PDA

View Full Version : It's Saturday

JCY
May 12th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Good Morning ~ It's raining this a.m. It looks like a good soaking out there. It's supposed to be only in the 60's today. Sounds like a good day to sew! Yest. I sandwiched a sample block for practice FMQ & quilted it. It's ready for binding. I'll finish it with binding all the way around so it will be a small table topper. It's a block like I used in the table runner. I plan to get back to the FMQ of the other quilt. I didn't work on it for a while because my side was bothering me. The latest massage / cranial sacral work I had done really helped my side, so I'm feeling more ambitious.

My gr. dau. in TX called yest. afternoon; we had a good long chat -- 1 hr. & 15 min. We don't get to talk too often. She has 2 pre-school boys; the younger one (19 mos.) is so active that he runs her ragged, so she doesn't get much time for meaningful phone conversations. I always enjoy talking with her.

I looked over the Kaffe Fassett DD this a.m. & was mildly tempted. It's really pretty, bright & colorful, but.... I already have quite a few KF fabrics in my stash, so I'll pass.

Have a great day! Prayers for Bonnie, Cokie, & so many others in need.

grammaterry
May 12th, 2018, 09:36 AM
I had been hoping that M* would run the gift certificate special this mothers day but alas, I was wrong.
Yesterday I cut and sorted more fabric. Weather is perfect so I'm thinking no sewing room today.
DH is getting closer to getting the floor joists under the house replaced. He has been cutting a lot of trees around the house to give it more light so maybe we won't have so much moisture and it will stem the rot.

KPH
May 12th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Good Morning All,

It seems a bit overcast this morning. DS#1 has started his summer break and realizes he's really had a hard school year. While he loves what he does, he takes on more than he should. Oh well, I know where he gets that from.

There are several things in the garage he was looking at that would be good for camping. We talked about Scouting and the years of enjoyment we had as a family through the scouting movement. It breaks my heart that Boy Scouts have caved to political correctness and that my grandsons won't be a part of 'scouting'. Jim's looking into alternatives and I'll keep the tools of the trade in case they do need them in their future endeavors.

I talked to my MIL for over an hour yesterday. She had kidney cancer several years ago and is having problems with her one kidney now. She's made the appointments for her knee shots, and her oncologist for early June. She's hoping to be able to go to Lake Junaluska for her BIL's memorial service mid June. Since her youngest son is definitely going, I'm kind of on the fence whether I should go or not.

I'll continue to work on Mike's quilt today. I'm going to pull a layer cake from my stash and see if I can get something pulled together to send to Jerrod. I want him to be wrapped in love and know that even though we're here, he's always loved.

Prayers for those in need for healing, strength and wisdom. Prayers of thanksgiving for all of our many blessings.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 12th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Good morning ladies,
The weather turned cooler yesterday but the sun was/is shining and it will warm up over the week. We may do some yardwork, but not overstretched ourselves. I will go to Lowes this morning, as the lawnmower we bought last weekend is on sale, so we should get back about $135 back. , I will stop at the Spring Plant Sale at a local church, on my way to pick up mom's laundry and take out her clothes for tomorrow's brunch.

DH & I went to the quilt show yesterday. I had seen the set up the day before as I volunteered setting up the members' market. It is a new venue and much smaller. Parking was an issue, and we had to park at nearby local businesses. That will not go over well with members. We saw a few nice and interesting quilts, but overall, I have to say that I was not wowed. Perhaps members, like me, were leary of putting their quilts up for show in a new venue. I heard that the other guild in the city has also booked it for their show next year. They have less members, so this may not be an issue. I guess we cannot complain, as the organizing committee does their best, and volunteers. DH said to pick what I wanted for my birthday, so I picked a lovely box of Garden Delights by In The Beginning. It has 36 prints of 1/3 meter. I bought the books last week, and know exactly which quilts I will make. It also came in a lovely storage box. I didn't buy anything else, although I did try the Gammill Vision 2.0. Oohhh, it is smooth. I have to seriously compare it with the HQ Amara that I have been renting. The only issue is that the dealer is about 4 hours away, although they will come set up and train you in your home. More of an issue, is which room do we sacrifice to put it in.

Got to get moving. Thinking of everyone going through difficult times and sending positive vibes.

Today is my grandson's birthday party - just for little friends and yound cousins. I guess I'm ok with that - no adults. I would be really upset if the ex is there.

Carlie Wolf
May 12th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Suzanne I didn't know that if something goes on sale after you've purchased it that you can go back and have them honor it? What's that about???

Today's beautiful, suppose to be 83 but the humidity is really low so it's just lovely, even a slight breeze. I did a few odds and ends in the garden early, Got my Sweet Peas planted, I decided to try them in pots to put around my back porch and planted the leftovers along one of the fences. Apparently some birds have nested in one of my elderberry bushes and they kicked up quite a fuss when I planted near there. I did notice last Fall that there was a nest in there for the first time since I've been here. I planted several blackberry bushes along the back fence two years ago and it looks like I'll finally get fruit on them this year. I love love love blackberries, they're my favorite and I could eat them until I'm purple in the face. Apparently the birds think they'll blossom this year too because they're starting to line up on the telephone lines like a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds. There will be a mighty fight back their when they are ready and it's one I plan on winning!

I should be able to finish off the strips for the 8 point stars for my next Mix and Match Trail Quilt today. Also I need to do some internet searches to see if I can use the graphics programs, graphic pad and Sew Art and Sew What Pro on my other laptop that is ubuntu instead of windows. That way I could work it out on the porch sometimes in the Spring/Summer.

KarenC
May 12th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Carlie, several retailers not only will match a lower advertised price from a competitor (bring in add), but will honor the sale price if it goes on sale within 7-10 days.

I have used this on a number of occasions, now if I could only remember to ask about senior citizen discounts when dining out.

Carlie Wolf
May 12th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Boy Karen I didn't know that! I'm thinking of all the money I could have saved or gotten back. I did know that some places would match ads but didn't know about after a sale rebate.

Haha I forget about Senior Citizen rates at restaurants too. That said, I have had a waitress ask if I'd like it and then I wonder if I should be happy or insulted that they noticed! (I'm nice though I pretend I'm happy)

chelea
May 12th, 2018, 01:34 PM
After a gorgeous week of mid 70's and loads of sun, we've got a soggy Saturday goin' on. Can't complain.
Carlie, I've never grown berries but I see our neighbors putting netting over their blueberry bushes and I'm assuming it's to keep out the birds. Hubs has been planting some of the garden so far...several varieties of lettuce, kale, radishes, onions, parsley, garlic. He's the king of lettuce. The leaves are so tender and we enjoy salads of just lettuce and thinly sliced sweet onions, olive oil, cider vinegar, S&P. Yum.
I'm way behind on spring cleaning this year. One last room today and I'm finished! Maybe it's an old-fashioned idea from my childhood, but I just have to scrub everything top to bottom in the spring. My mind feels better when everything is neat and clean. The sewing room is another matter! I chalk that up to the creative process and just shut the door.
I went to my LQS yesterday and the owner cut my fabric and cashed me out. There was a couple from VA behind me in line and they started asking her about the building, which is in an old mill built in the 1800's. Since I didn't know the whole story, I stayed to listen. Here's a recent article in our local paper:
http://www.providencejournal.com/news/20180428/small-business--making-it-work-fabric-store-survives-seamlessly
Hope you all have a peaceful Saturday.

Mischiefkat1
May 12th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Well, I got a surprise this am. I thought people who sold fabric on-line were selling their stash. Hmm I'm in J's this am waiting at the cutting table just idling. The woman ahead of me is almost done. I started paying attention when I realized that she was ahead of me a week or so ago with a cart full of flannel & fleece. This week she's got all this non matching fabric and she's buying all that's left on the bolt. So I ask the question "what are you making" "Nothing I'm selling it on-line". Well it must be a good business because I watched from behind as she counted out the money. Lots of cash.
Hugs & prayers to all. Kathy

chelea
May 12th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Well, I got a surprise this am. I thought people who sold fabric on-line were selling their stash. Hmm I'm in J's this am waiting at the cutting table just idling. The woman ahead of me is almost done. I started paying attention when I realized that she was ahead of me a week or so ago with a cart full of flannel & fleece. This week she's got all this non matching fabric and she's buying all that's left on the bolt. So I ask the question "what are you making" "Nothing I'm selling it on-line". Well it must be a good business because I watched from behind as she counted out the money. Lots of cash.
Hugs & prayers to all. Kathy

That thought has occurred to me...haven't we all had a precut sitting on the shelf forever, then when we decide what to make we don't have quite enough for a border or we need just one extra precut...then it's out of stock and we're searching frantically. That's when desperation sinks in and we're willing to pay (just about) anything. Enter the Etsy sellers, ready to rescue us...for a price.

Carlie Wolf
May 12th, 2018, 03:50 PM
chelea, I discovered two years ago that romaine lettuce grew really well in my garden. I love fresh salads too and love it with romaine. Then I discovered I have an allergy to it which was the last thing I'd have guessed until my sister mentioned it . I was heart broken :-(. I dug them out and gave them to a neighbor. I've always eaten romaine so I don't know why it's suddenly happening now. I'm not as big on other leaf lettuces.

JCY
May 12th, 2018, 07:19 PM
How disappointing to develop an allergy to Romaine lettuce, which has more nutrients that iceberg lettuce.

chelea
May 12th, 2018, 09:40 PM
I'd be so mad if I developed an allergy to lettuce! Don't you wonder sometimes if it's genetically modified food that isn't the culprit? I've read that gluten intolerance might be caused by GMO wheat. You didn't hear about food allergies so much years ago.

Carlie Wolf
May 12th, 2018, 10:42 PM
I heard about the gluten intolerance being linked to GMO a few years ago. My sister had said that romaine was somehow related to celery and she's been intolerant of celery for years. I never have been. And actually I don't know if that's even true. But the seeds I purchase I make sure they are not GMO. Besides I like gathering my own seeds from plants for future use. The high school 4-H has a plant sale every Spring , they plant it all themselves. I mentioned one year that they might do even better if they used non GMO seeds or at least seeded a section for organic heirloom. They haven't so I lost them as a resource for plants.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 13th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Suzanne I didn't know that if something goes on sale after you've purchased it that you can go back and have them honor it? What's that about???

Today's beautiful, suppose to be 83 but the humidity is really low so it's just lovely, even a slight breeze. I did a few odds and ends in the garden early, Got my Sweet Peas planted, I decided to try them in pots to put around my back porch and planted the leftovers along one of the fences. Apparently some birds have nested in one of my elderberry bushes and they kicked up quite a fuss when I planted near there. I did notice last Fall that there was a nest in there for the first time since I've been here. I planted several blackberry bushes along the back fence two years ago and it looks like I'll finally get fruit on them this year. I love love love blackberries, they're my favorite and I could eat them until I'm purple in the face. Apparently the birds think they'll blossom this year too because they're starting to line up on the telephone lines like a scene from Hitchcock's The Birds. There will be a mighty fight back their when they are ready and it's one I plan on winning!

I should be able to finish off the strips for the 8 point stars for my next Mix and Match Trail Quilt today. Also I need to do some internet searches to see if I can use the graphics programs, graphic pad and Sew Art and Sew What Pro on my other laptop that is ubuntu instead of windows. That way I could work it out on the porch sometimes in the Spring/Summer.
Carlie - most retailers/large chains have these policies. Lowes, it's 10 days, others it's up to 14 days. Fabric stores and smaller retailers, not so much. Canadian Tire, our version of large hardware/everything store does also. That's why I watch the flyers.