PDA

View Full Version : Postal service food drive?

Hulamoon
May 6th, 2018, 12:35 AM
I put out things last year and they never took it.I got a bag in the mail for next Sat today. Do you have this in your area? Do people steal i? Does a mail person not pick it up? I'm ready to fill it but not sure this is the best option for this program.

TMP
May 6th, 2018, 01:34 AM
I don't think I have ever heard of the USPS collecting food in our town. They may and I just might not be aware of it. I think its a nice idea. How very sad if people do steal it.

chelea
May 6th, 2018, 01:37 AM
We used to do this in our town many years ago. Can you drop it off at the post office instead of leaving it outside? Seems like a great idea.

pcbatiks
May 6th, 2018, 01:40 AM
They’ve done that in our area before. I think I would take it to the post office.

Ctbab
May 6th, 2018, 02:32 AM
The Letter Carriers food drive is nationwide and is the largest one-day food drive in the US. It is spearheaded by the National Association of Letter Carriers (city letter carrier's union) with the cooperation of the US Postal Service. Community volunteers load the food into vehicles/trucks for transfer to food banks. I seem to remember that the rural carriers participated also (not really sure on that). I do remember that donations came in after food drive day and were picked up about a week later. So I would say that you could bring your donations to the post office as long as your post office is staffed with city letter carriers (because they definitely participate because it is their union that organizes it).

Hulamoon
May 6th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Last year the whole neighborhood never got picked up. I'm talking blocks and blocks. I guess I'll try one more time. maybe last years carrier was just lazy. lol.

KPH
May 6th, 2018, 08:27 AM
I got the bag, too. My question is our boxes are way down the street... leave the bag there or here at the house on the porch?

KarenC
May 6th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Katrina, my guess would be to leave the bag by the boxes. This makes me realize that I don't remember getting the bag last year. At my old house we did get it every year. It was always gone later. I'll see if we get one this year. We don't have a dedicated mail carrier, so they could decide to skip it. I also don't pick up my mail every day, since it's down on the next street. I get the emails daily telling what mail is coming, so only go if it's something important or I think the box is full.

JCY
May 6th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Yes, they do that in our city, but I've never participated. I figure the mail carriers have enough to do without hauling food, too. Our local groc. stores have food drives & have boxes at the store.

Tracie T
May 6th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Yes, they do that in our city, but I've never participated. I figure the mail carriers have enough to do without hauling food, too. Our local groc. stores have food drives & have boxes at the store.

Funny you should say that because my husband is a mail carrier and he said that it's hard to get volunteers to help pick up the food. He has a walking route in town and said he would put a few items in his bag but you can only carry so much along with the mail. They would ask the people from the food bank to help pick up the food along the streets but they don't want to. Sadly, our post office doesn't advertise this event anymore because of the lack of help.

Carlie Wolf
May 6th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I noticed they did it in my neighborhood last year. I don't know how they did for it they'll do it again next year.

JulieC
May 6th, 2018, 09:27 AM
My local post office does this every year, but they don't provide the bags. I have donated a couple of times -- I don't have a lot in my pantry, so it's hard for me to fill a bag unless I buy the food specifically to donate. A lot of times they don't give us very much notice.

auntstuff
May 6th, 2018, 10:45 AM
My local post office does this every year, but they don't provide the bags. I have donated a couple of times -- I don't have a lot in my pantry, so it's hard for me to fill a bag unless I buy the food specifically to donate. A lot of times they don't give us very much notice.

Who says you have to fill the bag? Just do what you can, because every little bit helps.

SuzanneOrleansOntario
May 6th, 2018, 11:00 AM
That is a nice idea. We don't have these in Canada. All grocery stores have bins at the door for food donations for distribtution by local food banks. Sometimes they make special drives and have buses parked at specific stores. It's Fill the Bus drives.

sweetanne
May 6th, 2018, 12:09 PM
I love that program! Call your local post office and ask if your carrier will be participating.

Hulamoon
May 6th, 2018, 12:18 PM
I love that program! Call your local post office and ask if your carrier will be participating.

The carrier put the bag in my box and like I said, last year they never picked up? It has to be the carrier not wanting to do it. Or they should dispatch trucks just for this event.

If they don't pick up this time I'm going to go down and ask why.

CraftyBarb
May 6th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I don't recall my postal service ever doing this. However our recycling service does this I believe once a year. They leave the bag on your recycling bucket to put out on the date stated on the bag.

Simply Quilting
May 6th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Our town does it. There are volunteers that pick up the food. After the food is picked up it is taken back to the post office where it is sorted then taken to the food bank.

nativetexan
May 6th, 2018, 06:09 PM
they did it in Colorado. not sure about here in Texas. funny it wasn't picked up. Call the post office and see what the problem was.

Hulamoon
May 6th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Have you ever tried to call your local PO? Even if you can find a number it goes to a central office. They don't want you to call them. lol

LLLinda
May 7th, 2018, 03:28 PM
That is the truth. Last time I had a problem I ended up going to the post office to talk to them in person.

nativetexan
May 7th, 2018, 04:06 PM
well, visit the post office. I don't have one near me here but used to. I miss so many things being near me. sigh.
I hope their charity drive for food goes well.

Judy, USMC
May 7th, 2018, 05:57 PM
In Sunday's papers here in Chicago there are large ads asking for donations. Our instructions are to take the donated goods to the Post Office May 7-11 or leave it by the mailbox on the 12th. This drive has been going on for years.

Hulamoon
May 7th, 2018, 10:04 PM
I learned one other thing...don't buy so much that you won't use. I feel awful about stuff I had to toss! Some was just Costco tomato sauce and such, but still. I need to do better food planning! I filled two bags and will let you know if they follow through this time. Or find out where the food bank is :lol:

dwil23
May 7th, 2018, 11:03 PM
This is a nationwide event sponsored by the APWU NALC (National Association of Letter Carriers). It is always the second Saturday of May. The food is donated to local food banks. During the holidays (Nov- Dec) there are always lots of food drives, but by this time of year, the shelves are empty at the food banks and this is a way of helping to restock them.

If you did not receive a bag, any bag (or box) should do. And, yes, you should be able to drop it off at your local office. Often a separate truck is sent out on the routes to collect the food so that the regular carrier can do his or her own job.

Thank you for your support!

Blondie
May 8th, 2018, 05:31 AM
Never heard of this! What a shame to not know about this program. I've been involved with scouting when the boys were young and did food drives, organized a church food bank, but never heard of this program with the post office.