PDA

View Full Version : Update on PO food drive

Hulamoon
May 13th, 2018, 01:18 PM
First thing I almost forgot to put it out there. lol It got picked up, but I don't know by who. I have a large hedge around the yard and I can't see the mail box,but I know the sound of the mail truck. I did notice a red truck slow down by the driveway opening. I later went out to take some trash out by another opening in the hedge and saw the truck coming back down. It's a one way street.

So who knows, that will be a mystery. It still felt good to do it. I later looked up where the food banks are located and might go that route instead.

Mimi_Howard
May 13th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Got a chuckle out of the bag they left in the mailbox on Friday. They used the bag from last year.. even had 2017 and Sat 13th for pickup. Hey at least the post office saved some money this year on the bags! I was outside when postman came so I know he got it. Felt bad... he is wearing a heart monitor, it started beeping and had to stop and retape and rehook it up. Our neighborhood is last on the route. Gave him water and other liquids to take with him, he was happy.

KPH
May 13th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Well, poo! I forgot! I bet that's what happened.... I knew something was happening this weekend and I sent the chemical stuff with Jim Friday. Come to find out, that recycling is next week. I bet I switched the event dates in my pea brain. Oh well. I'll be watching out for food bank pick ups at the grocery store.

Hulamoon
May 14th, 2018, 01:14 AM
Got a chuckle out of the bag they left in the mailbox on Friday. They used the bag from last year.. even had 2017 and Sat 13th for pickup. Hey at least the post office saved some money this year on the bags! I was outside when postman came so I know he got it. Felt bad... he is wearing a heart monitor, it started beeping and had to stop and retape and rehook it up. Our neighborhood is last on the route. Gave him water and other liquids to take with him, he was happy.

That's nice of you :) I had a bag from last year too and they are both the same. Funny thing is that plastic bags were banned years ago on this island, but I guess you really can't leave out a paper one. I wonder how many dogs lift their legs up on them. Yuck.

Maybe it would be nice to leave a note in the box to say thanks to let you know it was actually the PO who picked it up too.

Mimi_Howard
May 14th, 2018, 02:29 AM
I wandered too just how many bags were actually picked up the PO vs people walking by and taking the food bags.

dwil23
May 14th, 2018, 03:35 AM
I wandered too just how many bags were actually picked up the PO vs people walking by and taking the food bags.

Of course there is always the possibility that people steal, that can't be avoided. However, just because your letter carrier does not pick it up does not necessarily mean that the food drive did not get it. Volunteer postal employees, on their own time, often pick up from larger routes to assist the letter carriers. If you think about it, a carrier could pick up a LOT of food on his route and not even have space in his truck for it. It also delays him/her from delivering the mail.

Thanks to all who helped - from someone who forgot again this year.:icon_neutral:

chelea
May 14th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Well, it worked. The mail lady left a blue bag last week with instructions to leave it out by 8am Sunday. So we filled it with canned goods, hung it by the mailbox and at some point yesterday they picked it up.

MaggieSue
May 14th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Ours was picked up by a red truck following the postal truck.

Vonnie
May 15th, 2018, 02:11 AM
We had a heat wave on Saturday and did not like the idea of the canned goods sitting for hours in the direct sun. So DH took ours and our sons donations to the Post Office.