PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Trivia: Wedding Cake

Star lover
May 15th, 2018, 07:38 AM
.......Let them eat cake! Sorry, couldn't help myself!

Royal wedding cakes through the ages.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert: married 10 February, 1840. Victoria and Albert’s wedding cake was the first to be decorated with figures of the bride and groom on top. The two-tier cake was nine feet in diameter and weighed 300 lbs.

King Edward VII of the United Kingdom and Princess Alexandra of Denmark: married 10 March 1863.

Prince Leopold and Princess Helen of Waldeck-Pyrmont: married 27 April 1882.

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, married Nov. 20, 1947, wedding with a 9-ft. tall, four-tier cake that weighed in at a whopping 500 lbs.

Prince Charles and Princess Diana: married July 29, 1981. Topping out at more than 5 feet high, the cake was adorned with both the Prince and his family’s royal coat of arms, the couple’s first initials and a spray of roses, lilies of the valley and orchids.

Queen Elizabeth Prince Albert: married April 26, 1923.

Monaco’s Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly: married on April 19, 1956. The upper two tiers featured a built-in cage that held a pair of live turtledoves – they were released when the couple cut into the cake with Prince Rainier’s sword – and was topped off with a revolving miniature of the bride and groom that played “Ave Maria” and Mendelssohn’s “Wedding March.”

Prince William and Princess Kate: married 29 April 2011. It was an eight-tier fruitcake decorated with over 900 leaf and floral touches. But a second chocolate-cookie cake was also served at the special request of the sweet-toothed bridegroom.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding cake will be banan-flavored. This will be the first royal wedding cake made from bananas, which are traditionally fruit cake.

For some reason, I have no taste for cake.......but my, some of the pictures are something else!

KPH
May 15th, 2018, 09:04 AM
We had a lemon pound cake with lemon curd filling. Hate to say it, but the cake topper that was packed and frozen for us by Howard's aunt tasted better than the cake did on our wedding day. I guess that lemon curd soaked in and made the cake even more moist. It was delicious!

JCY
May 15th, 2018, 09:06 AM
Wow, those are amazing. Does anyone know if Prince Harry & Meghan's wedding will be televised live?

Monique
May 15th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Wow, those are amazing. Does anyone know if Prince Harry & Meghan's wedding will be televised live?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-watch-royal-wedding-meghan-markle-prince-harry-1108015

Hulamoon
May 15th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding cake will be banana-flavored.

I kept hearing lemon/ elderberry for the upcoming wedding.

https://www.elle.com/uk/life-and-culture/culture/news/a42433/prince-harry-meghan-markle-claire-ptak-pastry-chef-wedding-cake/

jjkaiser
May 15th, 2018, 09:33 AM
It was fun looking at these beautiful cakes! I wonder how nerve wracking it was transporting them from the bakery where they made them to the reception hall. Thanks for digging up this info, and esp the photos.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 15th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Those are some ending. Cakes my mom used to make tiered wedding cakes on request. They were her fruit cake recipe, which took 8 months to be perfect. All I know is that there was lots of booze, and she froze them. As my cousins planned their weddings, the y lined up my mom to make their cake.

Unfortunately, when I got married the first time, it was less than 2 months from engagement to wedding, so my mom didn't have enough time to make my cake. But she did have a large fruit cake in the freezer, which was cut up for guests. I had a tiered cake, but I think it was regular cake. The bottom layer was made of wood, and decorated, but it had a secret drawer where the fruit cake was stored.

My 2nd DH is deadly allergic to most of the ingredients of fruit cake, so I never keep in the house.

My best girlfriend had a multi tiered wedding cake with fountain. It was filled with red fruit punch. It was a fail as it looked like blood was being shed. It was Friday the 13th. Marriage failed - (blood) tears were shed during the divorce. I haven't seen one like that ever.
I would like a chocolate fountain.

JCY
May 15th, 2018, 11:21 AM
I answered my own question by going to Google. It looks like all the major networks are carrying the wedding, but I sure am not getting up in the middle of the night to watch it. There are some specials scheduled that will hit the highlights. Years ago I remember getting up in the night to watch Princess Di's wedding. I was in the Pacific time zone then, so it was very early.

Debbie Watters
May 15th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Those are certainly amazing cakes! Enjoyed the information that accompanied the pictures ... Thank you ...

sew-what2015
May 15th, 2018, 12:12 PM
I can't remember what kind of cake I had. Just wanted to say that I love Princess Grace's wedding dress and cap/veil.