PDA

View Full Version : Drywall repair

kimsophia
May 9th, 2018, 05:37 AM
We had a leak under our new toilet that soaked the floorboard and got moldy. I discovered the leak in my downstairs walk-in closet as there was a large water stain on the back wall. We got that rotten floor sawed out and the drywall does not feel soft, but there is a "damp" smell that seems to be lessening, but isn't gone. I mentioned it to my husband and he got a bucket of Damp Rid which he thinks is enough. He also claims that to get the drywall repaired would cost "thousands of dollars". I have zero confidence in home repairmen after my nightmare experiences so I guess I am just wandering, does replacing a piece of drywall cost thousands of dollars? I just don't want us to get mold in the walls and damage the resale value of our home.

TMP
May 9th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Have you corrected the leak that caused it ? How big is the spot on the sheet rock ? I can't imagine it costing thousands . I would be more worried about finding someone who is willing to do a small job .

I have patched sheet rock myself. I am NOT handy. I went to Home Depot and they showed me what to buy. Sandy (my lab) tore a big piece off the wall in the hall. If you don't want to pay someone then maybe you could go to Lowes or Home Depot and ask their advise. Mold scares me.

MHG Winnower
May 9th, 2018, 06:17 AM
Minor drywall repair should not cost thousands of dollars! Here's a video which should easy to follow. These guys are pros so please pay special attention to what they say about the drywall compound. The mistake most folks make is "glopping" it on too heavily.
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-patch-drywall

Bubby
May 9th, 2018, 07:44 AM
We deal with drywall issues and repair every month at the apartments. If the issue is water related we have our plumber do it. There are drywall repair kits and videos on Youtube. You could definitely do this repair yourself.

JulieC
May 9th, 2018, 07:47 AM
I had a painter repair / replace a corner of a bathroom ceiling that had been damaged when Mom's roof leaked. It was included in the rest of the job (he painted both bathrooms and Mom's kitchen), but was not expensive at all.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 9th, 2018, 09:03 AM
It should not cost thousands, but when you remove the drywall, you may want to treat the wood and surrounding area with TSP. It's a product to remove and prevent further mould growth.
M
I had a kitchen water dispenser that had a small crack in the plastic tubing. It leaked all day and caused my basement ceiling to fall and 5-6" of water everywhere. Although the water wa clean, the recovery crew removed all the gym rock 2' above the floor, all carpets and furniture. They then treated all the walls, wood and floor with this type of product. Since this leak all happened while I was at work, there was no mould. In my case, the repairs cost a lot, but that also included replacing furniture and TV, etc.

Home Depot or Lowes can provide advice for a small job.

grammaterry
May 9th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Depending onhow damp, when it drys your DH might be more comfortable with painting it with a product like KILZ. But if there is a chance of mold, I'd follow the above advice

bubba
May 9th, 2018, 02:11 PM
You can just cut out the affected area and repatch it with a small piece of drywall. Several places sell cut down pieces of it.

Said she who sheetrocked, taped, AND textured a new bedroom AND kitchen!

Bubby
May 9th, 2018, 03:28 PM
You can just cut out the affected area and repatch it with a small piece of drywall. Several places sell cut down pieces of it.

Said she who sheetrocked, taped, AND textured a new bedroom AND kitchen!

You're my kind of woman, Pat! I do so many things normally considered man jobs. I'm a decent plumber, household current electrician and I can lay tile and carpet. Jeff doesn't let me do all of these things anymore since I had shoulder surgery.

kimsophia
May 9th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the information, everybody. The stained area is about three feet by three feet. We don't own a saw, but I suppose I could buy a small one for this project. I'll check more online.

GuitarGramma
May 9th, 2018, 11:44 PM
My daughter had an upstairs leak that they caught quickly and had repaired. But now they have a 6"x9" square cut out of their downstairs ceiling. They can't find anyone who'll do repair that small a hole without a huge minimum charge. But the minimum charge they're being quoted is on the order of $250, which is far less than "thousands of dollars."

Let us know what you and your hubby decide!

jjkaiser
May 10th, 2018, 12:35 AM
I have no advice or experience but like reading these posts anyway. I am so impressed how knowledgeable everyone is, and helpful! Who would ever think you could find this on a quilting forum!! Gotta love it.

bubba
May 10th, 2018, 02:46 PM
You're my kind of woman, Pat! I do so many things normally considered man jobs. I'm a decent plumber, household current electrician and I can lay tile and carpet. Jeff doesn't let me do all of these things anymore since I had shoulder surgery.

Pat does not do electricity! Years ago, I did do basic plumbing, but it's been a long time.

My dad was a handyman (as his job) and he could do anything. Pretty sure I got it from him ♥

Heather
May 10th, 2018, 04:52 PM
We had a big section to be replaced in the ceiling after a roof leak. It was just shy of a sheet of drywall in size. It was about $200? I think. We weren't about to try it on the ceiling, the walls ok, but not the ceiling. They textured and painted it also.

BarbaraB
May 10th, 2018, 06:39 PM
My husband and I ripped out our living room a couple of years ago and put in new electric lines and insulation and walls. He moved the heavy stuff and did the electrical work.....I'm terrified of wiring since I was electrocuted. I did the rest of the wall work. Our living room is about 22 x 15. The cost was less than 2000.00. A small patch like yours should be cheap and it's easy to do.

kimsophia
May 10th, 2018, 08:37 PM
I've been sewing very skinny fine mesh bags for Damp-Rid granule insertion...as there is a 1 1/2 inch hole in the ceiling of the closet from a decades-ago leak. I added a long ribbon for future removal and for the water to run down to a bucket below. The toilet is right above there. DH says he can see up inside that hole with a flashlight and the piping looks dry, the wood is all dry-looking and no more water is coming down the ribbon from up in the ceiling. We can't see the area behind the wall as there is no hole there but he's confident that we will just be able to paint it with Kilz. I must say there is no more damp smell, at all, which was my main trouble.