person.
This is the time of year when quilting takes a back seat to gardening. I got a good sized flower bed weeded and mulched yesterday and was so pooped after that I was too tired to sew. It was beautiful and warm yesterday and the smell of my lily of the valley was rewarding me for my hard work. For me, gardening is total mind relaxation. No unpleasant thoughts drifting in...it's just me and the dirt.
My latest quilt, on the other hand, is giving me heartburn. I purchased a Manderley fat-eighth bundle (36 pieces) thinking I would have enough for a full size Plus Sign quilt. Nope. I cut each piece into (8) 4 1/2" squares. Each plus sign takes 5 squares, and I thought the extra 3 squares would complete the edges. Nope. Not enough plus signs to fill in the middle.
Plan B: Disappearing 9 Patch, with the same colored center square so it has some sort of a pattern. Bummer, this fabric was perfect for a Plus Sign. I will never again purchase a fat-eighth bundle. Never.
It's looking like rain today. Perfect weather to sew.

Bubby
May 15th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Good Morning Everyone...Monique, that was surely a bit of excitement for you and the neighborhood. We live close to Ft Leonard Wood Army Base and we get all sorts of things happening involving planes and helicopters.

Jeff will be off work for a few days with bronchitis. He's on two meds and an inhaler.

That's too bad Michele. It's a disappointment when the fabric doesn't work out. I only buy fat eighths for zipper bags.

I have to take Dottie to the groomer this morning and I need to get my wiggle on. We are having storms so I will take the big truck.

Have a good day everyone.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 15th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Good morning ladies,
Monique, I remember when I first met DH. He was living on the Ottawa River and there were fires up the river, bombers were dropping in front of his house, loading up water and flying down the river. He did a video to show me on our 2nd date. He was so excited, just like a kid. It takes a lot to get this guy excited. Glad there was minimal damage. And today, rain.

Sunday afternoon I did get to work on my xmas Quatrefoil. It is growing in size. Don't know why I do this, but it will be a king size for our bed at xmas time. I made this pattern before and I love it. I am making it with the 14 FQs I won at guild meeting. I had the perfect background, Ivory with gold metallic swirls. I did get to sew for an hour last night, and have a good number of blocks under construction.

I had a wonderful day yesterday. The sun was shining and weather was warm. My son dropped by and he got the BBQ fired up and we had burgers. After that, I went for a much needed massage. It's then I realized how frazzled and time-challenged these past few weeks have been. I realized that those few hours of sewing on Sunday was like a yoga and meditation session for me. I have to do this more often. I am never stressed when sewing. Never have been, no matter how challenging a project can be.

Today, our cleaning lady is coming by. This has been a godsend for me. I can keep up in between weeks. I may sew this morning. Not going to get any yardwork done, as it will be sprinkling most of the day.

Good day everyone. Sending positive thoughts for those facing challenges.

MissMay
May 15th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Boy do I NEED this this morning, be back to post after I have a cup or two.

RockinLou
May 15th, 2018, 09:52 AM

I love it! It's almost 7pm here in Almaty and I think 5 cups wouldn't have been enough for me today!! I'm a teacher, it's May. Enough said on that.

I got home tonight and my mom wanted to chat on Skype, the kids were happy to see her. My brother's living back home with my parents after struggling with mental illness this year (not new, he's been up and down as long as I can even remember now) and he didn't pop on to say hello... I haven't spoken to him since he was hospitalized in January. It's not that I'm "not talking to him" it's just that I haven't talked to him. It's super awkward but Im not really sure what to do.

I'm supposed to talk to a school shortly that I've interviewed with three times in the past month. Yes, all plans still point to Morocco, but there are certain conditions under which DH and I agree to leave some doors open. I'm hoping this place makes a decision soon, or I'm going to have to call off this long-winded courtship and focus on Morocco....

I'm calling in sick tomorrow and sending the kids to school anyway. glorious. I do it maybe once a year if I'm lucky!!

KPH
May 15th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I love it! It's almost 7pm here in Almaty and I think 5 cups wouldn't have been enough for me today!! I'm a teacher, it's May. Enough said on that.

I got home tonight and my mom wanted to chat on Skype, the kids were happy to see her. My brother's living back home with my parents after struggling with mental illness this year (not new, he's been up and down as long as I can even remember now) and he didn't pop on to say hello... I haven't spoken to him since he was hospitalized in January. It's not that I'm "not talking to him" it's just that I haven't talked to him. It's super awkward but Im not really sure what to do.

I'm supposed to talk to a school shortly that I've interviewed with three times in the past month. Yes, all plans still point to Morocco, but there are certain conditions under which DH and I agree to leave some doors open. I'm hoping this place makes a decision soon, or I'm going to have to call off this long-winded courtship and focus on Morocco....

I'm calling in sick tomorrow and sending the kids to school anyway. glorious. I do it maybe once a year if I'm lucky!!

I remember those days! I can't say I miss them at all.

I hope everything works out for you and yours, sooner rather than later!

grammaterry
May 15th, 2018, 10:24 AM
Oh goodness your lives all seem so full. I am getting a little down with the remodel of one room. I don't know how people can do a whole house. I got one half of the kitchen floor sanded and two coats of poly on yesterday. It got too hot to spread it in the late afternoon. DH has been working on the ceiling in the back room and Lord does he grumble.
I'll move the table and the birds cage back in this morning. Then I will try to help DH with his project.

JCY
May 15th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Well, Terry, your life sounds more than full with the remodel of that room, sanding floors, applying poly, etc. I know you will be relieved when the big project is completed. We're all busy in different ways. The house is starting to smell yeasty. I need to eat my breakfast before it's time to knead the dough.

KarenC
May 15th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Terry don't feel bad. Most of us don't remodel whole houses and we don't do it ourselves. I read your posts and wonder where does she find the energy. Here it is almost 9:30 in the morning and I'm still drinking my first cup of tea. Well, at least I have already showered, although I do need to dry my hair. Yesterday was babysitting, that baby girl is growing up too fast. Trying to walk, but such a pleasant personality. Today is quilt group. I have one to turn in and decide what to do with a panel that's next in line.

Hoping and praying for a good day for everyone.

MissMay
May 15th, 2018, 11:45 AM

Feeling better after 1 extra large mug of coffee so I'll chat a bit. Had a lovely dinner on Mother's
day with all of our family that live in Jersey, phone call and flowers from DS#3 in southern CA and calls from his 2 children. Best gift was the "quilts" DGGSons who live in northern CA made me. Caspian, 4, and his brother Tristan, 2, each made me one from construction paper. They wanted to get on a plane and give them to me in person, just wish they could have done that. Have to take a few photos of my quilts and also the handprint flower Mother's Day card from their cousins James, 2, and Drew, 1 month old who live in New Orleans. These are the best kind of gifts by far.

Nwmnteacher
May 15th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Good morning everyone,
It's supposed to hit 80 degrees today....might have to turn on the air conditioning later on! Since we live on the plains, it's usually windy; it will be blowing about 20 mph today. I do get tired of the wind.
Everyone sounds so busy with spring projects. Isn't it interesting how we get the urge to fix up, clean up, and declutter in the spring? Last week I went through my closet and bagged up about 2/3 of my wardrobe. I still had all my "teacher clothes", and I certainly don't need them anymore. My wardrobe now consists mostly of denim and t-shirts, and I love it. More than once, while I was still teaching, I wished our district would adopt uniforms so I wouldn't have to stand in front of the closet every day and wonder what to wear!!!
I'm still fighting with the kidney stone; yesterday was particularly bad; Advil barely took the edge off. The little bugger must have been doing gymnastics! I'm hoping it will pass soon. This is my second one. I thought I made it clear after the first one that I didn't want another one, but my body apparently didn't listen! :-) It's been about 3 weeks since it started. I haven't been in the sewing room much....just don't feel up to it. But the Janome will arrive later this week, and I know I'll want to play with her (her name is going to be Marge in honor of my mom) no matter how I feel. I think I'll make up some quilt sandwiches today to use for practicing.
Yesterday my wonderful husband cleaned out our chest freezer because we had ordered a 1/4 of beef. Couldn't believe what was in the bottom and how old some of it was!!! It's super clean now....unfortunately lots had to be thrown out. We both decided to watch what we put in there, and use it before it gets too old. He's picking up the beef today, and it will be great to have readily available. We grill a lot of burgers in the summer.
I got up late this morning, so I'm slow in getting ready for the day. I better decide what I want to accomplish today. Blessings for all. Jeanne

RockinLou
May 15th, 2018, 03:00 PM
I remember those days! I can't say I miss them at all.

I hope everything works out for you and yours, sooner rather than later!

Well, I was offered this other position, but it's a bit of a leap of faith, so DH and I are still deciding what to do.