PDA

View Full Version : Time for a break

KPH
May 8th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Starting with the positive- I did get two shelves in the garage cleaned off. Tubes of caulk that nobody bothered to cover, cans of ??? (stuff that I have no idea what it is and I don't want to learn), rope, cord, more rope, a hitch... and more all ready to send to recycling/ donation. So, something's been accomplished out there. There are still 2 boxes to deal with but they're over the freezer on a high shelf and I'm not planning to climb up there to get them.

So, I come back in and wash up, because all that stuff is just nasty dirty, and head into the sewing room. I'd sewn together enough 1/2 sq triangles to make 4 of the star blocks. I had them all sorted out and laid the first one to sew. All put together and I'm pressing when I realize that one block is on backwards. I threw up my hands, cut the iron off and walked out of the room. I'll get the ripper out and deal with it in a bit but right now I'm taking a brain break.

I hope everyone is having a unchallenging day.

RockinLou
May 8th, 2018, 12:38 PM
oh man, I would take a break then too! Quilting should be our solitude and serenity, when it gets me frustrated I walk away too.

well done on the garage. DH complains that our Condo doesn't have a garage. I think it's a good thing!!

Sharyn J
May 8th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Oh, I so understand your frustration! For two days I made some sample blocks of Hunter's Star. I was planning on using the pattern to make a quilt for a wedding gift. With a sample in front of me, I sewed the wrong sides, ripped, and repeated sewing the wrong sides. I couldn't even tell you how many times I did it and the pirate language my dog had to endear. I swear that if my fingers were made of glue and attached to the fabric, I would still be able to turn those blocks before I got to the machine!

Sometimes, I just feel less than brillant..........

Caroline T.
May 8th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Oh I feel your frustration (and dust). I too am working on the garage & attached workshop. The workshop will be my new sewing studio, but first had to get the garage de-cluttered, cleaned, and organized so that I would have room for all the accumulation from the workshop (that never was a workshop - just a catch all). Two trips to Goodwill, two more to the dump, return boxes of stuff that belonged to a club that I use to be heavily involved in, and one more person I'm trying to get to come get his "stuff". Then I will be ready to start putting together my new area.

Funny the stuff you find when you start cleaning out the garage. I never realized I had so many duplicate (and triplicate) tools, usually bought because I couldn't find the original!

I haven't done much sewing these past few weeks because the above mentioned project (not to mention spring yard work) is keeping me busy, but every time I do decide to stitch up a few blocks, I also find that I'm making careless mistakes that only frustrate me. I think part of my problem, is that I'm so pre-occupied with the plans of the new studio, that I'm not focusing on the fabric in front of me.

BarbaraB
May 8th, 2018, 02:30 PM
My hat's off to you. The only way to clean out my garage is with a few well placed sticks of dynamite followed in turn by a bulldozer, loader, dump truck, grader, topsoil and grass seed. My husband saves everything and since I don't allow most of it in the house, it goes to the garage. It's the black hole of my existence. A huge box of washers from over 25 years ago is still there.....we may need them someday.
We did, however, get going on our garden. I went a little mad at the plant section at Lowe's. But now we have our summer container garden of tomato plants, and zucchini and strawberries are not far behind. Here's how we use plastic kitty litter tubs.....

Bubby
May 8th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Sometimes you have to walk away to clear your head. Don't bee too hard on yourself, Kat. Warm thoughts and prayers going up for you.

Star lover
May 8th, 2018, 02:40 PM
My hat's off to you. The only way to clean out my garage is with a few well placed sticks of dynamite followed in turn by a bulldozer, loader, dump truck, grader, topsoil and grass seed. My husband saves everything and since I don't allow most of it in the house, it goes to the garage. It's the black hole of my existence. A huge box of washers from over 25 years ago is still there.....we may need them someday.
We did, however, get going on our garden. I went a little mad at the plant section at Lowe's. But now we have our summer container garden of tomato plants, and zucchini and strawberries are not far behind. Here's how we use plastic kitty litter tubs.....

Yup, sometimes I wish I knew where I could buy dynamite.....the kind, if there is a kind, that wouldn't blow up the house! So much of the "ya never know, it might come in handy one day" stuff! I mean parts from cars that are decades gone....but someone.....sheesh already.

As for you kitty containers.....puuuuurrrrfect!

And Kat....we've all been there, done that, you did the best thing possible.....just walk away. So sew many times, I should have just walked away....and didn't.......I just never learn....

KPH
May 8th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Well walking away helped! All 4 star blocks for the next section are done! Halleluiah! I'm sitting here eyeing my Sticks and Stones debating if I want to lay it out and trim it up before I go back to making more half square triangles.

DS#1 should be calling soon on his way home from work. I'm going to tell him to come get the grill on the back porch if he needs it for Wed. He can bring it back when they're done with it.

KarenC
May 8th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you have all been busy. I just got home from quilt group where I remembered to bring machine, and items I needed to sew the border on, however left the power cord and foot pedal home. Needless to say, I didn't work on my projects. Did end up cutting some other items to make a lap quilt. This will be nice after making full bed sized quilts. I totally understand the frustration on cleaning garages. I had so much stuff to get rid of when I moved a few years ago, and was determined not to just move it to the new house.

Rhonda K
May 8th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Oh dear! Is today National Seam Ripper Day? LOL!

Nice to know our seam rippers don't get lonely. Glad you had a chance to fix the blocks!

geegeequilts
May 9th, 2018, 02:36 PM
Been working in the yard for several days now & feel as if I've won the lottery! Haven't been able to do that in nearly 3 years! BUT, I was standing at the fence separating my yard & my most wonderful neighbor, Karen & after chatting a bit, turned & tripped over a broken branch I didn't see!!!!!!!! Boy, there is no way you can fall gracefully!! I landed on my knees & right hand/arm. Karen came around & helped me do inventory on hurt body parts. Really sore & probably be more so tomorrow, so I quit for the day. I guess I got too excited about being able to be outside.

But, I love love my neighbor! She's about 5 years older than I am but you'd never know it. She works in her yard constantly & her beautiful flowers show it.
Want to go do some sewing but don't want to test sore knees just yet.

Gina